• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Neutral and bad natures

SeliphFroakie

With the natures system, there is a nature providing a boost for every Pokémon, except the horrid neutral ones. No good for battle, no good for contests. They don't provide a boost, and leave the stat that needs to be cut alone.

Anyone else annoyed by these neutral natures?

Also almost as bad are Lax and Gentle, are they ever useful? I'm going to now refer to them, along with the neutral ones (Hardy, Quirky, Serious, Docile, Bashful) as the seven deadly sins of Pokémon.

SeliphFroakie

You could do that or you could realize that a mixed sweeper could make good use of a neutral nature.
Most mixed sweepers run Hasty or Naive.

MidnightTheMightyena

Money for nothing
I don't hate them, they can be useful on some pokemon that are mixed sweepers and need the defense that hasty and naive cut. ;262;

Amadeus Windfall

Gespenst KIIIICK!
I like neutral natures - as someone who doesn't breed for natures and IVs and doesn't EV train, I'm probably not the sort who cares about these things anyway, but I like the neutral natures because they help a Pokemon be a good all-rounder in-game.

eternalglory

Private Eye
it adds a degree of the realism of natures in pokemon. Just like people, who can be average in many things or have a natural boost in certain abilities (strength, intelligence, etc.), so too can pokemon. The game is not necessarily made to make battle capabilities the best for all pokemon.

eternalglory

Private Eye
it adds a degree of the realism of natures in pokemon. Just like people, who can be average in many things or have a natural boost in certain abilities (strength, intelligence, etc.), so too can pokemon. The game is not necessarily made to make battle capabilities the best for all pokemon.

SeliphFroakie

I like neutral natures - as someone who doesn't breed for natures and IVs and doesn't EV train, I'm probably not the sort who cares about these things anyway, but I like the neutral natures because they help a Pokemon be a good all-rounder in-game.
Your post helped me hit on a realization: Neutral natures are for those who prefer the pre-RSE era.

Now name at least one situation where Lax and Gentle help.

All the other natures help someone at least:

Hardy, etc: Maybe transforming Mew? Also, Poketopia Pikachu has Hardy fixed for a nature, and I think so do some movie Darkrais.
Adamant: Metagross, (faster Dragon Dancers), etc
Lonely: Electivire (running Thunderbolt for Skarmory)
Naughty: Flygon
Brave: Rhyperior (w/ Trick Room support)
Bold: Weezing, Blissey, etc
Impish: Skarmory, Dusknoir, etc
Relaxed: Trick Room Jirachi
Modest: Magmortar, Salamence, etc
Mild: Typhlosion, etc
Rash: (Exploding) Heatran
Quiet: Tyranitar (Tyrani-boah moveset)
Calm: Togekiss
Careful: Dialga (Bulk Up), Cradily, etc
Sassy: Bronzong
Timid: (Most Specs users)
Jolly: (Most Band users)
Hasty/Naive: (any mixed sweeper)

Lax: ?
Gentle: ?

-Summer-

BeatFreaks Fo Lyfe<3
Lol, I never even Natures had anything to do with Pokemon. I just catch what I want and train it.

Aviano

I dropped my balls
I could see Forretress or Steelix use Lax, I guess.

Metal Force

o^_^o PWNZOME
Neutral natures, are ok for in-game for your Infernape or whatever, as for competitive, some although rare mixed sweepers hate the def/sp.def lose so a neutral nature would be better for them.

hIrAm

aside from the fact that I don't battle competitively, I find neutral natures to be easier, in the long run. for instance: right now, on my Pearl file I have a Serious Prinplup. I'll be having both physical- and special-based moves on his final moveset, so what's the point in trying to lower any stats?

blahh, on the other hand, Gentle is pretty stupid. everthing > lowering defense.

palkia1

Palkia Lover
Well, i only use natures that up special attack or attack. I only use offensive moves and i don't give a **** about defence. I'm not annoyed by the other natures, i just use an everstone and many ditto to get the natures i want

Souku

I have no idea which natures are for what and what they do. I only sort of know what a tough nature generally does. Something along the lines of increasing some sort of defense. I'm damn good.

x_iNVaDeRz_x

It's a cook book!
I don't hate them, they can be useful on some pokemon that are mixed sweepers and need the defense that hasty and naive cut. ;262;

If a pokemon's a sweeper it shouldn't be worrying about defense drops since it's supposed to be going before the opposing pokemon. Having more speed or attack is probably more preferable than having more... nothing.

arceus03

Lax and Gentle? Not that useless. See? Gentle would be good for Blisseys. The neutral ones, great when you have mixed sweepers. Moreover, I don't want my Blastoise's attack/ sp att to be increased if I have to pay it with its Def/Sp Def.

-Dragon-

Furret rocks
Heh, I like the neutral Natures, as it makes it seem more like R/B/G/S.