• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

NeverUsed Hail

Medicham's Hat

<-- Jazz Hands
I've been on a losing streak; the most recent teams I've made just haven't been performing how I'd like them to. This is the closest I've come to a decent team in the past few months:

459.gif

Frosty (Snover) (M) @ Eviolite Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

Snover is a pretty obvious choice for a weather team in NU, as he is the only perma-weather Pokemon in the tier. For this reason, he tends to be my lead, unless the opponent has something that can easily OHKO. The standard SubSeed set works well and I see no need to change to a more offensive set as he doesn't really pack much of a punch. If someone could suggest a viable alternate set for this guy it would be appreciated.

324.gif

Franklin (Torkoal) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: White Smoke
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power/Yawn

Functioning as my Stealth Rocker and Rapid Spinner, Torkoal is the glue that holds this team together. While this team is less SR-weak than most Hail teams, residual damage still racks up and T-Spikes tend to screw me over as well. Lava Plume for a decent-ish STAB and the nice Burn chance and Earth Power for some extra coverage. Yawn is an option over Earth Power as it functions as a pseudo-Roar and can prevent him from being set up on.

082.gif

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Magneton is a great addition to any Hail team as it traps and removes pesky Steel-types that would normally wreak havoc on it. I chose this max Sp. Attack Scarf variant to allow magneton to function as a revenge killer of Bulky waters as well, who caused this team some major problems. Thunderbolt is the obligatory STAB and Volt Switch for when I need to scout a switch or move. Hidden Power [Fire] is there to break down Steels and Flash Cannon for a little extra coverage (and he really has no others moves to use there).

221.gif

Piloswine (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Curse
- Substitute

This... is an interesting set. yes, it's quite gimmicky, however it really can work to great effect when luck is on my side. The strategy is to set up a Sub and set up Curses while your opponent tries to break the Sub (and hopefully miss a few times due to Snow Cloak). Ground/Ice provide wonderful Dual STABs and Ice Shard gives you priority. I'm considering switching him out for something else, but I haven't the faintest idea what.

072.gif

UJellyBro? (Tentacool) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Magic Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Eviolite Tentacool is SO bulky o_O. He reaches 448 Sp. Def and ~240 Def with this envestment and will stay around for a long time. Scald is mostly there for the Burn chance and Magic Coat is there because it's one of my foverite moves ever and works well with good prediction because most people don't even know that it gets it. T-Spikes really aid my team in breaking down defensive Pokemon. I know what your thinking-- "Another Rapid Spinner?!" --yes, I use two. Because the NU metagame is so Hyper-Offensive in nature, I found many times that one misplay could cause me to lose my Spinner and wind up with a field full of Rocks.

365.gif

Surprise! (Walrein) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I love this Walrein set a lot. The goal is to fool your opponent into believing that you are the "Stalrein" set by setting up a Sub and receiving Lefties/Ice Body healing. However, most people overlook Walrein's decent 95 SP. Attack and great Dual STABs in Hail. I prefer Hidden Power [Electric] as the last move because it really surprises the opponent sometimes when he/she sends out a counter such as a Bulky Water and gets pounded by it.

I know this isn't my best team, but please leave constructive criticism and possible changes :)

252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense on Tentacruel. It takes hits from both sides better than your spread.

You seem really Magmortar weak. Fire Blast + Thunderbolt 1-2HKOs your entire team.. Even Tentacool. Tentacool will only do about 40% back with Scald if it comes in as a revenge kill.

You also have a massive fighting weakness. Torkoal takes hits well enough but wont last long if rocks are down.

I'm not sure what to do about the fighting weakness but you could probably just drop Tenta for Lanturn to help against Magmortar (who is on probably a third of teams). Run Specially Defensive EVs on Lanturn.

Lanturn can spam Thunder Wave which will let Piloswine or Walrein sweep.

Otherwise the team looks ok. I think I remember playing you, or someone with a similar team. My Walrein ended up setting up and ended the game, but I had a lot of trouble with that stupid Piloswine. Its really bulky.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Torkoal has a hard life as a spinner. He loses 1/4 of his health to Stealth Rocks and has no way to resist Spikes or Toxic Spikes. Most people use Eviolite on Magneton but I can see your choice. The only thing is.... Steel types in NU? The list is small and the threat isn't too high. Bastiodon, Mawile, Probopass, Metang, Wormadam-S, Magneton and Klang. I'd only really worry about Metang and Probopass. Still, good ground attacks will cover them very well. Better than HP Fire. That aside, I'd pick at Tentacool, but I realize how strapped you can be for a worthy spinner (case and point Torkoal) and applaud your effort.

Presently, Magmortar ruins your team. It's the sad reality of having something that is effectively so good having little use in higher tiers. I'd agree with BH in regards to Lanturn being a good means to help. Event there, though, you'll find an added problem with ground attacks sporting Torkoal and Magneton.

A fair counter for the fighting types would be a Duosion with Magic Guard and Eviolite. With a calm mind or two it can even prove bulky for Magmortar.

If BH compliments your Piloswine, don't fix it for it's not broken lol.

Medicham's Hat

<-- Jazz Hands
I hadn't even realized that Magmortar dropped from RU o_O but apparently many other people haven't either because out of the 20 test battles I've had, Ive yet to see one. I think I will get rid of Tenta for Lanturn. Or maybe even Torkoal for a Magmortar of my own. Thoughts?

lol it was on 12% of teams last month.

Also I didn't say the Piloswine shouldn't be replaced, I was just running a physically frail team of Ice types. Its a cool set though. Consider SOMETHING over Substitute on it. Maybe Rest, Avalanche, Roar etc. Sub seems useless on something so slow.

xMetagrossx

Blaziking
On the Walrein set I think youd be better off using Toxic over Hp Electric because its Special attack isnt that great and it is useful in getting rid of bulky waters who can do little to Walrein anyway. Plus even if they do manage to kill off Walrein the Toxic damage will wear them down for your next poke but just a thought.