• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

Guy100

Well, here we go, the full Yuyama interview from Animedia. Enjoy:
Q: What do you personally think a "Pokémon Master" is?
Yuyama: I think it might involve accepting Pokémon for what they are, without projecting yourself onto them. When we were in the process of creating Mezase Pokémon Master, I thought of a Pokémon Master as being like a rainbow. It's THERE, but you can't touch it, nor reach it. But despite that, people still move towards rainbows they see in the distant sky. I used a rainbow as the motif of the very last scene of Pocket Monsters the Movie: I Choose You, and even though I hadn't thought of this at the time, that scene always comes to mind whenever I think of the concept of a Pokémon Master now.

When Yuyama speaks his thoughts of a Pokemon Master being like a rainbow, I take this metaphor as subtle hint to Ho-OH being figuratively a physical representation of what a Pokemon Master is, especially since the legendary bird is praised in the anime world as the ultimate harmonious symbolism between human and pokemon connectivity.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I like that trio, those two just kind of fit into the group, and it makes Satoshi's 10-year-old-boy-ness very pronounced. We wanted to depict world battling champion Satoshi as temporarily forgetting about everything he's been through on his journey and just living the life of a 10 year old boy again.
I just find this bit funny. Yuyama makes it sound like ash being a ‘battling champion’ is such a big part oh his character and MPM is returning him to his roots that hasn’t been seen in a while, when if anything he’s been made to be EVEN MORE of a 10 year old for the last two series and not much else.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
Z
“MPM is a psy-op to make people dislike Ash so they’ll accept the new characters because why else would they make it bad on purpose” is certainly one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard come out of this place.

Jesus Christ if you hate it just say so and move on, saying they did it to spite Ash us an absolute insult to those working on the show.

You think a concept for such a simple epilogue wouldn’t go over peoples heads constantly but every week I’m shown the contrary

Couldn't have put it better myself. Nobody is obligated to like the way Yuyama planned out this finale but to act like it's some psyop to ruin the show or to specifically spite the fanbase is such a self-important, ridiculous conclusion that shouldn't even be entertained. I agree that overall the concept for this finale was simple. They wanted to show what it was like to live a day in the life as Ash, budding Pokemon Master and friend to all. The constant thinkpieces about how this finale is a disgrace or how they didn't cover 25 years of material to make some grand uber-finale is beyond me. This epilogue is at its heart a simple concept that they weren't obligated to make as the last Journeys episode could have been a capstone to Ash's character on its own. This is his story, told in a way that not everyone is going to like, but to act like this is a disgraceful ending and not a culmination of Yuyama's time with Ash and Pikachu as one of the fathers of this show is laughable, truly laughable.

Some people will just have to learn that not everything was made for them.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well, here we go, the full Yuyama interview from Animedia. Enjoy:
Calling Pokemon Master to be like a Rainbow is honestly REALLY poetic to bookend the series from start to finish and be in line with Ash's goal of being in a never ending journey of meeting and interacting with Pokemon even when he's the very best that no one ever was
All but confirms @Shadao 's intrepretation, while also adding a beautiful metaphor to it. Can't wait for the final episode, while I'll always be disappointed we never got closure for other characters, I feel like the closure for Ash is legit going to get me

DayQuil95

You've already had more character progression in the space of a few minutes than Ash got in 8 episodes of MPM
I had the most tragic Fall From Grace when I saw Corphish, and then had to watch him take a L to Misty. This either means Misty is now capable of going up against Frontier Brains, or that Corphish was caught slacking. I prefer to go with the former since he has shown new moves in here, and Misty would logically have been training as well.

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
Yuyama: The climax will involve Satoshi coming to a personal conclusion. I hope we did a good job showing how he did so. Please make sure to catch the remaining episodes.
"As is turns out, the real Pokémon Master are the friends we made along the way".

"I hope we did a good job showing how he did so"

a.k.a "don't expect too much from us"

When it came to his travelmates, we basically just went "Gotta be Takeshi and Kasumi I guess". It was such a natural desicion I don't really remember exactly how we arrived at it.

Not exactly the exact answer I was expecting but okay Yuyama.

Kind of, I guess. It's more that they all more or less agreed before the discussion had even started, so the "debate" ended up very uneventful and forgettable to the point Yuyama doesn't even remember any arguments anyone used.
lol

Makes it even funnier when none of them showed up for the most important match in Ash's entire career.
Makes me wonder how they came up with just Dawn being there to support Ash alongside Chloe

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Welp boom. That kills every time skip theory that's being on revolving around Ash's potential future.
Youngest 37-ish 10-year old-looking kid.

By the way, I decided from the very get-go that the Pokémon that would become Satoshi's partner would not be one of the three you choose between at the start of the video game, since I figured that might make some of the viewers sad. That's why he ended up with a Pikachu, a desicion I'm really glad I made.
Still didn't stop you from making Charizard Ash's MVP from Kanto to Johto. And was literally used for last in the last battles.
Pokémon aren't always what humans expect them to be like. They're unique individuals that each have their own individual reasons for how they interact with humans. That's the kind of themes, or relationships, the Pokémon anime shows; How someone can eventually get along despite being unable to communicate at all when they first meet.
Unless you're Goh's Grookey who immediately seals the deal while you - a complete stranger - are sleeping a convenient dream with Rillaboom in it.
There are so many different kinds of Pokémon in this world, so when we depict them, we try to start by imagining what would happen if these Pokémon actually DID exist in a given place, and what those Pokémon would be doing in that case, then let the story develop from there.
Don't make it sound like the dex entries don't exist to give people ideas (said dex entries which are mostly ignored by OLM).
When we work out how the Pokémon should act, we try to avoid thinking of them from the point of view of a human, but consider the Pokémon's point of view instead.
Just say they're animals capable of horribly maiming anyone at a moment's notice.
We depicted Mew as a trancendent kind of creature that exists beyond the very human values of right and wrong. Think of how the sea and the mountains can be fun playgrounds for people, but can quickly turn on them as well. That's the kind of entity we wanted to depict Mew as, so whenever it appears in the anime, we make sure it never acts in a way that's particularly convenient for humans, nor do we have it gravitate towards humans too much.
Really poetic way of just saying, "it's a parent-less kid with superpowers who cannot be stopped."
Mewtwo, on the other hand, is a product of detachment from nature. The way it constantly ponders its own existence is very very human, but I think the reason it still chooses to live among Pokémon is because of a need of kinship.
It ponders at all because you made it intelligent, rather than the ruthless beast incapable of sympathy it's depicted to be.
Q: Satoshi and Pikachu have developed a friendship that transcends species. What do you find most important when depicting their relationship?
Yuyama: The fact that they don't rely on words. Ever since the beginning of the anime, I've wanted to get across the sense that they communicate using nothing but gestures and noises as much as I could. At first we actually toyed with the idea of having Pikachu talk just like the Rocket Gang Nyarth does (laughs). However, we talked about how it would be both more realistic and more interesting if they had to communicate non-verbally, so that's the way it ended up. I think it'd be really difficult to find a pair of humans that can understand each other as near perfectly as Satoshi and Pikachu can, but I hope we managed to depict a duo everyone can look up to.
...But...um...haven't you made HUNDREDS of these "rare" humans already? Some of those actually traveling with Ash? Even the Champions?
When it came to his travelmates, we basically just went "Gotta be Takeshi and Kasumi I guess". It was such a natural desicion I don't really remember exactly how we arrived at it. I like that trio, those two just kind of fit into the group.
Nice to know Misty and Brock were just...afterthoughts.
I like that trio, those two just kind of fit into the group, and it makes Satoshi's 10-year-old-boy-ness very pronounced. We wanted to depict world battling champion Satoshi as temporarily forgetting about everything he's been through on his journey and just living the life of a 10 year old boy again.
Finally, confirmation that Ash is 10 1/12 years old.
Q: What do you personally think a "Pokémon Master" is?
Yuyama: I think it might involve accepting Pokémon for what they are, without projecting yourself onto them.
Ash: Greninja! Lucario! LET'S SYNC AND BECOME ONE!
Greninja and Lucario: YEAH
Lucario: Hee hee! I'm basically Ash when not being battle moody!
When we were in the process of creating Mezase Pokémon Master, I thought of a Pokémon Master as being like a rainbow. It's THERE, but you can't touch it, nor reach it. But despite that, people still move towards rainbows they see in the distant sky.
There sure haven't been enough rainbows, have there.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Rica also talked about how Ash and Greninja's farewell scene left a strong impression on her in the latest Animedia issue. Magazine releases tonight

Darn, that Ash poster looks great.

Does it have an online version? Might get it for the poster (it could be a great cellphone wallpapper)

I'd rather that the new anime will have more unique characters rather than reintroducing old ones. Heck, I'd also rather that they don't use any characters from the game. I want it to be an entity of its own. Other than the region and the Pokémon, I want it to feel more unique with its own story

Same here.

Honestly, out of SV the only ones I like were Arven and the history teacher. Team Star bosses, not counting the "final boss", are fun too but I'd say mostly because of the concept.

Makes me wonder how they came up with just Dawn being there to support Ash alongside Chloe

Probably because they had bank animation of her already, from all previous appearances.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I agree that overall the concept for this finale was simple. They wanted to show what it was like to live a day in the life as Ash, budding Pokemon Master and friend to all. The constant thinkpieces about how this finale is a disgrace or how they didn't cover 25 years of material to make some grand uber-finale is beyond me. This epilogue is at its heart a simple concept that they weren't obligated to make as the last Journeys episode could have been a capstone to Ash's character on its own. This is his story, told in a way that not everyone is going to like, but to act like this is a disgraceful ending and not a culmination of Yuyama's time with Ash and Pikachu as one of the fathers of this show is laughable, truly laughable.

Some people will just have to learn that not everything was made for them.
Since Ash's story is ending that means we're probably not gonna see most of the companions/rivals again. A lot of people including myself think that those characters are just as important as Ash and Pikachu not seeing them for one last time in the final 11 episodes really stings

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
This is what baffles me. Why choose Dawn and Chloe to be there to support him out of everyone. I’m not complaining, I’m chuffed to bits Dawn showed up for him.
Like it would make more sense to have Misty and Brock out of everyone. I personally view Dawn as his closest friend, but Chloe I find so strange as they did not do much together. But it seems so bizarre that those 2 were chosen to support Ash and watch him become champion in person.

I’m holding out hope that Dawn gets her own special in a few months where she is crowned Top Coordinator.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
Since Ash's story is ending that means we're probably not gonna see most of the companions/rivals again. A lot of people including myself think that those characters are just as important as Ash and Pikachu not seeing them for one last time in the final 11 episodes really stings

I agree, but we did just see nearly everyone during Journeys. Iris is a Champion. May and Serena are acclaimed and famous Coordinators on the level of Lisia. Sophocles is working with his uncle. Lillie and her family are finally together again. Tracey… will probably still not talk, but oh well

I hope we do get to see everyone one more time in Episode 11, but I think they did the best they could do say goodbye to everyone so far.

That's such a pathetic copout. Ash vs Leon might have served as the climax for Ash's journey as a trainer but so much of the anime is going to be left unresolved. Call it what you want, but as of episode 11, it will be known as the ending of the Ash anime. Are you going to conveniently say "oh the Ash anime actually ended after he beat Leon, the 11 episode series was just an epilogue?". No it doesn't work that way. Epilogues are meant to give closure to the main character and the characters set in its world. In the end, the Pokemon anime is going to be treated the same as every other anime that did end, "epilogue" or not, and it's going to be such a massive disappointment.
great Ratio