• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

Morax

King of heroes
I mean the issue wasn't really Satoshi winning some tournament in some tiny island region, he's done that before, it was more that the narrative started treating it as some absurdly big deal, that winning something called a "League" was an achievement on par with winning everything else called a "League", and that being "Champion" meant you were on par with everyone else that were a "Champion". This spiraled into all kinds of nonsense like how Satoshi going on another badge quest would be pointless because all that would lead to was entering a League and he's already won a League, or how it makes perfect sense for him to beat Shirona/Daigo/Dande in battle because they're all Champions so they're all equally strong. But that was all mostly PM2019's doing, and at that point Yuyama wasn't there to say "hold up".

But him winning a tournament? Winning something called a League? Being declared stronger than all the local trainers in some small archipelago? Nothing really wrong with that, he did all that in 1999 too.
So basically the idea of Ash being this super privileged kid prodigy who gets everything on a silver platter was something yuyama was against?

Lmao do people think becoming a champion somehow made him more 'interesting' than before? lololol

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I mean...

All in all, Charizard got top billing as the three starters he got, anyway.

There was never a situation Bulbasaur or Squirtle was the final MVP of a league, and those two were given jobs rather than Charizard.

It's more about how you don't really want to start the series off by making two thirds of your viewers feel the protagonist didn't think all that highly about their preferred starter, I think. Any favoritism given to specific starters came much later.

So basically the idea of Ash being this super privileged kid prodigy who gets everything on a silver platter was something yuyama was against?

I'd... ASSUME so considering such things never happened during the 22 years he was in charge. Pokemon was always about the journey rather than the destination until Yuyama let someone else run the show.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
I honestly agree with Yuyama’s philosophy anyway. I think that Ash going from winning the Alola League against Gladion and Kukui to beating Steven, Cynthia, and Leon was some absurd powerscaling that just doesn’t make sense for the series. Ultimately, what’s done is done, but I’m far more happy that MPM held onto the idea that being a Master is more than winning some shonen battle tournament. That was never the core of this anime’s ideals, and it’s exactly this that made MPM feel real to me.

Obviously nobody is going to wholly agree with everyone else’s interpretation, but I have more fun watching classic filler than I do big battles. Not everything is about just battle battle battle, which is why by far my favorite era in the last few gens is SM.

Observer

Mostly watching
I honestly agree with Yuyama’s philosophy anyway. I think that Ash going from winning the Alola League against Gladion and Kukui to beating Steven, Cynthia, and Leon was some absurd powerscaling that just doesn’t make sense for the series. Ultimately, what’s done is done, but I’m far more happy that MPM held onto the idea that being a Master is more than winning some shonen battle tournament. That was never the core of this anime’s ideals, and it’s exactly this that made MPM feel real to me.

Obviously nobody is going to wholly agree with everyone else’s interpretation, but I have more fun watching classic filler than I do big battles. Not everything is about just battle battle battle, which is why by far my favorite era in the last few gens is SM.

It's kind of how it is in the comic book industry, one writer can do their own story and interpretation of a character and the writer who takes over after them will do their own thing.

vondecayle

“people who think Ash deserves the world on a plate”

lmao traveling through several regions, training his pokemon, losing multiple times and starting over again each time is not getting things on a “silver platter”. It seems Yuyama didn’t want Ash to progress at all.

Morax

King of heroes
I'd... ASSUME so considering such things never happened during the 22 years he was in charge. Pokemon was always about the journey rather than the destination until Yuyama let someone else run the show.
I kinda have to agree with his philosophy there. Plot Armor can (sometimes) be ignored if the MC is trying to defeat the big bad guy or help someone but Ash's goal is such that it only benefits himself. Winning a league is only going to make him more popular, he's not really doing anybody any favors and as such doesn't need that plot armor.

Ash doesn't win his battles because he's smart or strong but because he's the most privileged guy in the universe.

RafaSceptile

“people who think Ash deserves the world on a plate”

lmao traveling through several regions, training his pokemon, losing multiple times and starting over again each time is not getting things on a “silver platter”. It seems Yuyama didn’t want Ash to progress at all.
Which is why the not having Yuyama in charge was the correct choice.

Granted, the execution for Ash's main wins could've been a lot better, but making Ash to have some major wins (which last one was Battle Frontier, more than a decade before SM or JN) is satisfying for the people that have following Ash's journey and finally opened the door for Ash to be in retirement, which as sad as it is for people who growth with him, it is probably the best for the anime.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
I mean it’s whatever. It was meant as a send off for his fans who have been through his journey for however long it’s been going on. Quite frankly I understand both sides of the argument. I don't think people should be shocked when he said that being Champion wasn't apart of his goal and still considers himself a challenger considering it's be apparent that wasn't the key to becoming a Pokemon Master since whenever.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
SM was basically one huge pity region for Ash, really.

I mean...

Only five or six big battles prior the league.
Not many people in the region bother with battling.
Pikachu with exclusive move.
Rowlet that can defeat a ******** Decidueye.
The Amazing Duelist Sunny D-Roc, who was owned by one Krookodile before suddenly owning 3 Pokemon (Sitrus Berry delivery service turned on).
A ********* Mythical Pokemon among his ranks (though sort of weak in the grand scheme of things).
Two first battles at the league were jokes to him.
The BIGGEST fight...was not even in the league bracket.
Endured a brand new spanking Legendary Z-Move the first time it went down on him.

About the only things he seemed to struggle with was all the times his fire cat lost to fire tiger and a few Gladion losses, but other than that? He got it made too much.

I blame the fact he didn't have many battles in the region, so he was forced to take big wins right away here and there.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Not many people in the region bother with battling.
Isn't the region itself geographically smaller than the others?
Pikachu with exclusive move.
How is that the writers fault? It's in the games. There would've been complaints if he didn't het it.
Rowlet that can defeat a ******** Decidueye.
This isn't anything new. Base forms have been defeating fully evolved Pokemon since forever.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Isn't the region itself geographically smaller than the others?
That never stopped the writers from making regions larger than they were to include more settlements. They made a Nimbasa Town.

(Also, as a side note, they strangely got rid of Ten-Carat Hill in favor of something else.)
How is that the writers fault? It's in the games. There would've been complaints if he didn't het it.
It's the writers' fault because the move is only done through Ash's anime hats. Not a single hat the Pikachu wear in the games is from the game protagonists, so the move is clearly for Ash use.
This isn't anything new. Base forms have been defeating fully evolved Pokemon since forever.
Yeah, but take into account that Rowlet has been basically sleeping from serious battles since...Olivia's battle, the second big battle.

And he even learned a new move while he was sleeping.