• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

>Pokemon anime stans criticizing comic books for being inconsistent and poorly written
images
I mean, there are comics that ignore powerscaling even more than Dragon Ball Super

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
I feel bad because probably the majority of people in these forums (myself included) grew up with the dub and unless they did their research on the Japanese music, won't understand some of the symbolysm of the last episode, attached to the Japanese songs.

Back in the day, some idiots in suits decided that Japanese music was "dangerous" for Western kids and started butchering the show and in 25 years never even attempted to fix it. Some people always have defended it didn't matter, it wasn't important, but the truth is that they've been ruining the show until the very last day.

And all of this with the approval of the Japanese side, it's their fault too.

Veedramon

I feel bad because probably the majority of people in these forums (myself included) grew up with the dub and unless they did their research on the Japanese music, won't understand some of the symbolysm of the last episode, attached to the Japanese songs.

Back in the day, some idiots in suits decided that Japanese music was "dangerous" for Western kids and started butchering the show and in 25 years never even attempted to fix it. Some people always have defended it didn't matter, it wasn't important, but the truth is that they've been ruining the show until the very last day.

And all of this with the approval of the Japanese side, it's their fault too.
But Tabasco, if it weren't for those suits, we would've never gotten the massively iconic "Gotta catch 'em all" theme.

Heck, the dub might just use that track in the last episode as a replacement for the japanese theme, to invoke it's own nostalgia

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
But Tabasco, if it weren't for those suits, we would've never gotten the massively iconic "Gotta catch 'em all" theme.

Heck, the dub might just use that track in the last episode as a replacement for the japanese theme
You don't understand what I'm saying. Some of the imagery in the last episode like the blooming flowers or the whole shoes situation is related to Japanese songs. It's not about the usage of the songs per se.

This is not about "oh, but they'll use our theme instead". A theme that, btw, as iconic as it is, barely matches Ash's character.

Veedramon

You don't understand what I'm saying. Some of the imagery in the last episode like the blooming flowers or the whole shoes situation is related to Japanese songs. It's not about the usage of the songs per se.

This is not about "oh, but they'll use our theme instead". A theme that, btw, as iconic as it is, barely matches Ash's character.
Hmm, true. The dub music may not be relevant to that scene.

Nevertheless I think the suits made the right choice. That song's existence alone makes up for the missing symbolism

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.

Definitely gonna always be nostalgic for that old dub (heck, I was jamming to my 2BA Master album on the eve before MPM11), but it's a totally valid point. At least back when the anime first came to America, it was just common practice in the industry as a whole to "Americanize" the show a bit. It's just the fact that TPCI is still changing the anime so drastically. It's now pretty frowned upon in the industry to change anything in the dub except for the voice acting, yet Pokemon still hasn't caught up. Definitely not the first time I've brought this up, but still really frustrating.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Hmm, true. The dub music may not be relevant to that scene.

Nevertheless I think the suits made the right choice. That song's existence alone makes up for the missing symbolism
You'd be surprised but it's entirely possible to respect the source material and add your own things. Stuff can coexist, especially in the 90s when Pokémon was everywhere. They chose to erase the original creator's vision and impose their own instead.

TheNewGuy

The dub's music choices absolutely confound me sometimes. How they're listening to that generic **** and thinking it's better than the remixes of the game themes, I've got no idea.

I totally get not using ones that have Japanese lyrics, fine. But the stuff without lyrics, which is most of it, what the actual ****? And then you have episodes like...just off the top of my head, Ash vs. Tobias, where the dub kept all the music as it was, so they are capable of using it. Weird.

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
The symbolism of Mezase Pokemon Master and Type: Wild honestly made me almost cry, especially once it was clear that Ash's shoes were a reference. Those songs being from Ash's perspective compared to most of Rica's Pokemon songs also gives them so much depth that really just comes through, and it's a shame that people who don't follow the sub won't get that. I imagine Type: Wild will be replaced in MPM11 with the Pokemon Theme from S1, which will still be emotional but won't have the exact same effect.