• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
I liked XY Ash at the time. It felt refreshing seeing the writers finally show some loyalty and respect to their own protagonist after that pointless BW 'reset', by making him heroic, inspirational, and an elite trainer. Of course, Ash was already just that during the BF/DP era, but Tobias + BW just made it seem that the writers would never allow him to progress.

In retrospect, was it a bit too much? Perhaps. XY Ash wasn't written to have a compelling rival or a dynamic with his companions that would have allowed him to banter or show more emotion.

Sawyer could have had a unique master-student relationship with Ash, but he was introduced far too late and most of his insane ramp-up was done off-screen. Likewise, Alain could have had a enemy-rivalry with Ash, but he was too much of a good guy, and didn't oppose Ash enough. Serena could have had a true romantic subplot with Ash, which could have added more depth to his character, but most of the time in XY, her crush was played up for gags, and it was largely one-sided (with very subtle Ash hints), and it didn't go anywhere until her last scene in XY, which was obviously too late.

I think late AG/DP Ash is my favorite, because Ash had those admirable qualities and trainer skill from XY, but also the banter and personality from OS/SM/JN.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'll give you a point with the personality-less and chemistry thing (which is why I said "similar" rather than "exactly what people say about XY"), but the battlebot thing comes from how it feels it's basically the only thing in his head most of the time, and how much the series was basically going "This is Ash, he is battle guy, this is Goh, he is catch guy", especially early on
That's the narrator going Ash battles Goh catches for an obscenely long amount of time in the beginning
Ash himself as a character though was always more than just battling and had other things in his head as well throughout the series. Both SM and JN had him less focused only on battling only

Wanna state I don’t dislike XY Ash and find the the battlebot stuff overblown I’m just saying if we’re making a comparison of whose closer to that criticism between XY or JN it’s really no contest
Yeah same, he may be my least favorite iteration of Ash but I don't agree with those comments which is why i specifically said "what XY Ash is accused of" in the previous post

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender

greninjamaster

Ughhh sorry if I'm rude buuut what kind of parallel universe are you living?
in the anime she has not been relevant since xy ended and she disappeared just like all the other pokegirls once their region ends.

I think late AG/DP Ash is my favorite, because Ash had those admirable qualities and trainer skill from XY, but also the banter and personality from OS/SM/JN.

DP Ash is my favorite Ash and DP is my favorite team of his and should have been when he became the champion. Which would have happened if the writers didn't decide to write in Tobias as some random with legendary Pokemon, because Ash can't be champion so lets just have him lose to a whole team of legendaries. I think I rage quit the show after DP.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I said it before ill say it again If amour does become canon in MPM I want every amourshipper XY shill(including me) should make a ****ing 10-page apology letter to the writers especially tomiyasu

Is this still about shipping? I feel like deep down it is.
Its always has been

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Tomiyasu deserves the apology regardless
as a Rian Johnson fan I appreciate and respect the subversive risks tomiyasu took the series into. It was really an artistic choice. But ultimately it was just not for me.

Serena could have had a true romantic subplot with Ash, which could have added more depth to his character, but most of the time in XY, her crush was played up for gags, and it was largely one-sided (with very subtle Ash hints), and it didn't go anywhere until her last scene in XY, which was obviously too late.
lmao man this is like reading an ash betrayal fanfic i really thought you were one of us :(

Xuxuba

I said it before ill say it again If amour does become canon in MPM I want every amourshipper XY shill(including me) should make a ****ing 10-page apology letter to the writers especially tomiyasu

Its always has been
I imagined. Tbh i was always fine with one-sided ships since watching phantom of opera as a kid, so if i complain about him it's most likely due to other creative choices.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
And you wonder why some Amourshippers get that toxic label…
I always knew in fact I kinda hated amour back then because of the fans but JN105 really brought me back to 2016

Xuxuba

This is why the next series needs to have 0 connections at all to the Ash anime.
That is assuming the same won't happen to Liko.

And you wonder why some Amourshippers get that toxic label…
If that is case, the entire fanbase should have the toxic label, regardless of whether you took part in it or not. Twitter alone is enough to traumatize any kid that ends up searching their favorite character.