• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
A lot of people wanted Ash to officially catch Haunter. Gengar was definitely also fitting. Dragonite is the only one that sticks out to me since Ash already caught multiple dragon types, one being a pseudo, and Dracovish obviously.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Someone wanting an Ash vs Oak battle is definitely a new one for the wishlist bingo board
Possibly a reference to the Red and Green beta where there's an unused battle against Oak? First I'm hearing of this on somebody's wishlist as well, admittedly.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
What bothers me is that the whole "someone who connects deeply with Pokemon" isn't even something exclusive to Ash

All of the companions had numerous moments where they connected with mons

Heck Chloe herself was told she has a knack for understanding deeply the feelings of Pokemon by Ash himself
We're all Pokemon Masters in our own way!

*Cue montage of all of Ash's friends chasing their dreams*

Lol

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

lanmanna

Because barely anything about this ending feels narratively satisfying.

The reality is:

Ash's story should have ended in a post-DP finale arc. Ash vs Tyson should have been top 4 in the Hoenn League. Ash should have accepted the Frontier Brain position. Timeskip (doesn't necessarily have to be an older Ash, but some indeterminate period of time where Ash is a FB and his skills improve). Then he goes to Sinnoh, where he should have won the league by beating Paul. Afterwards, there should have been a Champions League/PWC in a post-league arc like in AG, where Ash wins it all. He was ready by end of DP, both in temperament and skill.

Instead, the staff decided to drag Ash's character on for another 12+ years. Okay, whatever, he made a bunch more friends and caught more Pokemon. The BW 'reset' was horrible, but they rectified that in XY. And XY and SM were enjoyable series in their own unique ways. Ash did end up getting top 2 and Champion in both of those series, respectively.

The problem is Journeys. It didn't feel like it was supposed to be the final adventure of Ash, which it ended up. Ash had all these reserves, ready to be called up to help him win it all. Instead, he gets a BS fanservice team that he didn't need, and they themselves didn't get enough development. I don't hate Goh or Chloe, but look how easily former companions could have slotted in and out. Everyone could have gotten the remaining character development needed, and most of the reserves could have gotten a battle/focus episode/development. There still would have been ample opportunity for current generation promotion.

...So then MPM arrives. As I said in another thread, none of these episodes are boring - in fact, they're quite comfy and relaxing. However, they're in the wrong place at the wrong time. The reserves come back, but most of them are relegated to the background, and none of them got any focus besides Corphish (who lost a battle in criminal fashion). It's almost criminal that an iconic Pokemon like Ash's Charizard hasn't gotten a battle in almost 10 years. There's a bunch of dangling character and story beat left untouched, and Pokemon that could have benefitted from some needed screentime.

Moreover, the answer to the fabled question as to what makes a Pokemon Master is amounting to be, 'anyone who deeply connects with any Pokemon,' which Ash has been doing for most of the entire show. There's also a random Latias stalking him, but there's no deep overarching mini-arc with it. If anything, it should have been Ho-Oh, whom Ash captures in the end, thereby coming full circle. Meanwhile, Team Rocket is still doing the same.freaking.thing. They deserved at least a multi-episode finale arc with Giovanni.

Like I said, I love seeing the OG trio again, and the episodes themselves are not bad - some are even fairly good. I also don't have astronomic expectations for Anipoke, given the years of meh quality writing, constant merchandise/generation promotion in repetitive POTD/COTD episodes, and massive missed opportunities. However, I would have thought there should have been some no-brainer decisions for Journeys and MPM that anyone who passed Writing 101 would have done.
Do we even know if Ash will catch Latias? People are assuming that, so I'm guessing it won't happen.

jjliang

Would Journeys happen and/or Ash get retired if he either won the Sinnoh or Kalos leagues, or if the EP038 incident never happened in the first place?

Sham

The Guardian of War
If Pokemon ever wants to capitalize and provide a do over of the Unova League and show the most recent one, I'd love to see Cameron, Trip and Bianca competing again as well. Or literally just give us the BW rivals doing anything

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I'll be adding Yuyama's episode commentary to the first post of this thread I guess. Here's his episode 1 comment, where we get the answer to why he specifically picked Latias as the Pokemon watching Satoshi:

Yuyama: "It was very new and different to start the first episode off with a scene that just had Satoshi and Pikachu on their own. Pikachu shows its prankster side in this scene too. Their interaction here was all really novel stuff."
Interviewer: The Legendary Pokémon Latias appears in this episode in the role of a Pokémon watching Satoshi's journey. Can you explain why you chose specifically Latias for this part?
Yuyama: "Even among Legendary Pokémon, Latias is a Pokémon it's very natural to think of as being close to someone. In addition, it can move around, fly and turn invisible. For these reasons, I figured Latias would be the best choice for the role."

Trey pokes

So, Latias was never meant to be a film reference, she was just a legendary that Yuyama thought was basically cool. Invisibility, going anywhere it wants. That would be something Ash would do.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If we want to be technical about it, Sobble and Keckleon fit the bill. Honestly, though, just because Latias can turn invincible and fly around doesn't mean any other Pokemon can't just...stalk Ash from a little bush or behind a tree. It's just Latias is a Legendary. That's simply much bigger than her being able to be a professional stalker when said skill is something anyone can do (like TRio, even).

But, seriously, of all the Pokemon out there, Latias? He didn't think ANYTHING about the movie one when choosing it?

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Here's the full set of Yuyama's comments for those who haven't been looking at the first post:

EPISODE 1: THE WIND OF BEGINNINGS! THE EON PATH!!

Yuyama: "It was very new and different to start the first episode off with a scene that just had Satoshi and Pikachu on their own. Pikachu shows its prankster side in this scene too. Their interaction here was all really novel stuff."
Interviewer: The Legendary Pokémon Latias appears in this episode in the role of a Pokémon watching Satoshi's journey. Can you explain why you chose specifically Latias for this part?
Yuyama: "Even among Legendary Pokémon, Latias is a Pokémon it's very natural to think of as being close to someone. In addition, it can move around, fly and turn invisible. For these reasons, I figured Latias would be the best choice for the role."

EPISODE 2: SATOSHI VS KASUMI! A ONE-ON-ONE AT THE BEACH!!

"I like where Kasumi was standing in her intro scene, it gives you the feeling of her proactively taking action against Satoshi. The way she acted in her intro was good as well. Satoshi looked quite animated in that scene too, don't you think?"

EPISODE 3: TAKESHI, DENT AND THE FOREST WITCH!!

"There's only one way to do an intro scene for Takeshi, and that's something involving a girl (laughs). This episode gets really lively once Dent appears. He's such a fun character! The heartbroken Takeshi's "depression mode" and Dent's peculiar way of talking are on full display this episode."

EPISODE 4: TUNBEAR'S SIGH!

"This episode focuses on the heart of this series' theme, 'In what ways does Satoshi empathize with Pokémon?'. By the way, Tunbear is super cute, don't you think? You felt so bad for it. And it was imitating the little Mijumaru and making a Scallsword (laughs). This episode truly makes you realize how nice Satoshi really is."

EPISODE 5: ENTER THE ZENIGAME FIRE BRIGADE!!

"We made this episode because I wanted to bring the trio from the first series, Zenigame, Lizardon and Fushigidane, together again. These three really animate very nicely, and they work very well with Satoshi and his friends."

EPISODE 6: AND WE'RE LOOKING AT THE SAME MOON!

"This episode was made to once again reaffirm Satoshi and Pikachu's bond."

EPISODE 7: RIDING ON LAPLACE

"I just wanted to bring back the Laplace we said goodbye to in the Orange Islands one more time! (laughs)"

EPISODE 8: WHAT JUPPETA IS LOOKING FOR!

"This episode basically started off with us thinking about how we hadn't done an episode about a Ghost type yet in this series. While we were trying to decide which one to use, I was digging through our reference material and thought Juppeta was a surprisingly interesting one. And so this episode was born."

EPISODE 9: THE ROCKET GANG'S COUNTERATTACK!

"For this episode I wanted to bring the Rocket Gang's Pokémon back. There's lots of things about the Rocket Gang that are shrouded in mystery, like what Musashi and the others' current standing IS, and why their Pokémon are being returned NOW... And the episode has some breakup-related drama again too (laughs). I guess this kind of slapstick and mystery is pretty inherent to the Rocket Gang, huh?"

Last edited: