• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
A bunch of grown/middle aged men and women seething about their headcanons not becoming real. Boo-fking-hoo.

This is why one should never get completely attached in any series. Pokemon or not. Pollutes your thinking capability.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Based Tomiyasu. Only issue is why Tomiyasu didn't have Ash use reserves. Ash didn't need an overpowered fanfic team when he had powerful (and popular) Pokemon already on hand. Ash's performance would have made a lot more sense.

There's a difference between a series having a somewhat different tone, which they all had anyway, and Satoshi going from qualifying for but not winning regional leagues while clearly being massively below the Elite Fours and Champions, to him suddenly just steamrolling everyone else in the entire world with a fresh team for no adequately explained reason.
Aren't they obligate to use "fresh team" whether want to or not?

Soniman

Break the Limit
It's really funny looking back at those threads responses/tweets analysing MPM deeper meaning after the director basically admitted it was just padding time until the new series came out lol
I mean the meaning is still there and the interviews don’t change that. The choose a lighthearted adventure because it was the easiest concept to work with given the time they were afforded before SV aired

>they had 11 episodes left
>higher ups says do whatever you want as long as it ends in 11 episodes
>Yuyuma choose the path of least resistance while also providing a laid back epilogue that touched on core aspects of the show.

Both iempetus for how the show came to be can be true. I don’t think they expected fans to get so angry at the show’s concept either

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Aren't they obligate to use "fresh team" whether want to or not?

Hardly “fresh.” We’ve seen plenty of Dragonite, Gengar, and Lucario in the show.

Goh running around catching anything that breathes took care of marketing.

Having reserves wasn’t an issue in Battle Frontier, nor when Ash brought reserves to the Johto and Sinnoh Leagues.

Ash should have had Dracovish, Sirfetch’d, and maybe Lucario, and then rotated two Pokémon.

Master Pikachu 11

My big question is "why haven't we seen Alola in MPM?"

Pokemon Journeys had this huge episode where Ash went to Alola and everyone cheered for him, calling him Champion, and made Ash realize he's representing an entire region and its people in the world championship. And now Ash has achieved grand victory. The logical writing decision would be for Ash, Brock and Misty to visit Alola again where Ash reunites with his other friends and maybe they have a celebration of some kind, because the Alola Champion actually managed to win the title of the strongest trainer in the world, which is probably a big deal for Alola and its people.

It's so weird to me because it feels like the most obvious thing to do, and yet we got nothing like that.
Because they think what we all want is to see is Ash bonding with random wild Pokémon Instead

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
Hardly “fresh.” We’ve seen plenty of Dragonite, Gengar, and Lucario in the show.

Goh running around catching anything that breathes took care of marketing.

Having reserves wasn’t an issue in Battle Frontier, nor when Ash brought reserves to the Johto and Sinnoh Leagues.

Ash should have had Dracovish, Sirfetch’d, and maybe Lucario, and then rotated two Pokémon.
I argue in favor of Gengar since so many people wanted Haunter (evolved to Gengar) to be part of the OG team.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I mean he doesn't actually SAY so, but the fact that all of Satoshi's major accomplishments and recognition happened during the 3 out of 26 years he WASN'T executive director, and that the instant he takes over the reins again the world champion status gets as ignored as it pretty much can with him outright stating he wanted to depict Satoshi as forgetting all about this title... makes it pretty clear Tomiyasu is the one that wanted Satoshi to suddenly start winning everything and get celebrated for it.
Based Tomiyasu
I mean whether you like his stuff or not, you really can't deny that he came into a 23 year old franchise and started steering it in a fanfic-tier bizarre direction that was absurdly at odds with everything it had been up to that point, a direction the former guy did a hard 180 on the second he took over again.

I'm sure there are people that liked Angel Punisher too.
You mean instead of aimlessly letting Ash remain stagnant actually advance and progress him further? Coz I'm down for it
It's not much of a leap to see him going champion mode either when he was handling elite four level trainers in XY anyway
Based on actually letting Ash progress as a trainer finally

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
I argue in favor of Gengar since so many people wanted Haunter (evolved to Gengar) to be part of the OG team.
Maybe bring that same Haunter back then (or better yet ditch Gengar/Dragonite and bring Larvitar back and evolve him fully - could've been a cool compromise if they were so hellbent on not using reserves).

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Based Tomiyasu

You mean instead of aimlessly letting Ash remain stagnant actually advance and progress him further? Coz I'm down for it
It's not much of a leap to see him going champion mode either when he was handling elite four level trainers in XY anyway
Based on actually letting Ash progress as a trainer finally
The idea was right, and something many fans wanted to see, but the execution was really not good. Honestly the anime could've used Tomiyasu's style of thinking after DP, with incremental build ups in victories that progressively got more impressive before the big one in JN, cause Ash being world champion in JN will always feel jarring.

UnovaMaster

Imagine for a second that MPM was a final 11 episodes series after DP (just imagine Ash has beaten Cynthia or Tobias or whoever already)

Back then don't you think they'd have knit something stronger in terms of final stories? DP literally brought back Jessiebelle, that is the kind of daring risk MPM needed to take in each installment

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The idea was right, and something many fans wanted to see, but the execution was really not good. Honestly the anime could've used Tomiyasu's style of thinking after DP, with incremental build ups in victories that progressively got more impressive before the big one in JN, cause Ash being world champion in JN will always feel jarring.
I honestly really wish Tomiyasu was series director instead of executive director in JN too because like with SM we definitely would have seen more team bonding and actual training.
The trend of not needing to see Ash's mons trains or even organically appear did so much harm to the execution of him winning. As did the pacing