• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New 11 episode series, "Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokemon Master", starts January 13th 2023

nuzamaki90

Man, I've been looking through a bunch of these comments about my paraphrasing of what Yuyama said in that recent interview and there's... quite some interesting takes there.

So here's the thing... that was not some post written in disgruntled anger over his direction. I'm NOT upset over his direction, hell, I said elsewhere that my impression is that he was never particularly on board with PM2019 making Satoshi suddenly get some absurd power boost and become the best trainer in the world, and that MPM was him steering the show back on track.

The post was also not an OPINION, it was some quick summarizing of what he was actually doing as opposed to what some people were assuming he was doing, in response to a post asking why we needed another Latias/Latios plot:

1) The reason we got a Latias/Latios plot is not because Yuyama felt we needed one. We got one because he wanted a running subplot about a Pokemon observing Satoshi throughout these episodes before eventually asking him for help. He picked Latias as this Pokemon not because he wanted to do something with Latias (and Latios) specifically. Not because he wanted another Latias/Latios plot. Not because of anything related to movie 5. But because of the specific qualities of Latias as a species (flight, invisibility, etc). And now that the series has ended, we know that nothing particularly important came of the entire Latias thing.

2) The reason Kasumi and Takeshi were in MPM was not because Yuyama had any specific plans for those two characters. It's not because he had any episodes in mind that necessitated them being there. It's because he felt Satoshi needed travelmates for these episodes. The specific characters were picked afterwards. He doesn't remember exactly why they went for those beyond "everyone just kinda agreed", but the reason they're in the show is ultimately because he didn't want Satoshi to travel alone, not because he wanted Satoshi to travel with Kasumi and Takeshi again or because he had some Kasumi- or Takeshi-specific plans in mind. And now that the series has ended, we know that nothing particularly important came of those two specific characters being there for another couple episodes.

3) The purpose of episode 9 was not to write out the Rocket trio or set up some big finale involving Satoshi taking out Sakaki or whatever else was being speculated. It was because Yuyama wanted to do an episode where the old Rocketmons came back. And now that the series has ended, we know that nothing particularly important came of anything that happened in that episode.

4) Most of the episodes in MPM were written because they needed more episodes in the show and came up with something they felt like doing. Yuyama spells out quite clearly in the comment for episode 8 that they came up with by essentially going "okay, we need another episode, any ideas?" "We didn't do an episode about Ghost types yet, we could do that." "Good idea. Hey, these zukan entries about Juppeta being a possessed puppet searching for its former owner are pretty interesting and we never did an episode about that concept. Let's do that." They weren't concluding dangling plot threads or setting up some sort of big finale that would relate back to plot points established throughout these episodes, they were just coming up with episodes until they had 11 of them. And now that the series has ended, we know that the final episode was pretty standalone and nothing particularly important came of anything that happened in any of the prior 10.

None of this is opinions, it's all straight facts from the interview that was right there for people to read.

Of course, I could've written this indepth breakdown of what I was actually trying to get across two weeks ago had people actually bothered asking instead of just having weird debates among themselves on other websites where all relevant context is ignored, but...
Don’t really care about what the execs thought in regards to how Ash’s story was going to move forward and whether or not him becoming the absolute best was going to go over well, but I do definitely disagree on your interpretation with Latios/Latias. Pre-MPM10 I was definitely in the camp that if Ash didn’t catch either Lati then this whole thing would’ve been a complete waste of time, but after watching it and seeing how much impact that left on Ash, I can fully appreciate the Lati plot point for what it did for the overall narrative.

In fact I don’t even think Ash’s Pokémon Master monologue would’ve even played the same had he not experienced Latios’ animosity prior. That experience made him gain a deep understanding of what he’s been doing up to this point and what he’s going to continue to do in the future. I’m 100% positive the episode structure was laid out the way it was to show how far Ash has come in terms of interacting with Pokémon while at the same time having his last interaction be a negative to stir his story moving forward.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Don’t really care about what the execs thought in regards to how Ash’s story was going to move forward and whether or not him becoming the absolute best was going to go over well, but I do definitely disagree on your interpretation with Latios/Latias. Pre-MPM10 I was definitely in the camp that if Ash didn’t catch either Lati then this whole thing would’ve been a complete waste of time, but after watching it and seeing how much impact that left on Ash, I can fully appreciate the Lati plot point for what it did for the overall narrative.

In fact I don’t even think Ash’s Pokémon Master monologue would’ve even played the same had he not experienced Latios’ animosity prior. That experience made him gain a deep understanding of what he’s been doing up to this point and what he’s going to continue to do in the future. I’m 100% positive the episode structure was laid out the way it was to show how far Ash has come in terms of interacting with Pokémon while at the same time having his last interaction be a negative to stir his story moving forward.

Well... yeah, but none of that required the hostile Pokemon to be of a particular species. Or to have been in an episode that served as the conclusion of 10 episodes of setup. Or to even have been in a different episode to begin with. All the Latias stuff that happened throughout episode 1-10 still happened because Yuyama wanted a running subplot about a Pokemon observing Satoshi connecting these episodes, and it still involved Latias and Latios because their ability to fly and turn invisible suited that plot.

If Yuyama only had a single episode to work with, he could've pretty easily put that entire plot into the first half, then given us Shigeru's question and Satoshi's reflection and answer with more or less the same result. You're right that "nothing came of the entire Latias thing" is a bit too harsh, it's more that the Latias plot didn't serve the plot point as much as the plot point served the Latias plot, creating a tangent that COULD, at least in a way, semi-connect a number of otherwise unconnected standalone episodes.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't think they "purposely antagonized" the fanbase, but I do think they were tone-deaf, something which came to a head in Unova. Kalos was an improvement, though still ultimately felt like an insulting tease.

You can definitely say Ash improved as a trainer during AG, and KOing legendaries is definitely impressive, but at a certain point you have to just let him achieve his actual goal that the main sagas are based around.

If anything, it does feel like they started addressing criticisms since XY.

Or maybe even further back on BW, with the serious TR being meant to address "they appearing every episode to do mostly the same things over and over"

Comic books are all over the place, it's almost hard to take any of them seriously as they are just one overly long drawn out narrative written by several generations of writers more for a dopamine rush and spectacle than a coherent storyline and lore lol Spider-Man punching Galactus

Batman literally punched a Green Lantern.

They can always come up with a convoluted explanation (or a technicality in the above Batman example) to explain those away.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
The symbolism of Mezase Pokemon Master and Type: Wild honestly made me almost cry, especially once it was clear that Ash's shoes were a reference. Those songs being from Ash's perspective compared to most of Rica's Pokemon songs also gives them so much depth that really just comes through, and it's a shame that people who don't follow the sub won't get that. I imagine Type: Wild will be replaced in MPM11 with the Pokemon Theme from S1, which will still be emotional but won't have the exact same effect.
Talking about symbolism, just now occurred me that Ash getting pidgeot back could be a reference to the first OP, because he send it for a battle there.

A nice call back and closing a circle, thinking now.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
But, this Gohan-esque Blaze powerup is the very reason why Paul tried using Chimchar in the first place. This wasn't something Ash willed into existence after he got him from Paul, it's an established ability that served as Paul's motivation for why he put up with the little guy to begin with, and only after repeated failed attempts to call and control this power did Paul ultimately give up the effort.

Chimchar's Blaze does not exist because Ash needed to be marked as some special trainer. Chimchar's Blaze exists because Ash needed to demonstrate his methods of raising and connecting with Pokemon are better than Paul's.
Don't get me wrong I absolutely understand the story decision behind WHY they did what they did and how it works, I still love it

But it also doesn't change the fact there just existing a chimchar like that that happens to come into Ash's life, this super extra special chimchar is a big coincidence, and that was my entire point

When I state it i DO NOT mean it was a bad decision in any way or something wrong, but rather to raise my eyebrow at those who wanna point fingers to "Tomiyasu era giving Ash things on a silver platter" just because he started winning

UnovaMaster

Talking about symbolism, just now occurred me that Ash getting pidgeot back could be a reference to the first OP, because he send it for a battle.

A nice call back and closing a circle, thinking now.

Pidgeot is an important closed loop anyhow, as Ash released it the first time he embarked on a new journey, and got it back the last time he embarked on a new journey

and it demonstrates the phrase "if you love something, set it free, if it comes back it was meant to be"

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I personally don't mind Satoshi winning or losing. I really enjoyed the Alola League—my second favorite behind the Shinnou League—and I thought it was nice to have Satoshi win that League. For the Pokemon World Tournament I just wish that the series had been more focused on character development for Satoshi towards his growth. I still feel like I didn't quite feel the weight of Satoshi's build-up in his battle against Dande. In a lot of ways it just felt very undercooked, which is something that should have been ammended throughout the series.

I also really wish we'd gotten an episode to drive home that just because the system thinks you're the bed trainer it doesn't mean you're always going to be the best. Satoshi losing to some new trainer or even and old rival would have been a great way to cement that the journey never ends, in addition to the ending we already got.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
While this sounds good on paper, it is basically a redo of the Orange League and the Battle Frontier where Ash loses to Gary

So? Who cares? Those episodes aren't going to come to life an berate me for copying them and if they do I'll tell them what they can do with their mouths.

In terms of vibes Satoshi facing new challenge just works.

RafaSceptile

So? Who cares? Those episodes aren't going to come to life an berate me for copying them and if they do I'll tell them what they can do with their mouths.

In terms of vibes Satoshi facing new challenge just works.
Because the approach of MPM and Ash's definition to become a Pokémon Master is not about being the strongest trainer, but about being able to befriended all Pokémon (and become the strongest trainer is just part of the road) , which is why we got the Latias and Latios subplot instead.

Rune Knight

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'll just say it.

I think that there are two ways that one can interpret the "NEXT TIME... A NEW BEGINNING!" text.

1) Either Ash will show up later in TV specials or movies.
2) The new series shares continuity to the universe that we are already familiar with.

Even though my judgment is somewhat clouded by the denial of Ash being gone forever, logically speaking I highly doubt that will be the case.

Last edited:

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
The sad fact is

I don't even miss Team Rocket I have bigger things to miss in life that means more to me.

If this happened 4 years ago maybe.

Now? I don't give a damn.

Gingertail24

The sad fact is

I don't even miss Team Rocket I have bigger things to miss in life that means more to me.

If this happened 4 years ago maybe.

Now? I don't give a damn.
Yeah TR is still something I'm torn on.

I guess theor ending was supposed to be about even if they constantly keep failing, chasing Ash and pikachu is something they love and bonds them.

But idk their ending kinda sucked tbh. Their treatment in JN was still one of the worst, morpeko being their last catch doesn't help, and then they tried to do ANOTHER fake out, eh

ShadowForce720

Yeah TR is still something I'm torn on.

I guess theor ending was supposed to be about even if they constantly keep failing, chasing Ash and pikachu is something they love and bonds them.

But idk their ending kinda sucked tbh. Their treatment in JN was still one of the worst, morpeko being their last catch doesn't help, and then they tried to do ANOTHER fake out, eh
In all honesty they should just have had them quit Team Rocket and start up their own business that winds up being successful.

Heck the annoying thing is some of the fake outs excluding the recent one, if they weren’t fake outs could have been good or alright endings for them.

In all honesty refusing to retire them from Team Rocket and just have them keep going after Ash and Pikachu feels like a disservice to them.