• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Attacks & Abilities Discussion

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm liking this new combination move mechanic that's been introduced now that I've seen the images and that it's been confirmed. It looks almost Contest-related since this sort of thing happens in Contests in the anime. That rainbow effect sure looks snazzy too. I'm wondering if I'll give these move combinations a try when I play Black and White. It might be fun just to experiment and make pretty effects with certain moves.

Grei

not the color
The concept of Combination Attacks has long since existed. Tons of moves work together synergistically, like Rain Dance + Thunder, Sunny Day + SolarBeam, Defense Curl + Rollout. In Generation 3, using certain moves right before an attack made for combination would double your points.

People have also wanted to have combinations from attacks in battles since forever. But the typical wish you hear usually falls into the realm of "Combine Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam altogether!" or something equally as ridiculous. What they appear to be doing now is actively creating NEW combination moves that are specifically made to combine.

And thus we get Oath of Fire, Water, and Grass. I think this will be their gameplan for the time being, which is to create brand new moves that have these combination characteristics to them, rather than going back and applying these effects to older moves (which may or may not serve to imbalance them if done). However, I do not believe we'll be getting an "Oath of ___" move for every time. These seem like they're starter exclusive. I do get a sense of seeing more than one combination attack done the line though.

I agree with you in pretty much everything. I don't believe this'll apply to older moves, and I think these combinations--the Oath Combos--will be exclusive to Starters, though there will be others.

Although I can also see Grass Oath going to every Grass-type, Fire Oath going to every Fire-type, and Water Oath going to every Water-type, as well as all three going to some non Grass-/Fire-/Water-types, simply to allow the combinations to see more use. I'm on the fence as far as who these moves go to.

If the Oath moves are for non-Starters, I only see a few of them being made for other types. They'd probably have to be able to be combined with the Grass/Fire/Water Oaths, which doesn't always work out.

Lightning Oath: With Water Oath, a storm is generated, boosting the power/accuracy of Electric moves and causing random Paralysis...? I dunno about Grass and Fire.

... I can't think of any other Oaths that could be made that can work in conjunction with all three moves. Lightning only really works with Water, Dark Oath would not really work well with Fire, Rock Oath just doesn't make any sense...

While I won't say that an Oath for every type isn't possible (I think it could be cool in a way), I will say that I think they'll just create other moves for the sake of giving the other types the means of combining attacks, and keep the three Oath moves we have now.

Bardische

Elegance.
Shouldn't Fire splashed with Water produce steam? I'm confused, because I believe that should produce a fog-like field effect. Just like the actual fog.

Basically, we get a field Serene Grace, the reverse of a Tailwind or maybe even just a String Shot, and a Scorched Earth-like move.

Oh well, I wish these combinations would extend to not all but some select move combinations. Like your partner uses Lock-On and another member uses Zap Cannon or whatever. Basically, Lock-On would work like a visible target that your partner can see, thus the effect would still stay.

Oh well, all the more reason for me to believe of an in-game version of Triple Finish ^^

Shouldn't Fire splashed with Water produce steam? I'm confused, because I believe that should produce a fog-like field effect. Just like the actual fog.

Basically, we get a field Serene Grace, the reverse of a Tailwind or maybe even just a String Shot, and a Scorched Earth-like move.

Oh well, I wish these combinations would extend to not all but some select move combinations. Like your partner uses Lock-On and another member uses Zap Cannon or whatever. Basically, Lock-On would work like a visible target that your partner can see, thus the effect would still stay.

Oh well, all the more reason for me to believe of an in-game version of Triple Finish ^^

Well Fire heating the Water would create steam, and steam is water as a gas, and as the steam condenses in the air, it would become water, and when light passes through the individual pieces of water droplets, then it would create a rainbow. :)

Well Fire heating the Water would create steam, and steam is water as a gas, and as the steam condenses in the air, it would become water, and when light passes through the individual pieces of water droplets, then it would create a rainbow. :) I've only just realised this now.

I really want the moves to power up and change moves. We have alot of variations of different moves, for example we have Double Edge, if a Pokemon used Fire Oath, then the next Pokemon used Double Edge, Double Edge would become Flare Blitz.

I can see when we get the English versions of the games, that Fire Oath, Water Oath and Grass Oath will be changed into stuff like 'Burn', 'Soak' and 'Grow' or something of a similar nature.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Everybody's speculating about what this move and that move will do together, but I could see them making only a few moves that can be combinded. Maybe only 17- Poison Oath, Dragon Oath, Steel Oath, etc. 17 dosen't sound like very many, but when you think about it, in a way, it's really 17 times 17.

And they could have a special Move Tutor that will teach these moves. For example, he would teach Electric Oath to Luxray, and would teach Psychic Oath and/or Flying Oath to Xatu.

And maybe the Oath moves won't even do anything in Single Battles...
If there is to be 17 oaths, its not only taking each type and 1 of 16 other types, but the type orders to be considered.

J-W

Although GF didn't think through how rainbows work...

you'd only be able to see it if the fire came from behind you and the water was in front..

But that is digressing... I agree that there will be at least one combination move per type, especially if they want to hype up the triple battle thing XD

NDenizen

Encased in Jelly
I really want the moves to power up and change moves. We have alot of variations of different moves, for example we have Double Edge, if a Pokemon used Fire Oath, then the next Pokemon used Double Edge, Double Edge would become Flare Blitz.

I have to say, I like the idea of being able to use these Oaths to turn moves into other moves. I find the Four Move limit very restricting, so this could be a very good way of increasing the flexibility of any pokemon on the field.

And I do hope there's an oath for every type. It would be nice to see it widely available, just not too widely. If you restricted it to the less powerful pokemon out there, it would be great.

Bardische

Elegance.
Well Fire heating the Water would create steam, and steam is water as a gas, and as the steam condenses in the air, it would become water, and when light passes through the individual pieces of water droplets, then it would create a rainbow. :) I've only just realised this now.

I'm quite lost in the inner workings of the universe. Thanks for clarifying ^^

I can see when we get the English versions of the games, that Fire Oath, Water Oath and Grass Oath will be changed into stuff like 'Burn', 'Soak' and 'Grow' or something of a similar nature.

First paragraph? Win, just win. My Aggron? Flare Blitzing? Ludicrous! Notoriously, it would allow Salamence access to Flare Blitz and even Relicanth as well. Which is awesome :D

But don't we already have a move called "Soak" in the Japanese versions? Well, they could still change it though, so anyway, hehe.

nikohesus

Banned
I believe combo attacks, will only work with certain moves, although I could be wrong.

bookist

I am interested in the full extent of the combo moves. I wonder what else they will think of for them? Maybe an attack that acts as a leech life?

Glue

Snorunt = cool ^o^
I like the combo moves, it is something no one really thought of that came out of no where but I guess it wont work in single battles, unless they both use the combination of moves it needs...

Yanappu

Cute o3o
I believe combo attacks, will only work with certain moves, although I could be wrong.

I also believe this. They aren't going to let you make super-powered moves like Hydro Pump and Thunderwave, or Flamethrower and Thunderbolt.

They're going to make strategic ones. Maybe a few powerful ones like that might combine with something else. But not all moves.

Glue

Snorunt = cool ^o^
hopefully they will bring in plenty of other move combos... but keep them limited to certain effects... I would like to see some combo attacks that could cause some major damage too ^_^
Kinda wanna use Swanna's Windstorm... looks to me like an epic move XD

I want them to be obscure effects that couldn't happen in any other way that would be very difficult to deal with, like making the defense (of both trainers pokemon) cut by 75% or to 1. That would be terrible.

Grei

not the color
I think the mixing of Fire Oath and Water Oath is much easier if you think of Fire Oath as creating a ball of fire (like a sun) and Water Oath creating an orb or spout of water that surrounds/crosses in front of the ball of fire. Then, you have the light of the fire shining through the layer of water, producing a rainbow effect.

But I suppose it makes more sense if Water Oath comes first that Fire Oath just converts the water into steam.

slowkingsley

There is also a new attack Heat Stamp that is shown to be learned by Pokabu in the most recent videos. It is probably similar to Koromori's Heart Stamp.

V Faction

www.faction.com
There is also a new attack Heat Stamp that is shown to be learned by Pokabu in the most recent videos. It is probably similar to Koromori's Heart Stamp.
Similar or exactly the same?

Funny thing with pigs. The end of their snouts look like upside-down hearts. For some reason this does not surprise me.

slowkingsley

With the new videos that were shown, I have compiled an updated list of all the moves that have been shown (that I've seen) in pre-release media.

Tsutaaja - Grass, Overgrow
Tackle, Leer, Vine Whip, Growth, Grass Mixer, Grasswhistle, Slam, Leaf Blade , Coil, Wring Out, Leaf Storm, Grass Oath

Pokabu - Fire, Blaze
Nitro Charge, Flamethrower, Take Down, Rollout, Smog, Roar, Fire Oath, Heat Stamp, Assurance

Mijumaru - Water, Torrent
Tackle, Tail Whip, Water Gun, Shell Blade, Water Pulse, Surf, Fury Cutter, Revenge, Water Oath

Zekrom - Electric/Dragon, Terra Voltage

Reshiram - Fire/Dragon, Turbo Blaze

Zorua - Dark, Illusion
Scratch, Leer, Pursuit, Fake Tears, Trickery, Fury Swipes, Scary Face, Faint Attack

Zoroark - Dark, Illusion
Fury Swipes, Faint Attack, Scary Face, Taunt, Claw Sharpen, Night Burst

Hihidaruma - Fire, Invigorate
Fire Punch, Incinerate, Superpower

Shimama - Electric, Lightning Rod/Motor Drive
Wild Bolt, Tail Whip, Charge, Quick Attack, Shock Wave

Mamepato - Normal/Flying, Super Luck/Pidgeon Breast

Munna - Psychic, Synchronize/Forewarn
Telekinesis, Hypnosis, Psywave

Giaru - Steel, Plus/Minus
Gear Saucer

Chiramii - Normal, Cute Charm/Technician
Sweep Slap, You First, Swift, Wake-Up Slap

Meguroku - Ground/Dark, Intimidate/Overconfidence
Assurance, Sandstorm

Wooguru - Normal/Flying, Keen Eye/Invigorate
Freefall, Hyper Beam, Superpower, Claw Sharpen

Minezumi - Normal, Keen Eye/Runaway
Bite, Bide, Detect, Crunch, Super Fang, Hypnosis, You First

Mushaana - Psychic, Forewarn/Synchronize
Telekinesis

Rankurusu - Psychic, Magic Guard/Dustproof
Reflect, Skill Swap, Light Screen, Psywave, Dizzy Punch, Psybeam

Gochiruzeru - Psychic, Frisk
Magic Room, Psybeam, Faint Attack

Kibago - Dragon, Rivalry/Mold Breaker
Double Chop, Dragon Dance

Koromori - Psychic/Flying, Unaware/Klutz
Heart Stamp

Victini - Psychic/Fire, Victory Star
Incinerate, Endure, Quick Attack, Confusion

Moguryuu - Ground, Sand Throw/Sand Power
Drill Liner

Gigaiasu - Rock, Sturdy
Rock Slide, Sandstorm

Mamanbou - Water, Hydration/Healing Heart
Soak, Brine, Surf, Wish

Shikijika - Normal/Grass, Chlorophyll/Herbivore
Energy Ball, Double Kick, Take Down, Faint Attack, Leech Seed

Miruhoggu - Normal, Illuminate/Keen Eye

Swanna - Water/Flying, Keen Eye/Pidgeon Breast
Wind Storm, Brave Bird

Kurumiru -Bug/Grass, Chlorophyll/Swarm
Bug Resistance

Emonga - Electric/Flying, Static

Yanappu - Grass, Gluttony
Acrobat

Doryuuzu -
Drill Liner
Ononokusu -
Denchura -
Desukaan -

Darumakka -
Basurao -
Aqua Jet, Uproar, Headbutt
Tabunne -
Doubleslap, Helping Hand, Growl

Today's big winner was Wargle with Superpower and Claw Sharpen (and to a lesser extent Hyper Beam). There was unamed attacks used by Mamanbou that looks very similar to the current Wish animation so I tentitively added it to the list. There was also unamed attacks used by Denchura, Reshiram and Zekrom, which I was not able to identify.

Also the new attack that Pokabu learns, IMO Heat Stamp and Heart Stamp will be Fire and Psychic versions of Fake Out.

Last edited: