• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Attacks & Abilities Discussion

Bloush

lost to Bianca...
wow these new abilites make some of the UU pokemon... alot better
im happily surprised. And wasnt the movesets just up a secound ago in the pokedex,and now their down? is the movesets already out? nvm their back up

Last edited:

SHINY CATCHER

Epic Snake is Epic!
Why GameFreak, Why. Sceptile + Unburden. Why make it faster instead of stronger. Well at least it'll now be the fastest SubSeeder.

Blaziken + Speed Boost = Awesome
Swampert + Damp = Metagross can do nothing
Ninetales/Politoed + Drought/Drizzle = Instant UBER

Perapmanta_017

I'm liking Grass Mixer and the ability Telepathy...they just sound great ! Can't wait 'till the games come out in the U.S. in April or May (I heard from GameStop that the games were coming out April 1st !!) so we will know the English names for everything.

Villi

Shimama!
Is it possible the Dream World Pokemon will have fixed IV's and Natures? I mean, the way they are obtained, they almost seem like event Pokemon. I haven't seen anything to confirm or deny this, but I may have missed something.

The way they are, it really seems a bit radical for all of these Pokemon to be introduced into the metagame. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to be nerfed somehow.

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
There are some really interesting changes this gen...
I've noticed Butterfree, Venomoth, Beautifuly, and Dustox, are among a few who all get a new attack that increases Sp.A, Sp.D AND Speed. That's pretty awesome, though its probably not enough to make them viable for competitive play.

A Sashed Butterfree that uses Compoundeyes Sleep Powder to ensure the use of this stat increasing move could be interesting though.

Brave Birdy

These new abilities....epic.

So do you guys think that Speed Boost Blaziken outclasses Infernape? Or will they now have different roles which they'll perform?

Grei

not the color
Turtwig and Mijumaru lines with Shell Armor is sort of boring... ah well. Gliscor with Poison Heal is interesting. And the Bug/Steel ant with Truant totally kills it. Any Fire-type can roast it easily.

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
Politoad has Drizzle =)

I love this

Edit: I know this is a little early to ask, but has it been determined that these new abilities are passed on through breeding?
I wonder why slowking/bro could not get it? I hope they are breedable.

Quagsire1

Quagsire Fan
Has anyone else noticed that if Hihidaruma's ability is Daruma Mode, it becomes a Fire/Psychic type? I wonder if it learns psychic type attacks.

V Faction

www.faction.com
I wonder how Shell Armor works against the Ice attack that always crits. I'm guessing the Pokemon is protected.

Feedmeacat

i hear cat is tasty
I'm liking the sound of Dust-Proof. Maybe it means I can take my pokemon to Burning Man next year! Wait, no, my DS still isn't dust proof :(

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
I don't know about them being ubers exactly. Drought ninetales can still be easily countered by tyranitar.

Smogon last I checked (if we're talking of Smogon) pointed out a Lvl. 1 Kyogre and Groudon is still broken. >.> I'm thinking Drought Ninetails and so on will be forbidden in standard play.

Meganium

Ninetales is my favorite pokemon and I've felt flash fire isn't that great an ability, why would anyone with a brain use a fire attack on it? But drought is a way better ability than I thought it would've gotten. Don't care if its banned in standard play, I still want one.

-Unicorno-

Think Magical!
Smogon last I checked (if we're talking of Smogon) pointed out a Lvl. 1 Kyogre and Groudon is still broken. >.> I'm thinking Drought Ninetails and so on will be forbidden in standard play.
wow i dont know how thats possible
you know a lv.1 rattata could be broken if it was FEAR

Mewtwo_soul

Servant of Mewtwo #1
wow i dont know how thats possible
you know a lv.1 rattata could be broken if it was FEAR

I hope that was sarcasm. The reason those abilities make any Pokemon broken is because they allow the team to be set up. (Speed Boosts, Hydration Vap/etc.) Generally (also in the case of Drought) it is powerful.

Fear is far from broken. It is countered by a majority of Pokemon, and moves. (Fake Out + Any move, Taunt, etc.)

slowkingsley

Here is a list of all the new moves in the game with their effects. I have matched up the names of moves that have been mentioned so far.

[Claw Sharpen]: Other Dark PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Raises Attack + accuracy]
[M469]: Other Rock PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [User and allies protected from multi-target attacks]
[M470]: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [User averages Defense and Special Defense with target]
[M471]: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [User averages Attack and Special Attack with target]
[M472]: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [All Defense and Special Defense swapped for 5 turns]
[M473]: Special Psychic PP: 10 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Causes Physical damage]
[Venom Shock]: Special Poison PP: 10 Power: 65 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Power 130 if target is poisoned]
[M475]: Other Steel PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Sharply raises user's Speed]
[M476]: Other Bug PP: 20 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: Whenever an opposing PokÈmon uses an attack with a target of "single non-user" or "single opposing PokÈmon" this round and there is a Pokemon at the position of this attack's user, it is directed to the Pokemon at the position of this attack's user instead of to any other non-user of that attack. Remains effective even if user is replaced. Priority level 3.
[Telekinesis]: Other Psychic PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Target easier to hit for 3 turns]
[Magic Room]: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Items can't be used for 5 turns]
[Strike Down]: Physical Rock PP: 15 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Target falls to the ground] (100%)
[M480]: Physical Fighting PP: 10 Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Always causes a critical hit]
[Burst Flame]: Special Fire PP: 15 Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Also damages allies slightly]
[Sludge Wave]: Special Poison PP: 10 Power: 95 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May poison opponent. (10%)
[M483]: Other Bug PP: 20 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Raises user's Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed]
[M484]: Physical Steel PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Heavier the user, the more powerful]
[M485]: Special Psychic PP: 15 Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Hits any Pokémon of same type as user]
[Eleci Ball]: Special Electric PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [More powerful the faster user is than target]
[Soak]: Other Water PP: 20 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Changes target's type to Water]
[Nitro Charge]: Physical Fire PP: 20 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [May raise Speed]
[Coil]: Other Poison PP: 20 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Raises user's Attack, Defense and accuracy]
[Low Kick]: Physical Fighting PP: 20 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Decreases opponent's Speed by 1 stage.
[Acid Bomb]: Special Poison PP: 20 Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Sharply lowers target's Special Defense]
[Trickery]: Physical Dark PP: 15 Power: 95 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Higher target's Attack, more powerful]
[Simple Beam]: Other Normal PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Changes target's ability to Simple]
[M494]: Other Normal PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Makes target's Ability same as user's]
[You First]: Other Normal PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Makes target attack next]
[Rinshou]: Special Normal PP: 15 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Allies with same move make the attack do more damage]
[M497]: Special Normal PP: 15 Power: 40 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Does extra damage if used every turn]
[M498]: Physical Normal PP: 20 Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Target's stat changes don't affect this attack]
[Clear Smog]: Special Poison PP: 15 Power: 50 / Accuracy: --- Effect: [All status changes return to normal]
[M500]: Special Psychic PP: 10 Power: 20 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [The more the user's stats are raised, the more powerful]
[M501]: Other Fighting PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [User and allies protected from priority attacks]
[Side Change]: Other Psychic PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Switches position with an ally]
[Boiling Water]: Special Water PP: 15 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May burn opponent. (30%)
[M504]: Other Normal PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Lowers user's Defense and Special Defense, raises user's Attack, Special Attack and Speed]
[Heal Pulse]: Other Psychic PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Heals target 50% Max HP]
[M506]: Special Ghost PP: 10 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Power 100 if target has status condition]
[Freefall]: Physical Flying PP: 10 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [2 turns. Target cannot attack during.]
[M508]: Other Steel PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Raises user's Attack and sharply raises user's Speed]
[M509]: Physical Fighting PP: 10 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: [Move last. Target switches out]
[Incinerate]: Special Fire PP: 15 Power: 30 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Destroys target's Berry]
[M511]: Other Dark PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Makes target move last]
[Acrobat]: Physical Flying PP: 15 Power: 55 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Power 110 if opponent has no item]
[M513]: Other Normal PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [User changes to same type as target]
[Get Even]: Physical Normal PP: 5 Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [More powerful if ally fainted on previous turn]
[M515]: Special Fighting PP: 5 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [User faints. Target takes damage equal to user's HP]
[Gift Pass]: Other Normal PP: 15 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Gives held item to target if they have none]
[M517]: Special Fire PP: 5 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 50 Effect: May burn opponent. (100%)
[Water Oath]: Special Water PP: 10 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [If used with Fire Oath, creates rainbow that may cause Confusion]
[Fire Oath]: Special Fire PP: 10 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [If used with Grass Oath, creates burning field that causes damage every turn]
[Grass Oath]: Special Grass PP: 10 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [If used with Water Oath, creates swamp that lowers Speed of all]
[Volt Change]: Special Electric PP: 20 Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: After this attack is used, if this attack is successful, if user has at least 1 HP, and if user's party has at least one non-active PokÈmon and the opposing Pokemon's party has at least one unfainted PokÈmon that isn't an egg, this attack causes the user to switch even if it cannot switch. (The new PokÈmon becomes active immediately. Effect of Destiny Bond and Grudge takes precedence over this attack's effect.)
[Bug Resistance]: Special Bug PP: 20 Power: 30 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May decrease opponent's Special Attack by 1 stage.
[Smooth Over]: Physical Ground PP: 20 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May decrease opponent's Speed by 1 stage.
[Ice Breath]: Special Ice PP: 10 Power: 40 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: [Always causes a critical hit] (100%)
[Dragon Tail]: Physical Dragon PP: 10 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: [Move last. Target switches out]
[Cheer Up]: Other Normal PP: 30 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Raises Attack and Special Attack]
[M527]: Special Electric PP: 15 Power: 55 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: Decreases opponent's Speed by 1 stage.
[Wild Bolt]: Physical Electric PP: 15 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack (recoil).
[Drill Liner]: Physical Ground PP: 10 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: Good chance for a critical hit.
[Double Chop]: Physical Dragon PP: 15 Power: 40 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: Strikes twice.
[Heart Stamp]: Physical Psychic PP: 25 Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May cause opponent to flinch.
[Wood Horn]: Physical Grass PP: 10 Power: 75 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: If this attack is successful, user gains half of HP lost by opponent due to this attack.
[M533]: Physical Fighting PP: 20 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Target's stat changes don't affect this attack]
[Shell Blade]: Physical Water PP: 10 Power: 75 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: May decrease opponent's Defense by 1 stage.
[Heat Stamp]: Physical Fire PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Heavier the user, the more powerful]
[Grass Mixer]: Special Grass PP: 10 Power: 65 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: May decrease opponent's Accuracy by 1 stage.
[M537]: Physical Bug PP: 20 Power: 65 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May cause opponent to flinch. Power is doubled if Minimize is in effect for opponent.
[M538]: Other Grass PP: 10 Power: --- / Accuracy: --- Effect: [Sharply raises user's Defense]
[Night Burst]: Special Dark PP: 10 Power: 85 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: May decrease opponent's Accuracy by 1 stage.
[M540]: Special Psychic PP: 10 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Causes Physical damage]
[Sweep Slap]: Physical Normal PP: 10 Power: 25 / Accuracy: 85 Effect: Multi-hit attack. Attacks two to five times in a row. 37.5% for 2 or 3 times; 12.5% for 4 or 5 times.
[Wind Storm]: Special Flying PP: 10 Power: 120 / Accuracy: 70 Effect: [May cause confusion] (30%)
[Afro Break]: Physical Normal PP: 15 Power: 120 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack (recoil).
[Gear Saucer]: Physical Steel PP: 15 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 85 Effect: Strikes twice.
[Flame Bomb]: Special Fire PP: 5 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May burn opponent. (30%)
[M546]: Special Normal PP: 5 Power: 85 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: If user is holding a Plate, this attack's type depends on the Plate held.
[M547]: Special Normal PP: 10 Power: 75 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [May cause Sleep] (10%)
[M548]: Special Fighting PP: 10 Power: 85 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [Causes Physical damage]
[Frozen World]: Special Ice PP: 10 Power: 65 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: [Sharply lowers target's Speed]
[M550]: Physical Electric PP: 5 Power: 130 / Accuracy: 85 Effect: May paralyze opponent. (20%)
[M551]: Special Fire PP: 5 Power: 130 / Accuracy: 85 Effect: May burn opponent. (20%)
[M552]: Special Fire PP: 10 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May increase user's Special Attack by 1 stage.
[M553]: Physical Ice PP: 5 Power: 140 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: [May cause paralysis] (30%)
[M554]: Special Ice PP: 5 Power: 140 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: [May cause a burn] (30%)
[M555]: Special Dark PP: 15 Power: 55 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: May decrease opponent's Special Attack by 1 stage.
[M556]: Physical Ice PP: 10 Power: 85 / Accuracy: 90 Effect: May cause opponent to flinch.
[M557]: Physical Fire PP: 5 Power: 180 / Accuracy: 95 Effect: [Lower's user's Defense, Special Defense and Speed]
[Cross Flame]: Special Fire PP: 5 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [More powerful if ally uses 559]
[Cross Thunder]: Physical Electric PP: 5 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: [More powerful if ally uses 558]

There are also a few named moves I either can't place on the list or am having trouble translating.

- Psycho Shock
- Nashikuzushi
- Saki Okuri

- Rinshou (Companion Reward?)
- Kogoeru Sekai (Frozen World?)

Also note that TM47 - Low Kick is a new move that is called that in Japanese, not the current english named Low Kick.

So there is a total of 91 new attacks in the 5th gen.

Also there have been some changes to some existing moves

- Thrash and Petal Dance have increased to 120
- Giga Drain and Drain Punch have increased to 75
- Hi Jump Kick has increased to 130
- Fury Cutter has increased to 20
- Bullet Seed and Icicle Spear have increased to 25 and Rock Blast's Accuracy to 90%
- Accuracies of the trapping movesBind, Wrap, Fire Spin, Whirlpool, Sand Tomb, and Clamp have all increased to 85%
- Accuracies of Glare(90%), Disable(100%), Poison Gas(80%), Cotton Spore(100%) and Scary Face(100%) have also incresed

Last edited:

The Trapinch

Mono-Teams Master
There's no reason to ban ninetales.
It's the power, not ability that makes for example groudon uber.
From the other side - Tyranitar isn't uber, abomasnow isn't uber, despite they induce eternal weather.Always we can spam golduck xD
Anyway, have you noted the mighty nasty plot lucario?
Coupled with speed boost blaziken there's no more place for inferno.
Back to weathers - there's one reason to ban tyranitar: Doryuuzu.
Imagine the powah of swords danced(learns by lv-up) LOed,EQ(off base 135 attack) and speed boosted to 550!