• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Buddy System Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychic

Really and truly
Niantic just announced an upcoming feature for Pokemon Go!

Having a Buddy Pokémon opens up unique in-game rewards and experiences. Buddy Pokémon will appear alongside your Trainer avatar on your profile screen. A Trainer can earn Candy for their buddy by walking a certain distance. When you want a different experience, you will be able to choose a new buddy at any time. Go out and explore the world with your Buddy Pokémon!
Some of the code found includes things like
km_buddy_distance
BUDDY_MEDIUM
BUDDY_SHOULDER
BUDDY_BIG
BUDDY_FLYING
ERROR_POKEMON_IS_BUDDY​
This suggests how far you'll have to walk with your buddy to earn candy, how your buddy will be displayed on your profile, and that buddies cannot be set in Gyms.

What do you think of this new feature? What impact do you think it will have on the game? What Pokémon are you planning on setting as your buddy?

~Psychic

Sprinter1988

Well, I guess it'll make getting candies a little easier, but beyond that I really don't see this as being that big of a deal. It's like the walking pokemon feature from HG/SS - its a nice visual but nothing overly special about it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The buddy system seems interesting to me in my opinion. Walking Pokémon seems to be a fun idea but there doesn't seem to be much aesthetic change but because it gives extra Candy, I could see it as a system that will be overused for some Pokémon because it's easy to get Candy for some Pokémon. Hopefully the system will allow us to switch Pokémon in the buddy system.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I find it interesting because its be a nice feature to get candies on pokemon you don't see regularly in your area like for example my poor charmander from the start never saw another one nor hatched another so I can evolve it to charmelon and charizard >.<

Tuvixer

Well it is an imptovement. :)
But I hope that it will not be only for getting more candy. Maybe they will add pokemon expirience as a unique category. :)

adamw92

Can't wait for this. I need more candies for the starter Pokemon. I've got 2 Pikachu's at the moment so I'm gonna get candy to evolve one into Raichu.

czilla85

Pokemon Master
My understanding is we don't actually see an avatar of the Lokemon following our avatar. Instead it just shows up on the profile page.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
My understanding is we don't actually see an avatar of the Lokemon following our avatar. Instead it just shows up on the profile page.

yeah the pokemon will not follow you on the map but it will show up in your main profile of your character :3 I am getting excited for the roll out though because I need some candies for certain pokemon ^_^ I hope to see it update tonight for the patch but I highly doubt it since its slowly getting to everyone since the pokemon plus isn't out yet for most countries. I don't know but I feel the us might not get it until the 16th when the plus comes out?

Vipsoccermaster

yeah the pokemon will not follow you on the map but it will show up in your main profile of your character :3 I am getting excited for the roll out though because I need some candies for certain pokemon ^_^ I hope to see it update tonight for the patch but I highly doubt it since its slowly getting to everyone since the pokemon plus isn't out yet for most countries. I don't know but I feel the us might not get it until the 16th when the plus comes out?
It's supposed to come on Friday, September 16, 2016. Nintendo of America confirmed that. Looking forward to the update, but it's going to be a while. I don't think I have the update that people in San Francisco have, with Pokémon at Poké Stops being nearby or whatever that update that was.

czilla85

Pokemon Master
It's supposed to come on Friday, September 16, 2016. Nintendo of America confirmed that. Looking forward to the update, but it's going to be a while. I don't think I have the update that people in San Francisco have, with Pokémon at Poké Stops being nearby or whatever that update that was.

The Buddy System and Search System are both in the same update.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

The Buddy System and Search System are both in the same update.

Said update also contains support for Plus, so unless some legit shenanigans are going down, it's very likely the update, buddy system and all, will drop by the end of the week at the latest.

I'm on an iPhone and I was just able to download this update (after much excessive checking since Saturday morning.) ;)

I immediately made Seel my Buddy, and although I'm still many km's away from a Dewgong, I'm definitely grateful that there's now a guaranteed way to (slowly but surely) accrue Candy for any of your Pokémon.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Do we have a conversion rate of kilometers/candy yet?

We do indeed! According to the researchers over on the red board, the starters and most other Pokémon drop one candy per 3 km. Rare Pokémon (Eevee, the fossils, Dratini, Snorlax, the Hitmons, Chansey, Jynx, Mr. Mime, Onix, Scyther, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, and Lapras) drop one per every 5. Finally, common mons (Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Geodude, and Magikarp) and Pikachu all drop at a rate of one per 1 km.

Evolutions drop the same amount of candy for the same amount of distance as their preevolved forms.

(And I realize I could've just dropped the link, but this is for those of you who don't want to click. Or who're on mobile because hot dang, that's a long infographic.)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Update is live in Australialand too.

Shame my phone has a custom rom (bought online from overseas) so despite a lack of rooting and etc, I will be unable to play the game when the update is forced! =( And I'm not about to buy a new phone just for one app.

porygonfan

I have Porygon as my Buddy. At first it was 3km to get a candy, it said "Porygon found a candy". But then after it now says 4km needed :/

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
alright I got my buddy gloom ^_^ I finally got the update in the US tonight which time to get some candies for evolving it into vileplume which porygonfan I think the meter goes up more and more to find more candies.

Status
Not open for further replies.