• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Characters/Plot - Discussion/Speculation Thread

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It's not that they look bad, far from it. Despite what I said in my last post I have to admit they look pretty sleek on their own merits, & their outfits fit the whole school concept perfectly.

I just don't like them because they don't feel like Pokemon characters, if that makes sense. When compared to every mainline title up until now, they just feel too realistic and lack the charm or personality humans in a Pokemon game usually have. These characters would be great for a spin-off game, but for a mainline game they feel too different that it's jarring. I think this pretty much sums up what I mean:

I personally like it this way, for a few reasons.

One, it's a fresh change of pace from the very much worn out art style we've been seeing for the last 25 years. It's about time we got something new.

Two, it gives me more of a blank canvas to work with for character creation. I'd rather not have a super expressive face or outfit. Let me design that on my own.

Three, the female protagonists always seemed a little sexualized. Most of them are 10. They should look 10.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I know what you're trying to get at (and this really isn't the thread for it), but... I highly doubt it.

Also, aren't placeholder names generally a bit closer in nature to the names of the games themselves? I know for SM we had, well, Sun and Moon; and for XY we had Xavier and Yvonne. These names feel a bit too unique (and are both relatively fitting for being the names of younger Player Characters, etymologically speaking) for that.
For me they aren't. I believe that the default names are actually Turo and Sada.

Ultra Beast Lover

For me they aren't. I believe that the default names are actually Turo and Sada.
1. They would not have the default names be the names of the Professors, even if they were going to do a time loop thing, because that would spoil the plot twist.

2. The Professors are version exclusive, not based on which gender you pick. How would the protagonist be a past version of them?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
1. They would not have the default names be the names of the Professors, even if they were going to do a time loop thing, because that would spoil the plot twist.

2. The Professors are version exclusive, not based on which gender you pick. How would the protagonist be a past version of them?
Transgender people exist. Pokemon is also no stranger to giving away plot twists early, with the opening cutscene of Sun and Moon directly spoiling the Aether Foundation's true nature.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
This sounds like a lot stuff to push onto what's essentially a blank slate avatar.

Ultra Beast Lover

Transgender people exist. Pokemon is also no stranger to giving away plot twists early, with the opening cutscene of Sun and Moon directly spoiling the Aether Foundation's true nature.
Alright then, let's try this. What evidence do you have that the Protagonists are past versions of Sada and Turo? Their default appearances don't look anything like Sada or Turo. I get that this is just a theory but you need to back it up with evidence otherwise it's just a random thought so, do you have any concrete evidence that the Protagonists could be Sada or Turo?

Luthor

This sounds like a lot stuff to push onto what's essentially a blank slate avatar.

Plus given that normally you can rename your avatar anyway it seems unlikely it will be used as a major plot point. I doubt there will be much significance of Turo and Sada outside of their base game, they might not even exist in the other game's timeline or if they do it might be in another profession.

MagicEspeon

P. F. Magician
While I would like to see a major trans character in Pokemon, there's no way it's happening now and in that specific way. It would make a lot of cis people mad and it would upset a few trans people to be told their avatar's gender is actually their assigned gender at birth. Also like... people are able to make the player character have a different skin tone from Sada and Turo? You can't logically explain a dark skinned kid growing up to be a white adult. I highly doubt the player character is meaningfully connected to the professors in any way, especially not them being the same person.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I feel like most of the people who would be outraged by a trans character or the option to change the player character's pronouns are the kinds of people who probably don't buy Pokemon games anyways because they're satanic communist propaganda or whatever.

Ultra Beast Lover

Moving on. What classes do you think will be held in the academy? Biology is one so that covers science and we have at least six teachers, one of whom I believe is the P.E. teacher.

Akashin

For you... what aren't? Their names respectively mean approximately 'youthful' and 'flowering/blooming'. That those are fitting names for young, school-aged PCs (and also names that don't really have anything to do with Scarlet and Violet, denying them being placeholders in the same sort of regard as past placeholders) isn't really an opinion...
Moving on. What classes do you think will be held in the academy? Biology is one so that covers science and we have at least six teachers, one of whom I believe is the P.E. teacher.
Given that it's Arven's specialty, I suspect that there would be a cooking class as well. Other than that... who knows? I imagine all of the classes will be applicable in some way to raising/battling/adventuring with Pokemon, though.

Orphalesion

I seriously doubt that there will be any classes that are just lectures. I think they will always be built around gameplay (battles etc.)

scififan21

The school concept does intrige me, and I wonder how long each respective 'story path' is. Hopefully each of them feels fleshed out and not just a mini quest line or something of that nature.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Geeta looks like a take character design, so I guess she's still working on Pokemon.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
This piece is interesting from the Website regarding Geeta:
Among the region’s Champions, she reigns supreme as the most skilled Trainer of all

So it confirms there are multiple champions in Paldea.
I guess Ash now has a reason to be in the SV Anime.

I can see one of the weaker champions appearing and beating Ash/Leon, quite a popular trope in shonen anime.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Do you think Brassius will use different members of Smoliv evolution family based on the point we fight him? I think the Sudowoodu will stay as it is, though we cannot exclude a possible Bonsly appearance.

LordSerperior

Really like the look of these new characters. Definitely feeling a lot better about the character designs for the region. Still not on board with in-game artstyle but Mela and Brassius are looking good. Geeta looks really strange though, mostly due to her eyes but somehow the artwork doesn't make them look as weird as they do in game.

Delinquents evil team? AGAIN
3rd one in a ROW.
Abit of ORIGINALITY. ??? NO.
They all have different inspirations and different goals. They're based on different things and work very well within the setting of the game's story. If we're gonna be reductionist about it, all the older teams can be boiled down to "criminal organisations".