• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Characters/Plot - Discussion/Speculation Thread

I like how the playable characters look in the art. The girl's braid will take some time to get used to but everything else is great.
I got to agree that the art style they went with in-game is rather odd though. I don't necessarily dislike it but it is weird that it deviates so much from the official art. I also worry that they will clash a bit too much with the Pokémon, since most Pokémon are inherently cartoony, even with detailed textures for scales, fur, and the like.

I don't really see the point in the school uniforms being differently colored between the versions, but I don't really mind. I just hope it's not a sign that a lot of the customization options are version locked like in SM.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I like how the playable characters look in the art. The girl's braid will take some time to get used to but everything else is great.
I got to agree that the art style they went with in-game is rather odd though. I don't necessarily dislike it but it is weird that it deviates so much from the official art. I also worry that they will clash a bit too much with the Pokémon, since most Pokémon are inherently cartoony, even with detailed textures for scales, fur, and the like.

I don't really see the point in the school uniforms being differently colored between the versions, but I don't really mind. I just hope it's not a sign that a lot of the customization options are version locked like in SM.
Unless they're bringing back the Festival Plaza feature from SM I don't think that the outfits are version locked.

MrJechgo

I'd like to get the following change, which would lead to "new characters"
  • Split the 18 types into 2 groups (one per version)
  • Pick 8 of these for gym leaders
  • Take the 9th remaining type for the criminal leader
Having 9 different characters per version would expand the idea of having exclusive gym leaders, seen in SwSh.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
If this whole school rivalry thing as the main challenge was true, and customization still returned despite that, that could mean that a large chunk of the customization options are centered around “spirit wear”, with these options having embroidery to represent the school that you are “representing”! That, personally, is MY favorite type of clothing.

That would be beyond cool, and I would even forgive the developers in the event that we still don’t have jewelry and expanded makeup options.

Ultra Beast Lover

It would be kind of a neat backstory if either the player or who I'll presume is their sibling just got out of school and are sent on a journey to complete the pokedex and collect gym badges. In most of the other mainline games the player character is either from the current region or just moved there and the Professor just kind of gives them a pokedex with little to no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's because the player's parents are family friends but usually there's not much of a reason to get the pokedex. One thing I will say SWSH did right was introducing the gym challenge right off the bat, giving us a reason to want to go and get the badges. I also like that Leon actually helped out. However, there needs to be a better balance for these games, it can't be all the other characters saving the day and it can't be all on the player character. Other characters can deal with the problems at first then they need to have the player team up with other characters to solve issues.

I would like it if there are grunts of the evil team roaming the world away from the roads. Make them behave like the fortune sisters and have them try and sneak up on and jump you. Maybe even while you are in mid battle with wild pokemon.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
So what's up with hexagonal patches on thier sleeves?

DSDark

Breeder
The plot is going to be bad. It appears that the player character is a child attending a school

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Since this is the second generation thats going to be on the switch im hoping that we get another storyline like the BW games considering they were the second generation on the original ds.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
This is the first time ever I actually like the "male avatar" design. Usually I find them so "C-tier shonen" that I don't even bother looking at them.

The female was almost there, too. Could have been my favorite after "Chicken-chan", if it wasn't for that weird braid... honestly, it looks so out of place.

Their models look hideous, though. Can't even begin to imagine what could be behind the decision to have the models' faces look realistic.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
This is the first time ever I actually like the "male avatar" design. Usually I find them so "C-tier shonen" that I don't even bother looking at them.

The female was almost there, too. Could have been my favorite after "Chicken-chan", if it wasn't for that weird braid... honestly, it looks so out of place.

Their models look hideous, though. Can't even begin to imagine what could be behind the decision to have the models' faces look realistic.

It could be with the added textures to the Pokemon they thought to do the same with the protags.

Have to wait and see really, BDSP people didn't like the models then they cleared up, have to see what they do with these.

The strange thing is the disconnect of the art and the models for the protags, which is interesting.

Orphalesion

It could be with the added textures to the Pokemon they thought to do the same with the protags.
It's not about the textures, the protags seem to be in a different, much more low-key artstyle than previously.
Which, really, why? Right now I can't imagine these models to be as expressive as those in Gen 6-8 were.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
It's not about the textures, the protags seem to be in a different, much more low-key artstyle than previously.
Which, really, why? Right now I can't imagine these models to be as expressive as those in Gen 6-8 were.

Let me re-explain myself.

Legends Arceus created new models for the games. With actual mouths and eyelids that were actually able to be fully animated instead of being 2d drawings on a 3d face for some Pokemon.

In this game we see that they are also building on the re-textured Pokemon, making them even more realistic and close to their own portrayal's in detailed games like Pokken or New Pokemon Snap.

It could be that the current charatcer models looked too cartoony compared to the updated models and they wanted something to match it, plus these models are very expressible, models like these have rigs on their mouths and other facial elements to help emote and animate better for expressions. These models also seem to be close to how New Pokemon Snap designed their characters.

What we have seen is just the basic "walking/idle" faces. We'll have to wait to see just how these characters truly emote and whether or not it works.

They also have realistic color in their faces, example rosier cheeks to properly show body heat in the face, it also helps define their faces more. Unlike say, Milo's face in SWSH being hard to read properly.

To me though, although its interesting to see the Sugimori art not match 100%, this bodes well for the game's overall look.

Hell, you can see the fabric of their shirts and that their backpacks are leather, that's pretty cool.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Opinion of the Day:

SV character models look like Sims. I can’t.

It’s gonna take a w h i l e to get used to these…

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I hope we get Trainer Customisation in this game like we have done since Generation VII.

We will, Pokemon haven't gotten rid of it since gen 6, they won't get rid of it now.

A glasses store was already shown in one of the town so clothing shops are in the game just like SwSh.

Golden_Arcanine

I hope we get Trainer Customisation in this game like we have done since Generation VII.
I don't think there's anything to suggest that it's going away.

Chomper4

I feel the names of the protagonists will be Roman and Liberty, and the one you didn’t choose to play as will be your older twin. and the gyms you will face will be in this order: Zania (Ground), Cosmo (Psychic), Nerisa (Dark), Castiel (Fairy), Justice (Water), Indigo (Bug), Gus (Poison), Amber (Electric), Peter (Dragon), and Randall (Flying), with Castiel and Amber exclusive to Scarlet and Justice and Peter exclusive to Violet.