• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Characters/Plot - Discussion/Speculation Thread

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I wonder if the evil team will be as good as TF
Loved them

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I wonder if the evil team will be as good as TF
Loved them
Eh Team Flare were Team Galactic ripoffs imo.
I'd rather the evil team had something like the Team Plasma storyline except with something completely different than liberating Pokemon so that it doesn't feel like a ripoff of Team Plasma either.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Can we have an evil team of mystics this time? Pokémon has had little in the way of mystical villains despite the abundance of spirits, psychics, and hex maniacs. Meanwhile, our current roster of villains are thugs or scientists:

Team Rocket: Thugs with evil scientists
Team Aqua and Magma: Thugs with a hint of ecoterrorism and in the case of magma scientists
Team Galactic: Evil physicists with energy obsession and a leader with delusions of godhood
Team Plasma: Creepy cult wing later introduce an evil scientist
Team Flare: Failed history majors who are too rich for their own good with evil scientists
Team Skull and the Aether Foundation: Regular school dropouts working as thugs for an evil scientist
Team Yell: Football hooligans. They are indeed the most evil.
Macro Cosmos: A guy who failed electrical engineering

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
In terms of storyline, we’re probably going to get a story heavy plot with lots of cutscenes since odd numbered generations tend to do that ever since Gen 5.

Gen 5 and 7 were rather story heavy, the latter being frustratingly so cutscene heavy that I was begging for a skip button.

Gen 6 and 8 were not exactly what I call story heavy even by this franchise’s standards, the former being an excuse and spurring conversations about whether Team Flare was a group of Nazis (no, they are not; there is no nationalist ambition to Team Flare) and the latter being confusing over the main villain wanting to boil water.
I think that this pattern will break, and this gen will have a much more laid back storyline with the complete absence of a villainous team for the first time ever.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I am ready for a story with lower stakes where you don't bump into an evil organization on your way to the market and casually prevents the apocalypse on your lunch break.
Have Team Orange and Team Grape be rivals, you be part of one, no one is trying to bring doom by abusing a Legendary pokémon. Keep things grounded, simple and just fun.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I am SO hoping for a drastic change in storytelling. Sword & Shield's main story was so dull. The bloody League Cards had more depth. Literally!

Also, it would be nice if the villain is a close ally or friend. Not like Volo, though, 'cause I saw that s*** coming a mile away. lol

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I feel like this region could possibly have a villainous team that are themed on PokeReligion or PokeMonarchy. If we're focusing on the school theme, then I guess we get an evil Department of Education of sorts.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
It would be nice if there was a villain you could actually sympathize with again. B/W almost did this with N (like I've said in other posts, if I actually lived in the Pokemon world I would probably agree almost 100% with N's philosophy), but then they had to go ahead and ruin it by making Ghetsis, the generic evil egomaniac, be the one who was pulling the strings the entire time. Imagine if we had an antagonist like N but without Ghetsis undermining his philosophy by being manipulative and stereotypically evil.

Pretty much every other villain we've ever had has been selfish, stupid, or some combination of the two. It would be nice to depart from that and have a villain that forces you to actually challenge your own beliefs as well.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
If we're focusing on the school theme, then I guess we get an evil Department of Education of sorts.
S O L D

Always down for an evil teacher/school story.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I feel like this region could possibly have a villainous team that are themed on PokeReligion or PokeMonarchy. If we're focusing on the school theme, then I guess we get an evil Department of Education of sorts.
I'm thinking that there is not going to be a villainous team at all.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I am ready for a story with lower stakes where you don't bump into an evil organization on your way to the market and casually prevents the apocalypse on your lunch break.
Have Team Orange and Team Grape be rivals, you be part of one, no one is trying to bring doom by abusing a Legendary pokémon. Keep things grounded, simple and just fun.
Team Grape's ultimate goal is taking over the local vineyard.

Morax

King of heroes
if there is no nationalism, then there cannot be fascism. Fascism relies on the concept of a national identity either by blood or by culture. The nuances are rather difficult to use In a children’s game. Even many history students are baffled from 1848 (Springtime of Nations) to the nationalism born from anti-colonial sentiments post-1945. Team Flare being genocidal maniacs with in groups and out groups makes the whole thing ring hollow. They’re just ecoterrorists who want to preserve the beauty of the world from overconsumption. There is also is the classism aspect of Team Flare which is downplayed in the game, making them read more like Thomas Malthus than they do any nationalist regime.
@Mega Ampharos the Dragon found you a fellow history buff.

Ultra Beast Lover

If we're focusing on the school theme, then I guess we get an evil Department of Education of sorts.
Well they've used the games to call out certain things before. Unfortunately it won't be America's education system... unless they call out all of the systems with similar problems.

Teravolt

If we're going this route though, it makes me wonder what their aims are.

Team Orange: "Sports! Theater! EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES!!!!!!!!!!"
Team Grapes: "Ohohoho! ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE is everything!"
Why not both? I like classes and extracurriculars.

if there is no nationalism, then there cannot be fascism. Fascism relies on the concept of a national identity either by blood or by culture. The nuances are rather difficult to use In a children’s game. Even many history students are baffled from 1848 (Springtime of Nations) to the nationalism born from anti-colonial sentiments post-1945. Team Flare being genocidal maniacs with in groups and out groups makes the whole thing ring hollow. They’re just ecoterrorists who want to preserve the beauty of the world from overconsumption. There is also is the classism aspect of Team Flare which is downplayed in the game, making them read more like Thomas Malthus than they do any nationalist regime.
Speaking of Nationalism and Fascism, as a history nerd, I would want an evil team based on something from the Spanish Civil War just before WWII (probably highly unlikely)

Other historical things in Spanish history would also be fine as well (especially since this game seems to have an Age of Exploration theme to it)

Sponge

Can we have an evil team of mystics this time? Pokémon has had little in the way of mystical villains despite the abundance of spirits, psychics, and hex maniacs. Meanwhile, our current roster of villains are thugs or scientists:

Team Rocket: Thugs with evil scientists
Team Aqua and Magma: Thugs with a hint of ecoterrorism and in the case of magma scientists
Team Galactic: Evil physicists with energy obsession and a leader with delusions of godhood
Team Plasma: Creepy cult wing later introduce an evil scientist
Team Flare: Failed history majors who are too rich for their own good with evil scientists
Team Skull and the Aether Foundation: Regular school dropouts working as thugs for an evil scientist
Team Yell: Football hooligans. They are indeed the most evil.
Macro Cosmos: A guy who failed electrical engineering

I was thinking the other day, I'd love for an evil team that leaned into a cult sort of vibe. Cloaks, mysterious nighttime gatherings, ancient conspiracies, that kind of thing.

I'm probably going against the grain here, but I'm not really interested in low stakes conflicts. I found Team Skull and Team Yell pretty boring outside of the comical aspects. (and that was only really fresh with Team Skull) That said if we do get a high stakes conflict I hope it's handled better than whatever Macro Cosmos was.

I think I'd like if they went with a Jessie & James type duo or trio (sort of like the bandits in Legends) for the comical and low stakes side of it. Then have a more mysterious team (that isn't called a team) for the main villain. Something like the Aether Foundation mixed with Team Galactic/Plasma. We can start with the low stakes stuff and then raise the stakes as we go along.

Last edited:

Teravolt

How about making the champion an evil team leader?
That would be epic! Kinda like Rose, but actually well-executed. I once read a story where Leon was an evil mastermind (he died tho).