• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Characters/Plot - Discussion/Speculation Thread

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Discuss about the new characters and the story here.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m trying to get over my gripe with the human character designs for this game, especially since everything else I’ve seen and heard about Scarlet & Violet looks great.

It’s just that this one aspect REALLY bothers me because they look way too different. After having eight generations of characters that are a more cartoony, anime inspired style, seeing the humans look more realistic with no exaggerated features to give them any charm or personality, & basically feeling like NPCs for a spin-off game just irks me. Their official artwork isn’t bad, but they just don’t feel like pokémon characters. It also doesn’t help that the starters do have more cartoony designs, so seeing them with the human characters feels like tonal whiplash.

Say what you will about SWSH, but the art style for those games was peak Pokémon and the humans were just as good as the Gen 8 roster. They were simple and cartoony, yet they oozed with personality and you could easily figure out their personalities solely based on their designs. Do I need to remind you about all of the Scottish trainer fan art that came out when Gloria’s design was first revealed?

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

I hope the characters have more involvement in the plot than SWSH. I wonder who the villain will be, I'm sure it'll have something to do with the battle gimmick.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
The only thing I don’t like so far about the player characters is the fact that they are younger again. This means they aren’t reflective of the true majority of those who will actually be playing these games, which are teens and young adults.

This is also a VERY bad sign in regards to any possibility that trainer customization will be improved on from SwSh. For S/V to have a chance at having better customization than SwSh, jewelry and expanded make-up options (for the girl at least, lol) need to be present. This doesn’t seem likely to happen if we’re getting avatars that haven’t reached the age where it’s normal to wear jewelry and make-up.

Aside from that, I really like these guys already, especially the boy. He looks so shy and insecure in the official artwork and it’s absolutely endearing and refreshing. The girl is the exact opposite and seems extroverted, outgoing, and full of life. And this bodes well for any chance that I would ship her and Ash

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Rewatching the trailer, and as many have noticed on Twitter, there seems to be lots of orange and grape references. The emblems on the door (live-action) and the ones on the male characters sleeves are the same. The table (live-action) have oranges and grapes. Even the game's titles reference this.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The only thing I don’t like so far about the player characters is the fact that they are younger again. This means they aren’t reflective of the true majority of those who will actually be playing these games, which are teens and young adults.

This is also a VERY bad sign in regards to any possibility that trainer customization will be improved on from SwSh. For S/V to have a chance at having better customization than SwSh, jewelry and expanded make-up options (for the girl at least, lol) need to be present. This doesn’t seem likely to happen if we’re getting avatars that haven’t reached the age where it’s normal to wear jewelry and make-up.

Aside from that, I really like these guys already, especially the boy. He looks so shy and insecure in the official artwork and it’s absolutely endearing and refreshing. The girl is the exact opposite and seems extroverted, outgoing, and full of life. And this bodes well for any chance that I would ship her and Ash
I think that trainer customization will be flat out gone because of the new school aesthetic.

Satoshi & Touko

I think that trainer customization will be flat out gone because of the new school aesthetic.
Boy am I getting serious deja vu from this post. Several other instances when a new game was announced you have said that customization probably wouldn’t appear. And although in most cases I feared you may be right, customization always turned out in the end to be present.

That said, I have no worries this time around. Customization is as much guaranteed to be present as the presence of Pikachu. :D

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm pretty sure the mere fact that they have different clothes depending on the version means we're getting customization. Gloria and Victor also had a sort of school aesthetic that never went anywhere. If anything their school aesthetic is probably just meant to show that they're young and maybe naive, they just got out of school and are ready for their journey but they haven't even changed into the proper adventuring clothes because they don't know any better.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm pretty sure the mere fact that they have different clothes depending on the version means we're getting customization. Gloria and Victor also had a sort of school aesthetic that never went anywhere. If anything their school aesthetic is probably just meant to show that they're young and maybe naive, they just got out of school and are ready for their journey but they haven't even changed into the proper adventuring clothes because they don't know any better.
I think that they're doing that to make up for the lack of customization. Schools, especially Japanese schools, don't like students showing off their individuality, creativity, and expressiveness.

Missingno.Fan

I don’t get the hate for the player characters. I mean they didn’t make me go “wow that’s so cool”, but at the same time nothing made me groan. I also don’t get why people are saying player customization is gone. Maybe the school uniforms are just the default outfit?

I hope the player characters are twins, because that’s something I wanted for years now.

Satoshi & Touko

I don’t get the hate for the player characters. I mean they didn’t make me go “wow that’s so cool”, but at the same time nothing made me groan. I also don’t get why people are saying player customization is gone. Maybe the school uniforms are just the default outfit?

I hope the player characters are twins, because that’s something I wanted for years now.
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention how I think these two may be twins. If they are, that would be awesome!

k6666

Pikachu Fan
The only downgrade from the trailer is the Player , the design is so meh and generic, it’s like school uniform, if they adapt it to the anime , anyone could wear that

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

It's not that they look bad, far from it. Despite what I said in my last post I have to admit they look pretty sleek on their own merits, & their outfits fit the whole school concept perfectly.

I just don't like them because they don't feel like Pokemon characters, if that makes sense. When compared to every mainline title up until now, they just feel too realistic and lack the charm or personality humans in a Pokemon game usually have. These characters would be great for a spin-off game, but for a mainline game they feel too different that it's jarring. I think this pretty much sums up what I mean:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Rewatching the trailer, and as many have noticed on Twitter, there seems to be lots of orange and grape references. The emblems on the door (live-action) and the ones on the male characters sleeves are the same. The table (live-action) have oranges and grapes. Even the game's titles reference this.
Orange you glad we're all feeling grape?

Based on what I've seen and from what others are saying the prospect of the duelling schools (One being represented by Grape, one by Orange) seems highly likely to me.
I personally believe the evil team are going to be pirates (in some way shape or form) looking to plunder the region of its treasures and riches etc.
I do hope we get some more character involvement as Sword & Shield felt very disjointed with the characters that got involved.

Ultra Beast Lover

Battling a rival school is certainly possible and could be fun though I'm not sure that it'll be that. I wouldn't mind a jerk rival as long as they aren't one note.