• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Characters/Plot - Discussion/Speculation Thread

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Uh, Wattson?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I was kind of hoping that Iono was really just a virtual avatar & Penny was the actual Levincia gym leader, but the recent videos confirmed that Iono is definitely a real person.

Nothing wrong with that since I really like her design, but it would've been a nice twist to the story and given Penny pretty good development

epithumia

Poison-type enthusiast
there's Sophocles, but he's more prone to geek it out if i'm remembering correctly? Iono straight up annoying lol

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Elesa's not excitable. Game Freak even said in an interview she was designed to seem robotic.

vondecayle

So far Arven is the only character I like along with the protagonists. Hopefully some of the new gym leaders are cool!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just beat the main story. Here are my thoughts:

Okay, Victory Road is kinda meh on story (but story isn't a huge focus in this path) and Nemona's... okay as a rival, but I do like her as more of a mentor character who's helping you along and just waiting for you to get to her level so she can go all out against you. Arven's story arc with Mabosstiff also tugs at your heart strings (although not nearly as much as his relationship with the Professor, poor guy just gets all of the tragedy in this story).

Team Star and The Way Home though, those are really strong in the story department and are filled with lots of emotional reveals and surprising plot twists. They really make you feel bad about taking down Team Star's bases with flashbacks that make you feel sympathy for the friendship the bosses have with each other and the grunts worrying about and lamenting the bases' downfall. They also seem to be conveying a very powerful message to kids with this storyline, that fighting begets more fighting and many bullies are the way they are because they've suffered bullying themselves. Luckily it all resolves happily with Team Star able to continue what they're doing under school supervision.

As for The Way Home. Hoo boy. This is a doozy by Pokemon standards and I never expected them to go this hard. First of all, looks like there was some truth to the rumors about the past and future Pokemon. And here I thought Paldean variants killed that rumor. And speaking of death. They did it. I never thought they'd do it but they did. They put death in a Pokemon game with the bombshell reveal that the real Sada/Turo died and the one we were talking to was just an A.I. I figured from the beginning of the game that Sada/Turo might be the villain of the game (a very interesting first for the series, with the Professor being the main villain) with how sus they were being, staying holed up in Area Zero and only talking to us through a monitor or phone, abandoning Arven, and how callously they're willing to reveal the original Professors' time travel experiments. But for this to be what was going on? I was not ready for this reveal. It also ends on a really bittersweet note thanks to the original Professors' security protocols forcing the A.I. to fight you. Which yes, makes the original Professors, not the A.I., the true main antagonists of this game, their obsession with bringing the past/future into the present is so extreme that they programmed the tech they left behind to fight you tooth and nail to protect it. And it really ends on a bittersweet note. The A.I. is forced to leave in the time machine to shut it down, but they are in a sense realizing their creators' ambition. Arven loses his parent, but the A.I. at least conveys their love for him before departing. And you're the hero of Paldea, but you're not being publicly recognized as such because the whole incident in Area Zero rightfully needs to be kept under wraps.

I do think there's one minor plot hole here because despite the Area Zero incident needing to be kept a secret they seemingly have no issue with Paradox Pokemon roaming around the entirety of the crater when one of them already escaped previously and they also seem to have no issue with you capturing them, taking them up to the surface, and battling random NPCs with them (I guess we're passing them off as Paldean variants or something?). Overall though, excellent story, the odd numbered generations come up with a great story once again. And who was it that said open world games can't have great stories?

MrJechgo

This is a clearer example on how voice acting would add so much to the experience.

This is the third musician/signer Gym Leader that feels completely lifeless without a voice ^^;

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
We’ll finally finished the story.

This one hit home for me, I lost my 19 year old dog last month and been finding it difficult, but she grew old and it happens, but then for Arven and his storyline as to why he wants Herba Mystica and it really hit home, and this just had to be the generation that introduced 3 different dogs too.

scififan21

We’ll finally finished the story.

This one hit home for me, I lost my 19 year old dog last month and been finding it difficult, but she grew old and it happens, but then for Arven and his storyline as to why he wants Herba Mystica and it really hit home, and this just had to be the generation that introduced 3 different dogs too.
Felt the same way my dog is still alive but is really old, so I worry her time is short. I also named the one I caught after her not seeing/knowing the story at that point.

Manbis

and I'm practically done with everything except the capture of the legendary Quartet. Said this multiple times and Im not afraid to say it again:

Area Zero is LITERALLY the best thing to ever happen to Pokemon in a longass time. And I mean it.
I just wish they added more normal pokemon to it. For me i only ever saw raichus, girafarigs and corviknights in the upper areas and that new rock pokemon in the cave areas. That fehlt incredible weird to go around for the story like 2 hours and only see these same pokemons again and again.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Finding out that the Professor Sada/Turo was dead all along was shocking. We haven't had a major death for a while. At least one who was dead with a AI speaking in pre-recorded voices and evolving strategies. And then the AI body has to return to the Past/Future to stabilize the time machine.

One of the most odd characters for me was that the Elite 4 is that one of the is Peppy a kid. It's already odd that pokemon has pre-school character as a trainer class. But a kid as a Pokemon League Elite 4 member is just really odd.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, why are small kids below 10 (age of consent to become a trainer in universe) allowed to train pokemons that can be dangerous?

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Finding out that the Professor Sada/Turo was dead all along was shocking. We haven't had a major death for a while. At least one who was dead with a AI speaking in pre-recorded voices and evolving strategies. And then the AI body has to return to the Past/Future to stabilize the time machine.

One of the most odd characters for me was that the Elite 4 is that one of the is Peppy a kid. It's already odd that pokemon has pre-school character as a trainer class. But a kid as a Pokemon League Elite 4 member is just really odd.
I've said it before and i'll say it again, why are small kids below 10 (age of consent to become a trainer in universe) allowed to train pokemons that can be dangerous?
what makes it funnier/stranger is the fact her Team is one of the most solid ones in the game. Is she like top 5 Elite Four Teams?

Luthor

In fairness on the 10 year old thing that's really only been established in the anime as a hard rule. I don't recall the games ever stating it. Plus the pokemon world's safety laws are dubious at best (If i remember correctly the Mistralton Gym literally fires you out of multiple cannons)

As for the elite 4 I found it more odd that they re-used Larry in the elite 4. I thought they'd have used Raifort as the elite 4 flying member given she's literally got a bird logo on her

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

Kid Elite 4 members are nothing new, as there was Phoebe in RSE (her ORAS design makes her look even more childish) and Acerola in the Alola games. There's also Aaron in Sinnoh who I believe is in his early teens, or even 12 at the youngest.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Kid Elite 4 members are nothing new, as there was Phoebe in RSE (her ORAS design makes her look even more childish) and Acerola in the Alola games. There's also Aaron in Sinnoh who I believe is in his early teens, or even 12 at the youngest.
Since you mentioned her, Acerola is between 11 19 years old according to Bulbapedia. Personally I think she might be portrayed as a short 15 years old.
But Poppy is clearly either 6 years or a 11 year old that's portrayed as a pre-schooler on purpose because the artists might think it was fun.