• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Characters/Plot - Discussion/Speculation Thread

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Is there any in-lore explanation why:
Larry has to be both a GL and E4? At first I thought it's because Tyme stopped being a GL but her spot was taken by Ryme so it does not match up... I'm wondering if E4 are treated as Champion-class trainers or none of them defeated Geeta

Regarding Nemona:
Does she ever mention any of her original Team Pokemon? I believe we can assume she had a Combat Breed Tauros based on intro but anything beyond it?
As for the first one, it's most likely for the bit to give the overworked salaryman three jobs, and who could say no to more Larry screentime? As for the second one, after her final battle Nemona mentions a round 2 with a different team but that's the most you hear of it

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
While the human cast of Scarlet and Violet are a lot better than the ones in X and Y, I don't like them as much as Sun and Moon or Sword and Shield.
The only Gym Leaders that really stood out to me were Larry because #Relateable, Iono because the game's mockery of e-girls and simps was pretty funny, and Tulip because she's gorgeous. I ended up liking Rika a lot too, there's just something about her that really makes me smile.
While it's a shame that Team Star weren't proper villains and there are a few holes in their back story, I like how the bosses are a wholesome group of friends who support each other. It feels like Penny was an attempt another Marnie, but it didn't quite work for me.
I ended up really liking Nemona, yeah she's another friendly rival, but I love her energy and she gave me more of a Sonia vibe. I especially love the cutscene after your final battle against her in Mesagoza, where she delays for a minute and you think she may be hurt, but then she bursts into pure joy and is just like "YOU DID IT!!!!", it was so cute!

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Something that makes me mad about Larry
I do believe swapping Larry's types would've been better and would've gave us our first Normal E4 member

I can totally see a GL Team of Flamigo, Sraraptor and Terra Scizor or Volcarona (Scizor works better IMO) and a E4 Team of Staraptor, Indeedee/Wigglytuff, Slaking, Komala/Sawsbuck and Dundusparce as ACE. What more Normal ACE can you get? If that would mean changing a Titan to something Normal Type we can go with Cyclizar or Squawkabilly./

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Alright, let me share my thoughts:

1. VICTORY ROAD
As could be expected, this was just a run of the mill Pokémon gym experience. Nothing special, except for the Gym Tests, which I felt were unique and different. Nemona is irritating as hell and Geeta is boring, but the Elite Four members are quite a bunch.

2. PATH OF LEGENDS
I dare say this is where the game's real story lies. I went from hating Arven to wanting to hug him and shield him from danger. The bond he has with his dog reminds me of my own. It's been over 20 years since my dog Blou passed, and I still miss him.

3. STARFALL STREET
This is a story I beg you all to see through. The more you play it, the better it gets. Halfway through I stopped seeing Team Star as villains and saw myself as one. They only wanted to stop being bullied, and they got labeled as bullies instead. Such a shame.

4. THE WAY HOME
My goodness...

That reveal. It was the first time I had to put down my Switch and take a moment to collect myself. I almost cried, for real. I felt so bad for Arven. His whole childhood is gone and he doesn't even get a chance to rebuild a relationship with his father. Never even had a chance. It's just so unfair. And f*** Sada for walking out on him when he was baby. What the hell was she thinking?

I'm glad Arven and Miraidon became close by the end. I almost want to give Arven Miraidon, but then I'd have to walk everywhere. lol

Last edited:

Copley Hill Gym

I remain convinced that the DLC is going to unify Scarlet/Violet by way of the professor who is missing in one version turning up. I.e. Sada, who is absent in Violet, returns in Violet, and in Scarlet, Turo, who is absent, returns.

There is a legitimate potential in seeing new Paradox forms from Past/Future by way of repeating the time machine storyline, but fleshing it out and employing the remaining living professor (and presumably parent to Arven).

I think the area north of Paldea that we are currently unable to travel to, is going to turn out to be a second "Area Zero" in some way, personally speaking. There is a real vibe coming from it that matches that found in Area Zero.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Is there any in-lore explanation why:
Larry has to be both a GL and E4? At first I thought it's because Tyme stopped being a GL but her spot was taken by Ryme so it does not match up... I'm wondering if E4 are treated as Champion-class trainers or none of them defeated Geeta
There is a guess on TV Tropes that Geeta really doesn't like him but keeps him on the payroll because of his immense talent. This is based on when Geeta asks you questions about the various characters and you choose to discuss him. The guess goes that because...

...Geeta has it out for Larry, she gives him both a Gym Leader job and an Elite Four job (as well as whatever his usual office duties are within the Pokémon League), as well as dock his pay if he talks too much (which none of the other Gym Leaders nor Elite Four members seem concerned about), as a means of trying to get him to quit without actually firing him. Real-life employers of the more toxic sort put this sort of pressure on workers they don't like but don't have evidence on which to terminate them or are genuinely really good at what they do. It is a rampant type of workplace bullying.

As for why Geeta might not like Larry, it is most likely because he is the only Gym Leader and/or Elite Four member who doesn't actually like to battle. Geeta comes off to me almost as battle-hungry as Nemona, and in this aspect, Geeta and Larry are complete opposites in worldview. Him seeing Pokémon battling as a means to a paycheck and nothing more likely annoys Geeta. That is, when Rika asks you, "Do you like Pokémon?," and you're supposed to answer "Yes," Larry is perhaps the only one in the Pokémon League, arguably the only one in the entire game, whose honest answer would be "No."

Arguably, Grusha may have a similar kind of weariness about him, since he can no longer perform his previous line of work and is paid entirely via the Pokémon League. (As the other six Gym Leaders have other jobs, Rika and Poppy are minors, and Hassel is a teacher, that leaves just these two as employees of the League and nothing else.) However, Grusha feels he needs to prove something and thus dedicates himself, whereas it seems to just come naturally for Larry. That is, Grusha may spend his off time training and practicing, while Larry just hangs out at Treasure Eatery, the latter of which would irk a workaholic boss.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
There is a guess on TV Tropes that Geeta really doesn't like him but keeps him on the payroll because of his immense talent. This is based on when Geeta asks you questions about the various characters and you choose to discuss him. The guess goes that because...

...Geeta has it out for Larry, she gives him both a Gym Leader job and an Elite Four job (as well as whatever his usual office duties are within the Pokémon League), as well as dock his pay if he talks too much (which none of the other Gym Leaders nor Elite Four members seem concerned about), as a means of trying to get him to quit without actually firing him. Real-life employers of the more toxic sort put this sort of pressure on workers they don't like but don't have evidence on which to terminate them or are genuinely really good at what they do. It is a rampant type of workplace bullying.

As for why Geeta might not like Larry, it is most likely because he is the only Gym Leader and/or Elite Four member who doesn't actually like to battle. Geeta comes off to me almost as battle-hungry as Nemona, and in this aspect, Geeta and Larry are complete opposites in worldview. Him seeing Pokémon battling as a means to a paycheck and nothing more likely annoys Geeta. That is, when Rika asks you, "Do you like Pokémon?," and you're supposed to answer "Yes," Larry is perhaps the only one in the Pokémon League, arguably the only one in the entire game, whose honest answer would be "No."

Arguably, Grusha may have a similar kind of weariness about him, since he can no longer perform his previous line of work and is paid entirely via the Pokémon League. (As the other six Gym Leaders have other jobs, Rika and Poppy are minors, and Hassel is a teacher, that leaves just these two as employees of the League and nothing else.) However, Grusha feels he needs to prove something and thus dedicates himself, whereas it seems to just come naturally for Larry. That is, Grusha may spend his off time training and practicing, while Larry just hangs out at Treasure Eatery, the latter of which would irk a workaholic boss.

I don't think Geeta has it out for Larry; I just think Geeta sees his potential and uses it to the League's advantage.

Geeta doesn't peg me as the toxic, bullying type, and she is very big on seeking out and showcasing talent. In addition, it's been implied a number of times that Larry is one of the most skilled trainers around. It's like Geeta gave him both positions because she knows he can handle both. I do agree that Larry likely doesn't care much for battling and is simply a natural talent. He likely laments his positions because of Geeta's strong ideology about battling, rather than her being a jerk of sorts, which results in in her demanding he works harder.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
A short Simple chance which would benefit Nemona:
Wouldn't giving her Dragonite or Salamance benefit her more than Goodra? Her Team Has haevy Ground and Fighting weaknesses so part Flying would be good. Especially since she easily covers that 4x Ice weakness with half od her Team.

Hassel, on the other hand, would benefit more from Hydreigon, Garchomp or Dragapult instead of a second Dragon/Flying tyle (I'm speaking about the Academy Ace full team

I would really want to see Geeta's Original Team.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
A short Simple chance which would benefit Nemona:
Wouldn't giving her Dragonite or Salamance benefit her more than Goodra? Her Team Has haevy Ground and Fighting weaknesses so part Flying would be good. Especially since she easily covers that 4x Ice weakness with half od her Team.

Hassel, on the other hand, would benefit more from Hydreigon, Garchomp or Dragapult instead of a second Dragon/Flying tyle (I'm speaking about the Academy Ace full team

I would really want to see Geeta's Original Team.
Professor Gible has evolved into Professor Garchomp

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
No one mentioned it but what if Penny is Adaman's and Irida's Descendants?

The full Eeveelutions team makes me wonder...

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Apparently in the JP version Brassius refers to everyone who isn't Hassel as "kisama" which is a very rude way of saying "you" in Japan, so it's not used in real life very often as you can imagine, I think that's funny and I wish that rude side was shown in the English localization, and it's also cute that Hassel is the only person Brassius doesn't call what is basically the Japanese word for bastard

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
No one mentioned it but what if Penny is Adaman's and Irida's Descendants?

The full Eeveelutions team makes me wonder...
Seems unlikely, as in-game dialogue states Penny’s home region is Galar (save for her parents moving from Sinnoh).

While Adaman and Irida are the only other known trainers using a full Eeveelution team it does not necessarily mean Penny is somehow related to them.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Seems unlikely, as in-game dialogue states Penny’s home region is Galar (save for her parents moving from Sinnoh).

While Adaman and Irida are the only other known trainers using a full Eeveelution team it does not necessarily mean Penny is somehow related to them.
that's true but we know of Hisuian characters having descedants in Galar, Laventon and Leon/Hop being an example

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While I love Team Star bosses, all of their aces (or sub-aces if you count the Starmobiles) aside from Eri & Ortega are questionable since they don’t really fit their characters or designs. If it was up to me, these would be their main pokémon:
  • Giacomo would have Lokix since its futuristic design fits with his techy DJ aesthetic
  • Mela’s Charcadet (Charlos) would evolve into Ceruledge since it fits her personality better than Armarouge
  • Atticus would have Grafaiai since it fits with his design, the fact that Team Star are painted as delinquents, & his artsy personality

I also get the feeling that Kingambit being Giacomo’s ace is another reason why Geeta doesn’t use her Kingambit last (along with how Glimmora reflects Area Zero & matches her design)

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
While I love Team Star bosses, all of their sub-aces aside from Eri & Ortega are questionable since they don’t really fit their characters or designs. If it was up to me, these would be their main aces:
  • Giacomo would have Lokix since its futuristic design fits with his techs DJ aesthetic
  • Mela’s Charcadet (Charlos) would evolve into Ceruledge since it fits her personality better than Armarouge
  • Atticus would have Grafaiai since it fits with his design, the fact that Team Star are painted as delinquents, & his artsy personality

I also get the feeling that Kingambit being Giacomo’s sub-ace is another reason why Geeta doesn’t use her Kingambit last (along with how Glimmora reflects Area Zero & matches her design)
It would have been really funny if Atticus used Glimmora in his rematches and he sent it out first

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Kingambit makes perfect sense for Giacomo. They outright said he's the de facto leader while Cassiopeia is away.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Kingambit makes perfect sense for Giacomo. They outright said he's the de facto leader while Cassiopeia is away.
Wait, that doesn’t make sense because he’s the weakest boss in the game

Akashin

Wait, that doesn’t make sense because he’s the weakest boss in the game
Why does that matter? The levels of their teams when we challenge them don't represent any sort of internal hierarchy between them, to say nothing of the fact that their rematch teams are all equal, anyway.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Also, there are several stories where the boss is weaker than their subordinates.