• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Dragon Quest now in Production!

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
"Square Enix is currently “making the next” Dragon Quest, series creator Yuji Horii said at Niconico Super Conference 3 in Chiba.

He didn’t say whether it was Dragon Quest XI, but given that it’s a numbered series and the word “next” was used, we’re assuming that’s what he’s referring to.

However, when Horii made the comment, Dragon Quest X producer Yosuke Saito and chief planner Anzai Takashi looked as though they weren’t expecting him to say that, as if it might have been something he shouldn’t have said.
"

That's basically all it said. But here's the link nontheless
http://gematsu.com/2014/04/next-dragon-quest-game-production

That last comment makes it seem like it's not an iOS title. So what do you think? 3DS or PS4? The Wii U is definitely out of the question, as Dragon Quest is only on platforms that have the highest install base. DQX on Wii U was an exception because it was the only next-gen console announced at the time, and maybe they thought the Wii U would have retained the same success as the Wii did.

Dragon Quest isn't a big name outside Japan, but a next-gen DQ would be a good re-introduction into the series, as it's been almost a decade since DQVIII release on the PS2. 3DS seems the most likely, as it already has a near 50M install base. On the other hand, while the PS4 isn't doing too hot in Japan, it is picking up fast WW. It's got a clean 3M advantage over the Xbone, and probably a 1-2M advantage over the Wii U, depends on how Wii Us have actually been SOLD-THROUGH since December 31st, 2013's 5.9M shipped reports.

Any thoughts and opinions? Excited for a possible DQXI, or settig your expectations low in case of iOS? Anyone played DQ before?

Last edited:

Ketaru

Not at all optimistic. While I like the Dragon Quest games, they aren't popular in the US, and so they are slow to bring the games here...if they do at all. Still waiting for a localized VII 3DS.

ForeverFlame

I'd sacrifice XI for VII-R tbh. There's no way it'll be as expansive, and it will probably place a great emphasis on SreetPass and co-op, which simply isn't feasible in North America because Dragon Quest is so niche here.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I'd sacrifice XI for VII-R tbh. There's no way it'll be as expansive, and it will probably place a great emphasis on SreetPass and co-op, which simply isn't feasible in North America because Dragon Quest is so niche here.

So, you'd sacrifice a possible DQXI (this is a next main entry we're talking about here)... For DQVIII 3DS to get localized...

Innocentmercy

Ehh, I'm kind of excited. I was hoping that Dragon Quest VII on the 3DS will be released here. However, there were no recent news about it, and it lost 3/4 of my excitement, unfortunately.

If its going to come out on the 3DS, I might as well try it out once its out in the future.

Ketaru

It'd be nice if they at least gave some inkling that they haven't given up on Dragon Quest in NA. I'm hoping they use the success of games like Bravely Default as indication that these kind of game do sell here.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
Not really excited for it at the moment but I'll look into it once there is more news. For the 3DS I'm guessing?

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
There has been ABSOLUTELY ZERO INFO, other than a "next" Dragon Quest is in development now. Might be DQXI, might be a spin-off game. We don't know yet. However, we do know that IF it is DQXI, it won't be on mobile, as has been stated by the producer for a while now. AND that the game will be on the platform with the highest install base. There are only two candidates for this; 3DS and Vita.

Those two are basically neck-to-neck now weekly. It would be best IMO to have it multiplatform. In Japan, PS4 and PS3 each are doing ~11K each week, and Wii U ~5K. 3DS and Vita are constantly close to each other, each averaging at ~25K/w

Really, DQ does best in Japan. How good?
For both DQVIII and DQIX, Japanese sales were 4.5x more than NA and EU sales combined.