• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Dub Voice Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
The Great Butler said:
If people are allowed to whine and whine about how 'evil' 4Kids is, I have every right to do the same about how I feel that PUSA is evil.
4Kids has made it painfully obvious they're evil. PUSA hasn't had a chance to prove anything. You've just tried and convicted them on one rushed special.
That is my last damn word on the subject until September. And don't say I didn't warn you when my prediction is right.
FREE AT LAST (or least for the next couple of months anyway)! I'll be laughing my hind off when PUSA makes a superior dub for less.

The Great Butler said:
If people are allowed to whine and whine about how 'evil' 4Kids is, I have every right to do the same about how I feel that PUSA is evil.

That is my last damn word on the subject until September. And don't say I didn't warn you when my prediction is right.

I, for one, would miss you if you stopped posting. Come on! Stick around! Think of how dicey things might get come mid-August...

The problem with what you say is that PUSA has almost no track record with which to judge them, where 4 Kids has produced, for better or worse, tons of shows for over 8 years now. There are plenty of people on both sides of the aisle who have opinions, and I think they all are worth a listen. There are 8 million stories in the Naked City, and I want to hear them!
About Ash - the voice sounds VERY close to Veronica...VERY close. But I've actually heard a rumor today that the new voice isn't 100% agreed upon yet...

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
old guard truthseeker said:
But I've actually heard a rumor today that the new voice isn't 100% agreed upon yet...

But if they've already recorded the first two Season 9 episodes, aren't they planning to stick with it? Unless we're going to have Ash change multiple times throughout Season 9. -_-

Jeez, I never figured out why Ash was such a hard voice to cast in the first place. You just can't make him sound too generic, (or else he'll sound like all the other filler boys on the show, case in point, what the Mastermind Ash sounded like), but his voice can't be *too* deep either because he's still a young teen.

Then again, the Japanese VA for Ash gave him a deeper and more aggressive voice as the show went on, since in Japan they treat Ash as an older character in the Advanced series.

I honestly think the PUSA cast should also listen to what the Japanse voices sound like. Japanese Ash has a good voice, its pretty deep without being too deep.

The Big Al said:
FREE AT LAST (or least for the next couple of months anyway)! I'll be laughing my hind off when PUSA makes a superior dub for less.

I will say this, and only because I've heard some of the numbers that 4 Kids was charging Pokemon for production and making off of Pokemon in licensing fees at the same time. We're talking in the *millions*, and no one in the employee ranks (except perhaps for Michael Haigney) has gotten the least bit rich for all of their success. I'm not meaning to bash them, but they really ought to be ashamed. Maddie knows how little she's made compared to what she's contributed to the success of their shows. I'm not saying that Maddie for you to comment: I just want you to know that I know, and I think it's grossly unfair.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
About Ash - the voice sounds VERY close to Veronica...VERY close. But I've actually heard a rumor today that the new voice isn't 100% agreed upon yet...
I hope not close enough it sounds like it's on femal hermone treatment. If that's the case, I'll want the first NewAsh back.

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
I, for one, would miss you if you stopped posting. Come on! Stick around! Think of how dicey things might get come mid-August...

I dunno if OGT is being sarcastic, but I agree. I love having lots of people to talk with on this thread... so please, won't ya stick around? Unless the stress is bad for your health, of course.

Yes, I AM the new Ash VA!
Haha, okay, seriously, kidding...

but that's great to hear it's really close to Veronica's! But why in the freakin' world would they not keep it for sure then?!?

CyberCubed said:
But if they've already recorded the first two Season 9 episodes, aren't they planning to stick with it? Unless we're going to have Ash change multiple times throughout Season 9. -_-

Jeez, I never figured out why Ash was such a hard voice to cast in the first place. You just can't make him sound too generic, (or else he'll sound like all the other filler boys on the show, case in point, what the Mastermind Ash sounded like), but his voice can't be *too* deep either because he's still a young teen.

Then again, the Japanese VA for Ash gave him a deeper and more aggressive voice as the show went on, since in Japan they treat Ash as an older character in the Advanced series.

I honestly think the PUSA cast should also listen to what the Japanse voices sound like. Japanese Ash has a good voice, its pretty deep without being too deep.

If I may, my buddy is adapting the scripts, and a couple of months ago he let me hear a few Japanese episodes. I think the Japanese actors are down right BRILLIANT. Ash is so easy going and believable, and everyone throws everything into their performances. I think part of the problem is taking the Japanese lip 'flap' and turning it into a credible English performance, when the original cadence and language is SO different. Very tricky, I think. All those who are successful deserve every praise.

Trainer Rachel said:
I dunno if OGT is being sarcastic, but I agree. I love having lots of people to talk with on this thread... so please, won't ya stick around? Unless the stress is bad for your health, of course.

Yes, I AM the new Ash VA!
Haha, okay, seriously, kidding...

but that's great to hear it's really close to Veronica's! But why in the freakin' world would they not keep it for sure then?!?

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I love back and forth. This country needs a lot more of that. So if we get that here, hey! It's a start...

I would only be guessing, but I think some are worried about Ash's voice walking the line between young (a bit feminine) and older (masculine). I just hope they're not over-worrying...There's an old saying that goes: A camel is a horse that was designed by a committee... you know?

Shift

I'll learn you good!
I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I love back and forth. This country needs a lot more of that. So if we get that here, hey! It's a start...

I would only be guessing, but I think some are worried about Ash's voice walking the line between young (a bit feminine) and older (masculine). I just hope they're not over-worrying...
Yeah, holding back how you feel doesn't really help yourself or the other person, but people should just talk with respect and all that. And I'll try not to over-worry, myself.
There's an old saying that goes: A camel is a horse that was designed by a committee... you know?
Or, as a trainer would say, " A Camerupt is a Rapidash that was designed by a committee." Yeah, rather lame...

Hidden Mew

Fog Trainer
maddiejoan said:
I'm no longer sure of anything :)

When it comes to this thread, I'm not sure of anything either. This is just keeps on getting more and more confusing by every second. The ball of agruments bounches back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. *holds in her screams of confusion.* *meditates quietly for a few moments* Now, I'm relaxed.

Anyway, what an interesting fall this should be. Starting my senior year of high school, plaining for college, and really seeing if these voices will make my ears bleed like before. I know that old guard truthseeker is saying that they're improving, but that has yet to be proven. Its not that I don't believe him because whether or not he has connections I'm sure that they're trying their best. But like what other people have said, I need solid proof before I could believe anything he says.

Last edited:

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
Hidden Mew said:
Its not that I don't believe him, but like what other people have said, I need solid proof.

Yeah. I really don't see why the new VA's can't upload a clip of their voices for us to hear. Not a clip from the show, but just them using their lil recorder device on their computer saying something short so we could see what they sound like.

Trainer Rachel said:
Yeah. I really don't see why the new VA's can't upload a clip of their voices for us to hear. Not a clip from the show, but just them using their lil recorder device on their computer saying something short so we could see what they sound like.

Well....imagine you're a VA (and judging from what a little birdie told me, you just may be some day...), and you've just done weeks of auditions to get a part in a major show. You show up at a $100,000 state of the art recording studio and work for hours with a director to make sure you've gotten the best performance and sound possible. Would you then go home and record a performance on your computer in a few minutes and then upload it to a group of fans, some of which will have your HEAD if it's not 110% perfect (which is totally subjective in the first place)?!

Hoo boy...not me...

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
Well....imagine you're a VA (and judging from what a little birdie told me, you just may be some day...), and you've just done weeks of auditions to get a part in a major show. You show up at a $100,000 state of the art recording studio and work for hours with a director to make sure you've gotten the best performance and sound possible. Would you then go home and record a performance on your computer in a few minutes and then upload it to a group of fans, some of which will have your HEAD if it's not 110% perfect (which is totally subjective in the first place)?!

Hoo boy...not me...

Um.... yeah XD

Haha, but true, I understand your point. It is hard to sound perfect and it can take a lot of... well... takes to get it just right.

maddiejoan

Rising Trainer
I will say this, and only because I've heard some of the numbers that 4 Kids was charging Pokemon for production and making off of Pokemon in licensing fees at the same time. We're talking in the *millions*, and no one in the employee ranks (except perhaps for Michael Haigney) has gotten the least bit rich for all of their success. I'm not meaning to bash them, but they really ought to be ashamed. Maddie knows how little she's made compared to what she's contributed to the success of their shows. I'm not saying that Maddie for you to comment: I just want you to know that I know, and I think it's grossly unfair.

I'm sure TAJ will do it for free :::::roll eyes:::::

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
maddiejoan said:
Maybe PUSA thinks they can keep TAJ on a tighter leash.

Though it's the exact same thing happening here in Detroit. The CEO's and Boards of Directors are bleeding their companies dry with perks and bonuses created during boom times and then have the nerve to complain about employee benefits.

Back on topic. So we'll see (err...hear actually) when the ninth season airs probably in late August/Early September

maddiejoan said:

Of course not. And from what I've heard the VAs and scriptwriter will get about the same they always received. The difference is...in the OVERHEAD. If you think the prez of TAJ is going to get rich on Pokemon...you're wrong. If you think the mucky mucks at 4 Kids got rich on Pokemon - you're right. I would imagine you don't think 4 Kids has really been up that front about this either.

Status
Not open for further replies.