• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Dub Voice Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanMack

Johto Champion
The Big Al said:
4Kids has made it painfully obvious they're evil. PUSA hasn't had a chance to prove anything. You've just tried and convicted them on one rushed special.
4Kids is "evil"?

Excuse me while I laugh at that statement. Seriously, no matter what they've done, you can't seriously believe they're "evil".

If you do, then, wow.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
The Big Al said:
4Kids has made it painfully obvious they're evil. PUSA hasn't had a chance to prove anything. You've just tried and convicted them on one rushed special.

FREE AT LAST (or least for the next couple of months anyway)! I'll be laughing my hind off when PUSA makes a superior dub for less.

And I'll laugh at your dumb *** for even thinking they can make a superior dub. I'm sure the "pointless edits" yall ***** about all the time will continue.

Rest in Peace Pokémon ~ 1998-2006

~Scott;229;

Last edited:

Drew.

→ kill the n o i s e
RomanMack said:
4Kids is "evil"?

Excuse me while I laugh at that statement. Seriously, no matter what they've done, you can't seriously believe they're "evil".

If you do, then, wow.

'Evil'? No.

I believe alot of their editing is due to Copyrights... theres also the fact that they feel they have to change somethings and make them more kid-friendly or appropriate. I don't doubt that, but I don't think thats the only reason for all their editing.

Even if Pokemon WAS heavily edited, I still watched it and ejoyed it even after seeing the Japanese version....

They're not evil, they're doing their jobs...

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
RomanMack said:
4Kids is "evil"?

If you do, then, wow.
I was using your words. You were the one that said we think 4Kids is "evil". I don't think it's really evil. I just think it's a terribly run company that destroys anime and think they do it a service. Actually, sadistic would describe them better than evil.

Pure

back.
MidnightScott said:
And I'll laugh at your dumb *** for even thinking they can make a superior dub. I'm sure the "pointless edits" yall ***** about all the time will continue.

Rest in Piece Pokémon ~ 1998-2006

~Scott;229;
Am I the only person slightly optomistic here? Give it a chance. They are re-recasting the voices.

RomanMack

Johto Champion
Maybe.

Or maybe they just like targeting their anime towards young kids (Pokemon is for young kids anyways, well, targeted) and are not doing it to "destroy" the anime. (even though the Pokemon dub is still far from destroyed, and yes... I've heard what has been changed. Over-exaggeration is what you guys are doing.)
'

So... If you think they lisence anime just so they can "destroy" it... You're wrong.

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
The only thing I thought good was Movie music. But then again, that wasn't even aired anywhere but the US so they wouldn't have *****ed about it. If it was aired in Japan and then the US and the music was different they would still *****.

Animé Purists *rolls eyes*

~Scott;229;

RomanMack

Johto Champion
Now now. I also think it's too rash to dismiss the new dub so fast. Yes, it sucks that the old voices we've had for almost a decade are being changed. However, we should give the new dub a chance. I mean... Either way, it's still Pokemon.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Drew. said:
I believe alot of their editing is due to Copyrights... theres also the fact that they feel they have to change somethings and make them more kid-friendly or appropriate. I don't doubt that, but I don't think thats the only reason for all their editing.
Pokemon doesn't need to be edited at all in the first place - it's kid friendly enough already. o_O Their job is to translate the series to American audiences, only editing what is needed (such as blood, which Pokemon doesn't have). I also don't think that they're "evil", just a badly run company. And what do you mean by "copyrights"?

Pokemon is a decent dub (translation-wise, aside from The First Movie, fifth movie, and Chronicles), yes - but the editing isn't really needed at all. o_O

As for the voice actors, I'm sort of indifferent to the change. Nothing personal, I only like how several of the old voice actors did the voices (the first Ash voice, Meowth's voice, Jessie's voice, Misty's voice, Brock's voice, and some few random fillers/non-fillers here and there). Aside from that, most of the rest seems a little subpar to me. Same goes for the new ones (though, my opinion is that they will improve over time).

I feel sorry that the voice actors lost their jobs and all, but I'm also open to changes and giving the new ones a chance.

Last edited:

MidnightScott

Super Gamer
Satoshi said:
Pokemon doesn't need to be edited at all in the first place - it's kid friendly enough already. o_O Their job is to translate the series to American audiences, only editing what is needed (such as blood, which Pokemon doesn't have). I also don't think that they're "evil", just a badly run company. And what do you mean by "copyrights"?

Pokemon is a decent dub (translation-wise, aside from The First Movie, fifth movie, and Chronicles), yes - but the editing isn't really needed at all. o_O

You realize that each episode has to be approved to be aired on Television - so anything that is not fitting their "TV-Y7" rating is removed in the first place.

Afterall, it isn't aimed towards rebellious teenagers but "children".

~Scott;229;

Last edited:

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
Xi said:
Am I the only person slightly optomistic here?

No. I am optimistic, too. And as I've said before, it is highly unlikely that PUSA will make any edits at all. Why? Because PUSA knows that many fans despise the 4Kids edits, and that's why PUSA decided to take over the dub in the first place. Though I wouldn't be surprised if PUSA did edit the music at some parts (especially when it plays that Japanese vocal song during the episoes) but I seriously doubt they'll go as crazy as 4Kids did.

Especially since it'll be airing on Cartoon Network, and hopefully Toonami, they won't have to worry about it being as super kid friendly as it had to be for KidsWB.

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
old guard truthseeker said:
No...I know there are going to be people who won't like *any* Ash other than Veronica.
Yes, indeed!!

And of course, one of those people would be me. Ash is very close to my heart (and I mean that in more ways than one), and so is his voice. That is why it's going to KILL me (not literally, but it will still be painful) to hear anyone other than Veronica perform his voice.

I mean, the new Ash VA from the Mirage special couldn't get Ash right, or his emotions, or anything. So until I see proof along with everyone else, there's no reason for me to believe that yet another new Ash would be better.

The Big Al said:
There's just one thing I can't understand, The Big Al.

And I wouldn't say this is you, maybe it's just a '4Kids haters' thing in general.

But, how could a company like 4Kids be 'evil' when they've done so much for the fans out there? By this I mean, putting an audio commentary on the First Movie DVD, the 3rd movie DVD, and putting one on the 4th movie DVD that also has the VAs on there as well!

I am sure that an evil company wouldn't go out of there way to do anything like that!

Then again, maybe you and other 4Kids haters are just so fed up with all these edits that it's all you think about when you hear the word 4Kids. And in a sense, it blinds you from all the good, positive things that 4Kids has done for Pokemon fans (like the movie commentaries).

Of course, that's just my opinion. I don't really know much about 4Kids haters, because I am not one myself (I'm the exact opposite, actually). So anyway, this is just what I think.

EDIT: Nevermind about my use of the word evil, I just now read your new post up there, The Big Al. Please forgive me for having used that word again. X_X

About Ash - the voice sounds VERY close to Veronica...VERY close.
Well, I haven't heard that new voice yet, so I wouldn't know if what you're saying is true or not, old guard truthseeker.

But, I know that even if the new Ash VA sounds VERY close to Veronica's Ash voice, they will never get there exactly.

Unfortunately for me (and maybe other fans as well), it will always make me sad when I hear Ash's voice in season 9, cause no matter how close it sounds to his original voice, it still won't sound like him. And if it doesn't sound like Ash, then it's not him. In my heart, it will never be him, and that is simply because technically it isn't him. A new voice actor, to me, means a new character and one who is completely different from the way they were before.

I'm sorry to rant again, but I must say this......

I've been watching Pokemon ever since it first started airing. And I've seen every dubbed episode MORE THAN 200-300 times each (except for Advanced Battle, which obviously hasn't had that many reruns yet). I watched the reruns every day, and I enjoyed them.

And in my opinion, I never wanted Ash or any of the other charcters, to get a new voice actor and ultimately have a new voice.

Having all new voices for the characters not only changes the way they act and their personalities, but it also changes the show as well. It changes it in such a way that it could never go back to the way everything was before. And that, again, was not something I ever wanted for Pokemon. I did not want the show to ever change, because it's my favorite show (seriously, it is) and it has always been. Nothing is going to change that fact. And I will not give up on SOVA either, even if people say it's impossible. If Pokemon has taught me anything throughout the anime and the movies, it's the fact that if you really work hard enough you can achieve any goal or dream that you have. And it's up to you to have enough courage and the determination to do just that.

And of course, along with most fans on here, I will watch the first two episodes of season 9, and then I will decide whether the voices suck badly like they did in the Mirage special or if they are tolerable to a certain extent and close enough to the originals (although, I HIGHLY doubt they will be that good, in my opinion).

I think part of the problem is taking the Japanese lip 'flap' and turning it into a credible English performance, when the original cadence and language is SO different. Very tricky, I think. All those who are successful deserve every praise.
Yes, this is true. And I agree with you every bit, old guard truthseeker.

In fact, what you just said was mentioned on the 4th movie commentary. So that is indeed a problem, or it can be sometimes.

I would only be guessing, but I think some are worried about Ash's voice walking the line between young (a bit feminine) and older (masculine). I just hope they're not over-worrying...There's an old saying that goes: A camel is a horse that was designed by a committee... you know?
Yeah, the reason that it's hard to get a VA for Ash is because his voice is a very hard one to do. Like you said, it's either way too high (feminine) or way too low (masculine).

Ash's voice done by Veronica is right in the middle. It's not too high (some people will argue this I know, but in my opinion Ash does NOT sound like a girl) and his voice is not too low (he doesn't sound older than Brock). So anyway, I think it would be very hard for anyone to do a voice like that, one that is in the middle between high and low.

And this is yet another thing I don't understand!!!!!!

Why would they even go through all this trouble in the first place to get another Ash VA? You see, this is one of the reasons why I believe that all of the main cast should return. Then they wouldn't have to go through all the trouble to find yet another Ash VA, because if all the original VAs were to retain their roles, Veronica Taylor would be more than happy to play Ash.

Trainer Rachel said:
Why? Because PUSA knows that many fans despise the 4Kids edits, and that's why PUSA decided to take over the dub in the first place.
Yeah, but what I don't understand is WHY Pokemon USA thought that all the fans actually wanted new voice actors...... :(

I mean, sure a while back there was a whole lot of 4Kids bashing going around. But, what people who work for Pokemon USA didn't know is that we - the fans in general - only wanted the editing gone. We didn't want to get rid of the voice actors!!

But, sadly, I guess when Pokemon USA saw all that 4Kids bashing on the forums (or however they found out), they immediately jumped to conclusions and assumed that the fans wanted to get rid of EVERYTHNG 4Kids, including the VAs.

Unfortunately for most of us, that is not how we felt at all.

I just wish Pokemon USA would've realized that before they went and made that license agreement. :(

And when you think about it, Colin from pokemon.com said it best. The fact that they only did this because "they thought it was what the fans wanted" is very sad. It's even sadder when you simplify that and say that they only did this because of us, the fans.

Last edited:

Shift

I'll learn you good!
MidnightScott said:
You realize that each episode has to be approved to be aired on Television - so anything that is not fitting their "TV-Y7" rating is removed in the first place.

~Scott;229;
Actually, it's been a TV-Y rating for quite awhile now, on Kids' WB, at least...

Trainer Rachel

Let's do it!
PokemonTrainerLisa said:
If Pokemon has taught me anything throughout the anime and the movies, it's the fact that if you really work hard enough you can achieve any goal or dream that you have. And it's up to you to have enough courage and the determination to do just that.
Awwww... that was beautiful ^_^

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
MidnightScott said:

~Scott;229;
Even if they didn't edit it, it would be only 90% the same as the current content we're getting, as it was already children friendly before it was dubbed, so it should fit the "TV-Y7" rating (the most should be "TV-Y"), and 4Kids/KidsWB should edit anything objectable to fit the standards for the KidsWB aired version (as if they have anything objectable to edit in the first place but they edit it anyway - but that's KidsWB for ya').

Last edited:
Satoshi said:
Even if they didn't edit it, it would be only 90% the same as the current content we're getting, as it was already children friendly before it was dubbed, so it should fit the "TV-Y7" rating (the most should be "TV-Y"), and 4Kids/KidsWB should edit anything objectable to fit the standards for the KidsWB aired version (as if they have anything objectable to edit in the first place but they edit it anyway - but that's KidsWB for ya').

I've heard horror stories about things the WB wanted changed, so I wouldn't blame 4 Kids 100%. There was an episode where Team Rocket was stuffing the things they had stolen into bags, and Jessie was stuffing things into her skirt. From what I was told it looked really funny, but the WB wouldn't have any of it, so they had to draw in a bag over Jessie's skirt so it would look like she was doing the same thing as James and Meowth! Also, there have been a few dicey moments where you could see up Officer Jenny's dress, and that all had to be cut. Just a couple of examples of silliness, although CN won't be quite as paranoid, I would think.

Drew.

→ kill the n o i s e
Satoshi said:

mmmm, alot of dubbing companies have to change certain things due to copyrights that Japan has over the certain series...
For instance...FUNimation had to change Detective Conan so much due to copyrights. Same with 4Kids and MewMew Power... I heard that Japanese was the one who came up with the title because they didn't want 4Kids calling it 'Tokyo Mew Mew'. Same goes for the character names for that series.... T-T and I'm thinking 'Why, Japan? Why?'

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
MidnightScott said:

Umm...Pokemon isn't dead yet, even though people have been saying so for years.

I've heard horror stories about things the WB wanted changed, so I wouldn't blame 4 Kids 100%. There was an episode where Team Rocket was stuffing the things they had stolen into bags, and Jessie was stuffing things into her skirt. From what I was told it looked really funny, but the WB wouldn't have any of it, so they had to draw in a bag over Jessie's skirt so it would look like she was doing the same thing as James and Meowth! Also, there have been a few dicey moments where you could see up Officer Jenny's dress, and that all had to be cut. Just a couple of examples of silliness, although CN won't be quite as paranoid, I would think.

Why would CN be paranoid? They have Adult Swim...

As for things the WB wanted changes for, I have also seen things in Pokemon that jusy slip right pass them. In one of the Orange Islands episodes, for example, the Prima character had revealing skirt and shorts which the WB didn't seem to object to. In a couple of Hoenn episodes, 4Kids slipped the word "God" right in.

Last edited:

PokemonTrainerLisa

Veronica Taylor fan
And also, you guys are also forgetting the FCC also has regulations on what can be shown on TV and what can't be shown.

So that would be the cause for some of the edits as well.

Of course, you already mentioned it, but KidsWB has done their own edits as well (I guess they must have really strict standards or something). One of their most famous edits is the Badge Case edit where, originally it has a Pokeball on it I think, but they make it into a thick red line for some odd reason. O_O

And also, in "A Cacturne For The Worse", over top of May's picture, Harley put a skull and crossbones there in the original Japanese version. But, KidsWB made him put a sad smiley face there instead.

Trainer Rachel said:
Awwww... that was beautiful ^_^
Thank you very much, Trainer Rachel. :)

And I meant every word of that too. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.