1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

New Dub Voice Discussion!

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Serebii, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wes

Wes Iblis Wings

And what about their other series they do handle besides Pokemon? They even affected a infamous video game series because of their ways! Sonic The Hedgehog ring a bell? As this is his 15th anniversary (2006 is a popular year for anniversary after anniversary it seems) I want the best for the infamous blue dude on his 15th anniversary to stay true to his roots and the fact his Original Voice actor was fired because of 4Kids intervering and not letting Ryan Drummond take his role as his character in the animated series only to be eventually fired from his role as Sonic from the games! Now I got nothing against Jason and co (4Kids Actors) but it would be fitting if the infamous hero got his original voice back along with the other characters (Except Eggman since Deem Bristow is dead and all...) since after all going back to his roots should at least some what true besides a fun gameplay experience for the fans!

Now for the Pokemon franchise on their 10th anniversary. Well I'll miss the original Voice Actors but.... I don't think they deserved it but 4Kids do. A hard slap in the face for them. You mess with one series in 2005 then next year they get a taste of their own interference by an outside company! As 4Kids did for Sega and Sonic Team I can say the same for PUSA and TAJ for 4Kids!

2. Hidden Mew

Hidden Mew Fog Trainer

As for the whole 4Kids thing, I don't think that they're that bad. Sure they edit stuff in certain anime but like Drew said, its due to some copyrights from Japan as well as making them more child friendly. I've never really minded their editing of Pokemon, but they're probably wasn't much editing going on most of the time since Pokemon already children friendly. As for PUSA's future with edits, we do not know if they're better or worse than 4Kids. It could be possible, even if they look around at these kinds of boards. Besides that, I really don't care about editing. I care about quality and based on that Mirage thing, PUSA doesn't really care about that since it was rushed through and had the worst voices that I've ever heard.

I agree with everything PokemonTrainerLisa said. It was so beautiful and it made me feel better that someone else here is still a part of SOVA besides me. I can't believe that PUSA would do this to the fans because they thought that what we wanted. I've seen a lot of bashing for 4Kids and all, but it never included that VAs much at all. You think if they're watching they would listen to us now too.

3. PokemonTrainerLisa

PokemonTrainerLisa Veronica Taylor fan

Wow, that sounds terrible, Wes!

Though, in my opinion, I actually like the VAs for Sonic X (those are the ones who now work on the games, right?).

But, anyway, I feel really bad for all the people who have played every Sonic game and then they go and change all the VAs like that. It's terrible!!

I guess it just goes to show that the whole VA situation can happen to any franchise, whether it's an anime series or a video game series.

That's a true, but sad fact. :(

EDIT: Now that I think about it, both video games and anime based on video games seem to be having bad luck now as far as keeping their beloved voice actors goes. I'm not sure what's going on here, but it's really weird and scary. O_O

Aww......

Thank you for agreeing with me, Hidden Mew!

And also, thanks for the nice compliments! ^^

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  4. Satoshi

Satoshi リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー

FUNimation only changed Detective Conan's name because they had legal issues of using the name Conan in the title (Conan the Barbarian), so FUNi asked the Japanese producers to create a new title for the dub to avoid these legal rights, so that's where the "Case Closed" title came from. Pokemon never needed to deal with legal rights like that. As for Tokyo Mew Mew...4Kids simply DID NOT want kids to know it was from Japan, even Al Kahn said it in one of his interviews.

5. Nathan Madien

Nathan Madien Me on a Good Day

That's because 1991 was such a great year for videogames. Speaking of Sonic's roots, Ryan Drummond wasn't Sonic's first voice actor. While we're on the topic, 4Kids also did the Kirby dub. At one point, they slapped a bunch of episodes together and tried to pass it off as a "movie". To add insult to injury, they also renamed certain characters which have been around the Hal universe for such a long time. I mean, if Nintendo used those names in the Kirby games, what's go difficult about using those names in the anime (simple names, too)?

6. Drew.

Drew. → kill the n o i s e

Yeah, I read that interview.
    Yet another reason is somewhat dislike Al Kahn.
    But did hear that Japan thought up the whole 'Mew Mew Power' title, and helped with the names.

4Kids lost on that one though, because in 2003 the manga was published by Tokyo Pop as 'Tokyo Mew Mew' and even the young 7-year-old fans know this..... oO Nice one 4Kids, nice one.

7. Nathan Madien

Yes, but as far as Mr. Kahn is concerned, kids don't read mangas. That's part of his reasoning for changing certain aspects of manga-based anime.

8. Wes

Wes Iblis Wings

In the game series! I don't count Urkel since he only did the non canon TV series back then for him! Ryan was his true first voice from Sonic Adventure!

Anyway back on topic for Pokemon.... look this is their 10th anniversary right? So in my opinion I think all the VA's sould get some respect and the position they upheld while at the sanme time giving the new VA' a chance. Basically I'm for the Old and New VA's (Sounds weird egh?). Basically give both sets a chance.

9. Nathan Madien

So what are you suggesting? That PUSA and 4Kids dub the same episodes for their fans?

10. Wes

Wes Iblis Wings

Well this is what i'm thinking. When I mean give both sets a chance I think they should do a test... but not a test like the special... I mean some actual tests we can compare with. Let the 4Kids and PUSA cast dub oh I don't know.. a specified number of episodes so we can compare and contrast them to see and let the fans decide who is overall best to the series on each character.

PS-Harley's Japanese VA is very much lucky to be in the canon cast. If you know what I mean.

Three words then.

"Coincidence and Karma"

11. Nathan Madien

I don't think that would work very well. The fans love the 4Kids cast (even if they don't like the 4Kids edits) and would automatically choose them over a PUSA cast (no matter how hard they try to do a good dub).

12. maddiejoan

maddiejoan Rising Trainer

whatever, Carter.

13. Trainer Rachel

Trainer Rachel Let's do it!

Really? Which episodes? And was it in a cursing way, or just saying the name God?

Dude.. o_O

Is OGT Carter Cathcart?? 'Cuz I sure know who he is... but I've been under the impression that OGT was in fact not Carter (I won't go into the details - long(ish) story).

*ehem* OGT... ?

14. Shift

Shift I'll learn you good!

Actually, it did, didn't it? It's known as Pocket Monsters in Japan, but they couldn't use that name in the US since another company were making toy brand called "A Monster in my Pocket", or something like that. Anyway, they had to shorten it to Pokemon for legal reasons, after all.
    I saw him credited as the voice director in the special, and he also voices Vector the Crocodile in Sonic X and the games (under 4Kids), but could it really be OGT's true identity?

15. Satoshi

Satoshi リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー

It was just saying the word "god". In the episode "Whiscash and Ash", Sullivan referred himself as the "fishing god". Funny thing is, in the first movie, they didn't allow the word to even be said by the trainer who challenged Ash in the beginning ("Oh my god!" turned into "Oh no!!!!", and he was saying it in English in the Japanese version too, which is a more minor religously compared to how "God" is used throughout the movie).
    Maybe (it's debatable), but I was referring to legal rights that would cause an edit. And the word Pokemon is used in Japan, even more so than Pocket Monsters, which is mostly only used for titles and "The World of Pokemon" openings. o_O If the "A Monster in My Pocket" theory is true, then they most likely used it to avoid that, but either way Pokemon is an abreviation of Pocket Monsters, so it's pratically the same really.
    So old guard truthseeker is really Carter Cathcart? o_O Please give us an answer, Maddie.

16. SOS! Its Not Healthy..

SOS! Its Not Healthy.. He Say Whaaa...

wow, it is Carter Cathcart? I did a quick check on him, and wow, would never guessed, unless if its true...

Jesus lord, read the 9 pages since I last posted, and wow nothin but flame wars. Thats good to hear that Ash's voice actor was replaced, but I'm slightly concerned that the new Ash is trying to do similiar to Veronica's voicing, but no matter what, I don't think any voice actor will copy Veronica's work. Its just nearly impossible. And PokemonTrainerLisa, I like how you poured your heart about your post, it actually got to me.

17. Harold the Wonder Dog

Harold the Wonder Dog Thunder Trainer

Wow. And that reaction is not because that names means something to me as it apparently does to the some of the other posters after you said that, but just wow in regards to someone with your personal background resorting to general concept and tactic of outing someone in any way, shape, or form.

18. Trainer Rachel

I personally love how that dude in the first movie yelled "Oh no!!!" It makes me crack up, and I even quote him sometimes XP And since I'm a Christian, it really didn't bother me that that line wasn't directly translated... ehem.

But yeah, it is weird how they didn't mention God at all in the first movie, but now they use it in ways like you said. I guess because in the episodes it's not refering directly to the God, but a god. You know.

On a side note, I bet if they'd included God in the first movie like how it is in the Japanese version, it would've cleared a lot of things up with the religious people who think Pokemon's evil.

BUT ANYWAY... for some reason I don't think OGT is gonna post here anymore... well, okay, he probably will just because I posted this XP Anyways, I didn't know he did Vector's voice. I like Vector's voice, so that's cool.

And to Harold: Why the name means something to me is because I've gotten an email from someone claiming to be Carter, while also claiming to be good friends with OGT, indicating they were not the same person. So I'm confused now.

19. Shift

Shift I'll learn you good!

My sentiments exactly. I think that explantion is right; they say it when it has more to do with mythology than with religion.

Yeah, I like Vector's voice, too, even though a lot of people have complained it sounds too much like Kermit. But whether he's really OGT or not, I wonder how his relation to 4Kids is now, what with him having worked on the special and the contract clause and all? Will he no longer voice Vector, or what?

20. Trainer Rachel

That's actually a good point. Carter has been an adaptor for the Pokemon dub for several years, but apparently it would seem he left 4Kids to keep working on Pokemon. But wait... didn't he say that the contract doesn't prevent you from working with 4Kids and Pokemon, you just wouldn't be able to be hired for any future 4Kids dubs, right? Or was that Maddie who said that? Anyway, I think he'll still be voicing Vector, but I'm not sure...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.