• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New FireRed Team

Medieva lTrainer

Ive been playing the game a lot recently again so i started a new profile. So far, Ive beaten 3 gyms and am using a lvl 33 Venusaur and a lvl 31 Clefable. Its time for me to get pokemon to learn fly and start thinking about a water type. I'm also trying to figure out a good rock type, and I almost never use them, so Im virtually clueless with them right now. Any ideas? I dont want to use a pideot or lapras though, i use those to often.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Hello again. Sorry about the wait. Venusaur and Clefable are nice choices. To make your team tick, have a look at this thread. I show how you can model your team nicely to complement each other.

Since your playing FireRed, I can't recommend Starmie, one of the best Water types in Kanto. You can give Gyarados or Golduck a try. I have used Gyarados before but not Golduck.

Gyarados
-Surf
-Earthquake
-Thunderbolt
-Return/Ice Beam

A nice Gyarados set. Surf lets you move around, Earthquake gives you an edge on Electric types that Gyarados is weak to and Thunderbolt lets you hit other Water types and other Gyarados for super effective damage. I don't think you do encounter many Gyarados in-game but it always helps to have an advantage over them. The last option is up to you. Return plays off Gyarados's massive attack, and has good coverage with Surf. Ice Beam also has nice coverage with Earthquake and Thunderbolt, and lets you take on Lance's Dragon types come the Elite Four. Gyarados's Special Attack is a little low though, but I reckon that you'd be fine to you Physical and Special attacks.

Golduck
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Brick Break
-Body Slam

This is also a nice little set, though it doesn't cover as many types as Gyarados's. The thing is, Golduck's Special Attack is much better than Gyarados's so it can use Surf and Ice Beam more effectively. Brick Break is good for a hit on Ice types you will meet against Lorelei, and Body Slam is good for the Paralysis chance and synergy with Surf. I think you get body Slam by talking to one of the fat dudes in Fuchsia City, next to the Safari Zone's Warden's house.

Now for a Flying type. There's a couple of choices for you, excluding Pidgeot. There is Fearow, Dodrio and Aerodactyl. I don't really like Fearow, but Dodrio has nice attack and speed and Aerodactyl.

Fearow
-Drill Peck
-Return
-Steel Wing
-Fly

I almost forgot about Fly. You can forgo Drill Peck if you want and replace it with something like Toxic or Mirror Move, but there aren't too many alternatives in Fearow's repertoire. Anyway, either Flying move and Return get STAB, and Steel Wing is for Rock types

Dodrio
-Fly
-Drill Peck
-Steel Wing
-Tri-Attack/Return

Notice anything? Yup, their movepools are pretty similar. Dodrio can learn Tri-Attack more readily though, which is nice. Return is 25% stronger, but you can't get a random status effect happening though. The other moves are the same as above.

Aerodactyl
-Fly
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Ancient Power
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Double Edge

This guy is a powerhouse. Fly is standard. Earthquake maybe tricky if you've already used it on Gyarados, so you might have to make a sacrifice depending on who you want to have it, should you choose Gyarados. Rock Slide is stronger than Ancient Power, and make the opponent Flinch; however Ancient Power has 100% accuracy and has a 10% chance of raising all of your stats. It only has 5 PP and is much weaker too, so keep that in mind. The last slot is up to you. Fire Blast and Flamethrower are pretty gimmicky, but who doesn't love a fire-breathing carnivorous Fossil Pokemon? Double Edge is more viable, but only if you have Rock Head as your ability. You can find the tutor for it in Victory Road. Rock Slide's tutor is in Rock Tunnel.

Another good Rock type is Golem.

Golem
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide/Rock Blast
-Explosion
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Everything is pretty standard here. Rock Blast can be just as strong as Rock Slide, but only if you get 3 hits at least. I usually get 2-4 hits, so it's up to you. Explosion is a suicide move, and is deadly powerful. The last slot is for hitting Grass types I suppose. I prefer Fire Blast, since the power increase is greater than the accuracy loss compared to Flamethrower. If you don't want a Golem with Special Attacks, Double Edge (with Rock Head) or Brick Break are usable alternatives.

Hope this has helped you. Reply back if you have any more questions.

Medieva lTrainer

Cool Thanks. I think this actually helped make a decision. I was thinking about Golem, but you have to trade to get one, which i dont have the ability to do. But when i think of it, Aerodactyl is Rock/Flying, right? So That'd fill in for Rock. As far as Water, I actually forgot about Golduck. I've used one, but I've always wanted to. Thanks!

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Cool Thanks. I think this actually helped make a decision. I was thinking about Golem, but you have to trade to get one, which i dont have the ability to do. But when i think of it, Aerodactyl is Rock/Flying, right? So That'd fill in for Rock. As far as Water, I actually forgot about Golduck. I've used one, but I've always wanted to. Thanks!

No worries. I forgot about the need to trade for Golem. Aerodactyl is nice since it can cover your Rock and Flying needs.

Medieva lTrainer

Yes it is. But i got really turned around yesterday. I looked for hours upon hours as if i had no life looking for a Psyduck and i could not find one. But i stumbled upon a nice Horsea that had made its way into my team. I also replaced that psychic attribute i was looking for in Golduck by getting a Gastly and man, its Special Atk is so high. getting the move Psychic from the guy an Saffron and giving it to Gastly makes it so powerful. Its good to get your opinion, thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Yes it is. But i got really turned around yesterday. I looked for hours upon hours as if i had no life looking for a Psyduck and i could not find one. But i stumbled upon a nice Horsea that had made its way into my team. I also replaced that psychic attribute i was looking for in Golduck by getting a Gastly and man, its Special Atk is so high. getting the move Psychic from the guy an Saffron and giving it to Gastly makes it so powerful. Its good to get your opinion, thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Sweet as. The Horsea line didn't even cross my mind. And Gastly is a great choice. Even if you only get up to Haunter, it's still a powerhouse.