• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Forum Upgrade

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I'm fine with square or round avatars really. Doesn't bother me.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Lol I can see the ratings getting disabled eventually. Remember the return of reputation years ago? That didn't last long because of how it got abused. Although I've noticed only six reactions show up for me compared to this:

That by design, or what? Had no plans on using them, personally, I'm just curious if certain ratings are locked out.

We just have the default ones right now, we can add as many as we'd like but that would come later.

G-SANtos

One thing that hasn't been brought up, is that links now like plain text in Default Style. HERE is a link.

This is important to me because I recently (before the upgrade) made a big theory post with lots of links (https://forums.serebii.net/posts/19080670/ ) that I even tweeted about, and outsiders are unlikely to notice the problem or even think of switching style to be able to see links.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
There are too few options imo for reaction emojis. In addition to the options already provided, could we also get "thumbs down" (for posts we dislike) and an eyeroll emoji (for posts we find to be silly or ridiculous)?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Both the :rolleyes: and thumbs down options could run into the issue of being abused. So I err on the side of caution with those two.

jaden767

Amphetamine
There are too few options imo for reaction emojis. In addition to the options already provided, could we also get "thumbs down" (for posts we dislike) and an eyeroll emoji (for posts we find to be silly or ridiculous)?

Nah that would cause a lot of problems kind of like when reputation came back a few years ago and people abused the hell out of it. If you don't agree with someone's post just reply to them and explain why you don't agree with them instead of thumbing them down. That's better for discussions any ways.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
One thing that hasn't been brought up, is that links now like plain text in Default Style. HERE is a link.

This is important to me because I recently (before the upgrade) made a big theory post with lots of links (https://forums.serebii.net/posts/19080670/ ) that I even tweeted about, and outsiders are unlikely to notice the problem or even think of switching style to be able to see links.

Oh wow, that's actually an issue. Not like it already wasn't previously, hyperlinks were just a slightly different shade of grey previously, but that's terrible. Good find.

dman_dustin

More reactions would be good to convey better feelings on a post.

I can understand people may have their opinions on reactions and them being abused but I personally don't care if I get a million negative reactions. What I wouldn't like is people being forced to use a certain negative reaction because a proper one wasn't available because that doesn't exactly help me understand what they are saying.

Because this (last I saw) :confused: was sad. But that wouldn't be the reaction I'd want if I said someone passed away for example. A more sad looking "emoji" or even a heartbreak emoji would fit better. More than an emoji that looks like mild dislike of what's going on in the post.

Edit: A what or mindblown reaction could work as well for comic relief purposes. Bulbagarden uses a whaat Lapras reaction that's hilarious to me but that's just my opinion.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
It would be great to keep members online in order to spot spam bots. Is there any way to just collapse it some how for those who don't want it around?

Manchee

extra toasty
It would be great to keep members online in order to spot spam bots. Is there any way to just collapse it some how for those who don't want it around?

You could just view it from the "Members" tab on the top header. I don't think many users besides mods are using the current members online to look for spam bots...

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
You could just view it from the "Members" tab on the top header. I don't think many users besides mods are using the current members online to look for spam bots...
Yea that helps. But sometimes they slip through, meaning older spam bots. So members online comes in handy there.

Found another way to view it via drop down menu. So if the other thing is removed, it's ok.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
My, this layout change is going to take some getting used to. I count myself in the same boat that others mentioned before that i'm not too big on the circle Avatar windows. But I guess that's just me, as i'm just so used to them being square!

But one more gripe I would like to mention: It looks like we're unable to Copy-Paste images that already exist into the text boxes. As a friend of mine mentioned, having to use the insert image button every time is a drag, it was easier to post them before, what in the system changed that made it impossible now?

If at all possible, it would be really great to be able to at least have a bigger selection of smilies. And, while I know it would be alot of work, perhaps the pokemon sprites can be installed as smilies as well? I used to love using the spites as smilies and i'd be over the moon if those were made available again...

Flashyspark

Bulbagarden uses a whaat Lapras reaction that's hilarious to me but that's just my opinion.

You mean the one with the bulging eyes? That reaction is extremely condescending and most people use it to express contempt or annoyance when someone says something they don't agree with. It's basically a pseudo angry face reaction and that kind of negativity shouldn't be welcomed.

dman_dustin

You mean the one with the bulging eyes? That reaction is extremely condescending and most people use it to express contempt or annoyance when someone says something they don't agree with. It's basically a pseudo angry face reaction and that kind of negativity shouldn't be welcomed.

That's the wrong interpretation of that reaction if I ever heard one in my opinion. Like this :rolleyes: would convey more of what you are describing. Plus bulbagarden has very little reactions and weird ones at that so it's not too surprising some would have their meanings morph. On top of that without responding/replying how does one assume the meaning behind the reaction? If I said "Pikachu is yellow" and someone reacted with :mad: all that's going to do is confuse me, if the person responds with "Obviously, are you colorblind?" then I could associate that reaction with "People think I'm disabled/dumb" but by itself?

At worst the only negative perception of that reaction is "I'm sorry what stupid or baffling thing did you say now? Did I read what you said right?"

Like if someone said "I ate a whole jar of mayonnaise with a spoon that I fished out of a sewer" that might be an appropriate for the "whaaaat!!!" reaction. Or "Pikachu evolves into Zekrom" would also apply.

I can't imagine this "contempt or annoyance" makng any sense especially since :(:mad: these are reactions already.

Sure maybe people find it condescending and too negative but I personally would take that over any other negative reactions. At least because I get to see a hilarious "whaaaat" face, to me its just a funny reaction that's hilarious in most contexts, obviously not for every comnent but outside of infractions/bans nothing is stopping the laughing reaction from being used inappropriately. The point is any reaction would be inappropriate given a certain context. I don't think the solution is to "avoid it?" or whatever is being suggested.

But as I said we all have our opinions on reactions, this just mine, people have theirs. Plus I'm sure there are more mild emojis that work just as well it doesn't need to be the exact emoji for the reaction.

Sorry if my thoughts are jumbled, I'm doing this on a tablet which is hard to format differently if I posted a lot already.

Why a Lapras, though.

I think it was a meme that transformed into an emoji. Its like the Pikachu face meme but more exaggerated.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Click the date, not the thread title. It brings you right to the end. Alternatively, click the "Jump to new" button right at the top to go to new posts since you last viewed the thread. Regardless, these specific issues have nothing to do with the forum upgrade. We haven't lost any functionality as far as this kind of thing goes, and it's an issue with forum software in general.

As far as Googling goes, there's really not much we could do there besides start deleting a ton of stuff. We have a lot of content, a downside is it becomes more difficult to scroll to certain things. If there are threads you frequent, then you should make use of the bookmarking features of the forum, or just bookmark it in your browser itself.

Hi! I've tried it for a week now. It's still impractical if the only place you can 'go backwards in a thread' is down at the bottom of a page (on mobile).

Considering that obviously there's a loss of functionality there, I don't get what you're trying to say here. Old forums: We can go backwards at the top of the page. New forums: Scroll down to the bottom of the page before you can select a page number. How is this not a loss in functionality? How does the forum upgrade have nothing to do with this?

"Jump to new" also doesn't function as it should. I refresh the page (to make sure I'm up-to-date) and click Jump to New. It jumps to the bottom of the page and there it says: 1114 of 1116. Shouldn't it have brought me all the way up to page 1116?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
"Jump to new" also doesn't function as it should. I refresh the page (to make sure I'm up-to-date) and click Jump to New. It jumps to the bottom of the page and there it says: 1114 of 1116. Shouldn't it have brought me all the way up to page 1116?
No, jump to new jumps to the first unread post in the thread, not to the end.