• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Game [One-shot, G]

M-Dub

Μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω ᾿Αχιλῆος
This oneshot started from Alakazam's first line, which in turn was inspired by something I heard on the radio. I don't know what the context was - I only caught three words: 'letters and numbers'. This is just a short piece, but I feel it serves its purpose.

Huh, I've been writing a lot of Pokemon POV stuff lately.

New Game

WARNING! There is a different game file that is already saved. If you save now, the other file's adventure, including items and Pokemon, will be entirely lost. Are you sure you want to save now and overwrite the other save file?

YES <<
NO

Alakazam

Letters and numbers . . . is that all we are to you, Trainer?

Don't you remember that time we beat Misty? Charizard – even though he was only a Charmeleon then; even though he had a crippling type disadvantage – fought tooth and claw to secure victory for you. He fought like one possessed, and all so you could have that Cascade Badge you coveted so.

I had just joined the team, and I remember sitting quietly in my Poké Ball and watching . . . observing. You were so excited, so full of life, that it made me tremble with joy just to be with you. Your enthusiasm was electric and contagious, and we, even at that early stage of our journey, loved you for it. There were only four of us then, and we prided ourselves on being the originals, the ones that stayed with you no matter where you went. If you had told us to leave you, we would have refused. If you had told us to die for you, we would have done it without a second thought.

The day you traded me away . . . it nearly broke me, Trainer. I didn't realise why you were doing it at the time, and we laughed about it together afterwards, but at the time, I was scared. Not scared of new things, new possibilities, like you might imagine, but scared of stepping out of range of your light.

You shone for us, Trainer, and we did our best to shine for you, too. We wanted so dearly to make you proud. So why . . . why would you leave us?

You caught me on Route 25. My mind retains all information, but even if I was able to, I would never forget that day. I was shy then, fleeing from any sign of trouble. Why, then, did I remain long enough to be captured? I think . . . to this day, I hold true to the belief that it was your smile. As you came along with your Poké Balls strapped to your waist, you looked so blissfully happy that I had to investigate further.

Even to the end of our journey, your smile made us strong, Trainer. Even my mind cannot comprehend how this is so, but that single expression of yours always filled me with strength I did not even know I had.

Gengar

Oi! What the hell do you think you're doing? Don't just go ahead and leave us alone like that, you tosser!

Jeez . . . what gives you the right to stick us away like that? I stuck with you the whole damn time, and this is the thanks I get? Che! I didn't have to fight for you, Trainer. I did it because I felt like it. We all did. Those other sods are just too nice to say it. Useless buggers, the lot of them. And this is how you pay us back? Gah.

I guess . . . I guess I'd miss you if you left. Only a little bit, mind! Don't get the wrong idea.

Hmph. I've got nothing else to say to you!

Rhydon

Hey, um, Trainer. I dunno wha's goin' on 'ere, but da guys're talkin'. Sayin' ya've left us behind. Whassat mean?

I been wit ya fer so long, y'know. When was it? Yeah, i' was dat place – dat, um . . . Safari Zone, was it? Ya got me good there, 'n it was a good ol' long time afore I wuz ready to hang wit ya. I di'n like ya at first, but ya had summat in ya . . . summat special.

What'd make ya wanna leave us be'ind? We's ya good buddies, right? I di'n mess up nuttin', did I? I kin smash s'more rocks fer ya, if'n ya like? Didn'I smash rocks good 'nuff for ya? I'm right sorry, if'n tha's what it was, Trainer. I mean it. Don' leave us.

I'unno what I'd do if'n ya left, Trainer. I don' unnerstand why ya'd go, but . . . please, Trainer. Stay wit us fer a bit longer. I'll smash some rocks, jus' for you, all special, like. Please?

Butterfree

I-it's not my fault, is it? Oh, no, please don't let it be my fault! I know I was never as strong as the others, b-but I always tried my hardest for you! I promise, I did!

They were always so wonderful and strong, the rest of the team. For some reason, you kept me, and . . . f-for that . . . I'm so grateful. I nuh-n-never knew why you let me stay, Trainer. I couldn't learn any HMs to help you, but I did my b-best anyway!

I was so happy when you caught me. I w-was just a l-little Caterpie back then, and I was so . . . so weak. I needed someone t-to look after me, to give me that love and nurture I needed to become stronger. Y-you . . . were that someone. You were that someone to a T.

P-perhaps I was never that strong. I was always the f-first to go down in a fight, but you . . . you let me keep fighting. It was like . . . like you recognised how m-much I needed to fight for you. And I did, Trainer. I felt an enormous debt towards you for making me what I was, and . . . and . . . I felt obliged to pay you back.

I f-fought with you so many times, Trainer. I won some, I lost some . . . did I lose too many, Trainer? I-I'm sorry! Please don't leave us because of m-m-me! I c-couldn't stand that.

Pidgeot

Hey, Trainer. It's been a little while, hasn't it?

. . .

Perhaps you should think this through? Why would you cast us aside like this if we really mean as much to you as you used to say?

. . .

You used to tell us that all the time, you know. Every day, you would tell us how much you loved us. It buoyed us up and made us love you back all the more.

. . .

If you ever need me to fly you anywhere again, Trainer, just say the word. I'm always going to be here for you. Just like you were always there for us.

. . .

Don't go, Trainer. You and I, we've been through so much – we all have. Why would you leave us? You're all we ever had. Without you, we are nothing.

. . .

I'll wait for you, Trainer. Forever, if need be.

Charizard

Well, it looks like this is it, Trainer.

I guess . . . no, this is hard. I . . . I don't . . . no. No, that's wrong, too. What I mean to say is . . . I think I understand, Trainer. You want new adventures. We're old, and we've had our fun. We went through a lot together, but in the end, you're always going to keep moving. You'll grow up, and keep growing, and I know that. I think I saw it coming right from the beginning, but . . . I can't pretend it doesn't hurt.

Of course I still remember the day we started . . . it was the second of October, 2004. You were so young, so fresh, so full of life. I think . . . I think I loved you from the moment I saw you, Trainer. When you picked me up off that table, I made my choice: I would stay with you forever, if you needed me to.

Well, I guess you didn't need me forever. In the back of my mind, I've been waiting for this day for more than six years, but . . . it doesn't make it any easier. We had so many good times together – you and I, as well as the rest of your Pokémon. We were an inseperable, unbreakable team. That's what I thought.

The Japanese have a word for that, I think. What was it again? Nakama. It means friends, but friends who are like family. No, more than that. Friends who are closer than family. Friends who would do anything, give anything, go anywhere for each other. You always put yourself on the line for us, and we were willing to do that for you too.

You had us, Trainer. Why would you ever need anyone else? That's . . . that's what I don't understand. I know you'll always want new adventures, but . . . is there any reason we can't have them together?

I liked to think I had a special bond with you, Trainer, being your first partner, the one who had been with you the longest – but I was just deluding myself. You loved us all equally. You were our lighthouse, the beacon of strength that kept us safe and guided us to where we were going. You were the rock that we leant on for support when we needed it, and in exchange we were always there when you needed us. We fought for you, Trainer. We gave everything.

And now . . . now you say you're going to leave us behind? Again, I can't pretend I never saw this day coming, but I was hoping desperately that it wouldn't happen – especially not so soon. Where are your nakama now, Trainer!? What did we do to deserve being abandoned? Why . . . why would you leave us like that? It's not . . . it's not fair. It's not fair, and it's not right. You know that, Trainer, but you're going to do it anyway, aren't you? How . . . how could you?

. . .

I can never hate you, Trainer. Never. I'm angry, but I will never hate you. Go on, leave if you must. I can't stop you, no matter how much I might want to.

Alakazam

It still does not seem right. Letters and numbers . . . perhaps that is all we are after all, but it does not make this parting any less bitter.

Farewell, Trainer. Even if you forget us, know that we never forgot you. Always, we held you in our hearts.

Deleting...

Last edited:

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Sniff...

That was sad, beautiful, and reminiscent of Toy Story 3. The only Grammar errors I can see I'm pretty sure are intentional.

It might be a while before I get the nerve to delete my HeartGold file. Good job, Dragon user, good job.

RoflLuxRay

Pokemon Physiologist
Moving... Really moving... I figure you wrote this when you did just that, started a new game.

I'm the kind of guy that gets attached to anything, and my pokemon are one of them, and I swear to god I'm with a knot in my throat right now. And I think sometimes we really underestimate the value of a a simple game, and the small creatures contained in them. I've had games running since I'm like 13 or 14, back when O'l Ruby came out... And those guys have made it all the way to my games now, even though I didn't knew anything about I'V's and EV's, I still have them in my team. There's something in them.

I didn't expected to see something like this around here, I'm no grammar genious, and I will not go through that. I agree with chanseychansey77, it has the feel of toy story 3.

Kudos to you, Dragon user X, really good job

Becoming

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐
*tear*

This was quite . . . touching. And very well written. As far as I can see, there aren't any grammar errors. I enjoyed how you handled the Pokemon's personalities. You made good use of Pokemon POV. Butterfree was exactly how I imagined a Butterfree would be. Gengar was funny. I quite liked how insightful Alakazam was.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
Oh man... You are awesome. Just saying.

Mannnn. I feel so bad now. I just erased my game. And I've been erasing my games, to do the whole new adventure thing. After reading this, I don't know if I could ever do it again.

Very good story. I really liked it. It touched me (man I sound like a nerd. But Pokemon's special, I allow the nerd to come out for Pokemon). I really really liked it. The personality shifts were really cool too.

Good job! Hopefully you keep writing awesome stories like this in the future!

BTW, do you mind if I put a link to this story in my fic? I just think it would be a good read for the people who have lost the essence of Pokemon. Alakazam's right; so many people treat Pokemon as just numbers.

Last edited:

M-Dub

Μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω ᾿Αχιλῆος
Thanks, guys - I do believe that I've evoked the response that I was looking for, so thanks for helping me experiment with that. I'm glad you liked it~.

Sure, Nachoe, I guess you could link to it. It'd be fine because you're not reposting it or anything, so as long as it links back here it should be a-ok. I'm fine with that.

Damn that was powerful.

First:

He fought like one possessed, and all so you could have that Cascade Badge you coveted so.

The wording here confused me. I feel like there's a word or two missing.

This was really good in conveying emotions, Dragon user. You gave all six Pokemon fitting personalities, even adding the nice touch of giving the starter the most emotionally daunting one. I also like how the Pidgeot channels Ash's Pidgeot in the anime. Heh.

My only qualm with this is why Alakazam speaks the lines in the end. It would make much more sense if he only spoke the second to the last line, then the last line would be given to Charizard. Well, at least, it made much more sense in my head, but that's your decision anyway. :p

Really good job with this one. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
This makes me never want to restart a game ever again.

----------------------

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Pokemon's one of those games that isn't just about the plot or the game play. You heard it time and time again in B/W... how the world is full of people with different ideals... I'm getting off topic here.

That... was amazing. It's not often that I read something that hits with the emotional force that your work did. We never hear the Pokemon talk, but that sounded dead-on to me.

Keep up the good work!

FieryLucario

Just a Person
So sad, yet so good ( I thought I was going to start crying on Alakazam's part )

Firebrand

Indomitable
This was so amazing... I feel the same way about deleting my files. I remember restarting emerald a little while ago, and it was... a lot like this.

Psychic

Really and truly
That really was a wonderful read. Unlike some of your other readers, I wasn't in tears at the end of it, but it made me think, and I like a good fic that does that. I love that you gave a voice to the unsung heroes of our games, creatures we trained for hours on end and who we came to love, but still remained just pieces of data.

You did a great job giving each Pokemon a unique voice (and accent, haha, although Rhydon's was a bit hard to read at times) and a unique reaction to the situation,which fit very well each time (although I'm still not sure I liked Rhydon, actually). I liked Butterfree's the most, the cute innocence and the blaming itself really fit, especially along with it acknowledging how it's not that strong. Gengar's was also short and sweet, which worked perfectly.

I think you could have made Charizard's part a bit stronger, still. I think a bit less emphasis on the whole "trainer being a ballast" and more "I've been with you since the beginning, you chose me" might have had more of an effect on me. I was ready for either Charizard or Alakazam to have the final words. It might have been more touching with Charizard, but I didn't mind the cool, calculating Alakazam being the one. Though it was a bit strange to see it get so sentimental in the last sentence. Maybe a different line would work better.

Either way, overall great job, and a nice read for anyone who's ever played through a Pokemon game.

~Psychic

flameswy

Lord of Light
That was so beautiful.

You are amazingly good at that.

I am in awe...

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Good, very good. This is exactly why I can and never will delete any of my Pokemon saves, I'm just too attached to them. Probably when I get old enough and go to university I'll bring my DS, White, Pearl and transfer my Colosseum pokemon over and keep them with me for the rest of my life. Especially White since that's the first full team I've used for the majority of the game and have grown super-attached to.

Soberheartless

:( That was just elegant and awesome in every way. You are very talented. Loved butterfree the most, especially me training one and releasing one because it never kept up with the rest of my team, now i feel bad. But....butterfree does take awfully long to level up, just saying.

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
...Damning story...

This story made me think about my Diamond & HG. Diamond: I lost it once, I lost it again, but the second time, I lost it to myself. HG: I never wanted to try it, but AR can be a b****...

...Just so damning...

Grei

not the color
Oh my God. I began tearing up at Rhydon's entry.

This, in particular, really tugged the heartstrings.

I kin smash s'more rocks fer ya, if'n ya like? Didn'I smash rocks good 'nuff for ya? I'm right sorry, if'n tha's what it was, Trainer. I mean it. Don' leave us.

I'unno what I'd do if'n ya left, Trainer. I don' unnerstand why ya'd go, but . . . please, Trainer. Stay wit us fer a bit longer. I'll smash some rocks, jus' for you, all special, like. Please?

This was so incredibly sad. I never want to start over a save file again... even if the Pokemon we use in the games are simply data, many of us still connect with them and put emotions into them while we play the games. So it's a bit like abandoning old friends when we start over a new file, even if what we're erasing is just letters and numbers.