• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinne

Have to agree with the concept of fusion. Leave that to the Digimon... It's a neat idea, but at this point Mega-evolutions are too few and far between to justify another transformation mechanic(and I'm not a huge fan of mega-evolution in the first place). However, considering the evidence seen so far(i.e. the Japanese logos and manga), it's kinda compelling. If you look at the Japanese logos for the past two games, that same part of the character represents something important to the game - Mega Evolution and the Primal Orbs.
6f0a52f395f011bb85b57cb0c333a318.png

XandYLogo.jpg

I wasn't overly keen on mega-evolutions either. I loved the designs, but I found the mechanics a bit messy. As for fusion, I'm really hoping that isn't incorporated into the games. On the bright side, I don't really see how it would work? Would the trainer/pokemon fusion jump into the battle? If customisation returns (and please let it return), how would that effect what the pokemon would look like? I'm just hoping that it's way too much work to add something creepy like that.

I would like to see more pokemon with signature moves and items that boost NFE pokemon.

For example:
Exploud has stab Boomburst. The move does not have to be exclusive to the pokemon but you get my point. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee are other examples.

And I want to see Electrode with an ability which gives him his Selfdestruct/Explosion signature move back. Maybe something in the line of an electric Refrigerate/Pixelate that would give him STAB and a boost. And maybe his stats could use a boost too.

Next I would like to see more items like the evolution stone and hopefully integrate the Everstone into those stones.

Rhinne

Just a quick thought, but it would be really cool if they added a tiny bit of pokemon snap into the game? They know how much people loved that game, so it would be cool if you could take 'photos' of your pokemon in the Pokemon Amie minigame or something. They addded the photography guy into XY, and it's got me hopeful that we'll see more stuff like that in the future.
Since they've been trying to break into social media a bit more lately, something like this would really help.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
If Fusion was actually incorporated how would people like it to work?
I'm thinking along the lines of only activating if your Pokemon is below a certain health, and it gains say a +2 to all stats? Only lasts a few turns.. Obviously wouldn't be usable online..

I'm really not sure to be honest, hoping it isn't in the games right now.

eworm

Trainer Skills.

You know how the Pokémon games are all about the Pokémon growing up, becoming stronger and better? Why doesn't the trainer do the same?

Imagine us, the trainer, influencing the battles with our own "Abilities". Trainer Skills would affect all our Pokémon, but unlike Pokémon Abilities, we could choose our Skill - only one, that's the key - from the list of available ones. And we would gradually unlock more options by playing the game, some type-related ones could even be tied to the Badges and the best ones could be an incentive to compete in Battle Frontier facilities (or Maison or future equivalents).

Here are some examples of possible Skills to give You an idea:

Safe Entry: This trainer's Pokémon aren't affected by traps on the field. Meaning no more Stealth Rock and Sticky Web.

Enthusiastic: This trainer's Pokémon wake up faster when put to sleep. Meaning Early Bird for everyone, suck it, Dark Void.

Unyielding: This trainer's Pokémon receive less (-20%) damage from enemy attacks, but receive a cut (-20%) in Speed. Good for Trick Room teams for example.

Fast Dodge: This trainer's Pokémon are skilled at evading priority moves (I'm thinking 50% chance).

Venomous: This trainer's Pokémon always inflict bad poison instead of regular one, be it as a result of moves or Abilities (like Poison Touch or Poison Point). Could be a reward for beating a Poison-type Gym, for example.

True-Grit: This trainer's Rock-type Pokémon cannot be OHKO'd. Basically all Rock-types get a bonus Sturdy.

Unarmed: This trainer's Pokémon are faster (~20%) when they don't hold items or if they use/lose them. Unburden for all, except with a much lower boost that lasts through the match and can apply to Pokémon with no items from the start.

and many many more!

Something like this would be a great improvement toward the essential RPG element - character's development - as well as a perfect way to perhaps fix some problems people have - like the complaints about Stealth Rock - without necessarily changing the game's mechanics. It would pretty much be team customization, how cool is that? Even more cool would be to see the trainer themselves influence the battles (by making a team that's even more "their own") and improve over time. And again, making some of the Skills rewards for completing various challenges would be a sweet form of encouragement.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Trainer Skills.

You know how the Pokémon games are all about the Pokémon growing up, becoming stronger and better? Why doesn't the trainer do the same?

Imagine us, the trainer, influencing the battles with our own "Abilities". Trainer Skills would affect all our Pokémon, but unlike Pokémon Abilities, we could choose our Skill - only one, that's the key - from the list of available ones. And we would gradually unlock more options by playing the game, some type-related ones could even be tied to the Badges and the best ones could be an incentive to compete in Battle Frontier facilities (or Maison or future equivalents).

Safe Entry: This trainer's Pokémon aren't affected by traps on the field. Meaning no more Stealth Rock and Sticky Web.

Enthusiastic: This trainer's Pokémon wake up faster when put to sleep. Meaning Early Bird for everyone, suck it, Dark Void.

Unyielding: This trainer's Pokémon receive less (-20%) damage from enemy attacks, but receive a cut (-20%) in Speed. Good for Trick Room teams for example.

Fast Dodge: This trainer's Pokémon are skilled at evading priority moves (I'm thinking 50% chance).

Venomous: This trainer's Pokémon always inflict bad poison instead of regular one, be it as a result of moves or Abilities (like Poison Touch or Poison Point). Could be a reward for beating a Poison-type Gym, for example.

True-Grit: This trainer's Rock-type Pokémon cannot be OHKO'd. Basically all Rock-types get a bonus Sturdy.

Unarmed: This trainer's Pokémon are faster (~20%) when they don't hold items or if they use/lose them. Unburden for all, except with a much lower boost that lasts through the match and can apply to Pokémon with no items from the start.

and many many more!

Something like this would be a great improvement toward the essential RPG element - character's development - as well as a perfect way to perhaps fix some problems people have - like the complaints about Stealth Rock - without necessarily changing the game's mechanics. It would pretty much be team customization, how cool is that? Even more cool would be to see the trainer themselves influence the battles (by making a team that's even more "their own") and improve over time. And again, making some of the Skills rewards for completing various challenges would be a sweet form of encouragement.

I would say yes.. but only if these aren't usable online, I think some would be a bit OP.
But then again that'd just make the story playthrough even easier, which is something very few people seem to want.. but if it's optional then sure I guess?

But back to the OPness, say you had the "give all Rock type Pokemon Sturdy as an additional ability" skill activated, then that means you'd have Mega Diancie, Mega Aerodactly and Mega Tyranitar all also having Sturdy.. which is a bit much honestly.

I think trainer skills sound amazing actually - I'd love a brand new feature like that. It would definitely shake up the battling mechanics and by attributing them to the trainer rather than the Pokemon it would open up a lot more options and hopefully lead to some much-needed diversity in battling.
Personally I'm all for the 'fast dodge' skill - priority is really cheap!
'Auto-feint' would be a useful one too - always hits a Pokémon using Protect.
Also if the skills were unlockable then it adds to the 'collect them all' theme in Pokémon.

Aetius

Trainer Skills.

and many many more!

As long as the abilities in question are not too OP then I'm all for them! :D
As you said, Pokèmon and trainers grow together and it would be kinda fitting for them to develop special abilities.
Of course, the game difficulty should be raised accordingly, in order not to make the game too easy.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
I just realised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

But Mega Stones desperately need their own bag pocket in the next installment

Preaching to the choir there. I always found it annoying to have to look amongst my regular items to just find a single Mega Stone. Won't lose any hair over it, but the change would be appreciated.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Preaching to the choir there. I always found it annoying to have to look amongst my regular items to just find a single Mega Stone. Won't lose any hair over it, but the change would be appreciated.

I have thought about this as well, but I have not considered it much for the new games.
I would really like it for them though. I do get tired of having to scroll through my regular items bag just for a Mega Stone.
It would possibly include any Primal Orbs available in the new games, if they are in them. Just another thought on this idea.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I'd like some sort of trophy/achievement feature like a lot of console and PC games have.

Is that not what the medal system essentially is? EDIT: Greninja'd on this line. Darn.
I do not check the site much for mine, but when they were in-game in BW2, I enjoyed looking at and earning them.
But I can see what you are saying here. Achievements give people a sense of accomplishment in games.

Anti Spiral

Theorically speaking it already exists and it is represented by the Medals feature.

Is that not what the medal system essentially is? EDIT: Greninja'd on this line. Darn.
I do not check the site much for mine, but when they were in-game in BW2, I enjoyed looking at and earning them.
But I can see what you are saying here. Achievements give people a sense of accomplishment in games.

Yes...

So I need to check when I get home. I didn't even though they existed. :redface::redface:

edit: how did i not know this exists? i've played about 400 hours on ORAS

Last edited:

Azhdarcho

Rhinne said:
Just a quick thought, but it would be really cool if they added a tiny bit of pokemon snap into the game? They know how much people loved that game, so it would be cool if you could take 'photos' of your pokemon in the Pokemon Amie minigame or something. They addded the photography guy into XY, and it's got me hopeful that we'll see more stuff like that in the future.
Since they've been trying to break into social media a bit more lately, something like this would really help.
Oh that'd be cool. They could even do it in the over world with the dexnav, like you could sneak up and take a picture of the Pokemon instead of fighting it.

Gabry00023

I've been reading the talk about those crystals on SM japanese logos and I pray it's not fusions! I like Megas, but they haven't been around for much, so imo it seems too soon to introduce a new kind of evolution. Also, I think it would add a new and unnecessary layer of complexity.

If Fusion was actually incorporated how would people like it to work?
I'm thinking along the lines of only activating if your Pokemon is below a certain health, and it gains say a +2 to all stats? Only lasts a few turns.. Obviously wouldn't be usable online..

I'm really not sure to be honest, hoping it isn't in the games right now.

If the Fusion concept did actually come into existence, I came up with the idea that that you could pick one and only one Pokemon to fuse with on any given file, that way it doesn't seem so dominating right from the start. Not that I'm saying you would receive the ability to do it right from when you start you the game. Maybe you receive this power at about the half-way point in the game.

But, yeah, I can't see something like this happening necessarily in this up-and-coming gen, at least not when Mega Evolution seems to be the current and biggest form change mechanic.
I'm liking the concept of Fusion the more I hear it. :)

================

Also, another idea I have, and I came up with this last night actually, is having the HMs work differently than how they worked in the past.

They would essentially become key items, (maybe the general name could be changed from 'HM' to "Field Move'.
As long as you have one or more Pokemon that can know one or more of these field moves and you have the field move in your Key Items pocket, that/those Pokemon will always be affected by the field moves power. So, basically, this would allow you to free up every move slot on your Pokemon for attacks that are worth your time, instead of having one or more field moves taking up a slot that you can't get rid of by normal means.

Another aspect of this would be that, despite being Key Items, the moves can still be taught to your Pokemon as if they were normal TMs. They can even be deleted if you so choose, as well. So if you still want your Pokemon to know one of these moves as a standard move in it's move-set, go nuts.

To summarize before I list a few downsides:
HMs become Field Move Key Items and don't take up a move-slot.

A few downsides to this though (I mean, I never said it was a perfect idea, just an idea in general):

1.) In the grand scheme of things, all this would really do is just free up space in your move slots.
2.) You would still be forced to have certain Pokemon (or certain types) in your team to use any of the moves.

I think there was a third downside (among potential others, I know), but It escapes me at the moment.

And, like with the Fusions example, I'm not saying this will absolutely be in the new games, I'm just speculating.

Last edited:

Gabriel Faria

Shall we dance?
I'd like to see them making levelling harder. Like making opposing Pokémons give less experience or revamp the experience groups, say, like this:

- 600.000 -> 1.000.000 (rodents, early route bugs, etc).
- 800.000 -> 1.250.000 (regular 2-stage Pokémons).
- 1.000.000 -> 1.500.000 (regular 3-stage Pokémons).
- 1.059.860 -> 1.750.000 (starters).
- 1.250.000 -> 2.000.000 (pseudo-legendaries).
- 1.640.000 -> 2.500.000 (legendaries).

But, to make things easier for competitive players, growth till level 50 would be the same as ever and then become harder from 51 to 100.

Last edited:

eworm

So I need to check when I get home. I didn't even though they existed. :redface::redface:

edit: how did i not know this exists? i've played about 400 hours on ORAS
The Medals were only in B2W2, that's probably why.
I mean, they still exist, only they're handed out to your Global Link account. So not in-game.

Also, I would love a fifth moveslot, just to see how much of a shake-up that would mean for the competitive scene.

Lilligantastic

I've been reading the talk about those crystals on SM japanese logos and I pray it's not fusions! I like Megas, but they haven't been around for much, so imo it seems too soon to introduce a new kind of evolution. Also, I think it would add a new and unnecessary layer of complexity.

I agree, I feel like they need to fully establish and explore mega evolution in more than one game before introducing something else.

P.s. nice avatar choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.