• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Sorry if this has been asked 60 times, but is hyper training replacing super training? As in you can't see and work on it everywhere? Just in the new hyper training place? Becasue if so, I'm not exactly excite for it.

Pretty sure it's a complement to it. Super training is for EV's, Hyper training is for IV's of Pokemon once you get them to level 100.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Hyper Training is for IVs, and can only be used for a Level 100 Pokémon by spending bottle caps. Super Training will most likely return or be replaced by a near identical counterpart, like PokéRefresh(?) is replacing Pokémon Amie.

Oh good. Thank you.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Jesus christ.. all these comments about the practicality of IV training while my whole post was about how IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO TRAIN YOUR GENES. I don't care how awesome hyper training is for making the game easy as pie for newbies and people without patience.

You cannot describe IVs as a pokemon's NATURAL characteristics for years and suddenly throw it out the window saying you can increase them by giving some old guy bottle caps.

Yes, you don't HAVE to use hyper training. It doesn't make it any less stupid tho.

Is no else with me on this??

DJStarstryker

Jesus christ.. all these comments about the practicality of IV training while my whole post was about how IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO TRAIN YOUR GENES. I don't care how awesome hyper training is for making the game easy as pie for newbies and people without patience.

You cannot describe IVs as a pokemon's NATURAL characteristics for years and suddenly throw it out the window saying you can increase them by giving some old guy bottle caps.

Yes, you don't HAVE to use hyper training. It doesn't make it any less stupid tho.

On another forum, I saw Hyper Training described as "why fight them, join them" sort of mentality for GameFreak/Nintendo. What I mean by this is there's people out there who hack to try to get perfect IVs because they're too impatient to get good IVs legitly by breeding. Some people are theorizing that, even if it doesn't make sense going with the idea of IVs being the DNA of a Pokemon like GF said in the past, that GF is trying to encourage more people to have their perfect IVs legitly, without hacking, by putting a method of actually raising them for a Pokemon.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
But IVs ARE genes. There is no way around it. By making IVs trainable, then IVs and EVs are the same thing now. Why don't they just eliminate IVs and make EVs work from 0 to +31 and be done with it?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
But IVs ARE genes. There is no way around it. By making IVs trainable, then IVs and EVs are the same thing now. Why don't they just eliminate IVs and make EVs work from -31 to +31 and be done with it?

there's no point in questioning it really,
you basically just have to accept it I guess. I see where you're coming from in a realistic point of view, but since it's pokemon and i'd rather gameplay be optimized than realism within the game.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
But IVs ARE genes. There is no way around it. By making IVs trainable, then IVs and EVs are the same thing now. Why don't they just eliminate IVs and make EVs work from 0 to +31 and be done with it?
Hyper training is surgery confirmed.

But seriously, it doesn't really make sense, but I'd take the ability to raise IVs over logic. :p

Maybe there'll be some in-game explanation for it.

Well, I'll put it this way: if this were around when I was 7, I'd have been jumping on a plane to World's, and the competition would be significantly larger. What isn't smart about potentially expanding any competition? Certainly gives rise to an incredibly large number of positives.

Though, I definitely see your point: it does seem unfair on fans who have had to spend hours, maybe even days, producing a perfect Pokémon for competitive battling. I mean, it's literally one of the hardest things to do in the games - in my opinion - and this coming from someone who has bred in the past. I think there should definitely be some sort of reward on a per Pokémon basis for a "perfect" Pokémon, but I have no idea how that would work, but it should definitely give you bottle caps.

Let's not underestimate too how hard it can be for younger trainers to get a Pokémon to Lv 100, let alone breed a perfect Pokémon. Kind of feels like the Ash-Paul thing has come full-circle; Pokémon trained hard and true still have potential.

Now to just wait and see how massively shaken up the next World's are.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Seeing all these new mechanics and features, along with the heavy flow of staller pokemon, makes me want to get back in to the competitive field.

I've avoided it for years due to my displeasure with the insane approach I felt many were taking just to win. Hyper Training obliterates this approach, and allows anyone to step up to the plate. Even more so, the incoming of bulkies like stallers like Mudsdale, Nekkoala, and Bruxish make for a wonderful leveling of the playing field, and for an avid staller like myself, I think I just might take a step back into the ring.

But first: BATTLE ROYAL!

.Aerodactyl.

I think their point isn't that it's un-fair, only that it is illogical.

Which I totally agree, yes, it is illogical. I think its a smart move and a good one for the franchise, that they've implemented it brilliantly without completely voiding the use of breeding,and they revealed it at a good time to tip people over the fence to get the game. But it doesn't make sense to change your genes.

I guess how I see it is that you are naturally good at some things and inherit them and naturally clumsier at others, but can train to improve. Sort of like a wax-on, wax-off karate kid deal where the weak bullied kid becomes a karate master. Genetically, he had nothing in him that would have naturally made him a king fu master, but his "attack" and "speed" and "defense" was increased with training. So some Pokémon are born faster than others, but with training they can eventually learn outrun other Pokemon who were born naturally speedier that don't train.

Last edited:

Gizmoa

Obviously it is gene therapy... or maybe IV's have always just been epigenetic ... but seriously though, despite the lore around it, IV's have become a huge problem for the game and they were a bad feature in hindsite. Back when they were introduced, there were no major competitive video game sports in the way we have today and unfortunately, the IV system has become a major roadblock to pokemon becoming an eSport. What ends up happening is the system rewards cheaters and hackers and punishes everyone else. By putting in an official means of altering IV's, the impact made by cheaters is lowered because non cheaters can now more reasonably compete with them. It also addresses the problem where you have to throw away your journey team every game because you have to go get perfect IV pokemon to play competitively with. The lore may be weird for it, but in the end it is better for the game as a whole.

Sulfurian

Obviously it is gene therapy... or maybe IV's have always just been epigenetic ... but seriously though, despite the lore around it, IV's have become a huge problem for the game and they were a bad feature in hindsite. Back when they were introduced, there were no major competitive video game sports in the way we have today and unfortunately, the IV system has become a major roadblock to pokemon becoming an eSport. What ends up happening is the system rewards cheaters and hackers and punishes everyone else. By putting in an official means of altering IV's, the impact made by cheaters is lowered because non cheaters can now more reasonably compete with them. It also addresses the problem where you have to throw away your journey team every game because you have to go get perfect IV pokemon to play competitively with. The lore may be weird for it, but in the end it is better for the game as a whole.

Actually, think about Hyper Training in a different way: In several cultures there's not only physical strength, there's spiritual strength, how powerful you are from within. How many times have we seen in real life professional sports players going beyond their limitations? Determination?

Unless you think IVs just mean sharper claws or flame sacs than average, this is a good theory. Muscle isn't everything, especially in Eastern Cultures. IV's mean Individual Values, so unless in Hyper Training you're still throwing balls at balloons your Pokemon may go through a trial or a form of meditation to unlock their hidden potential from within.

pokefreakceetje

According to a Nintendo survey I was asked for (via email (by NoE)), one of the islands protector Pokémon (probably Tapu Koko), is heavily involved in the story. I also got a video, which is a new trailer, but was only included in the trailer. I'll try to upload it in HD soon, here is the SD video:
[video=youtube_share;rzFHWwjxuKY]https://youtu.be/rzFHWwjxuKY[/video]

EDIT: it seems to be impossible to upload in HD.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I mean, to be honest, it's a video game, dude.

And it's one where the bizarre concepts outweigh all form of reasoning. It never mattered what IVs were according to the characters of the game or whathaveyou, because for us it's nothing more than another mechanic. That's all it's ever truly been, and all it's ever going to be. Let's not make a huge deal out of it.

According to a Nintendo survey I was asked for (via email (by NoE)), one of the islands protector Pokémon (probably Tapu Koko), is heavily involved in the story. I also got a video, which is a new trailer, but was only included in the trailer. I'll try to upload it in HD soon, here is the SD video:
[video=youtube_share;rzFHWwjxuKY]https://youtu.be/rzFHWwjxuKY[/video]

EDIT: it seems to be impossible to upload in HD.

The trailer just appears to be previously released trailer footage cut together with the Nintendo Treehouse gameplay footage we received.

pokefreakceetje

I mean, to be honest, it's a video game, dude.

And it's one where the bizarre concepts outweigh all form of reasoning. It never mattered what IVs were according to the characters of the game or whathaveyou, because for us it's nothing more than another mechanic. That's all it's ever truly been, and all it's ever going to be. Let's not make a huge deal out of it.

There will be possibly more new mechanics according to the survey of NoE.

The trailer just appears to be previously released trailer footage cut together with the Nintendo Treehouse gameplay footage we received.

Excuse me for the double post. It also has some stuff from the Japanese only trailers, but translated iirc. I have that info about that protector directly from the survey. There might be many new mechanics too, if I can believe the survey.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

You can take it as Pokémon are on Steroids, then.

You are probably alone on this. Because, all we know is that Pokémon have their IV changed, but don't know what kind of Method there will be. What we only know so far, is that there exists an item called Bottle Caps and once you give it, you have the access to the training. We don't know why they have gone above 5-digit system, if their characteristics will change or remain the same, what kind of trainings there are and etcetera.

pokefreakceetje

Were they specific on how many or what the mechanics are?

Non specific, only stated at least that protector. I answered to the survey yesterday, can't do it again :(.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
I'm just gonna point out - again - that IRL examples of messing with genes are literally everywhere from GMOs to vaccines to the Human Genome Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.