• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The animation used for the Pokeride reminded me of the one used for the Soaring feautre in ORAS.
Just a coincidence maybe, but still an interesting one!
Anyway, riding Pokemon now looks extremely fun! :D

I think Soaring is all but confirmed to return my friend! :D

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
So we can only ride rental Pokemon..... again? Boo!

I hope we can Soar on our own Charizard at least.

pokefreakceetje

The leaks are strong with this one.

Well, considering that super moves can be used by every Pokémon, I wonder what this means about the thing Rockruff has in common with the starters which they worded up? Synchro Evolution perhaps?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
...Wait. If the Pokemon needs to hold a Z-item to use a fifth move, does that mean you have to forego using a Mega Evolution?

(Mega Evolution is seemingly back, seeing as we can ride a M-Sharpedo).

All I see is a regular Sharpedo.

I do have to say I like that there is more variety to the rideable Pokemon and it looks like none of them are somewhat useless like how Skiddo and Gogoat were handled in X and Y.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
...Wait. If the Pokemon needs to hold a Z-item to use a fifth move, does that mean you have to forego using a Mega Evolution?

(Mega Evolution is seemingly back, seeing as we can ride a M-Sharpedo).

For that first part, yep!
Honestly.. I don't think one super powerful attack is enough of a payout for having to give up the item slot to use it..

I'm just wondering which attack stat the Z Move uses...

Last edited:

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I do have to say I like that there is more variety to the rideable Pokemon and it looks like none of them are somewhat useless like how Skiddo and Gogoat were handled in X and Y.

The sad part is that skiddo was the only one that wasn't clunky to me (and fun to ride around on), despite it having little to no use. (although you can avoid the trainers on the route with it...)

gliscor&yanmega

Probably not. They just want to make some of the dangerous areas have travel methods in new ways.

The description sounds like it'll replace them.
Move Forward with Poké Ride
One aspect of the culture in the Alola region is something known as Poké Ride, in which certain Pokémon help people get to places they wouldn’t be able to reach by using human strength alone. These Pokémon don’t join your team, but you can call on them anytime to receive their help. This practice is typical of the way of life in Alola, where humans and Pokémon are so closely bound together.

The fact it says you can call on them anytime makes it sound pretty easy for them to basically replace HMs.

I find it odd though that it shows moments where we wouldn't really need the Pokemon to ride on. There's one with Mudsdale where the area looks fine and there are even trainers around so, I don't know how much control we'll have with this. Could we actually just ride a Pokemon for however long we want?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Sooooo do we know if Rideable pokemon replace HMs?
It looks they'll be replacing Surf, (possibly) Waterfall, (possibly) Dive, and Fly.

So, to some extent, yes.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I find it odd though that it shows moments where we wouldn't really need the Pokemon to ride on. There's one with Mudsdale where the area looks fine and there are even trainers around so, I don't know how much control we'll have with this. Could we actually just ride a Pokemon for however long we want?

Maybe, the animation for Charizard is super similar to the soaring animation from ORAS. It makes me think we'll be able to call on them at any point *shrug*.

Well of course it depends on the environment, but you know.

So most megas have to hold a mega stone so they can't use Z-moves. Primal Groudon/Kyogre also have their own held items, Mega Rayquaza already 1HKOs most things in the game so it would probably be a waste to give it the Z-crystal (and it's banned even from ubers so it wouldn't see much use anyway)

The only other 'Mega' that has a free item slot is ash-greninja but we don't even know if it's ever gonna make it into the games.

This means that in the vast majority of situations, your mega will be different than your Z-holder which means that you will now have 2 trump cards in your party. Hopefully that will add more variety and interesting strategies. (Like baiting an opposing pokemon with a type advantage and surprising it with an unexpected super effective Z-move.)

Not sure how they will handle the whole physical vs special thing if there is only one Z-move per type.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This means that in the vast majority of situations, your mega will be different than your Z-holder which means that you will now have 2 trump cards in your party.

I'll have to counter that, as I doubt the player will be able to wear both the Z-ring and the Mega Bracelet at the same time. We'll likely have to swap between them.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I'll have to counter that, as I doubt the player will be able to wear both the Z-ring and the Mega Bracelet at the same time. We'll likely have to swap between them.

Just simply based on usability I hope that isn't the case. A one use per match, extremely powerful move that takes up an item slot, fights for a slot vs Megas?

Megas are so much better in most scenarios. Unless its ridiculously powerful and I mean ridiculously powerful, a correctly predicted switch will effectively null a lot of the moves. It'd obviously do crazy damage, but its less useful overall then what the mega formes offer. There's rarely going to be a situation where I'd see it'd used then, and I don't want that for something potentially awesome.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I haven't seen proof yet (but haven't looked for it either) but a number of people have said they've seen a space on the bracelet that could fit a mega stone.

Even if not, your character does have two hands (and of course the Mega Stone doesn't even need to be on your arm).

Status
Not open for further replies.