• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, for all we know, it could be more so an alternative than a replacement. This way you can still use HMs on your own Pokémon, but not be stuck into needing to have a Pokémon with Cut in your party when you really don't want to. They could even reward you by using HMs, like only being able to get items from Rock Smash if you use your own Pokémon.

I suppose that would be better than getting rid of them all together, but it would still massively devalue the HMs. Though, I suppose they've been devaluing them for the past two generations anyways.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Yeah the Z thing still bugs me, the name seems to overly associate Zygarde with the mechanic. It may actually be related, but nothing points to this beyond Zygarde having it's own Z move.
Overall I'm not seeing the point of this new Z-Move feature in standard battling. Without further information. It seems that a one time strong Z-attack is still a waste of a pokemons item slot. A lot of risk would go into unleashing it depending on the opponents potential team switches and blocks. For battle royale and other battle modes, I can see the appeal.

The introduction of new form-type variation has me wondering if this will be an answer to the "Hybridization" breeding mechanic that people have wished for in the past- in that maybe breeding a regular Ninetales with an Alolan Ninetales can give you rare and otherwise unobtainable egg moves.
With Hyper Training now available- something like this would give more merit to dedicated breeding

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Yeah the Z thing still bugs me, the name seems to overly associate Zygarde with the mechanic. It may actually be related, but nothing points to this beyond Zygarde having it's own Z move.
Overall I'm not seeing the point of this new Z-Move feature in standard battling. Without further information. It seems that a one time strong Z-attack is still a waste of a pokemons item slot. A lot of risk would go into unleashing it depending on the opponents potential team switches and blocks. For battle royale and other battle modes, I can see the appeal.

The introduction of new form-type variation has me wondering if this will be an answer to the "Hybridization" breeding mechanic that people have wished for in the past- in that maybe breeding a regular Ninetales with an Alolan Ninetales can give you rare and otherwise unobtainable egg moves.
With Hyper Training now available- something like this would give more merit to dedicated breeding

It looks it doubles as a stat boost as well, since the totem Gumshoos had the same aura, but it's Defense increases. If that's the case, it isn't just the use of one move.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Well, for all we know, it could be more so an alternative than a replacement. This way you can still use HMs on your own Pokémon, but not be stuck into needing to have a Pokémon with Cut in your party when you really don't want to. They could even reward you by using HMs, like only being able to get items from Rock Smash if you use your own Pokémon.

This would be an effective way to handle it. Additionally, maybe we can actually choose from a small pool of pokemon we own, in addition to the 'rental' pokemon lent to you, to call on for each HM. For example, I'd love to be able to call on my Sandslash to smash a rock or help me dig through an obstacle, or call on my Feraligatr to help me surf. It would still be restricted, as they wouldn't make an overworld form for every possible pokemon, but there could be a few for every use. It would be like the park in Gen 4 where you could take certain baby pokemon.

DotKU

Champion
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't really care much for designated pokémon that you can ride, and by extention either getting rid of HM's entirely or reduce their usage even more(even though they are barely mandatory in gen V and VI). I always liked to get help from my party pokémon to travel across the region, and having these pokémon offer their services makes the journey slightly less personal for me, so to speak.

Z-Moves sound cool though, even if they were somewhat predictable, but as mentioned above there are still some interesting details I would love to know, like can they be blocked/absorbed by moves and abilities?

Actually I didn't really think about it this way. I was focused on now not having to carry an HM slave for things like, granted we don't know how that will still play out yet, but flying/surfing over/through the region with a random pokemon does actually take away some value. Like it's not the Charmander, in this case, that you raised and evolved, but some rental. But I think it's still a little early to judge them how it is since we don't know how everything will work out. Hopefully HM's will be an option still at least for like flying, surfing, and diving.

knightwolf09

Wait, can we not use our own Pokémon to travel around like in the trailer? We have to use rentals?!

Yup, they're only rental pokemon we can call up from anywhere, anytime. So they also serve as replacements for bikes too I suppose.

gliscor&yanmega

I feel like they could have just made HMs into TMs. There would have been potential issuses with Gen 1-4 but with Gen 5 it kind of elimated any issuses.

That being said, Cut was always the only HM I had an issuse with. There is no Cut replacement at the moment so I would probably crawl in a corner if it's the only one left.

I'm not sure what Pokemon could be ridden that could cut down Trees.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Yup, they're only rental pokemon we can call up from anywhere, anytime. So they also serve as replacements for bikes too I suppose.
I think bikes will stay, it'd be kind of weird to strample through a town with a Tauros. :p

shadowF

so could ash-greninja be an aloha form? also do you guys believe Z-moves will be on par with Mega Evolution?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
That is exactly the way feel. If these rideable Pokemon really are replacing HMs then I will be extremely disappointed. HMs demonstrated how a trainer could work together with their Pokemon to overcome any obstacle in their way. Calling on someone else's Pokemon to help you just ruins that completely. I'd much rather it be your own Pokemon you're riding, or even just keep traditional HMs than do this. I can't begin to say how disappointed I will be if this really turns out to be the case.

One thing I've always hated about Pokémon games was being forced to use a move.

Overworld moves are fine, but they should never be mandatory. I shouldn't have to take up a move slot (or two) just to get to the next town, and I shouldn't have to change my team because I don't have a pokemon that can learn a certain HM. I am a Ghost-type user, but I've never actually been able to use them in-game, because I was always forced to use other pokemon. I can finally go on a journey with the pokemon I love. I am so not giving that up for f***ing Cut.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
I think bikes will stay, it'd be kind of weird to strample through a town with a Tauros. :p

In one of the trailers - think it was the Japanese one- there was a Tauros just amblin' along his merry way down a paved road while you talked to Hala LOL. So it may be possible? Or Hala literally manifested right in front of you to do the whole Oak spiel. "PLAYER! You can't do this; get off Tauros. I ain't payin' your damage fees either."

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I feel like they could have just made HMs into TMs.
Except they couldn't, not without providing some other means of getting out of an area (like the ridable pokemon may do). That is if HMs were TMs then they could be forgotten by a foolish player and get them stuck in the game, forcing them to restart the whole thing.

cmats4020

Except they couldn't, not without providing some other means of getting out of an area (like the ridable pokemon may do). That is if HMs were TMs then they could be forgotten by a foolish player and get them stuck in the game, forcing them to restart the whole thing.

But if you needed a TM Cut, why not just replace a move with Cut, then replace Cut with the previously TM you wanted?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
But if you needed a TM Cut, why not just replace a move with Cut, then replace Cut with the previously TM you wanted?
True, I was mostly reciting from memory and not thinking about it, there must be another reason I forgot about.

Cradily17

Wow. These new Alola forms are really neat, and it looks like Mega Sceptile isn't the only Grass Dragon anymore, but I have a few questions. Does this mean we'll get less than 100 new Pokémon again, since they have to devote time and resources to making these Alola forms? How come only Kanto Pokémon were shown with them? Oh. And I just realized this is very similar to the Delta Species from the TCG such as Fire type Ludicolo.

Last edited:

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Wow. These new Alola forms are really neat, and it looks like Mega Sceptile isn't the only Grass Dragon anymore, but I have a few questions. Does this mean we'll get less than 100 new Pokémon again, since they have to devote time and resources to making these Alola forms? How come only Kanto Pokémon were shown with them?

1) I dunno, I doubt we're getting less than or the same amount as Kalos though. That was a much bigger transition.
2) Because this is our first taste and they decided Sandshrew, Exeggutor, and Vulpix were good for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.