• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzGirl41

I don't know if I'm the only one who doesn't want PokeRide to replace HMs. I like HMs only because I am able to teach them to Pokemon I actually like/intend on using, whereas the PokeRide service is forcing me to use Pokemon I never asked to use (even though they are not in my party, I completely understand that they are an outside source). And yes, I did not enjoy the Pokemon choices in XY in those situations, either. But I did enjoy actually seeing my toon riding a Lapras.

And if HMs do go away in S/M, then there had better be some good moves that replace them, seeing as how Fly and Strength are very viable battle moves.

Watching the recent Korean video, it sadly looks like Stoutland may become the new Dowsing Machine... *shudders*

Luthor

I think there will be at least one in-game trade to get non alolan form of pokemon who received Alolan forms. They always put some in game trades in.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Something I just realized, it appears that after defeating an important character (ex. Hau), it no longer cuts to your character making a "Yes!" pose like from XY... :(

Kennith

Banned
An in-game trade for an original form of a pokemon that now has an Alola form would indeed be nice. Just one would do.

.Aerodactyl.

True, it could be once a week. Regardless, I imagine money wont be a difficult thing to get since it's been like that since Gen 5 really. Albeit, I rarely spend the money on anything other than Repels. By the time I'm ready to stock up on Pokeballs it's already post game and it's really no concern then.

I don't think we will be able to farm tons of money from that game...I think if depends if they put tides in or not. Because it they have tides, you're only gonna be able to play that game At a certain time of day. I usually never run out of money either, until X/Y solely due to customization XD. I loved that aspect of the game as it actually made things a little more challenging cause I was almost always short on cash in the beginning. Kinda hoping for the same deal here!

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Money farming has become pretty quick, between O-Powers, stealing Nuggets, etc. 20,000 P for talking to a couple of NPC sea cucumbers seems quick and dirty, but you could just as easily get Big Pearls/Nuggets (and EXP) by using Thief on Pokes. 4 Nuggets = 20,000 P. :/

Anyways, my hopes are that Gastric Acid enables Poison Moves to become Super Effective versus Rock and Steel-types. That seems broken, but realize that Odor Sleuth and Foresight let you ignore Evasion, and hit Ghosts with two different types of attacks. Poison has four resists and an immunity, so five! Rocks and metals react violently to acids, so this is very fitting. Also, the move is rather useless at the moment and has very scant distribution. A total of four OU Pokémon even have access to it, none of which would use the move competitively except maybe Amoongus. So I'm not worried about it being too busy or unfair. Also, the reversal on Rock-types would be met with the resistance of Ground types, so it would typically only allow for neutral damage on the notorious Rock/Ground combos.

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but Poison Tail needs to be brought up to 60 base power and deliver a critical hit. It has three natural families and is inferior to every one of the other options available; Gunk Shot, Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb, and even Cross Poison! Every Pokémon that has access to this move has access to a far better Poison-type attack, so it could stand to be buffed. It would be the Poison equivalent to Frost Breath. Deal consistent critical damage at essentially 90 base power and a 10% poison chance that ignores Defense increases, or go with the other alternatives for higher poison chances, etc.?

If Game Freak could do these two things, this would make my lifetime. Poison's usefulness increased several fold thanks to the effectiveness of Fairy-types, but it could be so much more with just a few little tweaks.

goodpeople25

Uh what's wrong with early game attacks? I guess some of the ones who get it by breeding it can be disappointing, though most can use it instead of being stuck with poison sting so it's more disappointing it's not a lvl up move. But thanks for giving me the opportunity to look at posion tail (and other poison moves) distribution.

Rakurai

I'm starting to become a little worried by how they're already treating the silver/gold bottlecaps as something really special.

I hope they're not too difficult to get (Namely, not as expensive as ability capsules if they're purchased with BP).

Luthor

I think Pokémon outbreaks will return this time as it's an effective way to get pokemon into the wild but make them still hard to get. I could see a version that allows swarms of non alolan forms such as fire type vulpix, ground type Marowak & psychic Exeggutor. But only post game.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I think Pokémon outbreaks will return this time as it's an effective way to get pokemon into the wild but make them still hard to get. I could see a version that allows swarms of non alolan forms such as fire type vulpix, ground type Marowak & psychic Exeggutor. But only post game.

I think that, Swarms or not, finding non-Alolan variants during the post game is a pretty safe bet. I think a Safari Zone type of facility would serve this concept well. I mean, the whole point of the Safari Zone is to house exotic Pokemon, which is why in Gen 1 the Safari Zone is the only place in Kanto where wild Exeggcute, Rhyhorn, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Chansey, Pinsir, Scyther, and Dratini can be found (except in Yellow, where Rhyhorn can also be found in Cerulean Cave). This is also the case in Gen 3, where it's the only place in Hoenn where wild Pikachu, Psyduck/Golduck, Doduo/Dodrio, Rhyhorn, Pinsir, Natu/Xatu, Heracross, Girafarig, Phanpy, and Wobbuffet can be found. This is also the case for Johto's Safari Zone in HG/SS, but it would take forever to name all of those Pokemon.

Luthor

I think that, Swarms or not, finding non-Alolan variants during the post game is a pretty safe bet. I think a Safari Zone type of facility would serve this concept well. I mean, the whole point of the Safari Zone is to house exotic Pokemon, which is why in Gen 1 the Safari Zone is the only place in Kanto where wild Exeggcute, Rhyhorn, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Chansey, Pinsir, Scyther, and Dratini can be found (except in Yellow, where Rhyhorn can also be found in Cerulean Cave). This is also the case in Gen 3, where it's the only place in Hoenn where wild Pikachu, Psyduck/Golduck, Doduo/Dodrio, Rhyhorn, Pinsir, Natu/Xatu, Heracross, Girafarig, Phanpy, and Wobbuffet can be found. This is also the case for Johto's Safari Zone in HG/SS, but it would take forever to name all of those Pokemon.

It does seem a safe bet either way. It's something post game as adding it in prior would make the new forms seem less important. As for a safari zone instead of swarm that would also be an effective method.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I'm starting to become a little worried by how they're already treating the silver/gold bottlecaps as something really special.

I hope they're not too difficult to get (Namely, not as expensive as ability capsules if they're purchased with BP).

Boy I sure hope they dont go that route! I don't think I ever got 1 Ability Capsule, just too expensive. You can get nearly six full priced BP items for the cost of one of those things. And thanks to ORAS and XYs limited item gains, evolution items are mostly available only through BP. One instance where Gen 5 was better than 6, Join Ave! Really miss that bazaar.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Boy I sure hope they dont go that route! I don't think I ever got 1 Ability Capsule, just too expensive. You can get nearly six full priced BP items for the cost of one of those things. And thanks to ORAS and XYs limited item gains, evolution items are mostly available only through BP. One instance where Gen 5 was better than 6, Join Ave! Really miss that bazaar.

I hardly ever needed to spend BP on evolution items, not when I could grind most of them off of wild Mons. And as for Ability Capsules, I seldom needed one, thanks to the reliability of breeding.

Now for the Bottle Caps. I'll just say, if Silver Bottlecaps were, say, 50-100 BP, and Gold Bottlecaps (and resetting Caps, if we get any) were were 200, with more common ones (say one point to an IV per cap or minus one point per cap for the sake of Hidden Power) being 25-50 BP and possibly being found on a beach using Stoutland (respawning periodically) or something like that, I'd be ok with that. If you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy to get a Pokemon with very solid IV's, even without breeding (Friend Safari, Legendaries caught in Gen 6, and Dex Nav come to mind), so there really shouldn't be much need for Gold Bottlecaps.

Still, this is coming from me, someone who can grind BP very quickly, who doesn't mind breeding, and who has already bred multiple 6IV Mons using Gen 6 mechanics. At the end of the day, Hyper Training just means turning 5 IV Mons into 6 IV Mons when it comes to Mixed sets, and possibly altering a Pokemon's Hidden Power for me.

Last edited:

R_N

I'm guessing there will still be regular or bronze bottlecaps that will be relatively cheap (probably around the bracers) and possibly findable in the overworld and only boost by 1 IV. Perfect for slowly decking out your pokemon or filling in the niggling gaps.
Silvers can be like 50. Only need to fill out a few stats? Grab this one. More expensive than the bronze, but perfect price range. The most expensive item by BP is 48, shared with evolution items and rare candies, so bumping it to 50 for this seems fine.
Golds can be like 200, the real hot ticket item, there if you really need it.

I bet at least one of these can be added to the items you can get from Super Training and the new Pokemile Shop/minigames on the new pokemon global link.

Having all of them be prohibitively expensive & rare would just make Hyper Training kind of useless. You already have to go all the way to level 100 so making you need like 50 BP for even a single +1 just seems a bit much. Or worse, 200 BP for a silver and even more for a gold.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
The whole bottlecaps thing sounds like an awesome idea to me. Among other things, it's going to make me much more inclined to try other shiny-hunting methods other than by breeding. The downside of things like PokeRadar chaining and chain fishing has always been imperfect IVs, but this will allow us to mitigate that hugely, or remove it altogether if Gold Bottlecaps are not too vanishingly scarce.

R_N

I just remembered another solid way to earn bottlecaps: Pick Up

It's always been a way to earn prized items like Earthquake, Leftovers, PP Ups, King's Rocks etc. Bottlecaps (of any flavor, but probably the lowest level) would make so much sense.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I just remembered another solid way to earn bottlecaps: Pick Up

It's always been a way to earn prized items like Earthquake, Leftovers, PP Ups, King's Rocks etc. Bottlecaps (of any flavor, but probably the lowest level) would make so much sense.

Like I said before, I wouldn't mind combing beaches with Stoutland for them, but Pick Up is also a definite possibility. My Horde summoning Teddiursa could come in handy even more than it already does!

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Like I said before, I wouldn't mind combing beaches with Stoutland for them, but Pick Up is also a definite possibility. My Horde summoning Teddiursa could come in handy even more than it already does!
Teddiursa? Rookie mistake. Make your Horde-summoner and Flier the same Pokemon for maximum training space. Tropius all the way. ;)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Teddiursa? Rookie mistake. Make your Horde-summoner and Flier the same Pokemon for maximum training space. Tropius all the way. ;)

Ah, well you see my friend, Teddiursa is packing EQ and Rock Slide to take out the Hordes, similar to what I'm assuming is Razor Leaf/EQ on Tropius, but it also has Pick Up for item farming (some extra PP Ups, Rare Candies, Leftovers, and Heart Scales never hurt) and Covet for item theft in case you ever spot a DexNav Mon holding onto something tasty (Life Orb Absol, I'm looking at you). Besides, I don't really even bother carrying a Flier in ORAS. I just Soar, even if it isn't the fastest means of travel. I like to feel the wind on my face!

Status
Not open for further replies.