• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I don't think that there should be any new types, especially if it's just for the sake of having new types. I prefer the 18 types we already have.

Also, like what was said before, the addition of new types is mainly for the purpose of balancing type matchups. Dark and Steel types were introduced to counter the overpowered Psychic types in generation 2, and Fairy types were introduced to counter the overpowered Dragon types in generation 6. I can't really think of any types that are unfairly balanced, as of right now, so a new type wouldn't really be justified.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Masuda himself said that they don't want to add too much newness to the franchise for a while. I don't see them adding a new type for a few generations, honestly.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I'd really rather have no new types altogether. I mean, they've just introduced Fairy, and some types (Ice, for example) seriously need minor tweaks and buffs to their resistances and effectiveness.

unmindful

Poison Pumpkin
I'm more interested in GF fixing the balance before introducing any more new types. Ice and Grass particularly need help.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Besides agreeing with you, I must say that the entire Type chart is in need of a re-balance. Like, greatly buff Ice types on defensive coverages, nerf the coverage of Fairy types (make fairy type attacks just neutral to Dark types, and/or maybe make them neutral to dark types instead)

Agreed, particularly with Ice (which should probably be able to resist at least a couple more types other than itself). We've already had resistances shuffle around before and it's far less drastic a change than a whole new type.

Yeah, you may be suggesting it for fun, but that might be more appropriate for a general discussion than speculation for a new pair of games, in my opinion.

Aetius

Hmm, it looks like that trucks and vehicles will have a prominent role in these games.
I wonder what they're going to do with them though...

Bus

As much as a new type might be interesting, I have to agree that a type chart re-balancing is could be used. Personally, I'd like to se Rock at least be resistant to itself. For such a sturdy sounding element, it has the most common weaknesses and is really kind of a pushover. At least being resistant to itself would allow Fire/Rock pokemon a little more of a chance to see battle.

If a new type were to arise though, I would hope it would be space oriented...just because I really want a space type lol. Clefairy has hinted at pokemon having extra terrestrial origins forever and then we got Deoxys that came out of a meteorite and Beeheeyem that is just straight up an alien.

Aetius

Is there even need for a new type, when a brand new one was introduced in the previous generation?
Besides, I think that the type chart doesn't need any changes.....not in the near future at least...

ECM

The only thing I want as far as types go is for Ice to resist Grass and Water type moves (with the exception of Scald). It doesn't make sense for it to be such a frail type anymore.

I'm not really hoping for a brand new type already. Not that I'm totally against any new one(s) being added in in general, though.

I don't know how this would be done or which other type would be strong against it, but for some reason I'd like to see Electric get maybe at least one other weakness other than Ground.
Also, like others have said, Ice getting a buff as well.

Last edited:

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
As opposed to new types, Ice needs resistances! It could easily resist Water, Grass, Bug and Flying!

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
The only thing I want as far as types go is for Ice to resist Grass and Water type moves (with the exception of Scald). It doesn't make sense for it to be such a frail type anymore.

As opposed to new types, Ice needs resistances! It could easily resist Water, Grass, Bug and Flying!

Being a fan of Ice types, I would definitely approve of Ice being given resistances.

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
I don't understand why Fighting is super effective against Ice in the first place (someone enlighten me.). Is it just me or do anyone of you think that Ice is deliberately made quite frail?

.Aerodactyl.

I don't understand why Fighting is super effective against Ice in the first place (someone enlighten me.). Is it just me or do anyone of you think that Ice is deliberately made quite frail?

I think it was deliberately made frail because it's effective against so many types attack wise, especially dragon in early gens. But now, it just seems to fall short.

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
It's essentially another solid substance that a fighter can have the strength to break through.

Makes sense. Then again Poison should be super effective against Fighting types as poison typically breaks physical strength. Water should also be non effective against Ice instead the other way around IMO.

Kai-zero

Trains All Types
I agree that we don't need any new types for a while.

Though Ice definitely needs to be tweaked and given some resistances plus a few more types need to be weak to Ice-Types like Normal and Bug.

Normal because no 'Normal' animal in the real world stays out in the Ice and Cold all day if they have any ability to shelter themselves from it, a good majority of creatures would in fact die from Hypothermia without shelter.

Bug for the simple fact the most bug species go dormant or die off in cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.