• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
This thread has been renamed to New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion & Speculation Thread.
You may now generally discuss and speculate about possible new features and mechanics, or discuss existing mechanics that could return.

I'm 99% certain what is in the corner is just a sketch of what the individual doors should look like. Look at the sketch and the doors on the Pokemon Center and they have the same design.

I noticed that too. Nice spot.

Furthermore, the dark images to the right of the centre seem to be a view of the glass panes from the inside.

As for mechanics and such, I'm expecting the New 3DS exclusive feature to be that the camera angle can be changed by the player, similar to how this was achieved in the 3DS remaster of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time;

by using the C-stick

Firebrand

Indomitable
I have said many times, and will continue to hold, that the fairy type was and is a mistake. It was poorly implemented, quickly went to Creator's Pet status, had poor resistance/weakness balancing and just generally caused more problems than it fixed (not to mention the fact that I'm still pretty salty that it caused so many retypes and that even on top of that, nearly 1/5th of the Kalos pokemon were fairy). I am fully aware that this is an unpopular opinion.

So I'm pretty steadfast in my hope that GF doesn't do any screwing around with the type chart in the interest of "balancing" it out for a long, long time. There are more effective ways of bringing balance to the system we've got than slapping a new type on the chart and hoping everything sorts itself out.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
If we do get a new type this gen, it'll definitely be light. Maybe sound or something, too.

cmats4020

Like others have said, I don't think we need another type. However, the type chart is in need of some major tweaking. Here's my idea:

Fire-Type Chart Update
Weak to: Ground (2x), Rock (2x), Water (2x)
Immune to: None
Resistant to: Bug (1/2x), Fire (1/2x), Grass (1/2x), Ice (1/2x), Steel (1/2x)
(Fairy resistance removed)

Grass-Type Chart Update
Weak to: Bug (2x), Fire (2x), Flying (2x), Ice (2x), Poison (2x)
Resistant to: Electric (1/2x), Fairy (1/2x), Grass (1/2x), Ground (1/2x), Water (1/2x)

Ice-Type Chart Update
Weak to: Fighting (2x), Fire (2x), Rock (2x), Steel (2x)
Resistant to: Dragon (1/2x), Ground (1/2x), Ice (1/2x)

Psychic-Type Chart Update
Weak to: Bug (2x), Dark (2x), Ghost (2x)
Resistant to: Fairy (1/2x), Fighting (1/2x), Psychic (1/2x)

Steel-Type Chart Update
Weak to: Fight (2x), Fire (2x), Ground (2x)
Immune to: Poison (0x)
Resistant to: Bug (1/2x), Dragon (1/2x), Fairy (1/2x), Flying (1/2x), Ghost (1/2x), Grass (1/2x), Ice (1/2x), Normal (1/2x), Rock (1/2x), Steel (1/2x)
(Psychic resistance removed)

Status Immunities
-Bug-types are now immune to being taunted.
-Fairy-types are now immune to being infatuated.
-Psychic-types are now immune to being confused.

Hail
-Ice-types now gain a 50% increase in Defense when it's hailing.
-Now decreases the power of Fire-type moves by 50% when it's hailing.

Harsh Sunlight
-Grass-types now gain a 25% increase in both Defense and Special Defense in sunshine.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Considering the theme is Sun and Moon, I'm actually curious if the Day/Night feature is very significant in gameplay.

It is entirely possible that Pokemon (and some Trainer battles) are once again time-exclusive, similar to GSC/HGSS, and DPPt.

clbgolden12

Something I found interesting during the trailer, the trucks. Unlike the fire truck and ambulance, the trucks seem to have three different variants. Will we perhaps be able to actually drive to places this game? It would be pretty cool, but not too sure how it'd work...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I have said many times, and will continue to hold, that the fairy type was and is a mistake. It was poorly implemented, quickly went to Creator's Pet status, had poor resistance/weakness balancing and just generally caused more problems than it fixed (not to mention the fact that I'm still pretty salty that it caused so many retypes and that even on top of that, nearly 1/5th of the Kalos pokemon were fairy). I am fully aware that this is an unpopular opinion.

So I'm pretty steadfast in my hope that GF doesn't do any screwing around with the type chart in the interest of "balancing" it out for a long, long time. There are more effective ways of bringing balance to the system we've got than slapping a new type on the chart and hoping everything sorts itself out.

Oh I agree with you.
That's why I don't want anymore types except for a "Fairy Slayer" type
And if a new type is introduced, I don't want them to go back and change past types again.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
I'd really rather have no new types altogether. I mean, they've just introduced Fairy, and some types (Ice, for example) seriously need minor tweaks and buffs to their resistances and effectiveness.

I can agree to this- I think Fairy was really just introduced to balance out a game that was full of Dragon threats, and to give fans an answer for the "light" type that is often requested.
Here on, all types that exist can compliment and resist others in a plethora of combinations. There really isn't a need for a new type.

I agree that Ice types are disadvantaged too. But my wanted tweak is to the Rock Type:
Removing Rock's weakness to Grass alone saves a lot of pokemon (Rock/Ground and Fossil pokemon) from being overlooked due to the 4x weakness. The weakness to Grass doesn't really seem to make much sense for a Rock. For Ground types, it's more understandable. But this change would make quite a few Rock types more appealing, especially for defensive roles, without giving them a ridiculous buff.

Grey Wind

Considering the theme is Sun and Moon, I'm actually curious if the Day/Night feature is very significant in gameplay.

It is entirely possible that Pokemon (and some Trainer battles) are once again time-exclusive, similar to GSC/HGSS, and DPPt.

I hope it is. I was disappointed when they pretty much stopped letting it affect anything. Hopefully the days of the week allow for different events again too.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I'd like to see more triple, rotation, and inverse battles. I found them innovative, but kinda underused (rotation and inverse were underused, triple was used more often in White and BW2) to get used to - inverse battles even moreso, considering it's only possible in two locations.

Rakurai

I'm really hoping this will finally be the gen that just lets you increase/decrease IVs somehow rather then them being fixed.

I never agreed with the notion of some Pokemon inherently being inferior to others of the same species.

This is going to be interesting...

1. VEHICLES. TONS OF VEHICLES. Speculating that your character will be able to drive vehicle(s) in a MUCH bigger region in select areas. Boats/Cars for certain missions.
2. Speaking of missions...Side Missions! Pokemon has always had a singular story, but it wasn't until X/Y (or in a way B2/W2) until we got some shape of side-missions. We're probably going to have side-missions/side-story quests/jobs that can give access to new areas/Pokemon, furthering the RPG side of things.
3. Full control of Fly. OR/AS breathed a fresh breath of air into in-game transportation. This is in the same vein as the vehicles, but instead the game should give an option to control Fly or instantaneous fast-travel.
4. Camera control. Why is there a back to the Pokemon Center in one of the artworks? yeah it's a 3D render but isn't it easier to not map a texture to the rear of a model (unless its symmetric mapping). This would also make use of the second analog stick on the New 3DS's
5. Return of Day/Night cycles (obviously) BUT IN A BIG WAY. The big one would be certain areas ONLY open during day/night or certain missions only available during day/night. Like GSC, certain characters and Pokemon only available during day/night, certain evolutions only available during day/night.
6. New weather/fields and new weather/field effects. Sunny Day will most likely get another couple effects: Ice attacks reduced by 50%, Ice and Water types get a minor Defense penalty. New weather/field: Full Moon: Dark, Ghost, and Ice-types get Attack buffs, non-Dark/Ghost/Ice get Defense penalty. I expect some Werewolf Pokemon getting a form-change or something if this does occur (ITS GONNA HAPPEN I KNOW IT)
7. New HM(s): HM's have always changed every generation, with 4th gen having the weirdest ones (Rock Climb...wut?). A throwing attack would be interesting...like throwing some arbitrary object, it would make for some interesting over-world puzzles and would also make a nice projectile attack as well. Or an Ice HM: freezing a path/bridge over an area. Or an Electric HM to charge up circuits to open doors or something.
8. Customizable home/room. Kinda like secret bases. Your home base can have a PC to manage Pokemon/Items, a closet to change character clothes, a bed to heal, etc.
9. Phone. Like the phone in GSC, your character can have a Smart Phone with apps to: access the Pokedex, access content from Pokemon Go, Trade, Battle, EV train, access side-mission list, PLAY MINI-GAMES.
10. New over-world abilities. Self explanatory.
11. New type combinations.

I'm sure there's at least one thing in this list that most likely will make it to the game...BUT EITHER WAY, I'M EXCITED!!!!!!

Aetius

This is going to be interesting...

1. VEHICLES. TONS OF VEHICLES. Speculating that your character will be able to drive vehicle(s) in a MUCH bigger region in select areas. Boats/Cars for certain missions.
2. Speaking of missions...Side Missions! Pokemon has always had a singular story, but it wasn't until X/Y (or in a way B2/W2) until we got some shape of side-missions. We're probably going to have side-missions/side-story quests/jobs that can give access to new areas/Pokemon, furthering the RPG side of things.
3. Full control of Fly. OR/AS breathed a fresh breath of air into in-game transportation. This is in the same vein as the vehicles, but instead the game should give an option to control Fly or instantaneous fast-travel.
4. Camera control. Why is there a back to the Pokemon Center in one of the artworks? yeah it's a 3D render but isn't it easier to not map a texture to the rear of a model (unless its symmetric mapping). This would also make use of the second analog stick on the New 3DS's
5. Return of Day/Night cycles (obviously) BUT IN A BIG WAY. The big one would be certain areas ONLY open during day/night or certain missions only available during day/night. Like GSC, certain characters and Pokemon only available during day/night, certain evolutions only available during day/night.
6. New weather/fields and new weather/field effects. Sunny Day will most likely get another couple effects: Ice attacks reduced by 50%, Ice and Water types get a minor Defense penalty. New weather/field: Full Moon: Dark, Ghost, and Ice-types get Attack buffs, non-Dark/Ghost/Ice get Defense penalty. I expect some Werewolf Pokemon getting a form-change or something if this does occur (ITS GONNA HAPPEN I KNOW IT)
7. New HM(s): HM's have always changed every generation, with 4th gen having the weirdest ones (Rock Climb...wut?). A throwing attack would be interesting...like throwing some arbitrary object, it would make for some interesting over-world puzzles and would also make a nice projectile attack as well. Or an Ice HM: freezing a path/bridge over an area. Or an Electric HM to charge up circuits to open doors or something.
8. Customizable home/room. Kinda like secret bases. Your home base can have a PC to manage Pokemon/Items, a closet to change character clothes, a bed to heal, etc.
9. Phone. Like the phone in GSC, your character can have a Smart Phone with apps to: access the Pokedex, access content from Pokemon Go, Trade, Battle, EV train, access side-mission list, PLAY MINI-GAMES.
10. New over-world abilities. Self explanatory.
11. New type combinations.

I'm sure there's at least one thing in this list that most likely will make it to the game...BUT EITHER WAY, I'M EXCITED!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it any better myself and yeah, I'm overexcited too! :D

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
I wonder if the PSS, Super training, and Pokemon Amie will return. Also the biggest elephant of all.. Character Customization. Will they continue that whole oh customization is only for Kalos thing or will they put it in there since so many of us wanted it to become a permanent thing.

Lorrwyn

-Secret Bases! but don't put a limit on what we can put, or just adjust the max capacity
-Trainer Customization
-PSS
-Amie
-Contest with online features
-Battle Frontier with triple/rotation/inverse battles with online features?
-Gym Leader rematch even for just 1 day a week
-Following pokemon

though this maybe too much but im just speculating things xD

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
I wonder if the PSS, Super training, and Pokemon Amie will return. Also the biggest elephant of all.. Character Customization. Will they continue that whole oh customization is only for Kalos thing or will they put it in there since so many of us wanted it to become a permanent thing.
If PSS continues to exist, I don't think it will be compatible with previous games like ORAS is with XY.

Aielyn

For starters, there has been NO mention of a new type happening whatsoever. This is just for fun!
Come on - if you're going to introduce new types with this pair, there's such an obvious option of two new types... Lunar and Solar types.

Lunar: Lunatone (Rock/Lunar), Noctowl (Lunar/Flying), Clefairy/Clefable (Lunar/Fairy), Misdreavus/Mismagius (Ghost/Lunar), Stantler (Normal/Lunar), Kricketot/Kricketune (Bug/Lunar), Cresselia (Lunar/Psychic), Darkrai (Dark/Lunar), Munna/Musharna (Psychic/Lunar), Delcatty (Lunar/Normal), Zorua/Zoroark (Lunar/Dark), Wigglytuff (Normal/Lunar), Nidoqueen and Nidoking (Ground/Lunar), and possiblyC Umbreon (Dark/Lunar or just Lunar). Note: all pokemon resulting from evolution by Moonstone get Lunar type.

Solar: Solrock (Rock/Solar), Cherubi/Cherrim (Grass/Solar), Sunkern/Sunflora (Grass/Solar), Bellossom (Grass/Solar), Lilligant (Grass/Solar), Whimsicott (Grass/Solar), Heliolisk (Electric/Solar), Groudon (Ground/Solar), Litleo/Pyroar (Fire/Solar), and Flabebe/Floette/Florges (Solar/Fairy). Similar to above, all pokemon that evolve by Sun Stone get Solar type.

The type matchups are a little harder to work, but not excessively hard. I'd have Solar be strong against Dark, Bug, Ghost, and Ice, resisted by Fighting, Flying, and Psychic, and ineffective against Fire (that is, Fire is immune to Solar), while it would resist Fire, Water, Ice, and Ghost, and be weak to Lunar (eclipse), Psychic, and Flying.

Lunar would be strong against Fighting, Psychic, and Electric (plus Solar, as noted above), resisted by Dark, Ghost, Bug, and Fairy (and Ice would be immune), it would resist Bug, Psychic, Ice, and Water, and be weak to Fire, Electric, Dark, and Ghost.

Some obvious moves that would change type include Sunny Day, Morning Sun, Solarbeam, Moonlight, Night Daze, Moonblast, Cosmic Power, and Lunar Dance.

Note that I don't actually think they'll add new types. But if they did, these would be the obvious choices. Actually, I thought Solar/Lunar would be better additions than Fairy, back before Fairy was officially confirmed.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I expect some Werewolf Pokemon getting a form-change or something if this does occur (ITS GONNA HAPPEN I KNOW IT)
This. I can get behind this idea. There's no reason for this to not happen. We already have pokemon that change based on moves/weather.

@ Aielyn:
I kind of like that idea. I've never been a fan of the 'light' type idea, partially since a good chunk of the logic had to do with people not understanding what dark meant in the source material, but Lunar/Solar sounds kind of good. And it would bring the type chart up to a nice 20 (yep, the odd there's 18 type thing aggravates my OCD). But I would not get my hopes up, especially with the comments about simplifying things.

I'd kind of like a Decay/Mushroom type. It kind of bugs me that all the shroom pokemon are squished into Grass, when they could be unique, and vastly different from Grass. It makes no sense that some of the shrooms learn Solar Beam when real ones don't photosynthesize.

clbgolden12

Sorry if this was mentioned before, but Gamexplain pointed out something in their analysis video of the trailer:

image.jpg

There are stones in both of the Japanese logos for their games, similar to how the Mega Evolution symbol was in the Japanese XY logos. I would say these stones could summon the legendaries, but the titles have the color opposite of them. Maybe this could be some new gameplay mechanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.