• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mokepon22

Hmmm that is kind of big and I'm not sure why Gamefreak expanded it like that. Still, it'll disappear quickly any ways hee hee. I'm more concerned by how small Zygarde looks in the new footage. I thought it'd be much taller. o.o;

Me too, makes you wonder how Pokemon Like Wailord or Hoopa-U will scale

Not really. I can still see the pokemon just fine.

You can see pieces, compared to XY or ORAS ability splash, you can see a lot more. If they wanted it to be that big it should've at least been transluecent

Really huge Pokemon (such as Wailord) are downsized to fit on the battlefield. Complete Forme Zygarde is no exception.
If you check ORAS' height comparison feature on the Pokedex, you'll be amazed at how their actual sized are supposed to be.

Their sizes on the battlefield were done for the sake of visual appeal.

It doesn't help if the trainer is in the background looking only inches smaller

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
It really isn't that hard. 9 times out of 10 it's simple logic such as fire melts ice or water conducts electricity. Those 1 out of 10 times that aren't so obvious aren't that hard to remember. Regardless of how complicated you think it is now though, dual-type moves really don't change much. All you have to do is remember the current type chart, and start mixing and matching. It's certainly not more complicated than calculating the damage a normal move will cause to a dual-type Pokemon.

I think the hardest part isn't even just remembering the type chart it's remembering the types of 721 different pokemon. Even if you remember one of it's types, most of them have dual types that could alter the damage of it's primary type. Start adding a BUNCH of moves with dual types and that is even more to remember. I'm sorry but sitting down and memorizing the dual types of that many pokemon and then moves on top of it doesn't sound that much of an appealing way to prepare for competitive battling and could be even more frustrating for newer players.

It would just be too bloated and messy and not very friendly towards newer players which I think pokemon needs. Like I said, there is a reason WoW has started pruning severely and it hasn't even been a game for as long as pokemon.

Everyone complains about "not enough new pokemon" or "not enough new moves". I rather think it is nice to take a minimalistic stance. They are keeping in mind the longevity of the series. Adding too much every generation and the games will get too bloated and I think dual type moves would not be encouraging to newer players which is what is going to keep the series alive. I'm okay with maybe one or two niche moves or special signature moves that feature dual types, but definitely not more than that. I'm sorry but not sorry, dual type move memorizing doesn't sound like good gameplay to me and on top of that would give a lot of pokemon overpowered type coverage possibilities. Imagine a pure attack pokemon with 4 dual type moves, covering 8 different types in four moves compared to a pokemon limited to 4 single type move coverage. Seems too OP on top of the type chart bloat.

On top of that it needs to feel intuitive and I don't feel like there are really a whole lot of moves out there that make sense as dual type. 1 or 2 is okay or maybe signature legendary moves but no more than that.

tl:dr

Dual type moves being everywhere sounds awful and I hope it never happens.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
When it comes to game Difficulty Gameplay feature is such a big demand and hope, I'm interested to know as to what style of Difficulty game design should be?

a. From the get go of creating a new file, and fixed in that difficulty permanently (like the Fire Emblem Series)
b. Available from the start and interchangeable anytime (like from The World Ends in You?)
c. Can be set after completing the tutorial parts (like after completing the tutorial of Call of Duty Modern Warfare after finishing the tutorial exercise chapter, you are given options of difficulties to play depending on your performance.)

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
When it comes to game Difficulty Gameplay feature is such a big demand and hope, I'm interested to know as to what style of Difficulty game design should be?

a. From the get go of creating a new file, and fixed in that difficulty permanently (like the Fire Emblem Series)
b. Available from the start and interchangeable anytime (like from The World Ends in You?)
c. Can be set after completing the tutorial parts (like after completing the tutorial of Call of Duty Modern Warfare after finishing the tutorial exercise chapter, you are given options of difficulties to play depending on your performance.)
A and B seem like the best possible options.

gliscor&yanmega

I'm hoping for 4 VS. 4 Quadruple Battles. And to reflect it, I hope they expand the number of Pokemon in each trainer's party from six to eight.

It's still 6, one of the trailers showed both the male and female trainer with six spots during a battle. Personally, I feel 6 works fine, however, a part of me would like to be able to use one of everyone Pokemon from each generation in a single team, which is now impossible(Besides rotating Pokemon, which I'll do during my Sun play through).

B is probably the best option as it allows you more freedom. If you wanted a challenge but it ends up being too much you can simply change it, whereas if you set it from the start and can't change it then you may become frustrated or have to restart. Pokemon doesn't have much of a tutorial either so not much reason for C.

I kind of rather they don't add a difficulty setting though. While I wouldn't have anything against it and would use the hardest difficulty for sure, Pokemon is a game that the difficulty really matters more on you than the game. I've been playing the games since the start; multiple times for each, and the difficulty has also ranged from easy to hard for all the games.

The way I see it, the games are set on an average difficult, so to speak. There are optionals choices for you to use such as items, Pokemon, leveling, etc...that in turn affect the difficulty of the games as you play. For example, if you use healing items during a battle it'll be more easy than not using healing items(Same for any items really, if you happen to use any power boosting items it'll simply make it easier for you). The games for the most part never really overlevel you, if you happen to be overleveled then you likely took advantage or rebattles and wild battles as I have never found myself overleved by just battling trainers along the way, EXP Share and Lucky Egg also would be advantages to use that makes it easier for you. There's also the matter of the Shift/Set setting in the Options, where Set would make things more difficult as you don't get the option to switch out of battle once you defeat a Pokemon.

Really, all of those things(And more) are there for you to use if you want to use them for an easier time. If you want some difficulty, don't take advantage of the things that will make things easier for you.

The only issue I see with it all is the amount of Pokemon you can use. Obviously, if your opponent uses three Pokemon and you use six it'll be easier for you than if you were to use three yourself. However, it's actually quite difficult to use the same amount of Pokemon as your opponent, the only exception really is against the Gym Leaders and that's if you looked up beforehand how many Pokemon they'll use. Which is why I hope they put an option where you can select the same amount of Pokemon as your opponent before a battle.

Now there's of course nothing wrong with just having things more difficult in a fixed way, but I can't help but imagine people will still complain about the games being too easy because most likely you'll still have the options of using advantages to make things easier for yourself. I don't recall people's reactions to B2/W2's difficult setting(Other than annoyed over how you acquire it).

Regardless, I can take a difficulty setting or leave it, but I feel people should really appreciate the current way it's set up because it allows for numerous possibilities. But still, I hope for the option to select the same amount of Pokemon as my opponent, just to avoid the hassle of doing it manual.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Until we run into a Pokemon with an ability that activates every turn then you're playing Peek-A-Boo with a speed boost Blaziken

Horde Intimidates have been thing, so that's going to make this even more of a pain.

T-Moar

Resident Genwunner
we already have 19x19 = 324 type effectiveness combinations and that's not taking into account the possibility of dual type resistances. Start adding in more dual type moves and it is a nightmare. I've been playing pokemon for 18 years and I still have trouble remembering all of the supereffective combos and what type each pokemon is.

There is a reason that WoW has had to start pruning abilities, because of button bloat and adding so many new things over the years. If pokemon started making a bunch of dual type moves and adding more every gen it would be too much and they might have to start pruning as well. Better not to even have to go through that.

1 or 2 moves like flying press and freeze dry is okay but any more than that is too much IMO, especially when they don't let you use type effectiveness charts at in real life tourneys.

This post got me thinking -- how would people feel about it if GF actually *did* prune a couple types? The difference between rock and ground types has never seemed that intuitive to me, for example.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
It's still 6, one of the trailers showed both the male and female trainer with six spots during a battle. Personally, I feel 6 works fine, however, a part of me would like to be able to use one of everyone Pokemon from each generation in a single team, which is now impossible(Besides rotating Pokemon, which I'll do during my Sun play through).

B is probably the best option as it allows you more freedom. If you wanted a challenge but it ends up being too much you can simply change it, whereas if you set it from the start and can't change it then you may become frustrated or have to restart. Pokemon doesn't have much of a tutorial either so not much reason for C.

I kind of rather they don't add a difficulty setting though. While I wouldn't have anything against it and would use the hardest difficulty for sure, Pokemon is a game that the difficulty really matters more on you than the game. I've been playing the games since the start; multiple times for each, and the difficulty has also ranged from easy to hard for all the games.

The way I see it, the games are set on an average difficult, so to speak. There are optionals choices for you to use such as items, Pokemon, leveling, etc...that in turn affect the difficulty of the games as you play. For example, if you use healing items during a battle it'll be more easy than not using healing items(Same for any items really, if you happen to use any power boosting items it'll simply make it easier for you). The games for the most part never really overlevel you, if you happen to be overleveled then you likely took advantage or rebattles and wild battles as I have never found myself overleved by just battling trainers along the way, EXP Share and Lucky Egg also would be advantages to use that makes it easier for you. There's also the matter of the Shift/Set setting in the Options, where Set would make things more difficult as you don't get the option to switch out of battle once you defeat a Pokemon.

Really, all of those things(And more) are there for you to use if you want to use them for an easier time. If you want some difficulty, don't take advantage of the things that will make things easier for you.

The only issue I see with it all is the amount of Pokemon you can use. Obviously, if your opponent uses three Pokemon and you use six it'll be easier for you than if you were to use three yourself. However, it's actually quite difficult to use the same amount of Pokemon as your opponent, the only exception really is against the Gym Leaders and that's if you looked up beforehand how many Pokemon they'll use. Which is why I hope they put an option where you can select the same amount of Pokemon as your opponent before a battle.

Now there's of course nothing wrong with just having things more difficult in a fixed way, but I can't help but imagine people will still complain about the games being too easy because most likely you'll still have the options of using advantages to make things easier for yourself. I don't recall people's reactions to B2/W2's difficult setting(Other than annoyed over how you acquire it).

Regardless, I can take a difficulty setting or leave it, but I feel people should really appreciate the current way it's set up because it allows for numerous possibilities. But still, I hope for the option to select the same amount of Pokemon as my opponent, just to avoid the hassle of doing it manual.
I'd rather have a set difficulty rather than just making it difficult by putting restrictions on yourself.

mozao

this wasn't in my horoscope
IMO they should do something to differentiate Ghost and Dark regarding super-effective match ups. Both types are strong against the same types, Ghost and Psychic. Maybe make Ghost strong against Fighting (it's a common trope for muscular/strong people to be afraid of ghosts) and neutral against itself (never really understood that relation. People say it has to do with "only a ghost can hit a ghost" in opposition to Normal-types not being able to touch them, but well, every other type can hit them too).

Class Zero

We have arrived.
This post got me thinking -- how would people feel about it if GF actually *did* prune a couple types? The difference between rock and ground types has never seemed that intuitive to me, for example.

Eh, no way.
The last thing I want GF to do is remove diversity/content from the games..

Based on the Popplio VS Ledyba footage, it looks like the effectiveness of each move is now visible before you even pick one to use (both "Pound" and "Water Gun" had "Effective" listed by the move name.) I assume there will be "Super Effective" and "Not Very Effective" notations of some kind as well?

Ludicoconut

Water&Grass Trainer
I love the sense of scale and immersion they are now giving you by having your character proportionate to the pokemon you currently have battling, really awesome.

Aetius

Based on the Popplio VS Ledyba footage, it looks like the effectiveness of each move is now visible before you even pick one to use (both "Pound" and "Water Gun" had "Effective" listed by the move name.) I assume there will be "Super Effective" and "Not Very Effective" notations of some kind as well?

Noticed that too and I find it to be a fantastic touch!
It may be helpful to understand the new Pokemon's types!

Ascended Dialga

Free-for-all battles confirmed! It's called Battle Royal.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Battle Royale looks like so much fun. Sucks that it ends after the first player's team loses though.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Battle Royale looks terrible.

A mode where the most kills wins simply doesn't work in that you could easily win by taking the 1 remaining HP from an opponent..

Battle Royale where the winner is the last man standing would have been amazing..

Status
Not open for further replies.