• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Well I thought it was just for Pokéballs/Pokéball Menu is that we assume that in the gameplay that we saw the player never used a Pokéball before and the button is there from the beginning ;) So i assume it is a hotkey for Pokéballs/Pokéball menu.
In trainer battles the hotkey is not usable and still is a Pokeball.

I just figured it's whatever you set it to be...

Aetius

I just love the little details they added to these games!
As for the "effective" below the moves, I don't see how it would make things easier..

Andyomon00

Seer of Doom
I have noticed that a lot of people are complaining that the whole effectiveness indicator on moves will make the game too easy. From what I saw most of them weren't aware of the fact that it appears after subsequent encounters with the same pokemon. To me this feature in battling is nothing more than a quality of life change that encourage and improve repeat encounters with a pokemon. How many times have you gone into a battle an completely forgot what type/pokemon resists what? Expecting people to memorize the entire type chart is kind of extreme especially when type effectiveness changes from gen to gen. With this you'll actually be encouraged to look for all the pokemon on the route that way you have all the type info.

I have noticed that a lot of people are complaining that the whole effectiveness indicator on moves will make the game too easy. From what I saw most of them weren't aware of the fact that it appears after subsequent encounters with the same pokemon. To me this feature in battling is nothing more than a quality of life change that encourage and improve repeat encounters with a pokemon. How many times have you gone into a battle an completely forgot what type/pokemon resists what? Expecting people to memorize the entire type chart is kind of extreme especially when type effectiveness changes from gen to gen. With this you'll actually be encouraged to look for all the pokemon on the route that way you have all the type info.
I don't think that's true. They were present during the very first battle against Ledyba.

I don't think that's true. They were present during the very first battle against Ledyba.

To be fair, it was a demo and the Popplio was already Level 6, though that's probably through Hau ^^;

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
The game makers specifically said it happens after you battle the particular pokemon.

I would suspect the in-universe reason would be that once the player character has battled a particular pokemon they (or the pokedex) remember its typing and thus the game communicates move effectiveness to you.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Better get Shedinja ready to be setup bait in Battle Royale....
I can see this mode giving a lot of popularity to abilities like Infiltrator, Mold Breaker and Keen Eye.
Guarantee damage whilst evading it at all costs

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Better get Shedinja ready to be setup bait in Battle Royale....
I can see this mode giving a lot of popularity to abilities like Infiltrator, Mold Breaker and Keen Eye.
Guarantee damage whilst evading it at all costs

Imagine a Togekiss with Toxic, Charm, and Follow Me.

It's a massive screw up that grants you total control, so long as Togekiss has max defenses and Leftovers.

Imagine a Togekiss with Toxic, Charm, and Follow Me.

It's a massive screw up that grants you total control, so long as Togekiss has max defenses and Leftovers.

Wouldn't special attacks still screw you over? Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are very common.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Have fun getting sniped by random OHKO moves.

But really I can't see this being super "competitive" due to the nature of someone getting ganged up on. Really cool that they made this an actual feature though after the cult following it got in XY through Double battles. Assuming it gets an online ladder with the rest of the formats, I can see it being popular.

oh yea not to mention people speculate a no guard fissure machamp might actually be a thing this generation with virtual consoles porting to sun/moon

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
I loooooooooooooove everything that we were shown. The new interface and aslkjflksjdf it was all beautiful. Being able to pull up your poke's and the opponents, to see what stats were dropped/lowered/etc and by how much is very nice! While I've got it mostly memorized from playing competitively but when I can't remember/get distracted I'll be able to look and see what my/their 'mons status is/are.

I'm really curious about the effectiveness feature on moves, I wonder if it only takes typings into account. Like I believe you will have had to of used the move on the 'mon for it to know if the moves effective or not in general, but if the moves not effective due to levitate will it tell you? Idk, and I guess we won't currently but It's an interesting thought

Last edited:

Nuzlocker4Life

I just hope there will be a veteran mode available from the start of a new game file. Which then takes away the little type effective box and which stats were lowered/raised.

I'm gonna sound like a total snob here, but I got into Pokemon just last February, and have learned all the nitty-gritty mechanics in one year alone. I don't understand how it's even remotely difficult to learn and remember the type chart, or to roughly estimate how many times your Attack was raised or lowered.

I can understand when it comes to new Pokemon, it's a lot of trial and error. But for the most part, you can pretty much figure out a new Pokemon's type based on appearance. =/

If they're that worried about youngins not remembering the type chart, just put one in the little booklet that comes in the game case, or make it available in a menu somewhere.

Zealot

I'm excited about the Battle Royal! <3

But IA with @Yknot that it will probably not be something competitive and is only for fun. Idk.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Screw being 'competitive;' I just want it to be fun.

As for OHKO moves, Blissey is one of the best pokemon for games of endurance. Give it a Focus Sash and Minimize and it can turn the tide in a single turn. Max out its HP and the odds of taking it out in one hit are slim. Give it Thunder Wave and it might start moving first.

And when it comes to actual OHKOs like Fissure and Guillotine, they only work if the pokemon's level is higher than the target's, and levels are almost always equal in online battles. Thus, most people won't be taking out Blissey in one hit.

Sash is not good on Blissey, but I think you're mistaken in how OHKO moves work. OHKO moves have a flat 30% hit rate that increases for every level above the foe you are, it works at equal level and is a legitimate pick in Battle Spot. In addition, they're effective against evasion spam because it's a flat 30% hit, which is made more effective by the fact that many evasion spammers don't know Minimize is useless against OHKO spam and possibly giving you free turns while they unwittingly Minimize in front of you. Also Blissey isn't even that bulky honestly, crazy strong physical attackers are more than strong enough which is a reason Chansey is usually better than Blissey.

Cutty

Forever now
Liking the FFA Battle Royale, it's about time tbh. I'm hoping there's another new battle format as we got 2 in Gen VI.

The new helping features... I'm kinda on the fence. I just hope we could turn it off as it could be annoying/slow down the game pace especially during wild encounter.

Snoo

Work Hard, Play Hard
Have fun getting sniped by random OHKO moves.

But really I can't see this being super "competitive" due to the nature of someone getting ganged up on. Really cool that they made this an actual feature though after the cult following it got in XY through Double battles. Assuming it gets an online ladder with the rest of the formats, I can see it being popular.

Agreed.

Although started on YouTube, the Battle Royal feature is most likely implemented into the games as a fun way competitively among players rather than stressing over a win. The difference between the Battle Royal and Free-For-All (YouTube) was the rules, nothing drastic. This is one feature I'm looking forwards to playing with my friends.

Shoutouts to DuncanKneeDeep. :]

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Sash is not good on Blissey, but I think you're mistaken in how OHKO moves work. OHKO moves have a flat 30% hit rate that increases for every level above the foe you are, it works at equal level and is a legitimate pick in Battle Spot. In addition, they're effective against evasion spam because it's a flat 30% hit, which is made more effective by the fact that many evasion spammers don't know Minimize is useless against OHKO spam and possibly giving you free turns while they unwittingly Minimize in front of you. Also Blissey isn't even that bulky honestly, crazy strong physical attackers are more than strong enough which is a reason Chansey is usually better than Blissey.

I don't recall ever being able to use OHKO moves at equal level, but I suppose I was mistaken.

Still, even with the equal level validity, the odds of success are so low in online battles that it's - to me at least - not worth a move slot. While the odds vary a bit better in standard battling, I doubt a OHKO move will fare well in Battle Royale.

You're basically gambling a live or die scenario every turn, with three other pokemon capable of taking your one out. It's just not worth it.

Thus, I hold to my Blissey. And if OHKO becomes a potential problem, Wide Lens Jynx with Lovely Kiss has always been there for me. Don't you dare speak badly of Jynx.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I just hope there will be a veteran mode available from the start of a new game file. Which then takes away the little type effective box and which stats were lowered/raised.

I'm gonna sound like a total snob here, but I got into Pokemon just last February, and have learned all the nitty-gritty mechanics in one year alone. I don't understand how it's even remotely difficult to learn and remember the type chart, or to roughly estimate how many times your Attack was raised or lowered.

I can understand when it comes to new Pokemon, it's a lot of trial and error. But for the most part, you can pretty much figure out a new Pokemon's type based on appearance. =/

If they're that worried about youngins not remembering the type chart, just put one in the little booklet that comes in the game case, or make it available in a menu somewhere.
Let's be fair here and note that for the stat change box at least nothing is forcing you to use it. You have to actively click on it. Like the experience share its simply an option if you want it.

knightwolf09

Anybody else curious about the clothing options this time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.