• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyknight

I'm personally not convinced that Hyper Training will actually overwrite the IVs. I think instead it applies addends to IVs, with further coding keeping the values from going beyond the IV31 level (or below the IV0 level, for that matter). If IVs actually were overwritten, it would lead to some...interesting...breeding repercussions (no more need to rely on others for an all-31 Ditto coterie!). It's also a matter of whether Hidden Power is still coupled to IVs; if so, I don't think too many players would be happy with finding that utmost perfection of stats suddenly means they don't have the Hidden Power they wanted.

In short, I think that Hyper Training increases will only apply to combat calculations, not stat inheritance or Hidden Power determination. That 4/28/31/12/9/30 critter you have will still be 4/28/31/12/9/30 after Hyper Training, as far as anything outside of battle is concerned.

I'm personally not convinced that Hyper Training will actually overwrite the IVs. I think instead it applies addends to IVs, with further coding keeping the values from going beyond the IV31 level (or below the IV0 level, for that matter). If IVs actually were overwritten, it would lead to some...interesting...breeding repercussions (no more need to rely on others for an all-31 Ditto coterie!). It's also a matter of whether Hidden Power is still coupled to IVs; if so, I don't think too many players would be happy with finding that utmost perfection of stats suddenly means they don't have the Hidden Power they wanted.

In short, I think that Hyper Training increases will only apply to combat calculations, not stat inheritance or Hidden Power determination. That 4/28/31/12/9/30 critter you have will still be 4/28/31/12/9/30 after Hyper Training, as far as anything outside of battle is concerned.

Yeah, I feel that at least for Hidden Power, that the Pokémon will have it determined by the IVs that they were 'born' with, sweing the huge mess it could make.

Although I'm a lot more confused about breeding. I feel like they may do as you say, and have it only affect battle, which feels like the smartest idea IMO because it doesn't cheapen the effort that competitive breeders have done all these gens, and still keeps the neccesary casual/competitive division in place. On the other hand, GameFreak has been trying to simplify and expand the metagame for fans trying to get into it, so I feel it may carry into breeding.

Akashin

The trailer outright shows Pikachu's regular stats changing, though. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
The trailer outright shows Pikachu's regular stats changing, though. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

I think they mean that the stats will increase, but for things like Hidden Power and breeding the IVs will stay the same as what they were bred with. So in-battle it's a huge boost, but out of battle it's the same as it began.

Gizmoa

Then, if we go by the packet based system Pokemon seem to have and bacteria use, it still fits with genetic engineering. Bacteriums are some of the easiest things to genetically engineer in real life, however I doubt GameFreak would make Pokemon essentially giant bacteriums that look like certain animals, objects, etc. It is likely GameFreak took the easy way out, however it would be interesting if they changed the algorithm to be fitting for double-strained DNA.

If it is packet-based DNA, Hyper Training would be much easier to pull off. In fact, it was already pulled off in Gen 5 via DNA Splicers for Kyurem, so they already have the technology to change the genetics of Pokemon and potentially change IVs.

Agreed, and bacteria just happen to use the packet system in our world, there isn't really any reason it couldn't be found in things other than bacteria, it was more just a lucky happenstance that it isn't seen more in multicellular life forms. One could argue that the animal kingdom's immune systems would conflict with the packets (it does not like new proteins formed by dna changes changes), but I would think had animals evolved with the packet system they would simply have immune functions that worked differently and did not disrupt them. Packets are exactly why bacteria are so easy to splice, you hand them a chunk of dna/rna (whatever that species prefers) and they wrap it up and packetize it themselves. xD

Rakurai

I'm thinking Hidden Power's mechanics may have actually changed in this game, seeing as they've altered some other things, such as the number of digits in a Trainer ID.

Hopefully, it can be changed for the sake of removing more RNG from the process of getting the ideal Pokemon.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'm thinking Hidden Power's mechanics may have actually changed in this game, seeing as they've altered some other things, such as the number of digits in a Trainer ID.

Hopefully, it can be changed for the sake of removing more RNG from the process of getting the ideal Pokemon.

And add Fairy type Hidden Power while they're at it.

Nuzlocker4Life

I'm still trying to figure out why having 6-digit Trainer IDs is such a huge deal. May someone enlighten me on this?

Regarding Hyper Training, I think there will be multiple kinds of bottle caps, for each stat, either adding or subtracting IVs. I think its a wonderful new idea! To finally be able to have my nuzlocke teams be on equal-footing with competitively-bred teams is important to me. ;o;

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
I'm still trying to figure out why having 6-digit Trainer IDs is such a huge deal. May someone enlighten me on this?

Regarding Hyper Training, I think there will be multiple kinds of bottle caps, for each stat, either adding or subtracting IVs. I think its a wonderful new idea! To finally be able to have my nuzlocke teams be on equal-footing with competitively-bred teams is important to me. ;o;

Nature, HA and eggmoves.Unless luck is by your side most of Locke teams are going to be garbage

Gizmoa

6 digits mean they can be more unique and potentially include more data if they wanted to weave in a hidden value of some sort.

Nuzlocker4Life

Nature, HA and eggmoves.Unless luck is by your side most of Locke teams are going to be garbage

Yes, that is the other reality of it (although my OR team is a strangely strong bunch), but my guys will stand a much better chance than they do currently.

6 digits mean they can be more unique and potentially include more data if they wanted to weave in a hidden value of some sort.

Ahh....interesting.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Regarding Hyper Training, I think there will be multiple kinds of bottle caps, for each stat, either adding or subtracting IVs.
Perhaps, but the example video shows all the IVs increasing at the same time, so at the very least there is a bottle cap that works on more than one stat at a time.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan

This isn't totally accurate. Those things are definitely important in competitive, but there are plenty of pokemon that don't need their HA or Eggmoves to be successful. Nature is pretty important, and would be the most hindering factor, but that can be worked around with some pokemon as long as the IVs and EVs are put in the right spots.

I agree being able to change IVs isn't going to make every pokemon competitively viable, but saying they're 'going to be garbage' is a bit much.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
This isn't totally accurate. Those things are definitely important in competitive, but there are plenty of pokemon that don't need their HA or Eggmoves to be successful. Nature is pretty important, and would be the most hindering factor, but that can be worked around with some pokemon as long as the IVs and EVs are put in the right spots.

I agree being able to change IVs isn't going to make every pokemon competitively viable, but saying they're 'going to be garbage' is a bit much.

He/she is pretty saying a random mish-mash of Pokemon isn't going to get you far in competitive battles as competitive players usually build their team from the ground up as opposed to throwing together six random Pokemon and hope it works. Don't think Hyper Training is going to make breeding useless though as it reduces the grind of obtaining Bottle Caps depending on how hard they are to obtain.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
I'm a bit confused by the recent discussion... As I understand it, Hyper Training is to IVs what Super Training is to EVs..? Simply a way to raise IVs without the hassle of having to breed for a Pokemon with a set of good ones..?

What's the basis for the thoughts about it only taking effect when in competitive battles?

Gizmoa

I'm a bit confused by the recent discussion... As I understand it, Hyper Training is to IVs what Super Training is to EVs..? Simply a way to raise IVs without the hassle of having to breed for a Pokemon with a set of good ones..?

What's the basis for the thoughts about it only taking effect when in competitive battles?

I think the idea is that it won't impact future breeding if it happens to be limited to while in competitive battle.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I do wonder if they might have something that could be considered as anti-hyper-training (AHT).

Particular with Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Shaving off its speed would power up Gyro Ball.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
I do wonder if they might have something that could be considered as anti-hyper-training (AHT).

Particular with Pokemon like Ferrothorn. Shaving off its speed would power up Gyro Ball.

I'm thinking it'll come down to having to breed for bad IVs for cases like this tbh.

Kalosian

So long
Hyper Training seems awesome. Chances are there will be less IV breeding and soft-resetting for legendaries now. That would save a lot of time, which could be great. I guess it is still too early to say but this is one new feature I'm really looking forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.