• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I really hope we will be able to use our Kalos born pokemon mixed in with our Aloan born pokemon in competitive battling unlike last generation where it was only Kalos born pokemon that were allowed. Do you guys think that will be the case or do you guys think that for competitive battling we will only be allowed to use Aloan born pokemon?
I don't see why we would be restricted to Alola Pokémon only, so no?

Ioneos

old geezer
Video of what's being talked about here. A Pikachu with 4 moves, Slam and 3 Electric moves, has an accessible Z-Move button. The Z-Move button seems to be pressed, and then the other moves fade out while there's an extended upper button, only it says "Hyper Sprint Attack das German" instead of "Slam".

Which makes me think that (these ideas not being novel), if you press the Z-Move button while holding the Normal Z-Crystal, one of three things could happen: only formerly damaging Normal-types attacks will be illuminated with Hyper Sprint Attack always showing in their place; or all formerly damaging Normal Attacks will display a corresponding replacement based upon their move type, Attack stat-using, Special Attack-stat using, or status move; or, finally, all Normal type attacks will display a replacement based upon move type, even status moves.

There is a 4th option (and this is the only other idea that's original at this point, the others have all been discussed), and it's a crazy one, and it's that all Normal moves like "Tackle", "Slam", or "Body Slam" have their own associated "slamming" Z-Move while "Slash" and "Cut" have their own "slashing" Z-Move. This could be exclusive to the other options, such that "Sing", "Growl", and "Hyper Voice" could have a common "soundful" Z-Move, despite including as a category both attacking and status moves, or else you could separate "soundful" status moves and soundful attacking moves, or even differentiate even further between special and physical soundful attacking moves.

Option one sounds the most realistic. Three is also pretty likely. I think two is kinda complicated although definitely plausible. Four just seems excessive though, considering you have to sort moves by category and then multiply that by eighteen for each type.

I don't see why last gen was restricted to Kalos only. If there is some reason that I'm not aware of, I don't see why it wouldn't apply to Alola as well.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

We won't when it's just standard PvP, but I think they're referring to Battle Spot and VGC, which will likely adhere to the same "Native Mons Only" rule as Gen 6.

clbgolden12

We won't when it's just standard PvP, but I think they're referring to Battle Spot and VGC, which will likely adhere to the same "Native Mons Only" rule as Gen 6.
Wait, that's seriously a rule? I had no idea...

But is it like gen 6 'Mon only instead of Kalos only? Because I've used a Hoenn Sylveon on Battle Spot on XY many times before...

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Wait, that's seriously a rule? I had no idea...

But is it like gen 6 'Mon only instead of Kalos only? Because I've used a Hoenn Sylveon on Battle Spot on XY many times before...

It's only Pokemon Caught/Bred/Gifted in Gen 6, as in X/Y or ORAS, so as long as they weren't Poke Banked up from earlier Gens, you're golden!

League

Master Abra Catcher
So Pikachu using a Normal-type Z-Move has made me wonder about this, but how do we expect Refrigerate Amaura and Pixilate Sylveon will interact with the Normal-type Z-Move? These are the only Pokemon with -ate-or abilities accessible without holding a Mega Stone.

Ioneos

old geezer
So Pikachu using a Normal-type Z-Move has made me wonder about this, but how do we expect Refrigerate Amaura and Pixilate Sylveon will interact with the Normal-type Z-Move? These are the only Pokemon with -ate-or abilities accessible without holding a Mega Stone.

That's... a really good question. My guess is that it won't convert because they aren't exactly normal moves, but the other option is completely feasible as well.

clbgolden12

After using the Z-Move, slam's pp decreases, so apparently Z-Moves use regular moves' pp.
... Wow, you're right. I guess it does draw power from the ordinary move then...

These move's power better be boosted as heck then, otherwise they'll be pretty useless.

knightwolf09

... Wow, you're right. I guess it does draw power from the ordinary move then...

These move's power better be boosted as heck then, otherwise they'll be pretty useless.

I still think, like mega evolution, it increases the BP by 100.

shadowF

It's only Pokemon Caught/Bred/Gifted in Gen 6, as in X/Y or ORAS, so as long as they weren't Poke Banked up from earlier Gens, you're golden!

I really hope that the rule is Pokemon Caught/Bred/Gifted from generation 6 to now including Gen 7 can be used in Battle Spot and VGC but the only thing is that the pokemon from Gen 7 have their own symbol which shows they were Caught/Bred/Gifted in Alola so that is where there is a chance that they might say only Pokemon Caught/Bred/Gifted in Gen 7 can be used for Battle Spot and VGC. If that happens then I am done with doing competitive shiny breeding, I worked hard for Gen 6 with the intention I can use them for Battle Spot and VGC forever but if they do this rule I really wont want to start from scratch again, unless getting a shiny becomes incredibly easy.

clbgolden12

I still think, like mega evolution, it increases the BP by 100.
Ugh, if that's the case, outside the main story (maybe) I'll probably never use Z-Moves. A 100 boost to certain moves like, let's say, Flamethrower, won't be worth the item slot (and it even takes PP away from the move, which isn't anymore helpful)...

Also, how would that work with status moves?

knightwolf09

Ugh, if that's the case, outside the main story (maybe) I'll probably never use Z-Moves. A 100 boost to certain moves like, let's say, Flamethrower, won't be worth the item slot (and it even takes PP away from the move, which isn't anymore helpful)...

Also, how would that work with status moves?

I meant that BP adds 100 to a move. Like Flamethrower becomes 190 BP through a Z-move. As for status moves or stat moves, I doubt they would work for Z-moves. So they only work for attacking moves.

clbgolden12

I meant that BP adds 100 to a move. Like Flamethrower becomes 190 BP through a Z-move. As for status moves or stat moves, I doubt they would work for Z-moves. So they only work for attacking moves.
Exactly my point. I don't think an 100 boost to something like Flamethrower would be worth it as you can use the move only once, you could use a better item instead, and it still uses a PP from the move.

Also, I think status moves will count, but just by default they'll be 100 power.

knightwolf09

Exactly my point. I don't think an 100 boost to something like Flamethrower would be worth it as you can use the move only once, you could use a better item instead, and it still uses a PP from the move.

Also, I think status moves will count, but just by default they'll be 100 power.

You never really thought Z-moves were going to be useful to begin with did you? I still doubt Status moves will work for Z-Moves since they're not damaging.

clbgolden12

You never really thought Z-moves were going to be useful to begin with did you? I still doubt Status moves will work for Z-Moves since they're not damaging.
Well, yeah? They looked pretty powerful, and they'd have be if they're only one use per battle...

R_N

Would Rowlett really survive a 180 BP move like that? I mean, I know it wasn't with stab but it only did a little over half

knightwolf09

Would Rowlett really survive a 180 BP move like that? I mean, I know it wasn't with stab but it only did a little over half

Pikachu's Attack stat isn't too great, and it also depends on how bulky Rowlet is. So maybe?

R_N

Pikachu's Attack stat isn't too great, and it also depends on how bulky Rowlet is. So maybe?

i donno, 55 base attack for a nfe battle like that? And rowlett probably wont be the bulky starter, at least judging by what its final evo seems to be.

knightwolf09

i donno, 55 base attack for a nfe battle like that? And rowlett probably wont be the bulky starter, at least judging by what its final evo seems to be.

Litten was shown to be the fastest starter out of the 3 and his final evo doesn't look very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.