• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

weltallelite

Well first of all, when it comes to EV training there are no diminishing returns in terms of how many extra points you get; fully EV training a single stat will result in a net +63 to that stat by level 100 regardless of how high that stat is to begin with. Generally speaking that effort is best spent on boosting what the Pokemon is already good at rather than trying to cover its weaknesses, but that's more for competitive battling than anything. For in-game purposes, mitigating weaknesses isn't a bad way to go, I suppose.

That is awesome. Thank you very much for your help!

Nixoth

Ace Trainer
You sure it wasn't because of some other field effect?

No other effect. It was at verdant cavern right after the trial. I'm uploading a video on YouTube I'll give the link when it's up.

Nixoth

Ace Trainer
Kk here's the vid. Caught rattata can post pic if needed. Can't explain why it happened but it also just happened with alolan meowth. *edit: I'm dumb here's the link
https://youtu.be/Vm7EHGJG9xc

Last edited:

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Kk here's the vid. Caught rattata can post pic if needed. Can't explain why it happened but it also just happened with alolan meowth. *edit: I'm dumb here's the link
https://youtu.be/Vm7EHGJG9xc

Your Cottonee has Prankster. Dark-types are immune to that now.

Nixoth

Ace Trainer
Dark types are immune to prankster boosted moves??? Wow when did that happen?

Nixoth

Ace Trainer
Wow that's crazy I didn't know that. Thanks guys

scottykun

Dark Trainer
OH BOY!!! Ive been waiting to vent my feels about Sun & Moon since November 18th >:]. Being a pokemon fan who has played since the beginning of course I am thrilled to see this beautiful rebirth of Pokemon come to life. I get all kinds of nostalgia re-training the mons that I trained as a child with that same sense of "what will this evolve into and specialize in??" Mostly due to the fact that alot of the mons from gen 7 are just regional variants of mons from gen 1. But something has troubled me since the reveal trailer in which they first showed the battle UI. For the first time in poke-history the game actually tells you what moves will be super-effective normal and not very effective against your opponent. This new addition has actually stopped a few of my long time poke-buddies from enjoying the new game the way we have spent timeless hours in the previous games. Now correct me if I'm mistaken but all of us take pride in being seasoned trainers that can handle any type of situation. You know each and every mon from their typing to their stats and whatever your rival has up his or her sleeve...believe you've got something to answer it. If this is the type of trainer mindset that you have then you are like me and probably feel the same way i felt about this UI change. I have literally had battles that came down to the wire and were won or lost based on these little bits of knowledge that nintendo is now seemingly throwing out the window by spoon feeding it to you in game instead of making you do the work to learn. I mean since the new games releases ive actually lost a battle to a casual friend who i once watched try to use a pikachu against a geodude (no joke.) Although it may be because I got cocky or because I hadnt been training the way I should have, I also feel that alot of it is because instead of him having to test his luck on typing and attacks he had the luxury of instantly knowing whether or not he had a chance at taking me out before he even attacked.

I completely understand that nintendo may be trying to make things more user friendly and beginner accessible but geez come on you guys cant at least make a way for us to turn it off???

FowTech95

Random Passerby
OH BOY!!! Ive been waiting to vent my feels about Sun & Moon since November 18th >:]. Being a pokemon fan who has played since the beginning of course I am thrilled to see this beautiful rebirth of Pokemon come to life. I get all kinds of nostalgia re-training the mons that I trained as a child with that same sense of "what will this evolve into and specialize in??" Mostly due to the fact that alot of the mons from gen 7 are just regional variants of mons from gen 1. But something has troubled me since the reveal trailer in which they first showed the battle UI. For the first time in poke-history the game actually tells you what moves will be super-effective normal and not very effective against your opponent. This new addition has actually stopped a few of my long time poke-buddies from enjoying the new game the way we have spent timeless hours in the previous games. Now correct me if I'm mistaken but all of us take pride in being seasoned trainers that can handle any type of situation. You know each and every mon from their typing to their stats and whatever your rival has up his or her sleeve...believe you've got something to answer it. If this is the type of trainer mindset that you have then you are like me and probably feel the same way i felt about this UI change. I have literally had battles that came down to the wire and were won or lost based on these little bits of knowledge that nintendo is now seemingly throwing out the window by spoon feeding it to you in game instead of making you do the work to learn. I mean since the new games releases ive actually lost a battle to a casual friend who i once watched try to use a pikachu against a geodude (no joke.) Although it may be because I got cocky or because I hadnt been training the way I should have, I also feel that alot of it is because instead of him having to test his luck on typing and attacks he had the luxury of instantly knowing whether or not he had a chance at taking me out before he even attacked.

I completely understand that nintendo may be trying to make things more user friendly and beginner accessible but geez come on you guys cant at least make a way for us to turn it off???

I know how you feel but there are some cases where the new UI is useful even for seasoned trainers. First is the stat changes; sometimes you lose count on how many stages your Pokemon lost or gained. Using the new UI helps monitor your stat changes without relying on note taking. It also helps with things like stat gains of Totem Pokemon and shiny hunting, where Pokemon annoyingly spammed Sand Attack at your mons. You can also keep track on the weather, which is crucial is you want to run a weather team. Finally, about the move effectiveness. I know this made the game easy for beginners but we need to give them some slack. Using the new UI, they will learn the type chart more easily compared to before. With the advent of Pokemon Go, there are new and returning fans buying the game, most of them are beginners. I don't mind it since I sometimes forget about what moves are effective on a Pokemon; only in this gen I learned that Fighting doesn't resist Steel. It's also useful for those who have moves like Hidden Power, Multi-Attack, or Revelation Dance. If you don't want the new UI, just ignore the small features such as this and enjoy the game. Be glad that there are more people who are into Pokemon now (that means more people to play with).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I most certainly know the type compatibility chart very well, but I do support this notion, and I don't mind it at all. There isn't anything that anyone loses from having this present within the game, and it allows newcomers to ease themselves into the game. Pokémon has a crazy amount of hidden mechanics that will easily overwhelm a newcomer, most of which has to be learned either through external sources or by trial and error, and personally, the less trial and error is needed to learn a game, the better. If you call it a luxury, then I would say it's a luxury everyone ought to have.

By the way, these don't show up until you've encountered at least one of those Pokémon as an opponent. On your first encounter, the type effectiveness indicators will not appear.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'd love the SOS Mechanic a lot more if you could still catch the Pokémon even with their ally there.

Despite that frustrating set back, I like the S.O.S. battle feature cuz it allows us to encounter some rare pokemon and pokemon with Hidden Abilities. I heard that the odds of finding shinies is improved during S.O.S. battles as well, but I dunno if I'll bother using it for shiny hunting myself cuz I bet it can get pretty tedious. ^^;

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
@ Mrs. Oreo

The reason they limit it just one Pokémon on the field before being captured is because it'd turn into a buffet line if you could go for the opponents' allies. The problem with the SOS battles is the oversight with the mechanics. For example, a synchronizer won't get the nature you want when a Pokémon is called. Opponents can faint each other inadvertently and sometimes intentionally, sometimes they knock themselves out (see Geodude and Beldum). Status happens, it just does and when it happens to an opponent it ends the chain. Other species end the chain. Sometimes there just aren't practical match ups or the opponent uses it's PP up too soon and Struggles to death. And sometimes just about all of these factors happen in one turn!!!

Last Gen, you got to see a Pokémon with an HA, item, level, and decent stats before you even had to engage it in battle! This was obviously incredible. But with SOS, it's just too tedious for something we had way better beforehand. To get the Pokémon with 4 guaranteed stats you need to have fainted 40 members which is a huge investment and stuff can go sideways. To get hidden natures, you have to have a way to trigger them to confirm in battle or it's a stab in the dark (not always possible), and enough with the shinnies-this isn't 2001! We got the fillet mignon, but now we're stuck with the fatty ground beef.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

@ Mrs. Oreo

The reason they limit it just one Pokémon on the field before being captured is because it'd turn into a buffet line if you could go for the opponents' allies. The problem with the SOS battles is the oversight with the mechanics. For example, a synchronizer won't get the nature you want when a Pokémon is called. Opponents can faint each other inadvertently and sometimes intentionally, sometimes they knock themselves out (see Geodude and Beldum). Status happens, it just does and when it happens to an opponent it ends the chain. Other species end the chain. Sometimes there just aren't practical match ups or the opponent uses it's PP up too soon and Struggles to death. And sometimes just about all of these factors happen in one turn!!!

Last Gen, you got to see a Pokémon with an HA, item, level, and decent stats before you even had to engage it in battle! This was obviously incredible. But with SOS, it's just too tedious for something we had way better beforehand. To get the Pokémon with 4 guaranteed stats you need to have fainted 40 members which is a huge investment and stuff can go sideways. To get hidden natures, you have to have a way to trigger them to confirm in battle , not always possible, and f*ck shinies-this isn't 2001! We got the fillet mignon, but now we're stuck with the fatty ground beef.

Wouldn't call it an oversight, more a matter that they probably wanted those special things you want on a Pokemon to be actually difficult to get and require some effort and time.

Everything can be gotten around anyways:
Synchronize-Haven't really bothered with it myself, but breeding can get around this, find a partner Pokemon with the nature you want and just give it an Everstone.

Wild Pokemon knocking themselves or allies out-I believe only Sableye and Mareanie will knock out their ally, you'd probably want to knock those two out first anyways so they can continue to be called out. Not sure on any Pokemon with moves that hit multiple targets, but same deal anyways. Geodude is probably the worst case since it has Selfdestruct but Damp can get around that, Beldum is probably better off not using False Swipe on for Take Down issues.

Status-Don't think anything can place a status on themselves so unless an ally Pokemon somehow does it(Which would be unlikely), it would be on you if you placed the status. Easy gotten around by avoiding using anything that cause such things.

Other species-Just knock out the other species and it's all fine.

PP-Is only an issue if nothing gets called, which could happen, but for the most part you'll likely be able to get an ally Pokemon and knock out the other Pokemon to have a fresh Pokemon.

You need to knock out 30 for 4 perfect IVs. And there is a chance for Hidden Abilities once you knock out 10 Pokemon and chances increases to 15% at 30 knockouts. You'd probably end up breeding afterward anyways, so it's not like you need the perfect Pokemon from SOS Battles, spend some time and effort, get a nice one, and start breeding to perfect it.

Ajduk

So, if I hyper train a lvl 100 pokemon to have its crap IV stat act like it was a 31 IV stat, and the pokemon is scaled to lvl 50 in battles, the effects of the hyper training still remain and the pokemon's crap IV stat will have the same score as it would have if it were a 31 IV stat, right?

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
@ gliscor&yanmega

The Synchronise issue is a deal breaker in itself. That has been fundamental since what, Emerald?! But then you're overlooking that there's natures, IVs, gender, abilities, levels, and lots of other things with moves that can make the battles absurdly drawn out. And when you've just grinded through 39 other Pokémon who all were potentially decent candidates to find a critical flaw on the one you just picked up after 20 some minutes of calling and culling, yeah you bet it's frustrating. I'd rather soft reset for bred eggs, but you need to have a baseline pool to breed from too!

TL;DR, when Bank gets here, it'll be much easier just to pull from Gen VI than it will be to mess with S&M 'Mons. This Gen is off to a ROUGH start.

gliscor&yanmega

@ gliscor&yanmega

The Synchronise issue is a deal breaker in itself. That has been fundamental since what, Emerald?! But then you're overlooking that there's natures, IVs, gender, abilities, levels, and lots of other things with moves that can make the battles absurdly drawn out. And when you've just grinded through 39 other Pokémon who all were potentially decent candidates to find a critical flaw on the one you just picked up after 20 some minutes of calling and culling, yeah you bet it's frustrating. I'd rather soft reset for bred eggs, but you need to have a baseline pool to breed from too!

TL;DR, when Bank gets here, it'll be much easier just to pull from Gen VI than it will be to mess with S&M 'Mons. This Gen is off to a ROUGH start.

Again, breeding solves Nature problems, you only need an Everstone and another Pokemon with the Nature you want, takes little effort, and Synchronize works fine for that.

You only need to defeat 30 Pokemon before you have a guaranteed 4 perfect IVs(As well as 15% chance at getting a Hidden Ability), it's simple enough to get to that point and then use that Pokemon to breed to perfect it. Time consuming and whatnot, but still plenty doable.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Must say, now that I'm actually progressing with the Battle Tree, its become my favourite after game challenge, even exceeding the Battle Frontier. I had a streak of 37 for my highest so far. But I'm loving teaming up with different characters, so far I've got Wally, Grimsley and Plumeria.

BlazingRagnarok

Must say, now that I'm actually progressing with the Battle Tree, its become my favourite after game challenge, even exceeding the Battle Frontier. I had a streak of 37 for my highest so far. But I'm loving teaming up with different characters, so far I've got Wally, Grimsley and Plumeria.
I wonder if certain versions/trainer numbers have predisposition toward certain trainers. I have yet to see any of those 3 trainers despite having gotten to 50 in both singles and doubles. Instead, my opponents have been alternating between Cynthia and Mallow, both of whom I've faced something like 5 or 6 times each. During my doubles streak, I faced Cynthia 3 times, for crying out loud. The only other (non-legend) special trainers I've encountered have been Guzma, Dexio, and Colress once each.

gliscor&yanmega

I wonder if certain versions/trainer numbers have predisposition toward certain trainers. I have yet to see any of those 3 trainers despite having gotten to 50 in both singles and doubles. Instead, my opponents have been alternating between Cynthia and Mallow, both of whom I've faced something like 5 or 6 times each. During my doubles streak, I faced Cynthia 3 times, for crying out loud. The only other (non-legend) special trainers I've encountered have been Guzma, Dexio, and Colress once each.
Some are version exclusives. I imagine the odds to get one over the other is probably the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.