• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Some are version exclusives. I imagine the odds to get one over the other is probably the same.

Aw no, please don't tell me Wally is exclusive to Sun and Cynthia is to Moon (they were revealed together). I really want to team up with Cynthia and Mallow too.

I've encountered Wally twice, and also encoutered Sina as well as Anabel and Kiawe in a double battle, but just lost to them.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

Aw no, please don't tell me Wally is exclusive to Sun and Cynthia is to Moon (they were revealed together). I really want to team up with Cynthia and Mallow too.

I've encountered Wally twice, and also encoutered Sina as well as Anabel and Kiawe in a double battle, but just lost to them.

I haven't seen any fansites give any details on it. But from what I have seen on forums:
Sina, Plumeria, and Kiawe are exclusive to Sun whereas Dexio, Guzma, and Mallow are exclusive to Moon.

So Cynthia should be in Sun as well, Mallow wont be though.

I haven't seen any fansites give any details on it. But from what I have seen on forums:
Sina, Plumeria, and Kiawe are exclusive to Sun whereas Dexio, Guzma, and Mallow are exclusive to Moon.

So Cynthia should be in Sun as well, Mallow wont be though.

Aw, are you telling me my second-favourite captain can't be challenged in my game? Awww... I guess at least I haven't been trying to get him....

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Speaking about Battle Tree trainers, I was disappointed that Guzma's theme didn't play when you battle him. I know that Team Skull has been disbanded and Guzma became a regular trainer but I want to hear his theme when I battle him at least (outside of Wi-fi Battles and custom music, of course).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't know if anyone cares about any of the Festival Plaza missions besides the type match-up tests, but I did discover a pattern for the "Find ___-type Enthusiasts!" missions: For every batch of guests, about 95% of the time, there will be only two of them who like Pokémon of that type. This means that once you've found the second one, you should run back to the lady at the gate to the castle to swap out the guests. By resetting the guests in this way, I have almost always gotten 5 stars each time I've done this mission.

I'm also trying to compile a list of things characters say that you should talk to with "Show off muscles!," as it is the shortest mission with 6 FC per star and thus the quickest way to get FC. Essentially, you need to find guests who are exclaiming something positive, like "Yahoo!" or "Nice!" I've discovered "Unbelievable!" and...something I can't remember off the topof my head right now, but it's three words long...are valid phrases. However, laughs ("Hahaha!" or "Heehee!") are not, and neither are greetings ("Alola!" or "Merci!"). There are a few phrases that do not end in an exclamation point but are valid too. I'll make note of them when I see them so I don't forget.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't know if anyone cares about any of the Festival Plaza missions besides the type match-up tests, but I did discover a pattern for the "Find ___-type Enthusiasts!" missions: For every batch of guests, about 95% of the time, there will be only two of them who like Pokémon of that type. This means that once you've found the second one, you should run back to the lady at the gate to the castle to swap out the guests. By resetting the guests in this way, I have almost always gotten 5 stars each time I've done this mission.

I'm also trying to compile a list of things characters say that you should talk to with "Show off muscles!," as it is the shortest mission with 6 FC per star and thus the quickest way to get FC. Essentially, you need to find guests who are exclaiming something positive, like "Yahoo!" or "Nice!" I've discovered "Unbelievable!" and...something I can't remember off the topof my head right now, but it's three words long...are valid phrases. However, laughs ("Hahaha!" or "Heehee!") are not, and neither are greetings ("Alola!" or "Merci!"). There are a few phrases that do not end in an exclamation point but are valid too. I'll make note of them when I see them so I don't forget.

Have you ever managed to get full stars on the Machamp mission? If they show up (as in, not just being invisible which sometimes happens) and I can actually join them (as in, no 'Failed to joined mission' errors) I find it's generally fastest to join Inverse Type Matchups when they're at roughly 2 minutes remaining. I still have sufficient time to get full individual score in 2 minutes and if I can join a mission it's often the case that others can too, so missions that I join tend to do better in the total score than missions that I host.

Another problem I have with the "Only talk to these kinds of people" missions is the lag in the sprites spawning. If I talk to everyone in a Matchup mission the next ones spawn while I'm still talking, but with something like Machamp I keep on having to walk slowly just to wait for sprites to spawn.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Have you ever managed to get full stars on the Machamp mission? If they show up (as in, not just being invisible which sometimes happens) and I can actually join them (as in, no 'Failed to joined mission' errors) I find it's generally fastest to join Inverse Type Matchups when they're at roughly 2 minutes remaining. I still have sufficient time to get full individual score in 2 minutes and if I can join a mission it's often the case that others can too, so missions that I join tend to do better in the total score than missions that I host.

Another problem I have with the "Only talk to these kinds of people" missions is the lag in the sprites spawning. If I talk to everyone in a Matchup mission the next ones spawn while I'm still talking, but with something like Machamp I keep on having to walk slowly just to wait for sprites to spawn.

I understand about the advantages of the type match-up tests: They're high-yield and consistent. I just get sick of them when I'd see nothing else get picked, which is why I turned to the other ones.

I can consistently get at least 4 stars with Machamp, with 5 stars about 75% of the time. I only get less if I'm experimenting and seeing which phrases work and which ones don't.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Okay, this Rotom PokeDex is becoming really annoying now that I'm well over a month in.

Every time I turn the game on, it repeats the exact same lines of dialogue over and over and over and over...I don't miss Hau, I can visit him whenever I want! We already caught all of the Ultra Beasts! I don't know what Lillie is doing! And no, there is no Rotom Z-Crystal!

I mean...This is absolutely worthless. It's got to be the weakest touch screen tool in the entire DS/3DS line of games. It offers so little in the way of utility and gameplay choice compared to things like the Poketch, C-Gear, DexNav, or the PlayNav (PSS/ST/Amie). Even as a map, the quest markers stop appearing when you finish the main story, and it doesn't track things like the little Poke-Dex missions, Zygarde Cell locations, Eevee Trainer locations, or any other sidequests. And its also incredibly easy to miss Poke-Finder Spots because you really need to be standing in an exact location for the prompt to appear.

Just.....What happened.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I understand about the advantages of the type match-up tests: They're high-yield and consistent. I just get sick of them when I'd see nothing else get picked, which is why I turned to the other ones.

I can consistently get at least 4 stars with Machamp, with 5 stars about 75% of the time. I only get less if I'm experimenting and seeing which phrases work and which ones don't.

I guess I should practice them a lot more then. I haven't managed to get scores above 9 for the Machamp mission at all, sometimes I get like 5 and sometimes I get 8 or 9. It looks as if it's random how many spawns there are that you have to talk to before switching visitors. It feels like it is really hard to get that maximum individual score with Machamp even when I host, while with (Inverse) Type Matchups you only need 16 to get max individual score (my record score is 23 for comparison, both with Inverse and with Regular). Machamp mission is two minutes, but if I join an Inverse Type Matchup mission with 2 minutes remaining I can still get maximum individual score, and will most likely get a better total score.

Machamp also is so big that it prevents a lot of the spawns, as the NPC's don't spawn if you stand too close, and you can't even walk slow with Machamp. It's very difficult to maximise the spawning speed of the NPC's with Machamp.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Okay, this Rotom PokeDex is becoming really annoying now that I'm well over a month in.

Every time I turn the game on, it repeats the exact same lines of dialogue over and over and over and over...I don't miss Hau, I can visit him whenever I want! We already caught all of the Ultra Beasts! I don't know what Lillie is doing! And no, there is no Rotom Z-Crystal!

I mean...This is absolutely worthless. It's got to be the weakest touch screen tool in the entire DS/3DS line of games. It offers so little in the way of utility and gameplay choice compared to things like the Poketch, C-Gear, DexNav, or the PlayNav (PSS/ST/Amie). Even as a map, the quest markers stop appearing when you finish the main story, and it doesn't track things like the little Poke-Dex missions, Zygarde Cell locations, Eevee Trainer locations, or any other sidequests. And its also incredibly easy to miss Poke-Finder Spots because you really need to be standing in an exact location for the prompt to appear.

Just.....What happened.

To be fair, it was designed to be a companion during the story. There's not much more it can do once you beat the game. Personally, I found the map quite helpful in general. I didn't quit like it blatantly telling you were to go, as it kind of ruined the surprise whenever a story event would happen, but just being able to see where you were in relation to everything else was nice.

Speaking of the RotomDex, I must admit that I am disappointed with the way they used it as a character. There was a lot a potential to actually make it a character in the story, maybe even turn it into surrogate speaker for the playable character. There's was one part where it appears to greet Samson Oak, and that was pretty cool, but that's pretty much the only time it ever had any sort of interaction beyond giving random tips on the bottom screen.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
I tried to change my character's outfit yesterday for some image change but I noticed something different in my character's walking movement. I see that my male character's walking animation is somewhat similar to a female's walking (emphasizing more on hip movement than shoulder movement). I tried to change from Collared Shirt to a dark colored Pinstripe one to attempt to cover up the animation but the same movement is still noticeable. I gave up and changed back to my old outfit (dark red polo shirt) and it covers it up really well. Even so, I still cannot unsee the movement in my player character. Took me a while before I completely ignore the somewhat irrelevant motion.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Huh, that's a interesting. I'd like to see if I can trigger it myself, unless it's already happened.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Huh, that's a interesting. I'd like to see if I can trigger it myself, unless it's already happened.

I know the player character walks is been that way, hence the "weird" walking animation people talk about since the demo. I only noticed the hip movement at that time.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I guess I should practice them a lot more then. I haven't managed to get scores above 9 for the Machamp mission at all, sometimes I get like 5 and sometimes I get 8 or 9. It looks as if it's random how many spawns there are that you have to talk to before switching visitors. It feels like it is really hard to get that maximum individual score with Machamp even when I host, while with (Inverse) Type Matchups you only need 16 to get max individual score (my record score is 23 for comparison, both with Inverse and with Regular). Machamp mission is two minutes, but if I join an Inverse Type Matchup mission with 2 minutes remaining I can still get maximum individual score, and will most likely get a better total score.

Machamp also is so big that it prevents a lot of the spawns, as the NPC's don't spawn if you stand too close, and you can't even walk slow with Machamp. It's very difficult to maximise the spawning speed of the NPC's with Machamp.

I suck at the Machamp muscles mission. I'm glad though that I can usually get 20-22 with both styles of the type-matchup missions because as others have stated, they are high yield and popular, so they are a major factor in why my Festival Plaza ranking as of today is near 300.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I'd have to look into which phrases work and which ones don't before I can figure any meaningful patterns as to how many trainers to talk to for each lap around Festival Plaza. I feel like I've figured out most of them but that there are a few that aren't obvious at all that can only be determined through trial and error. In general though, I find 3 to 5 trainers per lap that get me points. It may be a fixed 5 per lap (or even more) and that there are some phrases I don't realize are valid.

Based on my experience, the game determines spawn points ahead of time and will block me from running to any locations where the game intends to spawn someone. That is, there is something of an invisible wall, or perhaps an invisible pole. If I find my character or Machamp running up against nothing in particular, that's my sign that someone will spawn there. In general though, regardless of the mission type, if the next person hasn't spawned yet, I'll stay where I am and watch the next portion carefully. You can't talk to a trainer until the flash around them has ended anyway.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Has anyone else seen players on Festival Plaza that are cheating in the missions? I've seen a player a few times now in Inverse Type Matchups that gets 666 individual score. I'm pretty sure 23 is the maximum physically possible, perhaps 24 if you're extremely lucky with the type combinations that are asked, but definitely not higher than 24.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah, I've seen some who begin at 1,000. They throw off my records, but I don't mind because it guarantees a full 5 stars for the group score.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
So they revealed some more info about the Pokebank update today, specifically about transferring from the VC versions of Red/Blue/Yellow. If we're gonna get Pokemon with "usually" hidden abilities, there's a chance that will calm everyone's worries about Fissure No Guard Machamp. Maybe they mean "always a hidden ability unless the Pokemon doesn't have one".

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Has anyone else seen players on Festival Plaza that are cheating in the missions? I've seen a player a few times now in Inverse Type Matchups that gets 666 individual score. I'm pretty sure 23 is the maximum physically possible, perhaps 24 if you're extremely lucky with the type combinations that are asked, but definitely not higher than 24.

I've seen one of those people. His/her character's name was even spelled out in a way to bypass the swear filters so that they say something offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.