• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Features/Mechanics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
So they revealed some more info about the Pokebank update today, specifically about transferring from the VC versions of Red/Blue/Yellow. If we're gonna get Pokemon with "usually" hidden abilities, there's a chance that will calm everyone's worries about Fissure No Guard Machamp. Maybe they mean "always a hidden ability unless the Pokemon doesn't have one".
We'll have to wait and see, but from what Serebii says it sounds like it will be really hard to get what I want (a Sheer Force Jolly or Adamant Tauros with Body Slam), unless there is a way to soft reset. I almost wish it was just plain not possible rather than being teased with the possibility.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Huh, I discovered a glitch: If you use U-Turn on Golisopod, and Emergency Exit kicks in, Golisopod will switch out, but you won't. It might be more specific, but I don't know. Here's the Battle Video where I saw it happen:

JXCG-WWWW-WWW4-URKH (Happens on Turn 6)

Last edited:

Dr. Eeviil

I understand about the advantages of the type match-up tests: They're high-yield and consistent. I just get sick of them when I'd see nothing else get picked, which is why I turned to the other ones.

I can consistently get at least 4 stars with Machamp, with 5 stars about 75% of the time. I only get less if I'm experimenting and seeing which phrases work and which ones don't.

My favorite one is the Cross-Cultural Communications one. I can usually get 20 coins even if nobody else joins. The majority of the visitors are non-English for me. Except one guy which really pissed my off, he said "Bon Appetit" but then claimed to be playing in English. They shouldn't use loan words for this kind of thing. I usually cycle around between Type matchups, CCC and Break Boulders Quickly.

And speaking of the PGL, I've taken a look at the Friendly Competitions and it's pretty disappointing. The selection criteria seem to be lacking a lot. I was hoping for things like a Steel Challenge, where you could only use Steel types. Or best of all, I wanted to recreate the Little Cup from Stadium 2 using the whole national 'dex.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Okay, this Rotom PokeDex is becoming really annoying now that I'm well over a month in.

Every time I turn the game on, it repeats the exact same lines of dialogue over and over and over and over...I don't miss Hau, I can visit him whenever I want! We already caught all of the Ultra Beasts! I don't know what Lillie is doing! And no, there is no Rotom Z-Crystal!

I mean...This is absolutely worthless. It's got to be the weakest touch screen tool in the entire DS/3DS line of games. It offers so little in the way of utility and gameplay choice compared to things like the Poketch, C-Gear, DexNav, or the PlayNav (PSS/ST/Amie). Even as a map, the quest markers stop appearing when you finish the main story, and it doesn't track things like the little Poke-Dex missions, Zygarde Cell locations, Eevee Trainer locations, or any other sidequests. And its also incredibly easy to miss Poke-Finder Spots because you really need to be standing in an exact location for the prompt to appear.

Just.....What happened.

I so agree. I hated it moments after recieving it. Such a waste for the lower touch screen and all the dialogue is cringeworthy.

........ Can we rip out the Rotom and install a National Dex instead?

FowTech95

Random Passerby
I so agree. I hated it moments after recieving it. Such a waste for the lower touch screen and all the dialogue is cringeworthy.

I feel that the Rotom Dex's potential is wasted. There's so such to do with Rotom, such as setting custom checkpoints and more, but he became just a talking Town Map bearing little significance especially in post-game. I'm only talking about the touch screen Rotom, not the Dex entirely. What's good about the Rotom Dex is the entry registration tracking and access to the Festival Plaza.

I agree that the National Dex should be back but only until you complete the regional Dex, just like when they did in Emerald. In that way, you have motivation to Dexing rather than expanding with just an incomplete regional Dex. The absence of the Pokemon Bank really had me complete the Alolan Dex and I had fun doing that. But having no National Dex really lost my motivation to actively breed and trade.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
My favorite one is the Cross-Cultural Communications one. I can usually get 20 coins even if nobody else joins. The majority of the visitors are non-English for me. Except one guy which really pissed my off, he said "Bon Appetit" but then claimed to be playing in English. They shouldn't use loan words for this kind of thing. I usually cycle around between Type matchups, CCC and Break Boulders Quickly.

And speaking of the PGL, I've taken a look at the Friendly Competitions and it's pretty disappointing. The selection criteria seem to be lacking a lot. I was hoping for things like a Steel Challenge, where you could only use Steel types. Or best of all, I wanted to recreate the Little Cup from Stadium 2 using the whole national 'dex.

For me, there doesn't seem to be any consistency with "Cross-Cultural Communications." I usually see 4 to 6 people with foreign language phrases per lap, but when someone started it up last night, the mission was at 2 minutes remaining and I could only get 5. I finished three laps during that time, with 2 people, 2 people, and 1 person. It is something I'll sometimes pick, however.

I was looking to see if there are any generation-specific Friendly Competitions as a starting criterion, but yeah, there isn't that much to pick from, frankly. But I'm an outside-the-box thinker, and given free reign, I'd make really strange rules and such.

I think it was cute. But that's the thing with exposition fairies--they're not very well-liked in the west. However, I feel Rotom was a waste of a character. There should be more interaction between Rotom and other characters. At least let Rotom speak for the player characters the way Mario's partners in the RPGs do or the fairies for Link.

Dr. Eeviil

For me, there doesn't seem to be any consistency with "Cross-Cultural Communications." I usually see 4 to 6 people with foreign language phrases per lap, but when someone started it up last night, the mission was at 2 minutes remaining and I could only get 5. I finished three laps during that time, with 2 people, 2 people, and 1 person. It is something I'll sometimes pick, however.

I was doing CCC a couple times today. I got a low of 6 points per lap, up to one lap I got 13. I live in California, and I seem to get more people speaking Japanese than anything else, then Korean and Chinese. Maybe only a couple each game speaking French or Spanish, and about one per week speaking Italian or German.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I also live in California, but I've never had luck like yours. Maybe it's based on the time of day.

Dr. Eeviil

I also live in California, but I've never had luck like yours. Maybe it's based on the time of day.

Could be the VIPs. A deliberately chose most of them from furrin' language versions.

I'm getting annoyed with the visitors in the plaza though. For a tiny little while I was getting a lot of 40 coin questions, and even a 60 and a 90 coin. Now though, I'm back to the stinkin' 4 & 6 coin questions. I guess the 4000 coin bump from the global mission will help though.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Could be the VIPs. A deliberately chose most of them from furrin' language versions.

I'm getting annoyed with the visitors in the plaza though. For a tiny little while I was getting a lot of 40 coin questions, and even a 60 and a 90 coin. Now though, I'm back to the stinkin' 4 & 6 coin questions. I guess the 4000 coin bump from the global mission will help though.

I've never ever gotten that much FC for a single question. I think the most I've reached is 30 FC for an 'I want to meet!' one. But I usually get 3 FC for those, 1 FC if given by VIP's.

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
The most I think I've gotten ever was 20FC a question, usually it's just 1-5FC. I make most of my FC bank off the missions.

And trying to find a five-star dye house is the worst thing ever.

gliscor&yanmega

I feel you get least FC if you don't go online/game sync for a while. Notice it a bit. Usually later in the day after syncing it goes back to max FC.

I seem to often get people who want to meet someone which gives 30 if you give them a good person.

I would assume you can get more than 30 from using the Fortune Tent if they tell the right fortune(90 sounds pretty high though).

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
My relative actually asked me the same question about guests giving fewer FCs than usual. I determined that it had to do with being offline for too long. If I make sure to go online and do like a couple of wonder trades, say 2-3 times a day, I never have an issue with getting fewer FCs than normal.

Regarding I want to meet questions, all you have to do to satisfy the guest is to refer them to a guest whose rank in whatever subject they're asking for is No.10 or better. That's all there is to it.

The correct fortune to get for bonuses from satisfying Plaza guests is "... luck in Festival Plaza. Decent luck multiplies the value by 2, Good Luck by 3, and Pretty Good Luck by 4.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
My relative actually asked me the same question about guests giving fewer FCs than usual. I determined that it had to do with being offline for too long. If I make sure to go online and do like a couple of wonder trades, say 2-3 times a day, I never have an issue with getting fewer FCs than normal.

Do you know if the other person not having been online for a while has any effect, in the case of VIPs? No one on my Friend List has played Pokémon Sun or Moon in weeks, or at least Festival Plaza. Most of them tried Festival Plaza the day the game came out, then moved on.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Out of curiosity- did anyone rename their festival plaza when they got the chance?

I got so tired of repetitive tasks and talking to Sophocles that I named mine Dank Dungeon out of spite :D

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Regarding I want to meet questions, all you have to do to satisfy the guest is to refer them to a guest whose rank in whatever subject they're asking for is No.10 or better. That's all there is to it.

I've been trying this for a while now, but the FC rewards seem very random. I've even directed them to whoever has No.1 and still only get like 3 FC sometimes, and other times I redirect them to someone of No.5 and then I get 8 FC, or sometimes 11 FC. I can't find any pattern or logic in it. It feels like that for a lot of them. It's not that I really mind, I've got over 10,000 FC currently in stock with no real idea on what to do with it anyway.

Dr. Eeviil

I've been trying this for a while now, but the FC rewards seem very random. I've even directed them to whoever has No.1 and still only get like 3 FC sometimes, and other times I redirect them to someone of No.5 and then I get 8 FC, or sometimes 11 FC. I can't find any pattern or logic in it. It feels like that for a lot of them. It's not that I really mind, I've got over 10,000 FC currently in stock with no real idea on what to do with it anyway.

Assuming you don't want to spend them on outfits (some items of clothing can cost up to 4,000 coins), then you can spiff up your plaza. Look for people with high Plaza rank, then ask them if they know any good facilities. So far I've scored three 5 star Treasure Hunt booths and one 4 star Big Dreams booth. I've gotten two dozen bottlecaps and four golden bottlecaps. I don't like the Gold Rush booth though, what the heck do I need with a Big Nugget? I've already got more poke-bucks than I can spend. I've collected a total of over 22,000 FC, and I've got a couple thousand to spend currently.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Assuming you don't want to spend them on outfits (some items of clothing can cost up to 4,000 coins), then you can spiff up your plaza. Look for people with high Plaza rank, then ask them if they know any good facilities. So far I've scored three 5 star Treasure Hunt booths and one 4 star Big Dreams booth. I've gotten two dozen bottlecaps and four golden bottlecaps. I don't like the Gold Rush booth though, what the heck do I need with a Big Nugget? I've already got more poke-bucks than I can spend. I've collected a total of over 22,000 FC, and I've got a couple thousand to spend currently.

Currently have two 5-star Treasure Hunts, two 5-star Rare Kitchens, and three different bouncy houses (Clink-Clunk 5-star, others 4-star). I don't really want anything different except upgrading the bouncy houses to the 5-star variants, but finding people with those in front is pretty much impossible. I've been looking for the last month-and-a-half and still haven't found them.

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Do you know if the other person not having been online for a while has any effect, in the case of VIPs? No one on my Friend List has played Pokémon Sun or Moon in weeks, or at least Festival Plaza. Most of them tried Festival Plaza the day the game came out, then moved on.

I think so, yes. If one of my VIPs have not been online for a couple of days, I did notice that the coins that they give me does go down. I personally don't have to worry about that often though since my VIP list is full and I primarily select VIPs based on those who have certain high stats.

Out of curiosity- did anyone rename their festival plaza when they got the chance?

I got so tired of repetitive tasks and talking to Sophocles that I named mine Dank Dungeon out of spite :D

I named mine Ayla's Playpen. I still enjoy Festival Plaza and I find it a nice little play area.

I think you and/or those you're satisfying being offline contributes to why FC rewards seem lower than they should. I would advise making sure you go online at least once or twice a day and see if that helps.

Currently have two 5-star Treasure Hunts, two 5-star Rare Kitchens, and three different bouncy houses (Chip-Munk 5-star, others 4-star). I don't really want anything different except upgrading the bouncy houses to the 5-star variants, but finding people with those in front is pretty much impossible. I've been looking for the last month-and-a-half and still haven't found them.

I rank up in my Festival Plaza quite frequently and a lot of people on my VIP list have high Plaza ranks as well. If you'd like, I'll let you know if I stumble across any 5-star bouncy houses so you can get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.