• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamin

Couldn't agree more! And the BG animation and movements honestly I wanted to cry when I witnessed it all for myself when I started Pokemon X. It was all too glorious for words!! So glorious that usually in games I turn the battle scenes off cause it just takes up time and I was over watching the moves happen. Now I hate to pass up watching my Noivern take the first move and completely KO an opponent with one of his moves. Again, glorious so I give props for the 3D animation!

The Yveltal animations are just amazing! I love when it shoots out the red beam!

To the person who likes the Mr Mime animation, I find it insanely annoying. I just want to punch it. Some Pokemon have gotten horrid designs in 3D but others have worked out well. Mystery Dungeon graphics in Pokemon Amie would have been amazing.

This game is really great, I can even barely go back to pokemon battles in the previous games without thinking how good they look with this new style. Many complain about the game not looking all 3D because of the "overview" they gave us, but if they made it completely 3D people will complain about it not having that "overview" so people will never be satisfied.

TattooedFox

For me, the battle scenes are the most improved part of the series with Pokemon X & Y. I started playing Pokemon White after already finishing Y and the difference is astonishing. The new battles really give personality to the Pokemon. I really like the animation on some of them too, Mr Mimes' made me chuckle (even though I'm not a fan of him) and Volbeat bouncing from side to side like he's dancing is very cool. Also, Mankeys' was really good too, bouncing on the spot like a boxer with its nose twitching lol.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I liked that only some parts of the world are in 3D, having only "important" areas like that actually improved the game for me. Glittering cave is amazing. I wonder if they'll ever go to full 3D game

It would require some incredibly heavy optimization for them to allow 3D everywhere, there are already slight framerate drops here and there, so I wouldn't be surprised if we never see an entire game in 3D. Unless Nintendo keeps the 3D for their next handheld.

Evil Tim

Finally when Pokemon spits fire/ water it comes out of its mouth. Also I like fainting animations. It is much better than falling through the floor. But why they kept those circles under battling Pokemon? In some places (like battle with champion or on the road to Perfume Palace) there are no circles.

Fieora

I found ninetails in a safari today, and wow... just wow O,o
I loved it before, but seeing the way they've animated it now O,o I LOVE it ^^
I also think that Barboach is adorable now too ^^

Cerex

The new graphics are great, but they are far from perfect. I have no doubt that it took a lot of work to produce this good of quality though. Going forward I hope they expand on the great work that they've done with X and Y. Like the animations, but switching to three dimensional moving characters does make some animations more odd than others. For example I've noticed that there are only two basic battle animation attacks. One for Sp. Atks, Atk., and Status. For the most part these work fine, but every now and again the execution doesn't really match up with the Pokemon. It's minor but when it does happen it sticks out. Like Woodhammer, where the Pokemon performs its Atk execution animation and just rotates in its circle 90 degrees. Sp. Atks in general fare better, but for me there most annoying part is that "beam" comes have a tendency to originate a few "feet" from the Pokemon.

For the next game I think it would be cool (if possibe) if all types of battles where 3D (like double/tripe battles) all cut scenes where 3D, and that there be more unique places where the 3D was used

Dont think the game should be 100% 3D but I think they can use it a little more :)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
For the next game I think it would be cool (if possibe) if all types of battles where 3D (like double/tripe battles) all cut scenes where 3D, and that there be more unique places where the 3D was used

Dont think the game should be 100% 3D but I think they can use it a little more :)

Double and triple battles already have some stutter, highly doubt they can throw 3D into the mix.

Lugar

Has anyone else seen Archeops?Is 3d model just made me laugh he's struggling to stay in the air,moving all over the place.Oh and i hate Gigalith's mouth,it looks like a muppet.

Last edited:

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Has anyone else seen Archeops?Is 3d model just made me laugh he's struggling to stay in the air,moving all over the place.

considering how its Dex entries mention that it runs better than it flies, I'm not surprised

Gizmoa

I have to say, as a game programmer, I can seriously appreciate what Game Freak did with the 3D models. How they avoided faceting is amazing, and the long skinny bits look great (both are very hard to deal with). I've heard some people get stuttering etc, but I haven't been able to get that to happen. It may be related to additional hardware settings or variations, I'm not sure. I have a first run USA blue 3DS. I can understand how pushing the limit of special effects, animation rigs and polygon counts could under the most extreme conditions cause a bit of frame rate interference, but I'm honestly surprised that I don't see it happening.

As to the lack of Stereoscopic 3D all over, I can think of several reasons for this. The first is that you can't easily hide a well shaded 2D plain version of an object in the scene like you can normally, That means full 3D models for EVERYTHING. Second, if everything is a 3D model, you have a lower limit of polygons per object, and that means they don't look as good, or you end up limiting how many things show on the screen and it ends up a sparse world. Third, if this game was started before GameFreak learned about the 3DS, they would have to redo anything that didn't account for stereoscopic 3D and since the optimizing tricks I mentioned earlier get used most in over worlds, it would be a pita to redo everything. Fourth, every region that pushed the graphics processing limits would need to be carefully optimized in order to make it safe to run in stereoscopic 3D. This is very time consuming and would have pushed the release date back by quite a bit. And finally, for all the hassle that goes into making flawless stereoscopic 3D, people have to turn it off at least part of the time to give their eyes a break, and chances are they will do it in the over world... so why put a bunch of development resources into something people don't really care about, instead put them in the parts people want to see, the battles!

Remember, when it gets to a high level of quality, throwing more people and money at a game won't help... and even adding more time is limited in the results it ives. What it really takes is the time of specific individuals with incredible talent, and that is always a highly limited resource.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Status
Not open for further replies.