• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Plus it's animated sprite shows it struggling to stay in the air.

I love it's model though, it looks silly and amusing like Eelektross's personally.

Eelektross looks so awesome, small, really small, but awesome. It's old B/W sprite annoyed me, especially its back sprite where it felt too big and rocked back and fourth across the screen.
Maybe next gen they'll get its size "just right".
Shame Huntail could not have moved in a similar fashion.

I don't mind megagengar, the shiny is awesome and megalakazam's legs do look akward. About charizard i also agree, one of my favorite megas is charizard Y.

Archeops is ok IMO, he's the 1st bird so i don't mind him looking like how he does.

I think its because I liked the old Gengar so much, and its mega is such a striking change. Normally once I've battled using one I always start to warm up to hated designs.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
Chesnaught looks really dumb when he uses Wood Hammer. I've never been clear on what Wood Hammer is supposed to be--is it a tail attack? A chop? A body-slam? It seems like Chesnaught doesn't know, either--it just turns one way, and attacks by turning 180 degrees the opposite direction. It looks clunky and out-of-place next to its other, fluid animations.

Pokeball effects are only present on wifi and when catching a pokemon. This sucks, that's like the only reason i use other balls is because of the effects of releasing a pokemon

I disagree. I refused to use Timer Balls and dreaded using Net Balls because of their release animations.

R_N

Chesnaught looks really dumb when he uses Wood Hammer. I've never been clear on what Wood Hammer is supposed to be--is it a tail attack? A chop? A body-slam? It seems like Chesnaught doesn't know, either--it just turns one way, and attacks by turning 180 degrees the opposite direction. It looks clunky and out-of-place next to its other, fluid animations.

I disagree. I refused to use Timer Balls and dreaded using Net Balls because of their release animations.

If it makes you feel better, that's the animation for wood hammer for everyone.
It is baffling bad in a game with otherwise nice move animations.

I'm pretty sure it's just bashing someone with the most logical, thickest part of the body. So...arms, mostly. I think Torterra does it with his tree?

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
If it makes you feel better, that's the animation for wood hammer for everyone.
It is baffling bad in a game with otherwise nice move animations.

I'm pretty sure it's just bashing someone with the most logical, thickest part of the body. So...arms, mostly. I think Torterra does it with his tree?

I always imagined it as their arms/legs turning in wood and smashing them into the opponent like a wooden mallet.

Starlightt

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
One thing I really like is how Kangaskhan's baby actually shows emotion now like when Kangaskhan faints. Unlike the previous games where it was lifeless. Also, GameFreak brought back Gengar's model animation from Pokémon Stadium.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
marill's amie animations are cute. she stripped me of my manhood lol anyway' i wish we could pick backgrounds for wifi battles. we already have the choice in music, why not background? but it's fine. all these little things i imagine could be in the next installment

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
marill's amie animations are cute. She stripped me of my manhood lol anyway' i wish we could pick backgrounds for wifi battles. We already have the choice in music, why not background? But it's fine. All these little things i imagine could be in the next installment

she stripped me of my manhood

I'm sorry... WHAT!?

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Plus it's animated sprite shows it struggling to stay in the air.

I love it's model though, it looks silly and amusing like Eelektross's personally.

oh yeah, forgot about eelektross. that's another one that entered my favorites with the model. In b/w he was meh but now...oh man, now he just looks so great. Now i know why he has levitate.
chestnaught's wood hammer is riddiculous. Abomasnow's is not much better. Some animations are truly lazy.

But despite all that, i'm still so amazed by the upgrade on the pokemon overall. This gen might not be as great as D/P/Pt in terms of an actually decent challenge or have a great storyline as b/w (which i still think this gen's story is as good as b/w's) but it's visually beautifull, just like masuda said the theme would be. Good jog GF, good job.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
They definitely did a very good job with the artstyle and graphics. The best Pokemon has looked IMO, I think it looks better than the sprites; Gen 5 was nice but you could tell the sprites were starting to look a bit 'eh'.

I'm just amazed that they created unique models, textures and animations for every single Pokemon.

Making animations is much easier with 3D models than it is with sprites. Each frame in a sprite animation has to be done from scratch, with 3D modelling the program itself handles the inbetween frames, you need only put your model in the poses you want.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Crystal was actually the only Pokemon game to have each frame of a sprite animation done from scratch; the sprite animations in the games that followed all use tweening, which is a lot like the approach to 3D animation you mentioned. I still think that the 3D models get off a lot easier than the sprites did with this approach, though, because they don't have the same constraints as sprites. The sprites get their pixels smushed together and loads of them don't much other than bob their head or move ever so slightly.

Aren't B/W the only ones that use tweening? Crystal, Emerald and D/P/P/HG/SS are true animations, not just distortions.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Aren't B/W the only ones that use tweening? Crystal, Emerald and D/P/P/HG/SS are true animations, not just distortions.

BW's animation does its animation a lot differently because the sprites are sliced and parts are animated individually. BW uses a skeletal animation technique (bones).

Meanwhile, Emerald, DPPT, and HGSS only have two main sprites which are distorted, moved around, resized, etc. to show animation.

Crystal is the one that has actual frame by frame animation.

Curo

Water Trainer
I think the graphics are great. I wish I got a normal 3ds instead of an XL...the pixels are a little bit bigger, which ruins the smoothness of game :|

Ajduk

I think the graphics are great. I wish I got a normal 3ds instead of an XL...the pixels are a little bit bigger, which ruins the smoothness of game :|

I almost got the XL, but the guy that worked in the store convinced me not to and I am thankful for that :)

TRG

Haha I actually wish I had an XL since my hands are too big for my regular 3DS. xD

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
I dunno, I have a regular 3DS and an XL and I think X & Y look great on both. You definitely can notice pixels while playing on the XL, but it's not that annoying. I think the game scales up nicely. Pixelation is a little more noticeable during battles, but I still am not annoyed by it.

XXD17

Draco rex
A few things about the modified cries...

some were very good: serperior, samurott, zapdos, exploud, empoleon, zebstrika

yet others are pretty bad: pelipper, sceptile, tentacruel, infernape, charizard

I actually believe the 'DS-like' feel was intentional. When the visual style changes quite a bit, I think GF prioritised on making these games feel like a pokemon game, which explains all the references to other games and regions, and even taking a few ideas from them.

Santalune forest was quite similar to Viridian Forest in design, and is the only other place in all of pokemon where wild Pikachu are naturally found. Route 22 is an obvious reference to Kanto's own Route 22 which also led to Victory Road. The frickin' Kanto starters are given to you. Catching Furfrou at Parfum Palace was like the Farfetch'd puzzle in Ilex forest. Snorlax and the Pokéflute. Connecting cave filled with Zubat.

And all this is before the 2nd gym badge. For every new feature and dazzling spectacle like riding pokemon or Mega Evolution you have another throwback.

I especially loved this aspect of these games! Especially when mewtwo pulled out his original red and blue moveset, I nearly screamed!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.