• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

x0MoMusica0x

Take into consideration that its just the Pokeballs and nothing else in the corner. Something tells me that's all its gonna be, with the HP bar on the bottom screen as someone said. And think about it, look how the battles are, can you really see an HP bar being squeezed in there? Anyway, games look amazing. Pixelly on the PC, but when I saw the trailer on the eShop.....hot damn is it godly. Such a good progression, can't wait to play it.

It'll grow on me but I feel like the battle system is more like a spin-off than the main games. The sprites are part of Pokémon's charm and I really felt that Gen IV and V had finally found a style they were comfortable with keeping for the rest of the series. I love the overworld mind you and 3D is completely welcome here, I just wish the battles had stayed 2D.

i think that we're in for a big surprise in terms of everything. i love the team view thing (when you can see how many Poke your opponent have before ragequitting), but i didnt see anything for the HP bar. i'll be re-watching the trailer quite a few times, but im sure we'll all be posting if we see anything new

Chaos Rush

From what I can tell, the Pokemon aren't in exact proportion from one another which is probably due to the fact that this is the first time Pokemon is making 3d models for the 3DS.
Pretty sure all the Pokemon models are just cel-shaded versions of the Pokedex 3D models. The only reason why Pokedex 3D exists was just their way of showing us "look guys, we've made new models for all the Pokemon! No more Pokemon Stadium models ever again!"

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
Honestly...I think the 3D models are ugly. The proportions look wrong, the texturing looks bad...maybe they wouldn't have looked as bad if they weren't cell-shaded, but as is I really wish they stuck with sprites until the tech got good enough for this.

Liefesa

Travelling collector
Hopefully this will improve the battle interaction - pokemon moving to physically attack opponents, rather than using bite or scratch from a few metres away...

The world looks pretty so far. It will be interesting to see a more final version.

A couple of areas look a little empty at the moment...

Flame Mistress

Honestly...I think the 3D models are ugly. The proportions look wrong, the texturing looks bad...maybe they wouldn't have looked as bad if they weren't cell-shaded, but as is I really wish they stuck with sprites until the tech got good enough for this.

What's wrong with cel-shading? I love cel-shaded works, they look awesome to me.

PokeTimmy

Collector
I feel like I'm going to discover pokemon battling all over again - I literally cannot wait to transfer my almost-complete collection of pokemon over from my copy of White so I see what the diferent pokemon and moves look like in this new battling style.

I wonder how the battling scenes will account for size? If I play a bulbasaur versus a wailord, will my foe tower over the 3D battlefield? That would be excellent.

I'm also intrigued to see how pokemon look when they have low hp or faint - as sprites, their movements grew slower when they had low hp and their sprites disappeared when they fainted. Now, with the new 3D forms, will they appear bruised or dazed when they have low hp and actually topple over when they faint? Seems a bit darker.

Also, I'm curious to see how certain moves look that involve throwing projectials at your foe, like rock throw or rock tomb. In the games it always seemed odd for the projectials to just suddenly appear, and I'm curious to see how they handle it.

Finally, I'm excited to see how moves like Fly and Bounce look, to see whether you actually leave to battle screne now, or whether the camera view zooms out to follow your movements.

Jigglypuff5000

Think the cel-shading looks great myself.

And we all saw this blown up on our PC / Smartdevices - it's gonna look alot better in it's native 3DS [and 3D] form. :)

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
I think the graphics and all the details of the world are really good, and they're taking a step in the right direction.
it sort of reminds me of XD/Colloseum/PBR.

As a spriter i'll miss the sprites, but who knows, maybe they might have some in the game usable.

I'm also intrigued to see how pokemon look when they have low hp or faint - as sprites, their movements grew slower when they had low hp and their sprites disappeared when they fainted. Now, with the new 3D forms, will they appear bruised or dazed when they have low hp and actually topple over when they faint? Seems a bit darker.
That's what happened in XD/COlloseum actually, lol.
but i am also interested about how they will pull fainting in moves off. i notice at one point during the trailer it shows the pokemon getting CLOSE UP and attacking the opponent, so meh.

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Think the cel-shading looks great myself.

And we all saw this blown up on our PC / Smartdevices - it's gonna look alot better in it's native 3DS [and 3D] form. :)

Nothing would work better then Cellshading for pokemon, the other models were all sluggish I prefer this to the Pokedex 3d models they would look slow and would bore the crap out of people.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
i think that we're in for a big surprise in terms of everything. i love the team view thing (when you can see how many Poke your opponent have before ragequitting), but i didnt see anything for the HP bar. i'll be re-watching the trailer quite a few times, but im sure we'll all be posting if we see anything new
I guess. I'm just really going to miss the sprites. I'm sure fans will continue to make their own but still I feel like we've lost a big part of the main games.

What's wrong with cel-shading? I love cel-shaded works, they look awesome to me.
I do like the cell-shading, it looks nice. I just wish it hadn't replaced the sprites.

DSDark

Breeder
I'm just guessing that by the time we get to October things will look better. Sprites change during the course of development. So don't take any of the images for face value right now

ZeroX159

I just don't like the new art direction. Part of the reason I enjoyed the games was the that they were sprite based. On top of that, thanks to Nintendo's disposition to focus on a gimmick of a system instead of actual power the models are of a quality that wouldn't have been considered good even years ago

I have nothing against it being in the 3D model format I am actually really looking forward to it, I think it will enhance the feeling of being 'part of' the game. I am however saddened that we won't have sprites. Hopefully there will be a 3D PokéDex that has an onscreen pixel/sprite version of the new Pokémon for an in-game 2D effect.

I agree with posts commenting on hopefully having fluidity between areas, it's a small gripe, but I don't like the cut to black screen we have with the current games.

ShinyLucario

Team Gracidea <3
R.I.P
Sprites
1996 - 2012

Zero38

Self-made
They nailed it, It's cel shaded, they just need to smooth the edges, but they've got more than half a year, so I'm confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.