• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
I wonder if the npcs face will have some facial expressions on them because it'd be pretty stupid to have an npc saying an angry sentence with a happy/neutral face..

Do you play other rpgs, NPC in this type of models are standard doesn't really change that much.

STADIUM

Boulder Trainer
Am I the only one who doesn't like 3D graphics for battles? That means more complex and longer animations, which makes battles slower, like in Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution. I hope animations can be deactivated...

By the way, DPPt and BW/BW2 already had 3D graphics, but only for the scenario. Characters and in-battle, that was all sprites. So, in some way, the first Pokémon gen with 3D graphics was gen IV.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Am I the only one who doesn't like 3D graphics for battles? That means more complex and longer animations, which makes battles slower, like in Stadium/Colosseum/Battle Revolution. I hope animations can be deactivated...

By the way, DPPt and BW/BW2 already had 3D graphics, but only for the scenario. Characters and in-battle, that was all sprites. So, in some way, the first Pokémon gen with 3D graphics was gen IV.

There's always been a way to turn off the animations, dont worry!

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I wonder if we will see the trainer at all in battle, we can see it won't be there during battle, like in Pokemon Revolution. But I wonder if we will see them throw the Pokeballs or will they just come flying in.

And if they do use them in battle (which I hope they do), they will most likely be the same trainers on the map and look the same, but I would love if they were more realistic looking in battle, kinda of like how the map sprites for trainers now look like chibi thing, then once the battle starts we see a more realistic form to that map sprite. But I don't think that will happen, so I guess the cute unrealistic trainers is what I will have to get use to most of all. That and if the camera is in 3rd person on maps.

And if it is in 3rd person, I hope we have a town map kinda of thing, not just a world map, but a map for each town, the shows where things are. This may be the first pokemon game I buy the guide for if not.

ManhattanTheStarr

I can't get enough of this new battle scene style. The actual backgrounds rather than a bunch of meshed, moving colors is far prettier to look at. I just hope that instead of an icon on the bottom screen indicating what the weather is, we'll actually be able to see it continuously throughout the battle like in the console games.

Last edited:

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I can't get enough of this new battle scene style. The actual backgrounds rather than a bunch of meshed, moving colors is far prettier to look at. I just hope that instead of an icon on the bottom screen indicating what the weather is, we'll actually be able to see it continuously throughout the battle like in the console games.

It would be cool to see the droplets of rain fall on your pokes, or to see them get buffeted by sandstorm.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer
Yes actual weather animations! Very cool!
Or maybe even when Trick Room or Gravity maybe have it the area change in a appearance,
Maybe show psychic waves vibrating around the area.idk
Just more visuals please more visuals!

Unredemption

Just more visuals please more visuals!

Hopefully they'll abuse the potential of the 3DS with this one. However, that'll probably leave them with nothing outstanding for any future Pokemon generations on the 3DS (Gen VII perhaps).

I really hope they'll use real Pokemon models to depict the use of Fly and Surf in the overworld, instead of blue blobs or something similar. Perhaps we'll finally find out how Pidgey does his thing...

Chimchar15

You guys need to remember that gamefreak aren't miracle workers. Having specific models for every Pokemon that uses surc and fly might be too much. We have over 700 Pokemon now plus all the other stuff that's going into these games so we need to not go crazy with the 3D stuff. Plus remember that Diamond & Pearl didn't take full advantage of the DS so don't expect this first entry for the 3DS to fully push the boundaries of this system.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
You guys need to remember that gamefreak aren't miracle workers. Having specific models for every Pokemon that uses surc and fly might be too much. We have over 700 Pokemon now plus all the other stuff that's going into these games so we need to not go crazy with the 3D stuff. Plus remember that Diamond & Pearl didn't take full advantage of the DS so don't expect this first entry for the 3DS to fully push the boundaries of this system.

This has to be one of the most sensible posts that I've seen in a while. You don't get that too often around here.

Disgruntled Goat

has his moments
What people are failing to comprehend is that they chose to go with a style.

They always said that they'd only switch to 3D if they could keep it stylised. This was never going to be hyper realistic or have amazing graphics like other games on the system

This is true, but Pokemon Rumble had a great style. The Pokemon were cartoony (being based on toys) and the backgrounds looked *amazing*. So I'm sure they could make some kind of compromise.

Having said that, we've only seen pixellated 2D screencaps. The final game, viewed in 3D will surely look good.

Icon Zeph

I think it could be possible to have fly and surf animations for all the pokemon, but only if they make it so they don't have to add completely new models when they do. If for example your character turned into a Pidgey when you used fly instead of them adding completely new models with your character riding it, I don't see why it would call for new models, just compressed versions of the battle models already in the game.

BBtheASH

A Fairy Specialized Trainer
I think it could be possible to have fly and surf animations for all the pokemon, but only if they make it so they don't have to add completely new models when they do. If for example your character turned into a Pidgey when you used fly instead of them adding completely new models with your character riding it, I don't see why it would call for new models, just compressed versions of the battle models already in the game.

Seems plausible....I just hope Gamefreak doesn't cut any corners with this game.

That would be really cool. But, then you have to think about how many models would have to be created and whatnot. I don't know if it's a problem, but some Pokemon like Pidgey are just too small. :/

fahademon

Lugia Master
I'm surprised they're keeping grid-based movement in a 3D game.
@Demon:Maybe it might turn into an evolved form.For Small ones like Pidgey,it might turn into Pidgeot.Or not...since it might not be seen in the dex.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

It is really possible. The game obviously has all models of Pokemon. What they only need is the script/actions that the models will do. Besides, not all Pokemon can use Fly/Surf. But regardless, the real issue here, as mentioned several time before, is the Pokemon's size on the overworld.

Bird Pokemon such as Pidgey, Starly, or Swablu are too small to carry the trainer, or getting Wailord to surf on a 4x4 pond is just plain wrong.

There are two options here:
:: Adjust the size of the model so it would fit on the overworld similar to HGSS. I know those are sprites and this game utilizes 3D models, but it is still possible for the sake of giving Pokemon individual Fly/Surf actions even if it looks weird... or
:: They will give us a generic bird and whale/fish silhouette like they always did.

gpt11

It is really possible. The game obviously has all models of Pokemon. What they only need is the script/actions that the models will do. Besides, not all Pokemon can use Fly/Surf. But regardless, the real issue here, as mentioned several time before, is the Pokemon's size on the overworld.

Bird Pokemon such as Pidgey, Starly, or Swablu are too small to carry the trainer, or getting Wailord to surf on a 4x4 pond is just plain wrong.

:: Adjust the size of the model so it would fit on the overworld similar to HGSS. I know those are sprites and this game utilizes 3D models, but it is still possible for the sake of giving Pokemon individual Fly/Surf actions even if it looks weird... or
:: They will give us a generic bird and whale/fish silhouette like they always did.

whatever they choose i just hope when you fly you actually get to see the scenory while your flying there! reallygive you a birds eye view of the region

TWN

5326 7398 1244

Did you notice that in BW 1 and 2, HMs were not required at all to progress through the game? I wonder if Game Freak is becoming less dependent on them. Maybe we will just see Key Items that perform what the HMs did. For example, we might get a surf board instead of the Surf HM, scuba gear instead of Dive, a teleportation device instead of fly, etc. (just some random ideas off the top of my head). That might be the best option for Game Freak, because using silhouettes isn't as aesthetically acceptable in 3D as it is 2D--and I highly doubt they will give a unique overworld presence for each Pokémon.

I don't particularly like the idea of that because it kills a brilliant focus of the monsters themselves. On the other hand, it would allow trainers to focus on their teams for battling instead of having to carry HM slaves to go certain places.

Last edited:

Amasn

HMs should just not exist anymore I hate to think that my wailord can't swim or that my scyther can't cut without being taught

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.