• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

X&Y

Even though the fact the games are in 3d now is a huge step forward and all, I don't understand why they didn't use the same kind of pseudo-overhead view they used in colosseum and XD because the way they showed it in the trailer seems and little more confusing and dare I say not as appealing aesthetically.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Even though the fact the games are in 3d now is a huge step forward and all, I don't understand why they didn't use the same kind of pseudo-overhead view they used in colosseum and XD because the way they showed it in the trailer seems and little more confusing and dare I say not as appealing aesthetically.

who knows? they might.
most of what we say was the pokemon attacking, maybe while we are picking our attacks the camera angle might change.

Mock Z

Music Guru
The few games that have come out that have actually used Hi-Res images of Pokemon and sprites seem to present the Pokemon we've known before as being very...awkward. An memory comes to mind of when I got Colosseum, being so excited for "3D" Pokemon battling. What came as a disappointment was a lot of the attacks had very weak animations, the Pokemon animations themselves were very minimal and strange, and the Pokemon themselves looked extremely awkward. They didn't really look like Pokemon we came to know through hand-held device games with sprites. This is what I'm most concerned about with the new graphics of X & Y is that with 3D Hi-res Pokemon instead of sprites, battle sequences might not live up to an expectation that 3DS should.
Also, when Pokemon Black and White came out and they experimented a lot with camera angles, it was very fresh, new, and exciting. The game seemed a step higher than most of its very flat and boring predecessors (in terms of graphics), and the slight tilt of the camera instead of a top-down view was a good choice in my opinion. From what I've seen in the previews, it seems these new games will be more of a Third Person Camera Angle, which is radically different than past games. That seems unconventional to me, as I think it would be very hard to get a good idea for what areas look like. Plus, I feel like it will take away from the classic feel that is Pokemon.
Someone mentioned something about blurry backgrounds? Yeah, I noticed that too and it bugs the snot out of me. With more involved games like Kid Icarus and Starfox, the backgrounds don't need to be hugely sophisticated due to a gamer's focus being on what's happening, which is a lot. But in X & Y, if you're just walking around, the blurry background could definitely pull from the quality of the game.
Overall thoughts: Not looking forward to X & Y as much as I did with BnW.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Ya what was great about the camera in pokemon is that because of how it is, it is easy to see everything, you can see the pokemon center even if you are not right next to it.

With this one, if it is 3rd person, it would be hard to find everything at first, like with that big round town in black and white, I had the hardest time finding the pokemon center at first, when the other towns had it so I saw it coming.

I am hoping that the camera only changes when it has to and its not 3rd person all the time.

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to this, as it doesn't seem too similar to Colosseum and XD:GoD. The one thing that reminds me the most of those, though, is when the Pokemon entered the battles (the new starters, as they entered). It looked similar, if not identical to the Gamecube games. From what I've seen, though, the battles look to also be similar to the handheld games we currently have, but with 3D models and better camera angles.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just for navigation still, though I'm curious to see what the new Pokemon device will do. I've always hoped for an iPhone/iPad like thing, where it has a bunch of apps for different uses and has minigames... kinda like the Poketch but improved.
Also, I really love that you could play HGSS without using the right-hand buttons at all. I kinda wish they did that again.

Poketablet would be cool, I was thinking the same thing.

As for the touch screen, I think it should be like a combination of HGSS and DPPt. The default would be the menu like in HGSS, but the Poketablet would occupy the bottom screen like Poketch. Also, C Gear could be a Poketablet app.

AphoticVoid

Pokémon Trainer
I really do miss the high frame rates that the Pokémon games once had, for example: 3rd gen.

Cobalt_Latios

Not sure if this was discussed or not...

Character Image

Bottom right it mentions that footage is not final. I imagine it'll likely go through a few touch ups here and there. This was most likely done just to showcase the game, so I'm thinking they just needed something to show, pretty or not.

If it was discussed, then just ignore this.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Not sure if this was discussed or not...

Character Image

Bottom right it mentions that footage is not final. I imagine it'll likely go through a few touch ups here and there. This was most likely done just to showcase the game, so I'm thinking they just needed something to show, pretty or not.

If it was discussed, then just ignore this.

I think a lot of games end up saying that, just in case something changes, but if that mirror does mean customization then I hope it stays :p lol.

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
This is the breath of fresh air that Pokemon games need. Even i a massive fan of Pokemon have lost interest in the games because i felt they were finally getting a bit repetitive. The graphics in Pokemon X and Y are beautiful and the Pokemon look adorable. The fact that the Pokemon now respond when being hit or when attacking is fantastic, it puts the game above Battle Revolution for graphics in my opinion.

Rakurai

This is the breath of fresh air that Pokemon games need. Even i a massive fan of Pokemon have lost interest in the games because i felt they were finally getting a bit repetitive. The graphics in Pokemon X and Y are beautiful and the Pokemon look adorable. The fact that the Pokemon now respond when being hit or when attacking is fantastic, it puts the game above Battle Revolution for graphics in my opinion.

They've been animated for taking damage and attacking since the Stadium days.

I think the main improvement over PBR in terms of how the battles look is that the Pokemon are a lot faster when it comes to executing close range attacks. All of the Pokemon in PBR moved at the same sluggish pace when running up to attack.

Zero38

Self-made
They've been animated for taking damage and attacking since the Stadium days.

I think the main improvement over PBR in terms of how the battles look is that the Pokemon are a lot faster when it comes to executing close range attacks. All of the Pokemon in PBR moved at the same sluggish pace when running up to attack.

Only Gamefreak knows how to nail that and they did, I really never expected a cel shaded look, they surprised me. :}

Unredemption

In terms of camera angles, it might be interesting to see how a controllable camera works on the overworld, perhaps by using the L and R buttons since they're pretty much unutilised now. A full 3D game with a fixed camera perspective (like in the current games) wouldn't really maximise the potential that the 3D models have.

Overkill™

Snowflake!
I would like too note the fact that the main char is looking in a mirror at the beginning of the game. In loads of games, you can change clothing at your home's mirror. That said, I still doubt it'll be in this game. Don't think pokemon will creating char customization just yet. But still worth to keep in the back of your head

Also wondering what online options and mini games this games will have...

Oao

I would like too note the fact that the main char is looking in a mirror at the beginning of the game. In loads of games, you can change clothing at your home's mirror. That said, I still doubt it'll be in this game. Don't think pokemon will creating char customization just yet. But still worth to keep in the back of your head

Also wondering what online options and mini games this games will have...

It seems likely that there wont be character customization for the main part of the game but it could be possible for Wifi battles as it would make sense to differentiate one player from another.

As for online options hopefully online co-op. Maybe as an optional part of the story.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
It seems likely that there wont be character customization for the main part of the game but it could be possible for Wifi battles as it would make sense to differentiate one player from another.

As for online options hopefully online co-op. Maybe as an optional part of the story.

Why would it seem unluckly? I am just wondering is it just cause it has not been done before? Cause I really think it could happen in this game.

rocky505

Do you guys expect DW to come back or something new ?
Of course or at least someway to get Hidden Ability Pokemon like the Grottoes or a 3DS app. It would be unfair to the 6th gen pokes to not have hidden abilities.

Oao

Why would it seem unluckly? I am just wondering is it just cause it has not been done before? Cause I really think it could happen in this game.

Unlucky?

Thats not what I meant. Customization has been done before in 4th and 5th gen with the choice of the trainer types for Wifi. Its not customization with a lot of depth or freedom but at least the option is there for those who want.

I never said is wasn't an option, theres is evidence to suggest the opposite. But what is obvious is no one how much customization there is from just looking at a game trailer.
Who knows how much customization that GF could give the player in X an Y.

blue8arman

Castform Fanatic
Do you guys expect DW to come back or something new ?

Lets say that DW still online that time,for sure that DW will be still there and it will undergo again for a long maintenance for an upgrade fort X/Y.Of course,there will be a new feature only for X/Y,like a new area that can be visited when a Pokemon from X/Y is tuck-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.