• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Has anybody else seen a noticeable FPS drop with the 3D on in battles?

There are FPS drops with or without 3D on. The game is always rendering in 3D, adjusting the slider just changes whether you can see it or not.

The_Nanobots

One of many
There are FPS drops with or without 3D on. The game is always rendering in 3D, adjusting the slider just changes whether you can see it or not.
Yes, but I am pretty sure there is a good 10 FPS drop when the slider is up all the way during battles with 2 complicated pokemon being rendered at the same time. Its just not rendering the autostereoscopic effects to the screen when the slider is off.

Last edited:

Blazios

Yes, but I am pretty sure there is a good 10 FPS drop when the slider is up all the way during battles with 2 complicated pokemon being rendered at the same time.

The frame rate drops when 3D is on in every 3DS game, that's one of the reasons why hardly anyone uses the 3D any more.

Rakurai

Relating to the subject, I love the fact that Gengar got its silly idle animation from the Stadium games back.

It just wasn't the same without it in the gen 3 and 4 games.

Cosset

I'm agreeing with the person saying that it reminds them of the n64 games- it was my reaction too.

Of course, it has improved a LOT but some of the reactions are similar. :)

PokeAJ

I absolutely LOVE the way all the pokemon are animated this gen. The 3D models and graphical capabilities of the 3DS really allow for some of them to finally be fully realized for the first time, imo. Y has actually made me even like Mr. Mime because he's animated so well now, and I always used to hate him. Now I wouldn't even mind using him on a team! Hats off to GF big time in that department.

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
I applaud them for the 3D models of the Pokemon. After seeing the blocky Pokemon Stadium models reused in games over the years, it almost seemed as if Pokemon would never get good 3D models, but the ones in X/Y are AMAZING. Some things I think could be improved, like the fire on Rapidash, Moltres, etc., but otherwise I can't point out anything wrong. They're nearly perfect.

However, a lot of the rest of the graphic's left something to be desired. There's a noticeable difference from B/W and B2/W2, but I recall seeing a reviewer or somebody saying that this jump would be as impressive as the one from ALTTP to OOT, and I can not even fathom how anybody could think that after playing the game. As I said, there is a noticeable difference, but the overworld graphics are still very much set up in a way that they still look like a 2D world translated into 3D, and the camera forcing you to remain in the top-down view most of the time doesn't help differentiate from Generation V at all.

Some of the environments really do use the 3DS's power, but others still feel very DS-like. So Gamefreak is still taking baby steps with graphics outside of battles, and that kind of disappointed me, to be honest. Especially since it's advertised and called such a brilliant translation of Pokemon into 3D. =/ And also very much considering the first trailer/screenshots showed very little if any of the overhead camera style, making me believe it would be minimized, or gone.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I applaud them for the 3D models of the Pokemon. After seeing the blocky Pokemon Stadium models reused in games over the years, it almost seemed as if Pokemon would never get good 3D models, but the ones in X/Y are AMAZING. Some things I think could be improved, like the fire on Rapidash, Moltres, etc., but otherwise I can't point out anything wrong. They're nearly perfect.

However, a lot of the rest of the graphic's left something to be desired. There's a noticeable difference from B/W and B2/W2, but I recall seeing a reviewer or somebody saying that this jump would be as impressive as the one from ALTTP to OOT, and I can not even fathom how anybody could think that after playing the game. As I said, there is a noticeable difference, but the overworld graphics are still very much set up in a way that they still look like a 2D world translated into 3D, and the camera forcing you to remain in the top-down view most of the time doesn't help differentiate from Generation V at all.

Some of the environments really do use the 3DS's power, but others still feel very DS-like. So Gamefreak is still taking baby steps with graphics outside of battles, and that kind of disappointed me, to be honest. Especially since it's advertised and called such a brilliant translation of Pokemon into 3D. =/ And also very much considering the first trailer/screenshots showed very little if any of the overhead camera style, making me believe it would be minimized, or gone.

They're not taking baby steps, just because you feel they're very DS like does not mean they are. The DS couldn't even hope to achieve this type of visuals.

Aurath8

They're not taking baby steps, just because you feel they're very DS like does not mean they are. The DS couldn't even hope to achieve this type of visuals.

I actually believe the 'DS-like' feel was intentional. When the visual style changes quite a bit, I think GF prioritised on making these games feel like a pokemon game, which explains all the references to other games and regions, and even taking a few ideas from them.

Santalune forest was quite similar to Viridian Forest in design, and is the only other place in all of pokemon where wild Pikachu are naturally found. Route 22 is an obvious reference to Kanto's own Route 22 which also led to Victory Road. The frickin' Kanto starters are given to you. Catching Furfrou at Parfum Palace was like the Farfetch'd puzzle in Ilex forest. Snorlax and the Pokéflute. Connecting cave filled with Zubat.

And all this is before the 2nd gym badge. For every new feature and dazzling spectacle like riding pokemon or Mega Evolution you have another throwback.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I actually believe the 'DS-like' feel was intentional. When the visual style changes quite a bit, I think GF prioritised on making these games feel like a pokemon game, which explains all the references to other games and regions, and even taking a few ideas from them.

Santalune forest was quite similar to Viridian Forest in design, and is the only other place in all of pokemon where wild Pikachu are naturally found. Route 22 is an obvious reference to Kanto's own Route 22 which also led to Victory Road. The frickin' Kanto starters are given to you. Catching Furfrou at Parfum Palace was like the Farfetch'd puzzle in Ilex forest. Snorlax and the Pokéflute. Connecting cave filled with Zubat.

And all this is before the 2nd gym badge. For every new feature and dazzling spectacle like riding pokemon or Mega Evolution you have another throwback.

I got that same feeling while playing through the game. I think the sound for the Psychic and Hyper Beam animations are also Gen 1 throwbacks, if I'm remembering them correctly. Though the high quality visuals made some of those references (like the Santalune Forest design) a second thought, so it still feels new. And I love these attack animations.

Though for the record, Zubat was the rarest thing for me in Connecting Cave. I found so many Meditite, Axew, and Whismur before I could even find one Zubat.

starjirachi1

Certainly, the 3d models that they have shown in this game are breathtaking. I really like the move animations. They have just given a new look and perspective to the many moves in the past generations. I even have to make my pokemon learn weak moves just to see their animations. Kudos to Calm Mind and Retaliate (and even tail whip >.<).

Anywayz, I commend GF for the massive overhaul from sprites to models. The nostalgia from playing all those pokemon stadium and battle revolution games starts to come back. However, it does make battling a bit longer though...

The overworld is quite nice especially the autumn part along with swamp biome. When you ride a bike over at Lumiose City though, the awful camera makes you feel nauseous (Maybe it's just me).
Overall, this game will provide another benchmark for pokemon games to live by.

Torosiken

This is a title.
Though they're no more sprites, the 3D looks very good I think. I prefer them over BW ones.
I really love how they do the BG and all! The movement and everything! The idle animations, the special and physical stuffs! And the faint animation! The animation how your Pokemon looks at you in the battle!
Kinda surprises me how flat Stunfisk and Cryogonal are. I know Stunfisk is flat but I never thought it was that flat XDDD and as for Cryogonal... never thought it's that flat at all /boom

edit :
oh and mannn they are moving fast though they are moving very good in lot of angles!
This is so unlike DPPtHGSS and BWB2W2 that got very slow to wait an attack movement!

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
So this seems to be the most apt place to put this.
I noticed that when sometimes go to heal my pokemon at the center, the camera angle changes so it is like I am looking from my characters perspective or down through the roof of the pokemon center. I am just curious as to why this is happening and if it happens to anyone else

Grey Wind

So this seems to be the most apt place to put this.
I noticed that when sometimes go to heal my pokemon at the center, the camera angle changes so it is like I am looking from my characters perspective or down through the roof of the pokemon center. I am just curious as to why this is happening and if it happens to anyone else
Every game has that, it's just a camera angle change to add flavour.

Zivinolette

Livin' The Dream
Though they're no more sprites, the 3D looks very good I think. I prefer them over BW ones.
I really love how they do the BG and all! The movement and everything! The idle animations, the special and physical stuffs! And the faint animation! The animation how your Pokemon looks at you in the battle!

Couldn't agree more! And the BG animation and movements honestly I wanted to cry when I witnessed it all for myself when I started Pokemon X. It was all too glorious for words!! So glorious that usually in games I turn the battle scenes off cause it just takes up time and I was over watching the moves happen. Now I hate to pass up watching my Noivern take the first move and completely KO an opponent with one of his moves. Again, glorious so I give props for the 3D animation!

Status
Not open for further replies.