• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekTek

I adore the animations for Noibat all over the game, specially in Amie. Cannot wait to see how arcanine looks.

I'm wondering though, why disable that lovely screenshot function we had in New Leaf? That was really awesome, I'm kind of sad all we get now is the photo spots dotted around the map. It's cool and all but.. I would've liked to show people my pokes, not my trainer.

Aurath8

I adore the animations for Noibat all over the game, specially in Amie. Cannot wait to see how arcanine looks.

I'm wondering though, why disable that lovely screenshot function we had in New Leaf? That was really awesome, I'm kind of sad all we get now is the photo spots dotted around the map. It's cool and all but.. I would've liked to show people my pokes, not my trainer.

Screenshots are specific to New Leaf. It's not a system-wide thing.

TekTek

Screenshots are specific to New Leaf. It's not a system-wide thing.

I see, it still would've been nice to have it.
All the animations and models are great though, can't wait to see some of the gen 2 starters in 3D. That was what gave me the most enjoyment playing through, seeing all the 3D oldschool 'mons.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
3D is always on in Single Battles. All you're doing is adjusting whether you see it or not.

No, if you have the 3D slider turned all the way off like I do, it's pretty obvious the console is only projecting one image (when you turn it off in the middle of a 3D segment, the screen flickers as it changes modes and stops projecting two images). I've noticed a lower framerate overall in all of the battles if I have the 3D on period. Not stuttering, a consistently low framerate.

Of course, it stutters when it shows the splitscreen between the two mons for whatever reason, even though they're both damn animated everytime else in the battle.

I have to say, as a game programmer, I can seriously appreciate what Game Freak did with the 3D models. How they avoided faceting is amazing, and the long skinny bits look great (both are very hard to deal with). I've heard some people get stuttering etc, but I haven't been able to get that to happen. It may be related to additional hardware settings or variations, I'm not sure. I have a first run USA blue 3DS. I can understand how pushing the limit of special effects, animation rigs and polygon counts could under the most extreme conditions cause a bit of frame rate interference, but I'm honestly surprised that I don't see it happening.

As to the lack of Stereoscopic 3D all over, I can think of several reasons for this. The first is that you can't easily hide a well shaded 2D plain version of an object in the scene like you can normally, That means full 3D models for EVERYTHING. Second, if everything is a 3D model, you have a lower limit of polygons per object, and that means they don't look as good, or you end up limiting how many things show on the screen and it ends up a sparse world. Third, if this game was started before GameFreak learned about the 3DS, they would have to redo anything that didn't account for stereoscopic 3D and since the optimizing tricks I mentioned earlier get used most in over worlds, it would be a pita to redo everything. Fourth, every region that pushed the graphics processing limits would need to be carefully optimized in order to make it safe to run in stereoscopic 3D. This is very time consuming and would have pushed the release date back by quite a bit. And finally, for all the hassle that goes into making flawless stereoscopic 3D, people have to turn it off at least part of the time to give their eyes a break, and chances are they will do it in the over world... so why put a bunch of development resources into something people don't really care about, instead put them in the parts people want to see, the battles!

Remember, when it gets to a high level of quality, throwing more people and money at a game won't help... and even adding more time is limited in the results it ives. What it really takes is the time of specific individuals with incredible talent, and that is always a highly limited resource.

I <3 you. Programmers unite! (though I'm a web programmer, myself)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
No, if you have the 3D slider turned all the way off like I do, it's pretty obvious the console is only projecting one image (when you turn it off in the middle of a 3D segment, the screen flickers as it changes modes and stops projecting two images). I've noticed a lower framerate overall in all of the battles if I have the 3D on period. Not stuttering, a consistently low framerate.

The 3DS is always rendering in 3D, unless it is disabled by the software. This is fact. Again, it's easier to see a framerate drop with a lower refresh rate. That's why games like Street Fighter IV and Monster Hunter include an option in-game to disable it, to improve the framerate.

My game is severely slowed with the 3D down in any aspect. The worst is trying to play super training with it enabled, the frame rate is pretty much halved and as soon as 3D is shut off it returns to normal. It's a shame because I just cannot play with the 3D on.

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
My frame rate is significantly slower with 3d on, but in the overworld it doesn't matter too much. I rarely use it because I find it hard to read with the 3d on, but I still appreciate the overall look of the game with the new graphics. It makes going back and playing DPPt awful.

Lumiose City irritates me because I have to dismount my roller skates, shift the camera angles, and get back on then do it again. Other than that, the changing camera angles are really well done.

Unredemption

My frame rate is significantly slower with 3d on, but in the overworld it doesn't matter too much. I rarely use it because I find it hard to read with the 3d on, but I still appreciate the overall look of the game with the new graphics. It makes going back and playing DPPt awful.

The overworld mostly doesn't have 3D though, except for select places such as the Pokemon League - which was really quite well done especially the Flood Chamber. Wish they'd make everywhere else 3D too, then I might have reason to spoil my eyes a little.

Definitely agree with 3D during battles though, the frame dip is horrendous enough to make me never want to turn on my 3D for Pokemon.

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
The 3DS is always rendering in 3D, unless it is disabled by the software. This is fact. Again, it's easier to see a framerate drop with a lower refresh rate. That's why games like Street Fighter IV and Monster Hunter include an option in-game to disable it, to improve the framerate.

Wow...that is horribly inefficient. Why the hell even make it that way?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow...that is horribly inefficient. Why the hell even make it that way?

Because that's the point of the 3DS, to display in 3D. It would be confusing if you had to deal with two different toggles for everything, some people may disable 3D in a menu of the game without realizing it, and then try to adjust the slider to no avail. While I do wish every game had the ability to disable it, it is extra work to modify your game to work properly without rendering 3D.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
One thing i have to say is OMG GF sawk and druddigon look fenomenal. They climbed my personal favorite's list and are now in my top 20. Just WOW! And since i'm talking about the models, i would like to refer that the modifications on the cries are a little disappointing to me. Just listen to raichu's cry. dafuq is that, he sounds like a wuss now.

Tenilius

Just need to say that Game Freak should be ashamed of their work on the Typhlosion model, after seeing one attack in the Battle Maison it is definitely not up to scratch with the other Fire starters.
Charizard, Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar all have 3D fire on them but Typhlosion's fire mane is a 2D cartoon-like drawing of fire. You can tell it's 2D by looking at it from the side.

Very disappointing to see they didn't put as much, if any, real effort into making a starter's model.

Zloik

FlyingBananas
Just need to say that Game Freak should be ashamed of their work on the Typhlosion model, after seeing one attack in the Battle Maison it is definitely not up to scratch with the other Fire starters.
Charizard, Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar all have 3D fire on them but Typhlosion's fire mane is a 2D cartoon-like drawing of fire. You can tell it's 2D by looking at it from the side.

Very disappointing to see they didn't put as much, if any, real effort into making a starter's model.

Maybe GF didn't consider that it would appear too much. But I agree with the fact that they should've spent more time into polishing even small details like these.

Zygen

The graphics are a big step up, and look very clean for the most part, rarely do i really notice any pixalated stuff anymore, it looks very clean, especially the battles.

The background in the battles is still a bit lower quality overall, atleast compared to the pokemon and stuff, but its still cleaner looking then other games.

The overworld graphics are all quite nice, the fact that they're not 3D enabled really doesn't bother me as i don't use the 3d option much anyways, but regardless it looks very nice.

Everything just looks so beautiful, no longer is there much of any instances where i can notice pixalated things, and it just looks really nice.

It doesn't have to be photo realistic to look good, i really like the graphical style they choose, it just looks really nice, what more can i say really?

Essentially i quite like it.

Zloik

FlyingBananas
The graphics are a big step up, and look very clean for the most part, rarely do i really notice any pixalated stuff anymore, it looks very clean, especially the battles.

The background in the battles is still a bit lower quality overall, atleast compared to the pokemon and stuff, but its still cleaner looking then other games.

The overworld graphics are all quite nice, the fact that they're not 3D enabled really doesn't bother me as i don't use the 3d option much anyways, but regardless it looks very nice.

Everything just looks so beautiful, no longer is there much of any instances where i can notice pixalated things, and it just looks really nice.

It doesn't have to be photo realistic to look good, i really like the graphical style they choose, it just looks really nice, what more can i say really?

Essentially i quite like it.

I fully agree with you but I think sometimes, the field of view is a little bit too small. I want to be able to see more on my screen sometimes.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Sylveyon

I just recently ran into Spiritomb thanks to Friend Safari, honestly now that he's fully animated too.. the little green spheres spinning around gives me a headache or like I'm gonna get nauseous.

I think it would be awesome for Pokemon Z (or whatever the third game is for this generation) to include some sort of pacing animation. For flying type Pokemon, they are flapping their wings and hovering while you make a decision during battle. But the Pokemon on the ground just sit there and sway side to side a bit. I think it would be cool to see Mightyena pacing back and forth, or maybe to have Pyroar roar at the opposing Pokemon if you wait too long.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I think it would be awesome for Pokemon Z (or whatever the third game is for this generation) to include some sort of pacing animation. For flying type Pokemon, they are flapping their wings and hovering while you make a decision during battle. But the Pokemon on the ground just sit there and sway side to side a bit. I think it would be cool to see Mightyena pacing back and forth, or maybe to have Pyroar roar at the opposing Pokemon if you wait too long.

that would be good. I'd like to see more pokemon with unique animations. It would give pokemon more personality and make each pokemon species seem more unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.