• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Gameplay Graphics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SugarPixelz

Shiny Hunter
I really love how the water looks at night.

Hasty

Moonside
The graphics in XY looks really decent at first sight, only there are too many errors that kind of make me think GF was really lazy...

- Number one, imo: Talonflame's feather that goes in its body when flapping its wings.. It really annoys me.. (x.x)
- Sometimes, not very unusual acutally, there are white, blank pixels that don't belong there... In grass, in buildings,... they disappear (even if you stand still) after 2-3 seconds... Did you notice those white pixels, too?

And I'm hating that they forced Pokemon in flying positions only to look more natural in unnecessary, unneeded Sky Battles...
- Pokemon like Xatu-line, Pidgeotto-line, Noctowl-line, Skarmory, Murkow-line, Swanna and Mandibuzz should have stayed on the ground, imo...
- Most floating animations (Skarmory, Togekiss, etc) don't look nice to me

I hope next Gen fixes these ugly animations of Flying Pokemon (x.x)
---

Other than that ^ the graphics are really nice.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
As opposed to sounding like broken Game Boy?

It sounded like some electric shock sound and it was awesome. But i know i just have to get used to it.

And i have to say the models make ALL the difference for some pokes. Espeon looks beautifull, jolteon and leafeon are even more awesome, swanna looks way cooler, tyranitar and garchomp look like total bada5ses and i can go on and on about houndoom, druddigon and sawk. If there's something bad about the models i only dislike sneasel's pose, that's pretty much about it.

So, does anyone else thinks this? did the models change your view on some pokemon? And what do you think about the change in some cries?

Last edited:

Cerex

It sounded like some electric shock sound and it was awesome. But i know i just have to get used to it.

And i have to say the models make ALL the difference for some pokes. Espeon looks beautifull, jolteon and leafeon are even more awesome, swanna looks way cooler, tyranitar and garchomp look like total bada5ses and i can go on and on about houndoom, druddigon and sawk. If there's something bad about the models i only dislike sneasel's pose, that's pretty much about it.

So, does anyone else thinks this? did the models change your view on some pokemon? And what do you think about the change in some cries?
Swanna definitely looks a lot better. Aside from some poses--I totally agree about Sneasel--the models really helped make some Pokemon look a lot more appealing.

I can't say the same for the animations however. Back on previous consoles the animation for moves made sense as representations of what the move does. However, in a dynamic 3D environment some of the animations are a bit more questionable. The most annoying for me is Sword Dance. I don't know why they stuck with the swords just materializing out of thin air, when something more akin to Quiver Dance or Dragon Dance would have been fine. Also, some water Pokemon floating floating is becoming much more annoying visually.

PokeAmi

I think the Pokemon looks much more alive and yes, some much better then their sprites. I love'd the sprites, but I can't help but loving these 3D Models a bit more :p
Totally agreed with the Swanna Model. I also like that the cries doesn't sound as computer-ish anymore, but I do miss some of the old ones though.
But anyways all in total. I LOVE the 3D models and basically all the new cries! :)

Silverevilchao

Scythe-Wielding Chao
The models drastically help Pokemon with more complex designs and kinda harms more simplistic ones. I wasn't really keen on how Togekiss looks in this game until I saw its awesome attack animations, for instance.

Nevertheless though, the models and animations are such a great step-up that I actually really look forward to training any Pokemon now, and even gives the game a kind of staying power that it wouldn't have had if it was sprites again, given the few post-game features it has.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
i have to say i love scrafty's dragon dance animation. i know it uses that amimation for other things but it looks particularly amazing when it uses DD :)

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I love every model except for Typhlosion, mostly because not having it's trademark flames showing except for attacking and making it look boring imo.

Golden Klefki is something I can stare at for sure!

And myself too...

ive yet to see typhlosion but in the 3d games i believe the flames were only present during attacks as well

but yes, golden klefki and dragalge are beautiful too

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Also, some water Pokemon floating floating is becoming much more annoying visually.

100 % agree, i was not a fan of stadium gyarados floating and i'm still not happy with his model in X and Y and that certainly contributes to me not liking megagyarados that much. But you can't have the water types splashing in the ground like they can't breathe so...we just have to bear with it.

oh and i forgot about kabutops. while silver and HGSS sprites are awesmoe, the red/blue sprites were awful with those stupid eyes. i mean look at the sugimori art and the model on the XY pokedex page... those stupid eyes really make him way less cool than he is. the HGSS sprite represents the bada5sness of kabutops. He's ready to chop you limb for limb. and the model just makes him...not threatning at all. He's still my favorite pokemon of all time but geez that model.sigh...

@arcamenel:eek:mg, i just saw it, it's horrendous.

Last edited:

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
Audino looks horrendous. That's the only model so far I haven't liked.

Audino has always looks horrendous to me, however I actually prefer seeing it in 3D.

Most Pokemon look amazing in 3D, and some of the more complex designs really shine like Druddigon, Armaldo and Ferrothorn. Also Spinda's movements are so funny to watch, especially in a horde. Even Luvdisc looks good in 3D. There are some however I don't like...
- Garbodor: should have shined in 3D like its pre-evo Trubbish dose. However its 3D model looks abit... off? Compared to overs its colouration looks really saturated and I feel like the bin bag rips running down its chest should have been 3D and flapping as it moves.
- Talonflame: 3D is awsome but it flaps its wings too much. Wish it glided like Swallow or hovered like a Kestrel.
- Parasect: 3D model and its movements are amazing, forgot how cool its design was. However its back legs clip into its mushroom as it rocks from side to side.
- kecleon: I miss its old school 3D animations where it tweeked its head around and moved about. Now it just stands still.
- Torkoal: 3D model looks great but please ditch the terrible smoke in future games. Would be better if only shown in attacking animations.
- Swanna: Its a swan so it should fly like a swan with its neck straight. Small gripe.
- Pawniard: Worst 3D model in the game! Looks terrible.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Audino has always looks horrendous to me, however I actually prefer seeing it in 3D.

Most Pokemon look amazing in 3D, and some of the more complex designs really shine like Druddigon, Armaldo and Ferrothorn. Also Spinda's movements are so funny to watch, especially in a horde. Even Luvdisc looks good in 3D. There are some however I don't like...
- Garbodor: should have shined in 3D like its pre-evo Trubbish dose. However its 3D model looks abit... off? Compared to overs its colouration looks really saturated and I feel like the bin bag rips running down its chest should have been 3D and flapping as it moves.
- Talonflame: 3D is awsome but it flaps its wings too much. Wish it glided like Swallow or hovered like a Kestrel.
- Parasect: 3D model and its movements are amazing, forgot how cool its design was. However its back legs clip into its mushroom as it rocks from side to side.
- kecleon: I miss its old school 3D animations where it tweeked its head around and moved about. Now it just stands still.
- Torkoal: 3D model looks great but please ditch the terrible smoke in future games. Would be better if only shown in attacking animations.
- Swanna: Its a swan so it should fly like a swan with its neck straight. Small gripe.
- Pawniard: Worst 3D model in the game! Looks terrible.

I actually liked audino enough to consider him in a 3rd team in b/w. Yeah, pawniard looks bad and they could have not put the smoke in torkoal. Also:
- I don't like the fact that aggron looks like he can't move with that enormous tail. I really like him and the b/w sprites were so cool. but by making the tail straight and not curling it looks like it's wearing him down and making him even slower.
-They gave a brazilian look to hitmontop with the capoeira movements which i was not expecting at all. I think he's too short though.
-Illumise and volbeat look way fatter than their sprites. I don't like them despite liking volbeat quite a lot.
-One thing about the megaevolutions it's the fact that megamanetric being awesome to me made me pick a pokemon that i would otherwise not even touch. manetric looks like it's too small and that mane and earholes makes him ugly IMO. But the mega, OMG...maybe it's the spike factor but those three spikes alongside it's body, the horns oh man, it's awesome.
-on the other hand megaheracross didn't need to happen. Pinsir needed a buff i agree but heracross? really? how about sunflora? or dunsparce? or even the likes of girafarig, stantler, jumpluff, parasect, farfetch'd, quilfish, corsola, the list can go on and on but ranting aside, heracross, the bada5s bug/fighting gained popeye arms, a pointy nose and the legs seem to hardly sustain the weight. That is the only pokemon i just don't megaevolve.
Did the megas changed your opinion on those pokemon too?

Goodraman

Man of 1000 Goomys
if you ask me the archeops animation could use a little work, it just looks awkward.

Goodraman

Man of 1000 Goomys
Isn't that kind of the point? It's the "first bird" Pokemon, even its design looks kinda awkward.

well yeah, i'm not saying i wont train it, i'm saying that it just looks awkward. and that it either takes a lot, or very little skill to make it look that way.

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
I actually liked audino enough to consider him in a 3rd team in b/w. Yeah, pawniard looks bad and they could have not put the smoke in torkoal. Also:
- I don't like the fact that aggron looks like he can't move with that enormous tail. I really like him and the b/w sprites were so cool. but by making the tail straight and not curling it looks like it's wearing him down and making him even slower.
-They gave a brazilian look to hitmontop with the capoeira movements which i was not expecting at all. I think he's too short though.
-Illumise and volbeat look way fatter than their sprites. I don't like them despite liking volbeat quite a lot.
-One thing about the megaevolutions it's the fact that megamanetric being awesome to me made me pick a pokemon that i would otherwise not even touch. manetric looks like it's too small and that mane and earholes makes him ugly IMO. But the mega, OMG...maybe it's the spike factor but those three spikes alongside it's body, the horns oh man, it's awesome.
-on the other hand megaheracross didn't need to happen. Pinsir needed a buff i agree but heracross? really? how about sunflora? or dunsparce? or even the likes of girafarig, stantler, jumpluff, parasect, farfetch'd, quilfish, corsola, the list can go on and on but ranting aside, heracross, the bada5s bug/fighting gained popeye arms, a pointy nose and the legs seem to hardly sustain the weight. That is the only pokemon i just don't megaevolve.
Did the megas changed your opinion on those pokemon too?

Yeah Aggron dose look quite "rigid" guess it is an armoured Dinosaur but still, after its awesome animated sprites from B/W its quite the disappointment.
Also some Mega's have indeed made me like and use certain Pokemon more. Manetric I always loved and was a staple of my B/W team. However Pokemon that have become refreshed for me include Charizard, who I've not trained since Yellow, Alakazam as seen in my Sig (although its feet/legs look strange), really want to see him standing normally and Medicham. Houndoom also looks awesome and I really want to train him but... oh I can't, why? Because there's no way for me to get it in my game, and who would ever trade away a unique item?
However Mega-Gengar is still terrible looking (I think so), looks a mess, like a Gengar drawn to avoid copywrite infringement.

if you ask me the archeops animation could use a little work, it just looks awkward.

Ah don't see that! Its my fav Fossil Pokemon and the only one I've've yet to see in Kalos since I'll'll be trading over my Acrobatics on from White.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Yeah Aggron dose look quite "rigid" guess it is an armoured Dinosaur but still, after its awesome animated sprites from B/W its quite the disappointment.
Also some Mega's have indeed made me like and use certain Pokemon more. Manetric I always loved and was a staple of my B/W team. However Pokemon that have become refreshed for me include Charizard, who I've not trained since Yellow, Alakazam as seen in my Sig (although its feet/legs look strange), really want to see him standing normally and Medicham. Houndoom also looks awesome and I really want to train him but... oh I can't, why? Because there's no way for me to get it in my game, and who would ever trade away a unique item?
However Mega-Gengar is still terrible looking (I think so), looks a mess, like a Gengar drawn to avoid copywrite infringement.

Ah don't see that! Its my fav Fossil Pokemon and the only one I've've yet to see in Kalos since I'll'll be trading over my Acrobatics on from White.

I don't mind megagengar, the shiny is awesome and megalakazam's legs do look akward. About charizard i also agree, one of my favorite megas is charizard Y.

Archeops is ok IMO, he's the 1st bird so i don't mind him looking like how he does.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Isn't that kind of the point? It's the "first bird" Pokemon, even its design looks kinda awkward.

Plus it's animated sprite shows it struggling to stay in the air.

I love it's model though, it looks silly and amusing like Eelektross's personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.