1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

new guy, new team, old concept

Discussion in 'Older Gen RMT' started by darklite, Dec 24, 2008.

1. darklite

darklite Member

Hey all im new on serebii but i have played pkmn to a certain extent... this is my baton pass team (originally posted by CCarlos who helped me with it)... RMT and enjoy!!

Ninjask @ focus sash (Adamant)
    Speed Boost
    252 hp/ 252 spd/4 att
    Swords Dance
    Substitute
    Baton Pass
    X-scissor

my lead... sub>sd>bp typical set up there.... x-scissor for taunters, particularly Weavile....

Vaporeon @ Leftovers (Bold)
    Water Absorb
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
    Baton Pass
    Acid Armor
    Substitute
    Wish

after speed boosts (granting Ninjask survived the opening) and the destruction of Ninjask's sub, Vaps gets in with her own sub>acid a.>wish>bp...NEXT!!!

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 224 Spe / 32 HP
    Moves:
    U-Turn / Roost
    Superpower
    Bullet Punch
    Agility

The first attacker: Superpower hurts opposing Steel types for SE as you are completely walled by Steel types. Agility, since Swords Dance will be passed to him, is a good choice as it boosts his mediocre Speed real high, so it outspeeds almost everything (also should ninjask not survive to pass on the stats). Bullet Punch gets STAB, priority, and a Technician boost, putting it at 120 BP before Swords Dance (240 BP after Swords Dance). Roost allows self-healing while U-Turn scouts my opponent for a threat.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash (Jolly)
    Own Tempo
    252 HP/252 Speed/4 Def
    Ingrain
    Sub
    BP
    Spore

I heard that every bp team needs Smeargle or Mr. Mime.... i chose the former of the two for countless movesets (although this is the only one for bp teams....) Ingrain to prevent forced switches plus additional recovery and spore for setup time....

Furret @ Focus Sash (Jolly)
    Keen Eye
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Att
    Baton Pass
    Sub
    Brick Break
    Amnesia

Now everyone is like "what the fudge!?!?!... why is this here!?!?" Easy.... special def. Too much defense is never bad so why not cover both spectrums? Brick Break, like X-scissors, for anti-taunting...

Salamence @ Life Orb (Rash)
    Intimidate
    120 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
    Draco Meteor
    -Brick Break
    -Crunch
    -Flamethrower

Second attacker... needs to be more special oriented because of scizor above.... changes will be made later after new research...

Lucario @ Life Orb/Expert Belt (Naive)
    Inner Focus
    252 HP/129 Att/129 Sp. Att
    Aura Sphere/Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball/Psychic

Aura for accuracy. Close Combat for Blissey (thunder wave anyone??). Stone Edge for fires and flying who have neutral flying type moves. EQ for coverage. Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball for personal taste (flinch vs. spdef drop). Psychic because its the only thing that i have that, i believe, hurts Heracross.

Magmortar @ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Leftovers (Mild, Lonely)
    Flame Body
    84 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 172 Spe
    Cross Chop
    Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower
    Earthquake

Similar to the Electrivire set, only slower and STAB-ed flamethrower. Cross Chop and EQ for coverage, again. Thunderbolt for waters.

The only things im worried about are the EV spreads for everyone (not 31 iv spreads) and something to hit Ground types for my sweepers. Thanks all!!!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I started to rate this team, but it sucks.

Gimmick teams are banned. They're bad. They require everything to go perfectly. It won't.

Seriously, Baton Pass may be the most overrated strategy in the game.

Please read up on competitive battling and make a new team once you have acquired the knowledge to do so.

Hahaha. You have a total of 6 attacks.

3. The Reverend A_K

The Reverend A_K Altaria goBot

So, two of your pokemon have offensive moves and one of them is a furret. .. THIS TEAM IS KICKIN' RAD!

4. Rad3n

Rad3n Banned

Sorry Randomspot, Baton Pass teams work. They just need to be good. This one isn't. The major problem is attempting to pass both Atk and SpA. Pick one. Seriously.

5. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

Baton Pass, where one, maybe two Pokemon do it, can work (as evidenced since Ninjask was like the #8 lead on Shoddy). But an entire team that has one baton passing to another, then #2 sets up and BP to #3, and so on so on #5 or #6 can be some super Pokemon to destroy the world, THAT doesn't work.

6. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

Randomspot555 is right. You should remove Baton Pass from Scizor and Furrett.

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 224 Spe / 32 HP
    Moves:
    U-Turn / Roost
    Superpower
    Bullet Punch
    Agility

Superpower hurts opposing Steel types for SE as you are completely walled by Steel types. Agility, since Swords Dance will be passed to him, is a good choice as it boosts his mediocre Speed real high, so it outspeeds almost everything. Bullet Punch gets STAB, priority, and a Technician boost, putting it at 120 BP before Swords Dance (240 BP after Swords Dance). Roost allows self-healing while U-Turn scouts your opponent for a threat.

Sorry, but I don't know about Furrett. Just remove Baton Pass and take other people's suggestions on him.

7. Digital Love

Digital Love Jew 'Fro's Graduate

Just to add something, Focus Sash and Substitute are redundant. Pick one (preferably Sub) and ditch Focus Sash for Lefties

8. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

With a bit of changes, we can turn your team around, if you let us...

9. Aéropostale

Aéropostale ♪ Happy Holidays ♪

This team is giving the whole metagame a setup routine. You have a real DD Gyarados problem, I suggest putting HP [Electric] on Vaporeon over Acid Armour to insure some Gyara counter.

10. darklite

darklite Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback...
    1. Rad3n - i will pick attack for my area of offense
    2. randomspot555 - i can make Scizor an attacker instead of a passer
    3. azeem40 - thanks for the stats on scizor as an attacker
    4. Digital Love - i just realized focus sash and substitute are unnecessary together.... thanks for spotting that out.
    5. azeem40 - thanks i really appreciate the help
    6. Aéropostale - thanks for the heads up on gyras

should i change/replace anything else??

11. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

On Salamence, I see you are trying to use MixMence...
    Here's some suggestions:

• Use Mild / Rash as Nature so his good speed isn't hindered. Choose whether you want more SpD or Def...
    • Run Salamence with Life Orb and Draco Meteor / Brick Break / Crunch / Flamethrower or Fire Blast with 120 Atk / 136 Spe / 252 SpA.

The Speed EVs allow you to outrun Adamant Heracross; The Attack EVs allow you to OHKO Blissey after Ninjask passes you the Swords Dance boost and a 2HKO should Ninjask fail to deliver Swords Dance.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  12. Rhys29

Rhys29 Encore

Why do Baton Pass teams seem to work? Becuase besides the lead or one or two other pokes, you don't need to particularily rely on it, it's there to give you an edge since the poke you use could use it but doesn't necessarily need it (like Scizor). Also seeing the fact you don't seem to grasp that Protect on a lead Ninjask is almost essential for the set up and that the max speed doesn't help you in any way, I would say you have no experience with BP teams. And also I noticed that two of your pokes are literally useless when Taunted, ruining hte BP itself. I am in total agreement with Randomspot with dumping this team. Do your research and then come back.

13. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

If you'd look at the other people's post and not be so single-minded, you'd figure out that he accepts other people's changes. Don't just come in here and discourage him...

14. Rhys29

Rhys29 Encore

This is not 'Build me a team because mine sucks'. This is rate my team. If he wants some help building a team he can go to Smogon, contact one of us, or research the stuff himself. I'm not being ignorant and single-minded, I'm telling him that this team doesn't work and is to be destroyed very easily. That is my rate and since minor tweaks will probably not fix the problems on his team I don't need to suggest them.

15. azeem40

azeem40 Pokemon is fun!

You win, happy?!

16. darklite

darklite Member

um.... thanks everyone for your feedback... i will change maybe half my team while keeping the necessities (ninjask, vaporeon, and smeargle) looks like i need more work to do but i think baton pass is a fun and deadly concept to use competitively... i saw the article on smogon about baton passing and the team had 5 baton passers so i thought it was a good idea...

17. Rhys29

Rhys29 Encore

This is called a 'BP chain'. Rad3n has a good grasp of it.

18. Electivire ftw

Electivire ftw Your Local Bidoof

With your plan on ninjask i see some problems. Most people that i have battled open with a sweeper, so when u use sub, ur sub dies, and you will not be able to use swords dance. I suggest giving him protect and a focus sash. So 1st u protect (so a speed boost), then swords dance, (you will definitely survive this attk unless they have like a ttar or something with sandstream, etc) then protect again for extra speed, then baton passs. watch out for possible bullet punches, ice shards or weather damage.

with this method u get 3+ to speed and 2+ to attk and a better chance of survival,

19. Rhys29

Rhys29 Encore

Common, however passing a Sub is questionably better. Plus most leads carry a priority move so this whole tech becomes useless. With a firm defense Ninjask can actually take a hit and set up quite well. Depends on what he wants more though.

20. JRCxyz

JRCxyz Hi

Want to see THE baton pass team go to Youtube and search for NU sweeping pwnage and watch carefully.I'd give you a link but I can't 'cuz I'm using the PS3.