• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Kirby series thread (25th anniversary coming up)

Rakurai

I don't feel like Magolor would necessarily be considered a Return to Dreamland specific character at this point when he's had a prominent role in multiple games now (Though they were just spin-offs).

On a related note, the US website for the game is pretty barebones, since the JP website has pictures of Marx using his wing arrows and black hole, and Gooey using Dark Matter's lightning attack.

R_N

I don't feel like Magolor would necessarily be considered a Return to Dreamland specific character at this point when he's had a prominent role in multiple games now (Though they were just spin-offs).

On a related note, the US website for the game is pretty barebones, since the JP website has pictures of Marx using his wing arrows and black hole, and Gooey using Dark Matter's lightning attack.

It's still his premiere game where he was the main villain. It will always be his main association, far more than his appearence in the dream collection or guest appearences in the rhythm & quest spin offs. It's like how Taranza would definitely be considered a Triple Deluxe representative despite showing up as a boss in the quest eshop game. Or, as you want, Landia would be a RTD character and not something else considering it's been used for robobot's quest game and the quest's eshop release.

Anyway this may all be mute. THey could double dip on games (ie: next batch has the DL3 buddies even though we just got Gooey), they might give more than one character per game, they may hit games we never expected (who would you even choose for mass attack?!), who knows. We dont even know how many new characters we'll get, really

Rakurai

Ugh. I always get consumed by hype and end up peeking at the final boss fight of the newest Kirby game no matter how many times I tell myself I won't.

I can say it's probably going to be my favorite final boss out of all the newer Kirby games in every regard, though.

R_N

Ugh. I always get consumed by hype and end up peeking at the final boss fight of the newest Kirby game no matter how many times I tell myself I won't.

I can say it's probably going to be my favorite final boss out of all the newer Kirby games in every regard, though.

I've been lucky thus far that there's been no spoilers in my youtube feeds

I am still mad at see nova in a random thumbnail from robobot

Pokemon Power

Today I digitally bought Kirby Planet Robobot. Yeah, I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to clear Dededetour in Triple Deluxe first.

Rakurai

They finally made it so the Arena equivalent records scores for every ability separately now, including no ability.

Can't wait to try the ultimate masochist challenge of no healing, no ability, max difficulty.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I definitely can't wait to get Kirby Star Allies but unfortunately I don't have a Switch right now. Bandana Waddle Dee being playable is a delight because King Dedede was already playable in Dededetour and Meta Knight was playable in Meta Knightmare. And I can't wait to play as Marx eventually.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Currently at the 3rd (and final I presume?) world. I have to say I really LOVE having 3 AI teammates. It causes a mayhem on the screen and I love it.

I can't believe I waited 13 years for this to happen. Kirby 2005 why you got canceled. ;_;

R_N

beat the first world, loved the ending to it. very cute

i wish you could absorb Bandanna Dee. It's very weird they implemented the spear moveset and then put it exclusive to a single character you, as player one, can never use
until post game or the arena

e: OH you can use piggyback technique to control others (temporarily? I fell off of waddle dee in the water). that works

Last edited:

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
So, I completed the main story. This was definitely another fun Kirby game, though, like many reviewers are saying, you can tell the "Return formula" is starting to run a little stale this time around. While I did have a lot of fun, I feel like I could've enjoyed this more playing blind with three actual people instead of the AI. Don't get me wrong, they work great. It's just... this Kirby game, unlike Return, was clearly designed from the ground-up as a co-op game. All of the (very limited) exploration and puzzles revolve around the co-op elements of friends and friend abilities. And that makes them really simple, even by Kirby standards. Return (which was designed so that everything could be done as just Kirby, and then the multiplayer's there if you want it) did have a few tough Energy Spheres to get and some legit headscratching puzzles. Never a problem here. Not to mention, I finished with 150+ lives, which is pretty ridiculous, even for this game. XD

Now for the spoiler stuff...

[SPOIL]Okay, so this is Milky Way Wishes: The Game. And while it's really cool to see a lot of elements from that return in glorious High Dededefinition, this game made me realize how sick of Super Star callbacks I've gotten. Remember when everyone was hyping this game up to be a major love letter to Dreamland 3 and/or Kirby 64? Yeah... that didn't pan out so much. This is another Super Star nostalgia trip, for better or worse. And I do really appreciate the callbacks. Like reusing the "season changing" mechanic for an EX level, for example. Or revamping Twin Woods... as Twin Kracko. But, still, this is as bad as Mario had been with Super Mario Bros. 3 nostalgia until Odyssey came out.

That said, bosses are really fun. Yes, some have elemental weaknesses and can be stunned for massive damage. But the Ultimate Choice (the Arena/True Arena replacement) is here to throw that logic out the window. Many have interesting attacks... especially the Jambastion crew and Hyness. One thing I discovered (that makes me insanely happy) is that you can charge Plasma by shaking the Joy Con, just like Spark in Return. Also, someone at HAL must really love Zelda. Because Hyness is literally Zant, and he summons a demonic god that I can only describe as a cross between Ganon, Skull Kid, and Miracle Matter. Like, seriously. That final boss sequence was nuts. It's also a massive tease for Kirby in 3D... again. But, yeah, I wanna know what drugs the devs were on when they made Void Termina. Answer's probably all of them. XD[/SPOIL]

Overall, really enjoyed it. I hope the next Kirby game will change things up a bit. In the meantime, looking forward to the DLC update... and praying for Magolor, Taranza, and Adeleine to get added in a future update.

Rakurai

I feel convinced that the story writers for Kirby actively enjoy messing with the fanbase with how they love to hint and imply things, but seldom confirm anything directly as a truth.

Void Termina in particular raises more questions then any other final boss in the series, between it using an image of the Master Crown in its most twisted state (The Magolor Soul version) for one of its attacks, its core occasionally having a Kirby face (And sounding like Kirby to boot), and also having several distinctly Dark Matter-esque qualities to it, as well.

R_N

So, I completed the main story. This was definitely another fun Kirby game, though, like many reviewers are saying, you can tell the "Return formula" is starting to run a little stale this time around. While I did have a lot of fun, I feel like I could've enjoyed this more playing blind with three actual people instead of the AI. Don't get me wrong, they work great. It's just... this Kirby game, unlike Return, was clearly designed from the ground-up as a co-op game. All of the (very limited) exploration and puzzles revolve around the co-op elements of friends and friend abilities. And that makes them really simple, even by Kirby standards. Return (which was designed so that everything could be done as just Kirby, and then the multiplayer's there if you want it) did have a few tough Energy Spheres to get and some legit headscratching puzzles. Never a problem here. Not to mention, I finished with 150+ lives, which is pretty ridiculous, even for this game. XD

Now for the spoiler stuff...

[SPOIL]Okay, so this is Milky Way Wishes: The Game. And while it's really cool to see a lot of elements from that return in glorious High Dededefinition, this game made me realize how sick of Super Star callbacks I've gotten. Remember when everyone was hyping this game up to be a major love letter to Dreamland 3 and/or Kirby 64? Yeah... that didn't pan out so much. This is another Super Star nostalgia trip, for better or worse. And I do really appreciate the callbacks. Like reusing the "season changing" mechanic for an EX level, for example. Or revamping Twin Woods... as Twin Kracko. But, still, this is as bad as Mario had been with Super Mario Bros. 3 nostalgia until Odyssey came out.

That said, bosses are really fun. Yes, some have elemental weaknesses and can be stunned for massive damage. But the Ultimate Choice (the Arena/True Arena replacement) is here to throw that logic out the window. Many have interesting attacks... especially the Jambastion crew and Hyness. One thing I discovered (that makes me insanely happy) is that you can charge Plasma by shaking the Joy Con, just like Spark in Return. Also, someone at HAL must really love Zelda. Because Hyness is literally Zant, and he summons a demonic god that I can only describe as a cross between Ganon, Skull Kid, and Miracle Matter. Like, seriously. That final boss sequence was nuts. It's also a massive tease for Kirby in 3D... again. But, yeah, I wanna know what drugs the devs were on when they made Void Termina. Answer's probably all of them. XD[/SPOIL]

Overall, really enjoyed it. I hope the next Kirby game will change things up a bit. In the meantime, looking forward to the DLC update... and praying for Magolor, Taranza, and Adeleine to get added in a future update.

A game can be a love letter to the entire series. While That One Reference is really strong, the game is full of references to a bunch of other games.
Though honestly, I can't blame constantly going to the SS well considering SS had a lot of very memorable iconography ripe for going back to and fleshing out

Though it is a bit odd that the dev's go-to secondary game is...Amazing Mirror, of all things.

I can see the next main line kirb trying for a different art style. And retire "this is the game's calling card" level gimmick shtick: Ultra Abiltiies, Hypernova, Robot, F R I E N D S. They're all fun but it'd be nice for the next gameplay change to be more like the ability mixing. Something imbued into the entire game.

Ambyssin

Okay, not gonna lie, I did an eye roll when they pulled the fake credits gag a second time... but then I burst out laughing when they faked me out with Galacta Knight. That was pretty dang funny. Dunno if it was the fact that Guest Star mode has you boosting stats, or my allies were more helpful than in the main playthrough, but Morpho Knight did not put up nearly as much of a fight as Galacta Knight and Dark Meta Knight in the 3DS games.

Also, it would seem this game actually requires you to do three Arena– sorry, Ultimate Choice runs. I thought I could unlock the higher difficulties by beating Guest Star mode once. Nope. Turns out, you have to beat the Ultimate Choice once in what I'm affectionately calling Weenie Hut Jr. mode (level 5, where many bosses are MIA and Hyness is pretty much the only threat), and then you can unlock level 7, which I'm pretty sure is more like your prototypical Arena. And only then do you get level S, which is probably the True Arena.

Anyone have any recommendation friend combinations if I'm going solo? I used Plasma and never found myself in danger of dying on level 5. My allies were Driblee, Bonkers, and Vividria, but I'm flexible. I know Water and Parasol are very good for Void Termina's on-foot phases. I'm thinking maybe I should pick up a fire element? Dunno...

Lastly, is it me, or is Chef Kawasaki's world 4 variant surprisingly punishing for a mini boss? It's extremely aggressive. XD

Rakurai

Chef Kawasaki is legitimately broken for Arena purposes, as you have a virtually infinite supply of healing items should you decide to make a team consisting of four of him (You can use Cook to convert stars into food items while causing a ton of damage and you can piggyback the AI Kawasaki to make them use their Cook on demand if yours is on cooldown). His standard attacks also cause a reasonable amount of damage and being able to easily hit things directly above you is useful.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just beat the main story. Wow was this game disappointingly short.

[SPOIL]Just 4 worlds + final boss world? This game is shorter than Planet Robobot. I have to wonder if this game was a rush job, it only came out 2 years after Robobot and so many aspects of this game just feel shallow. What was HAL thinking with this game?[/SPOIL]

R_N

if you compare the amount of levels it's still shorter but it's not entire worlds shorter. It's like..7 levels? Or something like that, not sure how it accounts for Robobot/TD/RTD putting bosses as their own stage vs SA giving a level with them, but shorter yeah.

And "only" 2 years later doesn't mean anything. There were 2 years between Triple Deluxe & Robobot, so I doubt it was rushed.

Rakurai

I'm glad it at least has better replayability thanks to the game recording individual scores for each ability this time around.

Though it's a bit unfortunate that using helpers is compulsory if you want to get the best scores in either mode, particularly in the Guest Star mode where piggybacking on a helper with high mobility like Meta Knight or Birdon will make a huge difference.

R_N

I'm still working through the last world, but man Jambastian was really cool. That final level in particular was super slick.

Fallarbor was also really nice. Very pretty, too. Honestly I kind of want the next "game" to be one of RTD, TD or Robobot (all 3 ideally, but that's a pipedream) remade in the engine

Ambyssin

Welp, beat the game 100%...

[SPOIL]... and the only reward this time is a splash screen. Not even a video of everyone doing the Kirby Dance like some of the older games. That's... kind of disappointing, to be honest.[/SPOIL]