• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Kirby series thread (25th anniversary coming up)

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Well, plenty of folks seem to think "New game mode = new secret boss." I'd love that to be true, but I can't help but think that Heroes in Another Dimension will end with the Sisters. Unless, of course, part of the mode involves using your Friend Hearts on them after beating them so you can challenge the new mode's end boss together.

R_N

And here's the sisters!

They play about as you'd expect and it seems their "ally" attack is a screen clearing attack with the friend wheel. Pretty neat

GameFAQs pointed out that another part of the Nintendo Dream article shows that Meta Knight, Dedede & Bandanna Waddle Dee are getting their movesets tweaked a little. Dedede now has his iconic jump attack, for example.

Ambyssin

Can't wait to fight Zan with four Zans for maximum Zaniness!

... I'll show myself out.

R_N

Do they ever do that prayer animation in the actual game? I know their all priestesses, basically, but I can't recall ever seeing it.

I wonder if they'll get a remix of their theme for the Morpho Knight fight? It'd be cool to get a new song for it separate from the usual one &, i assume, different from wahtever song plays in the new mode

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m glad that they are paying homages to past Kirby games. It is nice to see some characters that seemed to have been mostly forgotten or ignored again. Seeing the Animal Friends And Gooey have a relevant role once more was nice and Adeline and Ribbon were shown not to have been completely discarded. And Marx was always an interesting character.

Ambyssin

Do they ever do that prayer animation in the actual game? I know their all priestesses, basically, but I can't recall ever seeing it.
The praying part? No. But Fran and Zan do the bowing animation in their first boss fights.

I wonder if they'll get a remix of their theme for the Morpho Knight fight? It'd be cool to get a new song for it separate from the usual one &, i assume, different from wahtever song plays in the new mode
I'd love a vocal version of the Song of Supplication... but I get the feeling that would never happen.

Ambyssin

I guess my big question is just how long this new mode will be. Is it going to be a 60-90 minute relay like Guest Star Mode, but with puzzles or will it be something more expansive?

R_N

I guess my big question is just how long this new mode will be. Is it going to be a 60-90 minute relay like Guest Star Mode, but with puzzles or will it be something more expansive?
I'm guessing it'll be another speed run/high score type mode so about 60-90 minutes. We know that you get ranked based on how many friend hearst you find, and there seem to be 30 in total. I'm guessing it'll be something like...
Section 1: Kirby, Waddle Dee, Dedede, Meta Knight, Parallel Whispy [check point]
Section 2: Kirby, Wave 1, Dedede [check point]
Section 3: Kirby, Wave 2, Meta Knight [check point]
Section 4: Kirby, Wave 3, Kracko [check point]
Section 5: The finale.

All the bosses are shown being fought as Kirby so the last part of the section (either as a level or a brief corridor straight to the boss where you can swap in friends) probably relays back to Kirby. Not sure if section 5 will have any relay going on or if it'll just be a brief section to lead to the sisters & maybe hyness or the heart.

I suppose this means Pon & Con (& Grand Mam, but she's kind of forgotten about in general) would be the only one without a Parallel fight, but the trailer seems to show off everything bar what is probably the true final boss and four sections with four bosses and four waves of dream friends fits pretty nicely with a5th wave to finish everything off. Guest star was also split in 5

Morpho will probably remain in Guest Star, but maybe Galacta sneaks in to the new arena. They teased us with the theme, now show us the full splendor!

Ambyssin

I'm guessing it'll be another speed run/high score type mode so about 60-90 minutes. We know that you get ranked based on how many friend hearst you find, and there seem to be 30 in total. I'm guessing it'll be something like...
I could definitely see that formula working. Rather than the emphasis being on speedrunning like Guest Star, the emphasis is on puzzle solving and mastery of Dream Friends and Friend Abilities in general if you want to get all the Friend Hearts and earn the best ranking.

I suppose this means Pon & Con (& Grand Mam, but she's kind of forgotten about in general) would be the only one without a Parallel fight, but the trailer seems to show off everything bar what is probably the true final boss and four sections with four bosses and four waves of dream friends fits pretty nicely with a5th wave to finish everything off. Guest star was also split in 5
In fairness... I don't blame them for leaving Pon & Con out. There's really not much you can do with a boss that just runs back and forth. The fact that the best they could come up with for Goldon & Silvox was "let's add a few more rows and make 'em faster," shows they were probably out of ideas. At first, I had an idea that a Parallel Pon & Con could employ their own Friend Train (with Pon & Con Jrs.) to try and stampede you, since Parallel Dedede's bouncing attack looked like a glorified Friend Throw/Toss and that made me wonder if maybe the bosses would all get friend attacks like Hyness, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As for the trailer, I'm hoping it's a true final boss. But there's also the possibility that it's A) just Parallel Void Termina or B) a cutscene of the Jamba Heart being sealed because, in actuality, Kirby & his friends were the original four heroes. Hyness tried to pull Void Termina from another time period using Another Dimension, but Kirby stops him and creates a stable time loop.

Morpho will probably remain in Guest Star, but maybe Galacta sneaks in to the new arena. They teased us with the theme, now show us the full splendor!
The theme was just ripped from Return to Dreamland, though. Unless you're talking about his model because, yeah, why go make an HD model for Galacta Knight if it's only for a "gotcha!" joke. I'd be down for Galacta Knight crashing Soul Eater Extra just because he can and b/c i think we can all agree morpho's a pushover unless you're doing solo, no ability soul melter.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I actually want to see Kaboola take Grand Mam’s Boss spot and you need the Friendship to shoot it down.

R_N

The other part of the Nintendo Dream article was an interview with the director and has now been translated. It's pretty interesting, I suggest giving it a look
https://kirbypost-generator.tumblr....exclusive-info-from-the-recent-nintendo-dream

Some highlights:
  • He very bluntly admits that there were things they didn't do as well as they could have and that his mode is trying to tell the story they wanted to
  • The difficulty of the mode is being underlined with "sweltering"
  • Implied that collecting the friend hearts will make some thing easier at the end
  • Story dialog in the main game will be getting updated
I love how earnest this guy is about Kirby's story. The decision to bring story up more in the games since back in Returns is nice, you know?

Rakurai

I feel pretty darn sure there's another boss after the three sisters after seeing that new teaser with the seemingly reformed dark heart.

If it's seriously rough enough that they added the friend hearts as a cushion to make it easier, then I'm hyped (Especially since they'll probably force you to do an unnerfed version of the boss in Soul Meter Extra).

Ambyssin

Thinking about it, they could really make some tough Friend Ability sections for this mode. Heck, if there are four sections based around each group of Dream Friends, they could cap each section off with a Friend Ability where you team up with said Dream Friends. So, like, the JP trailer for HiAD showed a Friend Circle with the Return buddies. So maybe sections 2-4 will have brutally tough Friend Bridge/Train/Ship sections? I'd be down. I really liked the extra Friend Train sections for Guest Star Mode.

Implied that collecting the friend hearts will make some thing easier at the end
Are we gonna make the Love-Love Stick? That'd be great! :p

R_N

Thinking about it, they could really make some tough Friend Ability sections for this mode. Heck, if there are four sections based around each group of Dream Friends, they could cap each section off with a Friend Ability where you team up with said Dream Friends. So, like, the JP trailer for HiAD showed a Friend Circle with the Return buddies. So maybe sections 2-4 will have brutally tough Friend Bridge/Train/Ship sections? I'd be down. I really liked the extra Friend Train sections for Guest Star Mode.

Are we gonna make the Love-Love Stick? That'd be great! :p
I would prefer they leave Friend Bridge in the trash where it belongs. "Difficult" versions of that would really just be obnoxious and it's already the slowest friend ability section

I'll take 2 ships, though, because that's a pretty underused friend ability. Wheel gets the most use in the main game while Train really comes to a head in Guest Star.

R_N

Sorry for the double post, but a correction. The people translating the Interview had a bunch fake information (like admitting they didn't do all they wanted to begin with) throughout to lure out a plagerist
https://kirbypost-generator.tumblr....-this-is-prewritten-because-im-at-a-very-busy

kind of a dumb plan especially since it didn't work and now everyone will remember that first.

an actual, proper, shorter translation of the interview is in progress

Last edited:

R_N

The update is live.
Some details about the update
It's split into 4 areas, with 30 hearts each. They state that the hearts determine your rank at the end of the mode and it seems implied there's a true ending if you collect them all
I missed 8 of the things in Area 1.

If Area 1 is any indication, it's structured like this:
-A normal kirby area
-Kirby area with a power (Area 1 had Fighter)
-Friend 1 (Bandanna Dee)
-Friend 2 (Dedede)
-Friend 3 (Meta Knight)
-Kirby area (Fire for ARea 1)
-Area based on a friend ability. Area 1 is (sigh) the bridge. I assume 2 is wheel ,3 is train 4 and the shoot em up
-Boss (Parallel Whispy)

Area 1 took me about 30 minutes? The levels are pretty meaty and it's basically a bunch of consectuive puzzles based on the dream friend, often with powers tied in. I think there's a few screens each, Meta Knight seemed to have 3. Heads up: Dedede's puzzles in particular are pretty rough since they're time based and you only have one shot unless you kill yourself.
It's much less generous on lives since that's the only real way to retry these things. Make them count.

When you beat an Area you get a check point just like in Guest Star.

Parallel Whispy wasn't too changed up, but he was stronger, way faster and had way more health. He adds bouncing gordos that go around the arena and fruits that set the floor on fire.

It's pretty cool

Rakurai

The level design of this mode is...questionable.

It gives you touchy puzzles that often aren't clear as to how you're meant to do them properly until you mess up once, and you can't reset some of them by dying and need to restart the level entirely if you mess up.

You aren't allowed to retry an individual level after clearing it, either, and need to restart the mode entirely if you cleared a level without getting all of the hearts but still want the highest rank.

R_N

The level design of this mode is...questionable.

It gives you touchy puzzles that often aren't clear as to how you're meant to do them properly until you mess up once, and you can't reset some of them by dying and need to restart the level entirely if you mess up.

You aren't allowed to retry an individual level after clearing it, either, and need to restart the mode entirely if you cleared a level without getting all of the hearts but still want the highest rank.
Bandanna Dee's first optional heart really threw me for a loop because you only get one shot at it and there's no quick pit near by. I didn't realize I messed up until it was too late.
Dedede's final puzzle also got me, though I understood how to do it I just didn't full grasp the speed with which it needed to happen. And they're very clever with not giving you other Hammers or Stones so you can't cheese it. I respect the hussle though.

I just finished area 2 and I think over all I still enjoy the level design going on even if the puzzle timing can be tight. Really, just making each area its own set of consecutive puzzles is just...interesting. Kirby usually isn't set up like that and it makes thing very frenetic and Kirby usually doesn't ask sharp timing from you. So I might be grading on curve

I'd say there's only one area I straight up didn't like
Marx's second screen. It's not hard by any means but it's the only one that doesn't seem set up to take advantage of his traits. All the others do a resonable-to-great job of emphasizing something they can do (meta knight is fast, rick/coo/kine has you use EVERYONE's special traits, etc) but this seemed phoned in. Shame, the previous screen with teh water puzzles was pretty fun.

I will say that while I get, conceptually, making this mode like this it seems at odds with itself. If my times for these continue at this pace it's probably about 2 hours? Maybe a little over? Not bad for an extra bit of free DLC full of original level design. But it wants you to gather hearts as a replayability goal. Replaying guest star takes about an hour or maybe an hour and a half depending on the friend, but that's not too much...this, though. Is pretty involved.

Ambyssin

Welp, I managed to finish HiAD...

Unless there's a secret boss for getting all 120 Friend Hearts, I am disappointed that the mode ended with the Mage-Sisters fight, as I predicted it would...

... but then Soul Melter EX pulled the rug out from under my feet. Good grief... I'm not very good at video games, but this level is as evil as that Nintendo Dream made it sound. Hell, the lobby music starts with Void Termina's theme, as if the game's taunting you. Unlike the other Ultimate Choice levels, the Parallel bosses do not adjust their health for the number of friends you bring. I tried to go solo with Marx and quit after Parallel Woods took me three minutes and most of my health. Returned with the heaviest hitters (Magolor, Marx, Dark Meta Knight, Mage-Sisters) and cleared Parallel Woods in just under a minute. I was not prepared for Morpho Knight EX (HAL was listening to our complains about how easy Morpho Knight was, apparently).

Then Void Termina gets another EX variant... but this is true 3D bullet-hell! And it all ends off with the wild implication that Void Termina is, essentially, the tortured soul of the weird-looking original boxart Kirby. It smiles blissfully upon being defeated and you unlock a skin of Kirby from the original Dream Land's boxart. And it's set to this haunting track that starts with Void Soul's theme and descends into a somber piece mixed with chiptune elements of the original Kirby's Dream Land theme.

I had low expectations since this was free DLC. Despite the fact that all the bosses were indeed buffed up reskins, I still enjoyed this a lot. ^^